PDA

View Full Version : Fast cavalry?

Luke
10-04-2006, 12:22
Ok so I'm due to start playing with Dark Elves and intend to employ as many dark riders as possible. Now I used to play chaos with marauder horses and as far as I know the rules for fast cavalry movement always seemed a bit vague.

In store the other day the manager told me that I can reform my fast cav and move them up to their full march move!
I always thought you could only move them up to their standard move and reform.
Do fast cavalry wheel? Why should I bother if I can just move anywhere and reform facing any direction?

Someone help me.

1: What are my options when I march
2: when can I reform
3: how far can I move before reforming
4: Can I reform facing any direction?

god octo
10-04-2006, 12:51
i do know that with fast cavalry, you get free reforms, so reforming the unit does not waste your movemnet, so you can move them 18in and reform them.

hope that helps a bit.

Luke
10-04-2006, 14:05
It does indeed. Thank you for that.

I am confused abuot the illustration entitled "fast cavalry turning" though as it shows a unit reforming, turning AND moving without showing its movement (wheeling etc). Can one take a fast-cav unit and simply move it to the position shown? Or do I have to wheel and measure then reform at the end?

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-04-2006, 15:44
Technically you have to wheel etc. But since you are allowed to reform as many times as you want, you might never need to wheel, as you can reform and get the same effect. And most players(nearly all) just seems to move there fast cavalry to a given position and place them how they want.

Luke
10-04-2006, 16:14
Good enough for me :D
The manager at my local GW didn't seem to have a problem with it.

EvC
10-04-2006, 16:27
Can you reform and shoot too as fast cavalry?

Festus
10-04-2006, 19:54
Hi

Yes

Greetings
Festus

gukal
10-04-2006, 20:15
You have received good advise thus far. However, for the move to be within the legal limit, you must ensure that no model moves more than its allowed distance.

So generally select the path for movement and then measure from the model that would move the furthest and place at your desired location and with your desired facing, then form the unit around that model.

Where this becomes tricky is when you are attempting to circumvent a tight battleline. Do not treat fast cavalry as if they were flyers. Fast cavalry must still chart a legal path through the terrain and the enemy to get to the desired position for a rear or flank charge. So remember - for instance - that your path cannot pass within 1" of any enemy model unless you are charging. Thus you would generally need a 3" gap between enemy units to snake through.

- Gukal

Crazy Harborc
10-04-2006, 21:23
Thanks for the reminder about the one inch distance rule. A wiley opponent, skirted between (within less than an inch) two of my formations yesterday. At the time I was actually glad his 3 fast cav did it.

He had his Marauder cav armed with throwing axes and sent them after one of my Dwarve's bolt throwers. He missed hehehehehe. My Dwarf Lord took care of all three of them.

Chaos armies........poo poo, not an army anymore, it's not. Hey, a unit of chaos knights fled and were caught.:eek: He rolled a 7 on three dice, I rolled an 8 on my two:evilgrin: . A good day, a fun battle and a bonus of a victory. It was only two points short of overwhelming.;)

Luke
10-04-2006, 21:52
Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. The more I learn abuot fast cavalry the more I want to build a marauder horseman army or dark rider force.

ZomboCom
10-04-2006, 22:39
Yup, Fast cavalry are considered to be in a fairly loose formation, so never need to wheel, since they can reform for free. This means they can fit through gaps etc, but of course has the downside of not gaining a rank bonus.

Luke
11-04-2006, 11:12
So dark elf dark riders get an 18 inch move pretty much anywhere with a free reform at the end? super! :D

Me likes. Very much so!

T10
11-04-2006, 13:13
Those 18" become 9" if you start your turn within 8" of an enemy: Fast Cavalry do not have any particular ability that allows them to ignore the normal marching requirements.

-T10

Luke
11-04-2006, 14:39
Ah, totallty forgot (but its one of those things I tend to remember in-game). Still, Its not too often I let my enemy get that close. As long as it's legal. 18 inches! fething brill!

Gotta get my prime opponents Organ gun out of action quite quickly :D

WLBjork
11-04-2006, 15:49
You can't pass through a gap smaller than 3" either (the 1" rule will still apply as well).