PDA

View Full Version : Working with Papa Nurgle.

RTGamer
24-08-2011, 20:30
After seeing the new plastic Nurgle Lord I have confirmed to myself that I want to do a WoC Nurgle Army.

Now i was thinking of Mono God for this but then thought hmmm (The mark is pretty pricey so maybe a suplimental god?)... Khorne would be a good representation or fever given rabies toting men from the northlands.

So I was planning on using a Khorne/Nurgle hybrid. I was wondering if anyone has used Nurgle and liked the way he works and has any tactical advice?

I'd prefer monogod tbh however we play pretty comeptitive around here and don't want to get stomped every time.

Thanks in advance.

Rogzor87
24-08-2011, 21:30
what new plastic Nurgle Lord if i may inquire?

Zirkonicky
24-08-2011, 21:33
I play WoC, and mostly use Nurgle for my units. The Nurgle Lore kicks ass, my sorcerer did awesome damage the last few games I played. Nurgle on wariors works great as well.

I play Nurgle mostly for the fluff though, I like Khorne & Nurgle most for Chaos. Since I don't want my warriors charging into every unit they see Nurgle seemed the best option.

RTGamer
24-08-2011, 21:34
what new plastic Nurgle Lord if i may inquire?

Check the September releases in the Rumour section... He is huge, bloated and carries a big axe... What more do I need?

BaSe
24-08-2011, 21:39
I have a nurgle unit with the banner of rage. Worth it on ur main unit (best of both worlds, khorne and nurgle).

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.077393,-2.842787

Rogzor87
24-08-2011, 22:19
That model makes me want to play WoC again. That and the new FW book on the way(eventually) really really wants me to play them again.

popisdead
24-08-2011, 22:26
I've written up quite a few WoC Nurgle army lists (to never get around to fielding them of course ;) however I have a few pointers:

Take Festus in a block of 50 Marauders w/ GWs and the Mark of Khorne. The poison S5 attacks aren't really that key (they are nice but generally poison is better when you are S2/3) but the fun part is having a 5+ regen on a unit that people fear already.

Festus taking what is now an spell allows your level 4 caster to get better spells. IMO the Lore of Nurgle is really sweet and has some very nice handy spells.

The other trick to do is Miasma (take a low level caster with shadow, not sure if the Book of Secrets allows Shadow) but cast Miasma down on WS and with MoN you have a chance to get an opponents WS to 0 which means you automatically hit them and are only hit back on 6s. Your Warriors or Chosen at Init 5/6 with Halberds and the Banner of Rage will then output a huge number of wounds and not take many back.

I think Mono-nurgle is possible but more elite and tricky than straight Tzeentch/Khorne. Also this is not really Mono as Khorne Marauders are arguably the default config for that unit so,.. breaks a couple rules?

Yrrdead
24-08-2011, 22:43
That isn't quite correct Popisdead.

The -1 WS is when targeting (aka attacking ) a Nurgle marked unit in combat.

Page 110 - The Mark of Nurgle
Change the second paragraph to "A model with the Mark of Nurgle is difficult to target. Ranged attacks that target him are at -1 To Hit. Models that target him in close combat are at -1 WS."

Now this isn't new , it has been around since 8th FAQ's first hit. And the WS0 issue likewise has been hashed out a bit. Most common case MoN Knights, fear causing the enemy unit to be WS 1, MoN putting them at WS 0 when attacking the knights.

What do they hit on? Well there isn't really any guidance but If I had to argue it I would say 5 because that is the highest the to hit chart goes up to. Nothing indicates that they would need 6's to hit.

Honestly I feel that they shouldn't be able to attack at all. But again the rules are clearly absent in the case of WS0 as it relates in this case. And attacks are tied to your attack characteristic.

TLDR; MoN + Miasma will not let you autohit nor will they need 6+ to hit you.

Trustey
24-08-2011, 23:17
Anyone ever tried to set up a Festus unit designed to catch fleeing units for the VP bonus he has? Like fit in the banner that adds +1 to movement, and a killy bsb with the gift that makes fleeing units discards the highest die? Having a hard hitting nurgle unit with a regenerating poisoning possibly palanquin mounted bsb would be pretty scary. Run some ld re-rolling trolls along the flanks and now the enemy has to make some scary choices on where to aim flaming attacks if they have them. GW marauders or halberd warriors would work great. Chosen would be insane.

Rosstifer
25-08-2011, 04:49
I've had some success running Mono-Nurgle, Just the usual Sorc Lord (the lore is ok) BSB, 2 Blocks of Warriors (One GWs with Standard of Discipline, Halberds with Banner of Rage), GW Marauder Horde, Warshrine and Chosen block with Halberds. Does it work? Yes. Is it competitive? Yes. Would it be more competitive with Tzeentch and Khorne? Yes, sadly, but the fact is Warriors and Chosen are pretty damn hard no matter what mark they have. And Green Chaos Armour looks awesome.

Yrrdead
25-08-2011, 05:26
Anyone ever tried to set up a Festus unit designed to catch fleeing units for the VP bonus he has? Like fit in the banner that adds +1 to movement, and a killy bsb with the gift that makes fleeing units discards the highest die? Having a hard hitting nurgle unit with a regenerating poisoning possibly palanquin mounted bsb would be pretty scary. Run some ld re-rolling trolls along the flanks and now the enemy has to make some scary choices on where to aim flaming attacks if they have them. GW marauders or halberd warriors would work great. Chosen would be insane.

+1 movement wouldn't increase your chances of catching a fleeing unit. Though the gift does work and I have had that combo used against me.

Trustey
25-08-2011, 16:49
+1 movement wouldn't increase your chances of catching a fleeing unit. Though the gift does work and I have had that combo used against me.

Oh yeah. You'd probably do better with a Banner of Rage anyway.

hamsterwheel
25-08-2011, 17:02
That isn't quite correct Popisdead.

The -1 WS is when targeting (aka attacking ) a Nurgle marked unit in combat.

Now this isn't new , it has been around since 8th FAQ's first hit. And the WS0 issue likewise has been hashed out a bit. Most common case MoN Knights, fear causing the enemy unit to be WS 1, MoN putting them at WS 0 when attacking the knights.

What do they hit on? Well there isn't really any guidance but If I had to argue it I would say 5 because that is the highest the to hit chart goes up to. Nothing indicates that they would need 6's to hit.

Honestly I feel that they shouldn't be able to attack at all. But again the rules are clearly absent in the case of WS0 as it relates in this case. And attacks are tied to your attack characteristic.

TLDR; MoN + Miasma will not let you autohit nor will they need 6+ to hit you.

Units auto hit WS0 models(Ref. Page 4 of the rulebook under Characteristics of Zero), however they can still attack back hitting on 5s.

popisdead
25-08-2011, 17:09

That's interesting. Still, there are a few things I want to point out.

The To-Hit chart is 25+ years old and static (arguably, after seeing the always wound on 6s it may change, yaaay if it does). Because the chart doesn't specify a WS 0 does not mean it's not part of the game now.

As far as you feeling they shouldn't be able to attack at all, there is nothing in the rulebook stating you do not attack, however there is a rule stating you always hit on 6s.

TheOneHawk
25-08-2011, 18:17
WS0 means you don't have any ability in the WS department, so you should be able to attack and be unable to hit. Says somewhere that if you have 0 in a characteristic you have no skill in it at all.

Auto hit doesn't matter, because it's a defensive ONLY upgrade. Not offensive.

Dark Aly
25-08-2011, 18:30
I have also dabbled in Mono-nurgle WoC and I quite like a giant with the mark as I find it's usually the arrows/bolts/bullets that finnish him off and now the +1 to hit a large target doesn't exist it is (IMHO) even better. Obviously the mark of Slaanesh is the best for a giant but they can be good with nurgle too. Imagine the modelling opportunities too :)

Andy p
25-08-2011, 18:42
I love nurgle, he seems to be the least loved chaos god of them all, yet he is so fatherly and loving, what gives?

Jack of Blades
25-08-2011, 18:45
I love nurgle, he seems to be the least loved chaos god of them all, yet he is so fatherly and loving, what gives?

People want what they can't have. Everyone can have Nurgle's love, no one can have Khorne's love - take a guess as to why Khorne is the most popular Chaos god :p

RTGamer
25-08-2011, 19:43
So Folks what would be the best formation for 50 MoN Marauders? 5x10 or 6x8? Or should I go Hoarde with them?

OR

Is it just a point sink in a semi competitive army and I should just go Khorne? (Rebid Marauders or Beserkers)

Rogzor87
25-08-2011, 21:06
I myself always wanted to try 50(10x5) with Wulfrik and come up from a flanking board edge.

LordoftheBrassThrone
26-08-2011, 00:50
I have also dabbled in Mono-nurgle WoC and I quite like a giant with the mark as I find it's usually the arrows/bolts/bullets that finnish him off and now the +1 to hit a large target doesn't exist it is (IMHO) even better. Obviously the mark of Slaanesh is the best for a giant but they can be good with nurgle too. Imagine the modelling opportunities too :)

Ah, boobgiant :evilgrin:

SkawtheFalconer
26-08-2011, 10:19
Does anyone take a fighty Nurgle Hero/Lord, and if so could they recommend a build? I love the model, but short of pretending it's Festus (with a small kit bash) I'm struggling to think where I'm going to field it (I don't usually take MoN units)

GenerationTerrorist
26-08-2011, 18:40
For a Nurgle Combat Monster of a Lord, how about something like:
- Palanquin, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Bronze Armour, Helm of Many Eyes, Stream of Corruption.
Stick him in a unit of MoN Warriors with Banner of Rage.

He will dish out 6 S7 ASF Attacks, plus the 6 S3 Poisoned Attacks from his Palanquin. He has a 3+/4++ Save, and is immune to Poison and Killing Blow, as well as having a nifty Breath Weapon. A complete monster in Challenges :-)

RanaldLoec
26-08-2011, 19:11
For a Nurgle Combat Monster of a Lord, how about something like:
- Palanquin, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Bronze Armour, Helm of Many Eyes, Stream of Corruption.
Stick him in a unit of MoN Warriors with Banner of Rage.

He will dish out 6 S7 ASF Attacks, plus the 6 S3 Poisoned Attacks from his Palanquin. He has a 3+/4++ Save, and is immune to Poison and Killing Blow, as well as having a nifty Breath Weapon. A complete monster in Challenges :-)

ASL in combination with ASF means he would strike in normal initiative order. Drop the great weapon or the helm of many eyes. Personally I think the glaive of putrification (spelt horribly) would be very fluffy and effective on a Nurgle lord.

Dark Aly
27-08-2011, 00:45
I like the glaive of putrification and a potion of strength- have in a unit of knights with the banner of eternal flame and just laugh at hell pits, hydras and the like (and treemen)

RTGamer
27-08-2011, 02:42
Banner of eternal flame is useless on knights unless you give them lances.

Dark Aly
27-08-2011, 11:23
Banner of eternal flame is useless on knights unless you give them lances.

Why is that? I don't remember anything about it not working on magic weapons.

SkawtheFalconer
27-08-2011, 12:31
Have another look at the flaming rules in BRB.

Dark Aly
27-08-2011, 12:56
Ah ok, don't believe I missed that. Still like the glaive and potion combo though- T2 steam tanks really aren't scary at all.

Trustey
27-08-2011, 21:33
The only thing I don't like about mono nurgle is you can only take one banner of rage. I'd need to have at least one MoK unit making a guest appearance.

SkawtheFalconer
28-08-2011, 10:12
You could justify it in fluff terms by saying they're actually nurgle worrshippers who caught the rage virus from 28 days later. :D

Kharn_21
29-08-2011, 19:11
Have another look at the flaming rules in BRB.

Can you quote that bit for me, I'm not seeing it and i have the BRB infront of me and it says nothing about it in the flaming attacks special rule

Loopstah
29-08-2011, 19:25
Can you quote that bit for me, I'm not seeing it and i have the BRB infront of me and it says nothing about it in the flaming attacks special rule

The very last part of the Flaming Attacks rule in brackets.

Kharn_21
29-08-2011, 20:48
The very last part of the Flaming Attacks rule in brackets.

that little tidbit is buried.. This is what I get for skimming a bit bc I remembered most of the rules.. DOH!