PDA

View Full Version : Super SoM battle coming up - 4000 pts DE

wbravenboer
23-08-2011, 10:28
Guys,
in a few weeks time we are playing a huge Storm of Magic game, at least 12.000 points a side, 6 players total. We are using a big room at work, so plenty of space!
Currently I am planning a list for my Dark Elves, it will be 4000 points, with 1000 points SoM.
Roughly I was thinking about this:
Dreadlord on Black Dragon, with his Crown of Command and Pendant and the Death-piercer (lance, killing blow)
Supreme Sorceress, level 4, Dark Magic (items not yet decided)
Sorceress, lvl 2
Sorceress, lvl 2
Master BsB
Hag with Cauldron
Master on Manticore
50 Warriors, spears + assassin
20 Warriors, crossbows
40 Corsairs
10 Dark Riders
10 Cold One Knights
1 Chariot
20 Black Guard with Kouran
1 Hydra
2 Bolt Throwers
1x Cockatrice
1x Exalted Bloodthirster (I got the FW one...)

Tips, advice, ideas? I am a bit constricted by models, but I have some more Knights, Witch elves and Executioners...

It's gonna be a big game!

madden
23-08-2011, 12:59
You could drop the supream sorceress and use the lord on dragon as malekith he's also a level 4 and has a nice magic armour then give the ring of hotek to the manti master and send him off to shut down some of there magic and make sure you have shadow on at least one sorceress as the dominance spell of that lore is evil !!! Good luck.

tmarichards
23-08-2011, 13:26
I'd advise against taking Malekith, on the grounds that he's awful.

Kouran is also not really worth his points.

Something I think you'd really benefit from taking is a Master on a Dark Peg with lance, heavy armour, shield, Cloak of Hag Graef and Ring of Hotek.

wbravenboer
23-08-2011, 14:22
We are probably not going to use named characters (rumors of Teclis did appear), although 'smaller' characters and/or upgrades could be possible. I like Kouran as he makes his unit unbreakable, mostly I give them an armour piercing banner too... but
What is the advantage of the Pegasus over the Manticore? I do not have a Pegasus model, and have the new Manticore (with the mounted Dark Elf lord of the Black dragon).
Nice tips already, ring of hotek is excellent. Enemies will be at least two big High Elf armies...

undeadgoblin
23-08-2011, 15:14
Probably something you're loathe to do, but advisable, would be to not use the Exalted Bloodthirster. It's ability makes anything in combat with him more likely to kill him. Any of the other 3 fare almost as good in combat, and have magic to boot.

tmarichards
23-08-2011, 16:33
The advantage of the peg over the manticore is that the peg can't be targeted or killed separately to the rider, so there's no chance the rider will be left to walk.

wbravenboer
23-08-2011, 16:47
I know that the Bloodthirster is probably not the most 'logical' choice, but the model is too awesome not to use ;)
I don't like to use 'count as' models, so no pegasus probably, my co-players will probably playing chaos, we will confer with each-other. Fulcrum hunting is pretty effective, and I have to protect my supreme sorceress too, perhaps the chaos players will use a deamon prince as a fulcrum-occupier.

Bun Bun
23-08-2011, 17:40
For a 4000pts Storm of Magic army you do not have enough spellcasters. At this level you need at least four as it gives you a back-up should one of them die. I would drop the level 4 and take two level 2 spellcasters instead.
With Dark Magic being ascendant half the time and no limit on how many power dice you can use getting spells of should not be an issue.
I would recommend placing the BSB in the unit of spear warriors, dropping the chariot and ensure you equip your assassin for killing monsters and characters so that he can protect your BSB.

The exalted bloodthirster will receive a lot of attention, but it will benefit your army well. Just make sure you stop it from being unbound as that can hurt.