PDA

View Full Version : Breath Weapons Once Per Game?

Nedar
28-08-2011, 07:22
So...page 67 of the BRB states that you can "make a special attack once per game."

Then lists Shooting and Close Combat rules for the weapon.

This means that you can only ever fire a breath weapon once per game...either in shooting phase OR in close combat? I seem to recall 7th not having this limit, and wana be sure i'm not missing something.

Yrrdead
28-08-2011, 07:28
You are correct , it is once per game, and in 7th this limitation did not exist.

T10
28-08-2011, 07:41
Presumably, spells that are resolved as breath weapons can be used each time the spell is cast.

It's not as if these spells grant the model the Breath Weapon special rule.

sorberec
29-08-2011, 10:15
Presumably, spells that are resolved as breath weapons can be used each time the spell is cast.

It's not as if these spells grant the model the Breath Weapon special rule.

There's nothing to prevent that that I'm aware of.

Also, if you use Transformation of Kadon to transform your wizard into something that has a breath weapon, cancel the spell and then later in the game cast that spell again, you get to use a breath weapon once each time he gets transformed (see the BRB FAQ).

D'Haran
29-08-2011, 13:05
Also Salamanders and Gyrocopters do not suffer from this 1 time rule, they can use their flame template weapons every round.

Nedar
29-08-2011, 21:16
Interesting.

Instead of making a new thread about it, I figured I'd ask here since it's quite related:

But how does flaming attacks + same initiative work in CC? For instance, i'm assuming the extra CC attacks from a breath weapon are at initiative order...so what if a unit at all I2 attack with one model that has flaming attacks and a breath weapon?

Would you just be able to chose the flaming model first and count all attacks rolled after as following flaming to negate regen? Or would simultaneous attacks not benefit from removing regen since they were struck at the same time as the fire (I'm guessing this is the case).

So same idea with GW's and ASL of course (thinking Firebelly with GW or not). And furthermore, would the breath weapon be at his initiative, not ASL, since the GW doesn't effect the breath? Or is the whole model effected by the GW including is breath?

Thanks all :)

RanaldLoec
29-08-2011, 22:17
There was a heated debate about breath weapons which strike simultaneously with normal attacks.

I would go with what you suggest simultaneous attacks not removing regenerate.

I recall that the last thread on this matter boiled down to a few members arguing over the meaning of singular words, best really to just decide on a way of dealing with it with your friends or opponents before a game starts if its going to be an issue.

On great weapons only attacks made with that weapon have ASL, a breath weapon is unaffected by any specail rules unless its book entry specifys an effect.

Eg lizardmen salamanders can reuse they attacks, but a bretonnian lord with the heroic killing blow virtue doesn't get the benefit on the magic lance breath weapon. (sorry the item names allude me).

Nedar
29-08-2011, 23:01
Ya, was reading up on the Ogre website. Think my Firebelly is not running a GW (eventhough they keep trying to sell that as being his advantage) so that I can have regen negating in CC AND Armor Piercing banner on my IGs...I always seem to get screwed with armor even with S6 attacks it seems.