PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts: My first 8th ed game. 2k flanking Vaargulf phalanx

mr_gosh_the_return
22-08-2011, 20:10
Hello All,

I'm playing my 1st *th ed game in a few weeks, vs Skaven and then vs Dark Elves and need an opinion on an army to improve the list. All advice gratefully recieved, along with any helpful tactics.

Heroes

1 Vampire + Nightshroud 120
1 Vampire + Summon Ghouls 115
1 Vampire + Summon Ghouls 115
1 Isabella Von Cartestein 90

Core
30 Ghouls + Ghast 248 Lead by a vampire
30 Ghouls + Ghast 248 Lead by a vampire
20 Zombies 80

Special
19 Grave Guard, full command, banner of barrows 322 with Nightshroud vamp
19 Grave Guard, full command, standard of strigoi 312 with Isabella

Rare
1 Vargulf 175
1 Vargulf 175

Total 2000 exactly.

The plan is a strong core of ghouls with grave guard on the outer edges and vargulfs flanking. All critiquing welcome.

Give Zombies a standard bearer so you'll last longer in Blood and Glory scenario.

Isn't Isabella supposed to accompany and heal a more important Vampire? Just by herself, she could die in one round of close combat. Not sure, never used her...

I like this list, it's pretty different from usual VC lists. Four Vampires is unusual, I always just take one big fat Lord.

mr_gosh_the_return
22-08-2011, 21:12
What would be the advantage to one big lord? I've not played VC yet so I've no idea how to play them.

thesheriff
24-08-2011, 09:01
What would be the advantage to one big lord? I've not played VC yet so I've no idea how to play them.

Higher magic level, more wounds, more combat ability, more space for wargear and vampiric powers. And, as VC generals are so important, it's best to get a lord at 1.5k+ really.

I would go with;

Helm of Commandment
Dawnstone
Flayed hauberk
Forbidden lore (vampire)
Summon ghouls
Dark acolyte
Ghoulkin

Gives you a solid caster, who gives WS7 to a unit. And, he has a 2+ rerollable AS.

Also, a vampire with the gem of "I take a wound, I get a powerdice" sitting next to Isabella (who heals wounds), is a nice little trick.

thesheriff

Iniesta
24-08-2011, 11:14
You need to kit out your characters more. And drop the zombies, they autodie in 8`th against anything strong.
Vampirecounts have few builds that woork well now if you want to win. The most common approach i think is by dominating magic. Then you need a expensive lord caster tooled out for magic and probably helm of commandment and or a wightking with regenbanner. As we already have one phase we no nothing/little (the shootingphase) and crumble when we loose fights we need buffs.
The secont approach is also by characters, but a more combatoriented and by a little magic support.
The GG is a bit fragile with only 19. I recomend you munch them together.

BigbyWolf
24-08-2011, 12:21
The extra magic boost from the lord is overrated, if you like running the four separate vamps, then I say do so. The only issue I have is the one raised for Isabella, as others have stated she works best as support for a lord-type character.

Other than that, units of Ghouls that you can boost up- Good, although I’d make one unit of 40 and drop the Zombies for a unit of skeletons with standard.
2 Varghulfs- Good. Have them work together on one flank for maximum fun.
I’d combine the Graveguard into one unit.

I like the idea in general, it's great to see something other that the standard, boring lists that crop up.

eggspr
25-08-2011, 04:21
I'd definately combined the GG, perhaps replace one the vamps with a Wight King BSB in your GG unit. Also, consider giving all your GG great weapons. +2 Strength helps!

mr_gosh_the_return
25-08-2011, 08:05
Brilliant! Thanks guys, i think dropping Isabella and the unit of zombies, and combining the unit of grave guard sounds good. I was worried about my characters being underpowered. My only worry is that doesn't leave me with many units. Wouldn't that be a problem against Skaven, as it would make me easy to outflank (as I say, unfamiliar with the way 8th ed works).

Brilliant! Thanks guys, i think dropping Isabella and the unit of zombies, and combining the unit of grave guard sounds good. I was worried about my characters being underpowered. My only worry is that doesn't leave me with many units. Wouldn't that be a problem against Skaven, as it would make me easy to outflank (as I say, unfamiliar with the way 8th ed works).

I don't think it would make your army especially easy to outflank. You do have 2 Varghulfs who can effectively protect your wings, plus you can try to summon Zombie speedbumps/redirectors if things go badly. Try and see.

A more obvious weakness is your lack of Fortitude points in the banner scenario. If you combine the GG units, you'll end up with only 3 Fortitude = auto loss. I don't have the rulebook with me right now, but I remember it went like that...

BigbyWolf
25-08-2011, 15:48
I don't think it would make your army especially easy to outflank. You do have 2 Varghulfs who can effectively protect your wings, plus you can try to summon Zombie speedbumps/redirectors if things go badly. Try and see.

A more obvious weakness is your lack of Fortitude points in the banner scenario. If you combine the GG units, you'll end up with only 3 Fortitude = auto loss. I don't have the rulebook with me right now, but I remember it went like that...

Surely that would only matter in a competitive environment though? Whenever I've faced someone who didn't have enough banners, we've simply rerolled the scenario.

Surely that would only matter in a competitive environment though? Whenever I've faced someone who didn't have enough banners, we've simply rerolled the scenario.

But isn't that a bit...lame? I'm quite sure B&G has been included to encourage people to take balanced armies with several units, instead of just a few huge blocks.

I play Ghoul-heavy VC and B&G is the scenario I dread the most. I know I am at a disadvantage, but it is my own fault and my own gamble, and I always just grit my teeth and try my best.

My basic 2400 point army has the general, bsb and 2 banners to keep me going at least a couple of turns.

BigbyWolf
26-08-2011, 08:52
But isn't that a bit...lame? I'm quite sure B&G has been included to encourage people to take balanced armies with several units, instead of just a few huge blocks.

I play Ghoul-heavy VC and B&G is the scenario I dread the most. I know I am at a disadvantage, but it is my own fault and my own gamble, and I always just grit my teeth and try my best.

My basic 2400 point army has the general, bsb and 2 banners to keep me going at least a couple of turns.

In the long run, probably, but I suppose we're lucky that it doesn't come up very often anyway. In this case though, given that the OP is just starting, I'd say it's entirely acceptable.

In the long run, probably, but I suppose we're lucky that it doesn't come up very often anyway. In this case though, given that the OP is just starting, I'd say it's entirely acceptable.

Yeah, I agree.:)

I still do recommend trying all-comers and all-scenarios lists after some practise with 8th Ed.

mr_gosh_the_return
29-08-2011, 07:45
Thanks again. I think it's a trip to GW on payday to get some more ghouls & grave guard!

firesborn
30-08-2011, 01:10
I have Played dwarfs for about 8 years and I just got a desent VC army from a garage sale and I am trying to learn to play them I have the book, but has one come up for 8th edition yet ? how does the 1 unsuccesful cast no more magic work on VC since they have to be casting so much to bring bodies back doesnt that suck a bit too much?
If anyone can give me hints on how to use my VC this is the list of models I have
4 Vamps 2 mounted 2 on foot
1 vamp on zombie dragon
10 Black knights
6 Blood knights
1Wight king mounted
1 Vamp with BSB
30 ghouls
60 zombies
40 skelies
1 corpse cart
3 bat swarms
3 spirit host
2 cairn wraith
1 banshee
2 varghulfs
10 dire wolves
Can anyone help me come up with a 2k and a 3k army list ?
thanks Fire