PDA

View Full Version : Which CORE units are not available as plastic kits?

Avian
26-08-2011, 09:30
The other thread showed that there are basically 13 units of ranked, human-sized infantry units that are not available as a plastic kit in some form or other. Someone brought up that this wasn't necessarily a good indicator of which armies needed attention first, as not all armies rely on those units. So I thought I'd try and see which Core units are still unavailable as a plastic kit.

There are just a few rules:
- only units that are always Core count, not units that can be taken as Core if you take certain characters (ex: Eternal Guard).
- if it comes in the Island of Blood starter box, it counts as available
- no variant or out-of print armies (no Kislev, Dogs of War, etc)
- if only some options are not in plastic, it doesn't count (ex: Chaos Warriors don't count as unavailable just because halberds are only available as an add-on metal kit)

And the list:

Orc Arrer Boyz (O&G)
Dwarf Longbeards (Dw) [sort of...]
Plaguebearers (DoC)
Furies (DoC)
Harpies (DE)
Dark Riders (DE)
Ratling Gun (Sk)
Warp Grinder (Sk)
Doom-Flayer (Sk)
Rat Swarms (Sk)
Bat Swarms (VC)
Jungle Swarms (LM)
Tuskgor Chariots (BM)

Did I forget anything?

Stay tuned next week for the list of Special units that are not available as plastic kits! ;)

thesheriff
26-08-2011, 09:38
All the weapons teams bar warpfire thrower and plaguewind mortar (so deathroller and rattling gun, and the night runner weapon attatchment)

thats all I can think of

thesheriff

T10
26-08-2011, 09:47
Orc Arrer Boyz? Mine are plastic, but I don't think they are actually available any more. At all.

-T10

Avian
26-08-2011, 09:48
Arrer Boyz are already on the list, given that the starter box they came in went out of production seven years ago. ;)

warplock
26-08-2011, 10:15
What about Skaven Giant Rats? There are two caveats (caverats?), however:

1. They don't 'count towards the core limit'. But they are core.

2. There are lots of plastic rats in the big skaven kits, i.e. doomwheel, plague monks, screaming bell etc. I think most people use these as giant rats. However I really don't think that's good enough as 1) they're nowhere near as big as the metal ones and don't really look like 'giant' rats to me, and 2) You don't get enough. Even scounging the rats together from 5 or 6 plastic kits, you can't really make a big unit, and 3) I think they're just intended for decorating the bases of the plastic kits, not to be used as giant rats.

DarthSte
26-08-2011, 10:17
Wood Elf Eternal Guard.

Leonathion
26-08-2011, 10:21
Wood Elf Eternal Guard. (Core if W.Elf Lord is taken)

Fail on the rule.

Rat Swarms (Sk)

(Poison wind globardiers are not Core, they are special).

WHats the point with the list? To see what might be released in the future?

DarthSte
26-08-2011, 10:23
Fail on the rule.

Has that been FAQed? I haven't played with or against them, so haven't looked.

muse1c
26-08-2011, 10:24
Nurglings and Snotlings (I think they're core?), Fell Bats and Bat Swarms for VC

I think that's all units covered- unless Beastmen have some?

The bearded one
26-08-2011, 10:28
What about Skaven Giant Rats? There are two caveats (caverats?), however:

1. They don't 'count towards the core limit'. But they are core.

2. There are lots of plastic rats in the big skaven kits, i.e. doomwheel, plague monks, screaming bell etc. I think most people use these as giant rats. However I really don't think that's good enough as 1) they're nowhere near as big as the metal ones and don't really look like 'giant' rats to me, and 2) You don't get enough. Even scounging the rats together from 5 or 6 plastic kits, you can't really make a big unit, and 3) I think they're just intended for decorating the bases of the plastic kits, not to be used as giant rats.

Giant rats are available in plastic. The rat ogre kit is a combination kit with 2 rat ogres , 3 packmasters and 6 giant rats: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440086a&prodId=prod1040496

warplock
26-08-2011, 10:31
Giant rats are available in plastic. The rat ogre kit is a combination kit with 2 rat ogres , 3 packmasters and 6 giant rats: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440086a&prodId=prod1040496

Yep, you're right, I totally forgot about that. It really sucks, because those Rat Ogres are some of the worst damn models I've ever seen in my life. It's like the person who sculpted them hated Skaven and wanted to make sure they had the ugliest, most cartoony and unrealistic looking models out of any army.

Avian
26-08-2011, 10:44
Nurglings and Snotlings (I think they're core?), Fell Bats and Bat Swarms for VC
Apart from Bat Swarms, those are all Special.

WHats the point with the list? To see what might be released in the future?
Yeah. Though both Tomb Kings and Ogres actually only got one unit redone, so it might not mean much.

Snake1311
26-08-2011, 11:40
Longbeards are available. They are just an upgrade of warriors, meant to be represented cosmetically (diff paintjob, more decorations stuck on) ala big uns. I don't think I've ever heard any dwarf players complain of not having a separate LB set; in fact I reckon most would see is at a hindrance.

The bearded one
26-08-2011, 12:10
Us dwarf players are in fact blessed with 2 longbeard sets :) The economical route bu using the warrior kit which is intended to be built (facemasks) and painted suitably to represent longbeards, or the more expensive route by buying the old metal longbeards, which look fantastic.

I think dwarf players are more eager to get plastic hammerers, ironbreakers and slayers than longbeards at the moment.

Von Wibble
26-08-2011, 12:42
Dwarf Longbeards (Dw) [sort of...]

If longbeards count as missing then skavenslaves surely have to too - both currently only exist by taking another plastic kit and using appropriate parts to make them. And since longbeards are an upgrade unit from dwarf warriors rather than a seperate unit in the list, wood elf scouts, orc and savage orc big'uns and empire huntsmen would also qualify.

Apart from that I think you have them all.

warplock
26-08-2011, 12:45
If longbeards count as missing then skavenslaves and wood elf scouts surely have to too - all 3 currently only exist by taking another plastic kit and using appropriate parts to make them.

Apart from that I think you have them all.

I don't know anything about Wood Elves, but Skaven Slaves are a proper part of the kit, it's described as clanrats and slaves, half are wearing light armour (clanrats) and the other half just ragged robes (slaves), with the odd chain here and there.

DarkMark
26-08-2011, 13:32
LM kroxigors via skink unit upgrade.

Avian
26-08-2011, 17:21
We'll get to them when we do the specials. ;)

I put Longbeards on the list with a note because while you can technically use the Warriors box and add the face masks, that looks like crap compared to the metals.
(If anyone prefers using the Warrior box for this for any reason other than cost - get your head examined. :p)
Meanwhile, the Skaven kit works perfectly well for Slaves.

Duke Ramulots
26-08-2011, 17:26
I have often wondered if a plastic Big uns unit would be made. Fielding three blocks of orcs with one being Big uns, the only way my opponent can tell is by how I painted the banners.

Bob Arctor
26-08-2011, 20:29
Tuskgor Chariots for Beastmen.

narrativium
26-08-2011, 21:17
Gnoblar Trappers. (I'm not sure what happens to them next week but they count now.)

Avian
26-08-2011, 21:45
Next week they become an upgrade. :p