PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for a new player!

gov2win
26-08-2011, 01:58
So I'm fairly new to Warhammer Fantasy, and even newer to the WarSeer forums, so I'm sorry if I come off not knowing the correct way to phrase certain things. I've only played two games with a pre-built army a friend lent me, and I'm starting to get a pretty good feel for the game. Before I start building an army, though, I wanted to find out a few specific rules about the game.

1) I know that one specific wizard can't cast the same spell more than once per round, but if I have more than one of a unit, could they both cast the same spell? I ask because I'd like to know if I field two Heralds of Tzeentch, if they could both cast Boon of Tzeentch.

2) Is charging the only way to engage an enemy in melee combat? Specifically, can I engage an enemy unit by just marching over to them and forgoing the benefits from charging? I ask because it seems more viable than charging with certain higher-speed units.

3) A continuation from the last question; could I use the spell Steed of Shadows to engage an enemy unit?

4) I know a unit can't march and shoot, but can they march and cast spells?

5) Can I push a unit off the table with Wind Blast?

6) Can I cast Steed of Shadows on an entire unit?

7) Do the default weapons held by Bloodletters and other daemon units count as magical for the purpose of attacking Ethereal units?

8) Do Heralds of Tzeentch know the entire Lore of Tzeentch by default, or must they possess Master of Sorcery?

Yrrdead
26-08-2011, 02:31
1.Yes if multiple wizards have the same spell, each may cast it once.*
2.Yes**
3.No.
4.Yes
5.No.
6.No.
7.Yes.
8.They must have purchased the Master of Sorcery Daemonic Gift.

*There are exceptions to this , the main ones being the Necromancy Spells from Vampire Counts ; Invocation of Nehek,Raise Dead ,and VanHel's Danse Macabre.

**Common Exceptions to this include Random Movement special rule,VanHel's Danse Macabre(Spell),Steam Tank Movement. Possibly some others.

BEEGfrog
26-08-2011, 14:33
1.Yes if multiple wizards have the same spell, each may cast it once.* However, it takes special circumstances for a more than one wizard in an army to know any particular spell except signature spell (note: loremaster is one of the special circumstances)
2.Yes**
3.No.
4.Yes skirmishers can march and shoot
5.No. As you can only leave the board if fleeing or pursuing, if you wind blast a fleeing unit you probably can blow it off the board. Unclear if damage from contacting impassible terrain applies to edge of board. Note: FAQ on effect of wind blast on units in buildings is wrong, at least for SoM, as SoM specifically states that buildings are not impassible terrain.
6.No.
7.Yes. All daemon attacks count as magical whatever the weapon
8.They must have purchased the Master of Sorcery Daemonic Gift.

Comments included in line in red above

Yrrdead
26-08-2011, 16:45
IF you wind blast a fleeing unit you cannot blow it off the board. You can't wind blast a unit off the board period.

BEEGfrog
26-08-2011, 18:06
IF you wind blast a fleeing unit you cannot blow it off the board. You can't wind blast a unit off the board period.

Do you have a page reference for that?

My references:
-pg 27 top 2nd column: "except in the case of fleeing troops... ...units are not permitted to leave the board". I.e. fleeing troops can leave board.

-pg25 third para: "as soon as a fleeing unit contacts the table edge, it flees the battle and does not return" note no restriction on what type of move allows a fleeing unit to contact table edge.

I will admit that it is likely to be a rare opportunity, but if you have an enemy unit that is likely to rally and you can wind blast it, I see no reason why you cannot wind blast it off the board.

Only fleers and pursuers can leave via board edge. Pursuers can never be the target of a wind blast as their pusuer status only lasts from the beginning to the end of their pursuit move with no opportunity to cast spell. Fleers are a valid target unless you have a reference that alters the logic.

gov2win
26-08-2011, 18:12
Oh wow, I didn't really expect the whole Wind Blast thing to be such an issue. Thanks for all the help though, and sorry again about being somewhat new to all this!

Yrrdead
26-08-2011, 18:17
I see what you mean.

Pg 27 tells you to refer to the earlier bits(Ie pg 24-25).

While pg 25 doesn't explicitly state a restriction, it is implicit under the Bolded MOVE FLEEING UNITS. What follows that bold is relating to the flee move only.

Though I can see where you are coming from, I feel that your argument relies on pieces of rules in a vacuum rather than in context. Though that is just my take on it.