PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a single box of space marines?

Scaryscarymushroom
24-08-2011, 23:34
Last wednesday, my brother had a birthday party. Initially, he wanted to buy all his guests a bare bones army, which would amount to approximately 60$ per guest.

He wanted to hold a speed building/painting competition and have a series of small unbalanced games afterwards.

As this idea quickly became very expensive, we opted for a change in plans. Instead, We got a single tactical squad. We opened the box, and I assembled 3 marines, using tons of parts from my bits box to make awesome* conversions. I then painted one of them to have gold armor with blue trim, one to have silver armor with red trim, and one to have bronze armor with white trim.

This left 7 marines and a whole host of plastic goodies.
There were 2 hosts, and 5 guests arrived. Everyone had 1 hour to build, 15 minutes to prime, and 1:45 to paint a single model.

As a matter of politeness (or something) the hosts of the party left the majority of the bits and special weapons options to the guests. The hosts took the scraps.

Everyone produced exceptionally different models. It's amazing how 7 good friends can produce such different models out of the same exact model kit. Each one spoke volumes about their personal character, too. (for example, the ADD kid made one covered in spikes that he found somewhere and painted it sloppily with pink, blue, and glowing red evil eyes. Mine was reserved, technical, and highly detailed. As a result, my marine attracted no attention whatsoever during the judging process. :p)

When "time" was called, there was an anonymous judging for the best overall model. The winners were awarded the gold, silver and bronze marines. We then played a 1400 point game with an existing necrons collection and the movie marines list. (http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2011/6/moviemarines-01194024.pdf)

The concept behind the game was that it would be more like role-playing than typical warhammer. Each player controlled their marine and their newly acquired trophy. I relinquished control of my marine to the birthday boy.

The necrons were getting whooped for the first few turns, but (much to my surprise) they made a turnaround. By turn 6, the only remaining space marine was the one with the rocket launcher tucked away in the corner of the table.

Then at the end of the day, all the guests got to take their newly painted model home, along with whatever prize they won.

I had lots of fun, and hopefully all the guests did too. I'd love to play against movie marines again.

*All the conversions were done in a way that made them look like the bits were part of the model kit that the models themselves came from. Building them was a very selective process, because I wanted them to be models that a winner would be proud to own. I'm really quite proud of how they all turned out. Stupidly, I didn't take any pictures of them. I also failed to win any. The only one I'm ever likely to see again is the gold one. :(

Inquisitor_Tolheim
24-08-2011, 23:40
Last wednesday, my brother had a birthday party. Initially, he wanted to buy all his guests a bare bones army, which would amount to approximately 60$ per guest.

He wanted to hold a speed building/painting competition and have a series of small unbalanced games afterwards.

As this idea quickly became very expensive, we opted for a change in plans. Instead, We got a single tactical squad. We opened the box, and I assembled 3 marines, using tons of parts from my bits box to make awesome* conversions. I then painted one of them to have gold armor with blue trim, one to have silver armor with red trim, and one to have bronze armor with white trim.

This left 7 marines and a whole host of plastic goodies.
There were 2 hosts, and 5 guests arrived. Everyone had 1 hour to build, 15 minutes to prime, and 1:45 to paint a single model.

As a matter of politeness (or something) the hosts of the party left the majority of the bits and special weapons options to the guests. The hosts took the scraps.

Everyone produced exceptionally different models. It's amazing how 7 good friends can produce such different models out of the same exact model kit. Each one spoke volumes about their personal character, too. (for example, the ADD kid made one covered in spikes that he found somewhere and painted it sloppily with pink, blue, and glowing red evil eyes. Mine was reserved, technical, and highly detailed. As a result, my marine attracted no attention whatsoever during the judging process. :p)

When "time" was called, there was an anonymous judging for the best overall model. The winners were awarded the gold, silver and bronze marines. We then played a 1400 point game with an existing necrons collection and the movie marines list. (http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2011/6/moviemarines-01194024.pdf)

The concept behind the game was that it would be more like role-playing than typical warhammer. Each player controlled their marine and their newly acquired trophy. I relinquished control of my marine to the birthday boy.

The necrons were getting whooped for the first few turns, but (much to my surprise) they made a turnaround. By turn 6, the only remaining space marine was the one with the rocket launcher tucked away in the corner of the table.

Then at the end of the day, all the guests got to take their newly painted model home, along with whatever prize they won.

I had lots of fun, and hopefully all the guests did too. I'd love to play against movie marines again.

*All the conversions were done in a way that made them look like the bits were part of the model kit that the models themselves came from. Building them was a very selective process, because I wanted them to be models that a winner would be proud to own. I'm really quite proud of how they all turned out. Stupidly, I didn't take any pictures of them. I also failed to win any. The only one I'm ever likely to see again is the gold one. :(

Sounds like a success! Just as fun as your first party idea, but significantly cheaper. Well done.

Spyral
25-08-2011, 00:02
Sounds fun!

Lathrael
25-08-2011, 01:47
What can i do with 10 marines? A proper basing for my dark eldar of course :p

Frep
25-08-2011, 01:50
Sounds like a pretty awesome idea to me. I might steal the idea from you, get a box of marines and crack it open with some friends over a case of beer and see what we come up with. Odds are it'll end up being a battle against a load of "killa kans" and a bubba stompa keg.