PDA

View Full Version : Terradon riders how do YOU use them?

Thénon
26-08-2011, 11:03
Hey guys.

I'm looking for advice from the people about terradon riders.

Are they a good choice to take? What situations are they best for? Is it worth taking a skink chief on one?

How do you guys field them and why?

My lizardmen army is my "fun" one so I'm not want "if u want the best chance to win blah blah" arguments.

Thx for the help. :)

Vsurma
26-08-2011, 11:35
Well, they are good to drop rocks on lone wizards but you will rarely if ever see any if they are on the field.... Or ever really considering the number of skinks and chamo skinks lizard lists run.

They tend to sit in the jungle then jump out when something weak is around like skirmishers or fast cav, essentially expensive low armour units that actually die from the rocks.

That said people use a lot less fast cav these days so their targets are limited to skirmishers in most games.

They can redirect or cause the enemy to make failed charges though which is good.

Overall anything they can do chamo skinks normally do better.

Malorian
26-08-2011, 14:33
Mine do a pretty good job of keeping dust off my shelf...

SkawtheFalconer
26-08-2011, 14:40
Agreed - with units getting bigger, their principal role (drop rocks) is less useful.

Thénon
26-08-2011, 17:45
I could have this wrong so please don't flame me.

Terradon are classed as MC yes? But they can fly. So does this override the skirmishers rule and make them fast monstrous cavalry.

If this is the case dosnt that make them great in this edition? As they can desrupt with just ranks of 3?

Malorian
26-08-2011, 18:14
I could have this wrong so please don't flame me.

Terradon are classed as MC yes? But they can fly. So does this override the skirmishers rule and make them fast monstrous cavalry.

If this is the case dosnt that make them great in this edition? As they can desrupt with just ranks of 3?

I'm not sure what they are classed as, but in the end it doesn't matter.

You might take away their rank bonus but they are still going to be steadfast. Also any attacks against the terradons are going to mess them up and they won't be 3 strong for long.

If anything it would only delay the enemy 1 turn: the same as sitting a throw away unit of ranked skinks in front of a unit.

Honestly the best way to use them is as long range counters to protect your salamanders from enemy support units.

Arli
26-08-2011, 22:04
I usually use them to get a skink chief into the rear of a unit to help break the unit in combat rez while a unit is in the CC with the front of the target. Drop rocks is ok. They do cause fear and get a stomp. But if they get hit, there is a good chance they will die.

SteelTitan
27-08-2011, 08:10
I also use 3 of them with a skink chief (again, fun list) but Im unsure about one thing.

Does the skink chief get a lookout sir?

*No, because there are only 3 terradons, you need 5.

*Yes, because there are 3 terradons and because they are MCs you only need 3 for a look out sir.

And I gotta agree with most ppl here. They aren't very good. The drop rocks is nice but limited in its use. IIRC they could actually fight a little with the previous army book, but one S3 attack and one S4 attack just doesn't cut it...not for the points anyway.

Thénon
27-08-2011, 09:18
What about backing them up with magic?

Life for the toughness? Fire for flaming attacks on the rocks?

Opinions?

Dungeon_Lawyer
27-08-2011, 13:13
. They do cause fear

They do?:eyebrows:

slingersam
28-08-2011, 01:00
Magic is a good back up, also characters can't join MC units, so he will get a los roll if hes near them

Dungeon_Lawyer
28-08-2011, 05:09
Magic is a good back up, also characters can't join MC units, so he will get a los roll if hes near them

The skink chief on terradon is an exception to this rule he can join a terradon unit-its in the armybook.

SteelTitan
28-08-2011, 08:35
He gets a look-out right? If the unit is 3 or more?

You can buff every mediocre or bad unit so that it's better. Still doesn't mean you should take them if they have little to offer in the first place...

*Looks at his zombies*

Jawalord III
28-08-2011, 14:04
I almost always take terradons because one they dont cost a huge amount, (at least I dont with my lists) and they are really good at taking out artillery/warmachines. Though one of my favorite things to do is run them over an enemy drop rocks and it right behind them then charge them from behind the turn after.

Jawalord III
28-08-2011, 14:08
I almost always take terradons because one they dont cost a huge amount, (at least I dont with my lists) and they are really good at taking out artillery/warmachines. Though one of my favorite things to do is run them over an enemy drop rocks and it right behind them then charge them from behind the turn after.

right so it seems I cant type so lets try that again

I almost always take terradons because, one they dont cost a huge amount of points, (at least they dont with my lists) and they are really good at taking out artillery/warmachines. Though one of my favorite things to do is run them over an enemy drop rocks and sit right behind them, and then charge them from behind the turn after.

SteelTitan
28-08-2011, 16:11
right so it seems I cant type so lets try that again

I almost always take terradons because, one they dont cost a huge amount of points, (at least they dont with my lists) and they are really good at taking out artillery/warmachines. Though one of my favorite things to do is run them over an enemy drop rocks and sit right behind them, and then charge them from behind the turn after.

I disagree.

1. At 30 points they don't come cheap.
2. Dropping rocks on a unit does very little in 8th edition considering you see 30+ units more often than not.
3. Charging terradons in the rear with the attacks they have usually does not add much. Additionally, against most foes this means they will just chop up the terradons which gives him more CR than it does you.
4. Against warmachine crew (assuming 3 models), you can only bring 2 terradons to bear if I remember correctly (they count as 2 and max is 5).

Having that said, I still run them because I like them (models, idea, etc) but i definitely acknowledge their inherent weaknesses.

I was thinking how they can be made a bit better and it would already be a decent improvement if the terradon had 1 extra attack.

1 S3 attack
2 S4 attacks
S4 stomp

:rolleyes:

Jawalord III
28-08-2011, 18:08
I disagree.

1. At 30 points they don't come cheap.
2. Dropping rocks on a unit does very little in 8th edition considering you see 30+ units more often than not.
3. Charging terradons in the rear with the attacks they have usually does not add much. Additionally, against most foes this means they will just chop up the terradons which gives him more CR than it does you.
4. Against warmachine crew (assuming 3 models), you can only bring 2 terradons to bear if I remember correctly (they count as 2 and max is 5).

Having that said, I still run them because I like them (models, idea, etc) but i definitely acknowledge their inherent weaknesses.

I was thinking how they can be made a bit better and it would already be a decent improvement if the terradon had 1 extra attack.

1 S3 attack
2 S4 attacks
S4 stomp

:rolleyes:
true I guess hordes just dont happen much in my games, i guess my friends and I find them to be unwieldy. yes only two terradons come to bear against a crew but for some reason every time I send them against warmachines I take it out in one turn so i think they work well. yes charging in the back is not the best idea I did remember my other strategy where I put them behind a unit i think might run and then they run into my terradons and die whitch is hilarious.

slingersam
29-08-2011, 01:33
They r ok, but not above average. I rarely use them because they can't really do anything, just like fast cavs, very fast but can't really do a lot of damage

SteelTitan
29-08-2011, 06:42
I did remember my other strategy where I put them behind a unit i think might run and then they run into my terradons and die whitch is hilarious.

That doesn't work anymore with 8th edition. The fleeing unit now just takes dangerous terrain tests for all models that flee through your unit and then continue along their path.:rolleyes:

slingersam
29-08-2011, 06:58
Even march blocking isn't effective anymore, which was another one of their advantage

SteelTitan
29-08-2011, 07:18
Yep!

Although my regular opponent uses them against my Vampire Counts. It's quite annoying when my Ld5 Varghulf can't run up the flank to threaten his main lines because of march-blocking terradons.

Thénon
31-08-2011, 13:00
So what you you guys give a skink chief it he was to join the units?

terrifying mask of EEE!?

ironcurse?

ideas?

SteelTitan
31-08-2011, 18:47
I use him as an assassin:

Terradon
Light Armour
Shield
Blowpipe
Dragon Helm
Potion of Foolhardiness
Piranha Blade

Most important is of course his piranha blade for when he goes mage hunting. 1 Wound on that wizard and he's gone!

He's a gimmick but hasn't let me done yet.

Jawalord III
01-09-2011, 16:22
That doesn't work anymore with 8th edition. The fleeing unit now just takes dangerous terrain tests for all models that flee through your unit and then continue along their path.:rolleyes:

right right id quite forgotten I hate changed rules I always think I know them and then it turns out ive slipped back into old editions. So without that im not sure (other than warmachine removal) that terradons are really effective at all Im looking forward to some changes when lizardmen are redone (which sadly wont be for a while.

Whaagnomore
02-09-2011, 10:29
One odd quality about Terradons is their ability to soften up (or wipe out) units garrisoned in a building. Since their rocks autohit(heat-seeking rocks?:wtf:), the building offers no protection. This also applies to skirmisher groups which can normally be a pain.

Terradons are great for taking out solo wizards and regular warmachines.

Also, I disagree with the general opinion that hordes diminish terradons usefullness, I often bring 3 units of 3 terradons. If the opponent brings a horde I'll just bomb it, and it isn't a horde anymore(not a functional one atleast. Heightens my Saurus blocks chances of winning combat by a great deal. ( This doesn't apply to crazily big hordes ofc), that's where the sallies comes in :evilgrin: .
Should there be multiple hordes I'll Use them for blocking/redirection afterwards.

One great thing about the rock-dropping ability is that it is used in the movement phase. If you happen to break a unit you can focus on other things in the magic phase.