PDA

View Full Version : 3000 pt Vamp Count Army, What Say You?

eggspr
25-08-2011, 05:49
Hey all, new to the site and just created a 3k point army, playing this Friday. Played Warhammer 4th edition back in the mid-late 90's, stopped playing and now I'm back with 8th edition. So excited to roll some dice again! Points are in totals.

Lords

Combat Vamp Lord - 385
Walking Death (+1 Combat Resolution)
Red Fury (Wound causes additional attack)
Infinite Hatred (Hatred, rerolls failed hits)
Flayed Hauberk (2+ armor save)
Crown of the Damned (4+ ward save)
Steed (with blood knights)

Caster Vamp Lord - 350
Extra Magic Level (+1 Magic)
Dark Acolyte (+1 Magic)
Forbidden Lore (Knows all Spells, Necro)
Helm of Commandment (WS of unit within 12")

Heros

Wigh King BSB - 235
Drakenhof Banner (Regeneration, with GG)
GW (+2 Strength)

Necromancer - 195
Extra Spell (Danse Macbre)
Dispell Scroll
Corpse Cart (Balefire, -1 for enemy to cast within 24")

Rare

Varghulf - 175

Terrorgheist - 225

Blood Knights - 325
Full Command

Core

40 Ghouls (w/ Champion) - 328

37 Skeletons - 326
Full Command
Hellfire Banner (magical fire attacks)

21 Zombies - 96
Full Command

Special

22 Grave Guard w/ GW - 361
Full Command
Banner of Barrows (+1 to hit)

Total 3001

Combat Vamp Lord with Blood Knights, Caster Vamp Lord with GG and BSB... hopefully my opponent avoids the GG and tries to widdle down other units so Helm of Commandment can be useful. My GG unit is weak, but I don't know where else to trim, although with BSB they will be a force to be reckoned with. I had a Wraith with the skeleton unit but cut him out to bring GG total from 17 to 22 (woulda been nice with etheral and terror in the unit). Core total is at 750 exactly (although not sure if my corpse cart points with necromancer is core or hero, doesn't matter bc doesn't contribute to 25% number).

What do ya think??

Thanks,
eggs

Jack of Blades
25-08-2011, 14:46
Don't buy zombies - summon them. Use the points to remove some skeletons and make another unit of ghouls to fill up the core requirement, use the rest of the points if you have any to bulk up the grave guard and then give your combat vampire lord a weapon - I would suggest Blood Drinker as it's really good for keeping your unit alive.

BigbyWolf
25-08-2011, 15:53
Agreed with JoB- if your Vampire is going with the Blood Knights, it's rude not to give him the Blood Drinker, as it does a better job at healing the unit than magic can. Likewise I agree on dropping the Zombies, and increasing the Grave Guard if possible.

Morax
25-08-2011, 16:23
The GG unit is going to see combat every game. Its almost 1000 points sitting in a single unit. Plus it will contain your only competent caster. Its going to be a high priority for any opponent. You can reduce this a bit by sticking the caster vamp in the unit of skeles and bunkering him up. If you follow JoB's suggestions you will have an appropriate unit for just such a thing.

Droping the zombies in this list would be best. That being said I am a fan of taking zombies in the list but I have a plan in mind every time I do so. That plan usually invloves ripping a purple sun through them at some point to generate some extra dice. Since you don't have the lore of death in the list you can't make use of that. All in all, drop the zombies and get some more ghouls.

If you were going to drop anything else to make some room for some points I'd have to suggest the corpse cart that the necromancer is riding on. Balefire is a great thing when you have 2 or more of them tag-teaming casters. One solo is not going to affect things all that much. That would give you the points to swap walking death to the blood drinker on the combat vamp and would get you 5 more grave guard.

Loopstah
25-08-2011, 16:28
Swap the Crown of the Damned for the Talisman of Preservation, 10pts more but you don't roll 11/12 and have your general and his unit stuck doing nothing for a turn.

Also drop the zombies and use the points on something usefull like another Necromancer.

eggspr
25-08-2011, 20:45
Ok, Walking Death has been removed in place of Blood Drinker. Is that unit what some people call a death star now? It's hard to believe 6 units can tear through alot, but I haven't played since 1996 so I'm excited to see.

However I cannot replace Helm of Commandment with the Tali of Preservation - I'm at 750 with my Lord total :(. Another reason I wanted my Magic Vamp Lord with the GG was to use the Regen banner that my BSB has. Moving the Magic Vamp to skellies makes me consider bringing the BSB over there as well. But would having a regen banner on skeletons be worth having at al then?? I'd prefer regen GG because I can't raise more of them and once they... umm re-die, they stay dead, err undead, i mean dead.

Have you seen people cast Invocation on their characters mutiple times to bring him/her back to full health? If so, do people think it's cheesy? I'm asking because I don't want my magic vamp to die, and aside from the regen banner, magic wouls be his only saving grace... no armor/ward saves.

I'll work on removing the zombies and creating another small unit of ghouls. I bought that battalion pack and now I have zombies and wanted to throw them in... I guess they still suck and are only good at slowing enemies down. Eliminating the Corpse Cart is viable, but I initially had 2 of them (just finished painting them and they look sick so I'm anxious to field it bc it looks bad ass, although my Terrorgheist is sick too lol). I guess I could throw my necro in the skelly unit although I'd rather him hang back on a cart and avoid close combat all game.

Thanks so much for the input all, this is really helping me iron out a lot of little things that I haven't considered!!

eggspr
25-08-2011, 21:03
Also, sorry for spamming my own thread, but what's better: 1) Spending 10 points upgrading a Wight King BSB for a Great Weapon +2 Strength or 2) Spending 25 points upgrading a Wight King BSB with Sword of Kings 5+ Killing Blow... plus it's considered magic weapon which can hit more things.

I'm leaning toward Sword of Kings, I mean if I'm willing to shell points for the GW, what's another 15 for a magic weapon?

BigbyWolf
25-08-2011, 21:28
Ok, Walking Death has been removed in place of Blood Drinker. Is that unit what some people call a death star now? It's hard to believe 6 units can tear through alot, but I haven't played since 1996 so I'm excited to see.

Not as well as they could in previous editions, but Blood Knights are considered to be one of the better cavalry units around, so combined with a Vampire they can be quite deadly. Your core infantry aren't the best at combat, but can hold well, so slamming the Knights into the flank of a unit already engaged by skeletons/ ghouls etc is the way I'd go if facing massive hordes. Smaller units could be taken head on, just not in the same "point & shoot" way you used to be able to.

The best bet for any important caster is to bunker him away (or behind) the main combat line. I believe a favoured tactic is to guard it with cheap, expendable units like wolves or summoned zombies. As others have said, probably best to drop the Zombies, lower the skeletons to 20, bunker the lord there and get 2 units of 30 ghouls (points providing...).

Also, looking at the combat vampire, I'd drop walking dead, hauberk and steed, and replace it with Blood Drinker and Dreadknight. This gives you the magic sword you wanted, and comes in 20 points cheaper than if you just swap the Walking Dead gift for the sword, for exactly the same armour save (as the hauberk means your AS can't be better than 2+ anyway).

Loopstah
25-08-2011, 21:37
But would having a regen banner on skeletons be worth having at al then?? I'd prefer regen GG because I can't raise more of them and once they... umm re-die, they stay dead, err undead, i mean dead.

What makes you think you can't raise Grave Guard? You get D6 of them per Invocation just like Skeletons.

I used a GG deathstar the other week with a Vamp Lord caster and a Wight BSB with Drakenhoff. It chewed through 2 units of Chaos Warriors and still had 15 models left (from 30) at the end of the game.

eggspr
25-08-2011, 21:41
OK... retooled :)

Lords

Combat Vamp Lord - 400
Blood Drinker (Each unsaved wound regains wound)
Red Fury (Wound causes additional attack)
Infinite Hatred (Hatred, rerolls failed hits)
Flayed Hauberk (2+ armor save)
Crown of the Damned (4+ ward save)
Steed (with blood knights)

Caster Vamp Lord - 350
Extra Magic Level (+1 Magic)
Dark Acolyte (+1 Magic)
Forbidden Lore (Knows all Spells, Necro)
Helm of Commandment (WS of unit within 12")

Heros

Wigh King BSB - 235
Drakenhof Banner (Regeneration, with GG)
Sword of Kings (5+ Killing Blow)

Necromancer - 95
Extra Spell (Danse Macbre)
Dispell Scroll

Rare

Varghulf - 175

Terrorgheist - 225

Blood Knights - 325
Full Command

Core

25 Ghouls (w/ Champion) - 208

38 Skeletons - 334
Full Command
Hellfire Banner (magical fire attacks)

25 Ghouls (w/ Champion) - 208

Special

27 Grave Guard w/ GW - 426
Full Command
Banner of Barrows (+1 to hit)

Total 2996

eggspr
25-08-2011, 21:43
you can raise GG!?!? I thought you could only raise core units like Skellies, Ghouls and Zombies. Wow this really changes a lot of things!

I guess can't raise them beyond starting size... didn't see any vampiric powers allowing you to do that (skellies and ghouls u can, and zombies can without any powers).

Loopstah
26-08-2011, 00:38
Yes, you can't raise them past starting size but you can raise them. You can raise any unit in the army list and restore wounds to all the characters and monsters.

Morax
26-08-2011, 16:24
If you want to protect the caster lord you could drop a magic level (saves you 50 points and you lose a +1 to cast and dispel but no spells thanks to loremaster) and take the charmed shield. When placed in a bunker the only thing you are really worried about are template weapons like a cannon or stone thrower since you are trying to avoid combat at all costs. The look out sir roll will protect you from most of it but the charmed shield is a nice bit of insurance for next to no cost. It should protect the caster vamp from that single lucky shot that sneaks through.

If you do go with a bunker shrink the unit of skeletons, it will be easier to keep out of combat that way. You can trade the models 1:1 for ghouls to bump up their unit sizes forcing you to raise less off the get go.