PDA

View Full Version : Empire 2.5k Gunline

EnglishGor
23-08-2011, 14:22
Hi all i'm new to empire and yet to purchase any troops and wanted to run through this list with u lot before i go out and buy it.

Wizard Level 4 (death)
rod of power
4+ ward

General
Full Plate + Shield

Wizard Level 2 (fire)
Scroll

BSB Meteroic armour

3x 30 Halberdiers FCG (5x6)
with 2x 10 Handgunner detachments each

2 Mortars

2 Cannons

2 Volley Guns

2 Rockets

and 5 Pistoliers with Mus + Champ

muse1c
23-08-2011, 16:11
Engineers!!! I would either slim down on Halberdiers, i.e 2 units of 35? This would mean that you could get at least one Engineer. I'd also drop either a Hellstorm or Helblaster to get some Engineers. They really are worth it in my opinion, it's better to have slightly less artillery- but the knowledge that they won't be malfunctioning left, right and centre :D
The Razor Standard might also be a nice investment for one of the Halberdier blocks. -2 to armour saves can pack quite a punch.
Lore of Heavens is also a good option I've found. Chain Lightning and Comet are very good, but so is the boosted Harmonic Convergence. All units within 12" having re-rolls to hit and wound really makes Mortars etc extremely deadly.

Overall I think the list is very good though, I'd just look at investing in some Engineers to keep your artillery in check; quality over quantity perhaps? :)

Cheers

Edit: Should probably be in the 'Army Lists' section

sulla
23-08-2011, 19:42
So you've made an army that forces the enemy to come forward at full speed, but I only see one unit that can slow them on the way in.

I'd drop half the handgunner detatchments to boost the numbers in the halberdiers (30's of unarmoured humans are not scary, despite the s4) and drop one artillery piece for more pistoliers and an engineer.

EnglishGor
23-08-2011, 21:45
I had thought about doppin 3 units of detachments for some free company detachemnts to march them forward to get in the way to give me an
extra turn of shooting

muse1c
24-08-2011, 08:51
I think it's more the fact that the units of 30 aren't quite enough to stop other big/elite enemy units. I'd either invest in more troops, or getting some good magic banners in there- Razor Standard and Griffon Standard are two good choices.
Engineers are also a defnite must have, especially when you're taking so much volatile artillery as this.

Cheers

Fieos
24-08-2011, 13:59
I have a variation of this list and you are going to run into some challenges. On the tournament scene you will run into challenges with Lizardmen, Daemons, VC, and possibly WoC.

Personally I think you should consider cheap warrior priests to give those halberdiers hatred. You also will need probably two engineers to keep that list going smoothly.

My preference would be to drop one block of halberdiers and take a unit of knights (stubborn if possible) as they have better range for counter-charging stuff that has to come towards your gunline.

TheMadMarquis
24-08-2011, 16:42
Drop both Helblasters and one of the Handgunner detatchments, use the 300 points to buy two Engineers and 10 extra Halberdiers for each unit, and switch the General to an Arch-Lector for bonus dispel dice and Hatred. Have you considered a Captasus to kill warmachine hunting flyers/scouts?

Morax
25-08-2011, 18:47
Drop both Helblasters and one of the Handgunner detatchments, use the 300 points to buy two Engineers and 10 extra Halberdiers for each unit, and switch the General to an Arch-Lector for bonus dispel dice and Hatred. Have you considered a Captasus to kill warmachine hunting flyers/scouts?

Solid ideas one and all. I'd even go so far as to drop a second detatchment of handgunners to get a pair of small free company detatchments for speed bumps. If you are going for a gun line you need to extend the number of rounds you can spend shooting. If you haven't planned ahead and your opponent goes first you can wind up with only a single turn of shooting, then you are in a world of hurt.

Sh4d0w
27-08-2011, 13:16
This might seem like a really pointless post but are you sure you want to play a gun-line? I know for a fact that in my area if anybody played a gun-line they would get very fun games. Maybe your just in a more competitive area?

D'Haran
27-08-2011, 14:10
I've never liked playing a gunline (tried it a few times), and even less enjoyed playing against one. I find a more well rounded army that can maneuver to be the most fun. keep 4-5 war machines to force the enemy forward and dumping the rest in combat units is the way to go.

However if you're sold on a gunline I'd drop both rockets for 2 engineers and more core (combat units), then change your lvl 2 wizard to heavens and blast the enemy with -1 and -3 leadership (maybe even both on the same unit?) and target that unit to make them panic up a storm. The one time I used this tactic I got to go first and I forced my enemies general+lvl 4 wizard and a huge unit of core to panic right off the table before he could move.