PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Shooting Query

Imperial Stormtrooper
27-08-2011, 06:03
I know this is a silly question, but I looked through the 8th edition book(the small one in the starter kit) and couldn't find an answer in neither the magic or shooting sections. Can a mage shoot and cast in the same turn?

For example, and this is why I'm bringing this up, can a Dark Elf Sorceress lord on a dark pegasus fly 10 inches, shoot the Lifetaker, and then cast magic in the magic phase?

Thanks in advance

Yrrdead
27-08-2011, 06:16
It is a bit silly but I personally love these questions. These are the ones that often lead to things that I've missed in the edition changes. So keep them coming.

Yes you may.

Here are some references.
Pg 31 - lays out the requirements/restrictions to cast spells.
Pg 38 - details how to Nominate a Unit to Shoot, including who can shoot.
Pay close attention to the bolded and bullet points on those pages.

Your Dark Elf Sorceress meets these requirements.

Cookie to first to post a model/unit that may actively participate in every phases in a single turn.(friendly turn, stand and shoot/dispel doesn't count).

Imperial Stormtrooper
27-08-2011, 06:21
Well that response was quick and very accurate and helpful, thanks alot :)

AMWOOD co
27-08-2011, 07:14
Cookie to first to post a model/unit that may actively participate in every phases in a single turn.(friendly turn, stand and shoot/dispel doesn't count).

I'll take that cookie with Treeman. He can charge, cast a bound spell, use his shooting attack (yes, even while in combat) and then fight. Mmm... digital cookie.

Yrrdead
27-08-2011, 07:34
Very nice sir. :)

Noght
29-08-2011, 13:50
I'll take that cookie with Treeman. He can charge, cast a bound spell, use his shooting attack (yes, even while in combat) and then fight. Mmm... digital cookie.

Re-read Strangleroot again...and I'm confused (nothing new there).
How can a Treeman make a shooting attack while in combat? How? If so can he shoot into the unit he is in combat with?
Unless it's a Stand and Shoot while being charged a 2nd time....

Thanks,
Noght

Scalebug
30-08-2011, 17:11
It can not charge into combat and use strangleroot. Rules allow it to march and use it, and FAQ clarifies that it can be used for Stand And Shoot (Which could be argued as per the rules text, at least when the FAQ was released first under 7th ed, with it not being a "ranged weapon" that was, to be literal, asked for in the Stand and Shoot rules).

It also notes that it cannot use it after having failed a charge.... is this a creative reading resulting in the conclusion "Duh, it says I cannot use it if i fail a charge, that means I can use it if i succeed one..."?

Cause if so.... :rolleyes:

Akkristor
30-08-2011, 20:46
A unit of Cairn Wraiths with Tomb Banshee, lead by a Vampire/Necromancer.

They can move, charge into combat with Dance Macabre, use the Banshee's Ghostly Howl in the Shooting Phase (even though they are in close combat), then duke it out in melee!

Scalebug
30-08-2011, 21:43
(Vampire only, you need to be ethereal to join Wraiths, but yeah, that should be the one)