fracas
26-08-2011, 01:19
Great game but it is a bit pricey imo

cornonthecob
26-08-2011, 07:47
How pricey ?

cornonthecob
26-08-2011, 08:41
Also Is the skeletons used in the vampire counts list the same as the skeletons used in the undead army.

Vos
26-08-2011, 09:10
Yes, same skeletons. They can "double up" if you go for both armies :)
Warmaster is an awesome game. You need to play at least 2K a side in my opininion though otherwise lucky/unlucky command rolls can determine success rather than tactics. You also need to plan on at least 25% (and better 33%) of the table to have some form of terrain, lots of fields, hills, forests and some buildings or cavalry will dominate.

If you're new to the game I would steer clear of Dwarves and Skaven (no cavalry) and Orcs and Goblins (poor command) - these armies need an experienced general to do well.

Cost wise - it's cheaper than WHFB or 40K!!! If cost is an issue go for an expensive army like High Elves or Chaos rather than a horde army like Khemri or Vampire Counts.

Go for it - I've never looked back since starting Warmaster. It has been our large group's number one game for over 5 years now.

Vos

fracas
26-08-2011, 09:10
Same skellies

Cost? 10-15 US$ per unit for 30-110 points

Nuada
26-08-2011, 09:20
Go for it - I've never looked back since starting Warmaster. It has been our large group's number one game for over 5 years now.

I agree with this :) I've been playing WHFB since 2nd edition. Our group started warmaster late (around 2 yrs ago)

We used to have 1 game/week of WHFB, now we have 2 games/year of WHFB (it's not an 8th v's 7th thing. We all prefer 8th edition) Warmaster has taken over. ;)

Captain Carstein
26-08-2011, 09:33
Looks quite cheap and i've heard it has a good rule system

Warmaster is an excellent rules system. It has been said in the past that it was the best set of rules the GW ever produced. That might not be saying much, but WM was/is Rick Priestly's baby. He still has a website supporting it and Warmaster Ancients.

It has such good solid game mechanics that many historical gamers have adapted the rules for the periods they play. A little time on Google will find a bunch of fun stuff. There's definitely elements of WM in the War of the Ring rules as well as Rick's recent rules sets for Warlord Games: Black Powder and Hail Caesar. Both have been very well received.

If you buy your minis through GW's site, WM is expensive, but many armies like the Empire, High Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Chaos, and Undead are commonly found on eBay. You can definitely find some good deals. The other less common armies and minis can go for a lot though.

How pricey ?

I recently priced out an Araby army from GW as you really can't get those minis anywhere else. I made up a bare minimum list for around 2000 points (the standard size for a WM game), and the price tag for the army came out to around $380 if I remember correctly.

Also Is the skeletons used in the vampire counts list the same as the skeletons used in the undead army.

Yes, the skeleton warrior unit is the same for both armies. You could also use the Undead cavalry for your VC Black Knights.

I hope that helps a bit. I think the biggest challenge with getting into Warmaster is finding someone to play and/or get into it with you.

Geep
26-08-2011, 11:16
I think the biggest challenge with getting into Warmaster is finding someone to play and/or get into it with you.
Agreed. I'm painting up a few small armies in the hopes of luring locals to the dark side...

Where do you live Cornonthecob?

If price is a serious issue, go for a Chaos army. So points expensive... I have around 4000pts from just trying to get a couple of each of their units.