PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling and Charging.

Tyra_Nid
10-04-2006, 14:23
Im fairly new to this edition of Fantasy.

At my gaming club, we have been playing that you can only take your wheel at the start of a charge. However, in the rulebook it does not specifiy that this wheel must be at the start of the charge, only stating that you may wheel once during the charge.

Although, in the following example it does describing a unit wheeling at the start then charging.

Do you HAVE to wheel at the start? Can you move forward slightly, then wheel, then complete the rest of the charge?

Clarification, please.

Satan
10-04-2006, 14:32
Apart from the free align (Where you line up your models so that they fit together in a close combat in the case of a bit of odd charge-angle) it states clearly in the rulebook that you may wheel freely during the charge but only ONCE. Whether at the start, middle or somewhere towards the end, is irrelevant. Please note that you only need to wheel in order to make contact with the enemy unit. Once you've done so, the free aligning to bring the units into proper alignment is free and does not count as a wheel.

Sorry about the relatively poor state of my english ATM. I blame work.

mageith
10-04-2006, 14:47
Please note that you only need to wheel in order to make contact with the enemy unit.
Sorry about the relatively poor state of my english ATM. I blame work.
:) How do you know when I need to wheel?

Not sure if what you are saying is an English problem or not.

While I agree that literally units may only wheel to increase their model contact with the enemy, practically it really doesn't work, especially with single models.

So, as far as I can tell, from discussions on the forums, most players allow one wheel at any time during the charge for any reason as long as the final result is that the maximum number of models of the charging unit end up in base contact.

Note: It's very clear that one wheel is allowed and that it's allowed at any time during the charge. What's less clear is the PURPOSE for wheeling--whether it's restricted or not. It's also clear that the final result must be a maximization of MODELS from the charging unit.

How charging actually works for your group is probably a worthy discussion resulting in implementation of a house rule for clarity.

Mage Ith

mageith
10-04-2006, 14:51
Im fairly new to this edition of Fantasy.

At my gaming club, we have been playing that you can only take your wheel at the start of a charge. However, in the rulebook it does not specifiy that this wheel must be at the start of the charge, only stating that you may wheel once during the charge.

In 5th edition, wheeling was restricted to the start. The clarification for 6th edition is on page 267: "A charging unit can wheel at any point of its move in order to bring as many of its models in frontal base contact with the enemy as possible."

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-04-2006, 15:42
Note: It's very clear that one wheel is allowed and that it's allowed at any time during the charge. What's less clear is the PURPOSE for wheeling--whether it's restricted or not. It's also clear that the final result must be a maximization of MODELS from the charging unit.

I don't know, it seems perfectly clear to me. You get a wheel you can take at any point during the charge, only restriction is that it must bring as many models into combat, and they you must wheel if it brings in more models.

Aside from that, there are no special restrictions on wheeling during a charge, so wheel away.

mageith
10-04-2006, 16:01
I don't know, it seems perfectly clear to me. You get a wheel you can take at any point during the charge, only restriction is that it must bring as many models into combat, and they you must wheel if it brings in more models.

Aside from that, there are no special restrictions on wheeling during a charge, so wheel away.

Egads! You've been part of big, neverending discussions on this! If these rules were clear, they why the big discussions? :eek:

Mage Ith

Tyra_Nid
10-04-2006, 23:49
Thanks for the help, guys!

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-04-2006, 05:52
Egads! You've been part of big, neverending discussions on this! If these rules were clear, they why the big discussions? :eek:

Mage Ith

Hehe, I couldn't resist :p

I still think it's clear though, and people are just reading intent into the rules that simply isn't present in the text.

However, here is hoping that it will be much clearer in 6th months time.
Although I'm not sure we will be happier for that...

Crazy Harborc
11-04-2006, 21:24
Wheel ONE time, is the way I've seen it or done it in 6th. House rules that go further are fine too IF all the players agree.

archonbrujah
12-04-2006, 17:17
I almost hate to ask, but ask i will:

Does this come up for anyone? I can't recall any time when wheeling other then at the beginning of a charge was what was needed to bring the maximum number of models into contact for myself.

I guess I'm really looking for when this would come up, because of LOS and everything that means you have to be fairly close to pointing at the enemy to begin with. Thanks in advance,

Archonbrujah

gukal
12-04-2006, 17:35

Does this come up for anyone? I can't recall any time when wheeling other then at the beginning of a charge was what was needed to bring the maximum number of models into contact for myself.

I guess I'm really looking for when this would come up, because of LOS and everything that means you have to be fairly close to pointing at the enemy to begin with. Thanks in advance,

Archonbrujah

It comes up - for instance - when there is an intervening piece of terrain. You can see the enemy but there is a tiny bit of impassable terrain in the most direct charge path. So to complete the charge, the chargers move forward a few inches - then wheel after clearing the obstacle.

- Gukal

archonbrujah
12-04-2006, 19:48
Thanks for the clarification. We play with very little impassable terrain, probably why it hasn't come up.

Archonbrujah

mageith
12-04-2006, 20:34

Does this come up for anyone?
A dogleg charge comes up all the time. We use lots of terrain and are playing low powered fantasy so there's lots of units and stuff in the way. Without the dogleg charge, there'd be a lot more clipping or we'd need a lot more fudging the frontline at least at my house.

I don't see it used much for it's really nefarious purpose though, to change the direction of the overrun vs. skirmishing units or setting up a flank on skirmishers. I do remember a rather horrible one that happened to me though with a dragon. I didn't see it coming at all.

Mage ith

sliganian
17-04-2006, 16:54
As a bit of a WHFB novice, what I never understood (and never asked about) was how other players negotiate the potentially confusing bit about the wheels where:

a) you MUST wheel to bring the most models into contact BUT
b) the Wheel cannot make you exceed you Charge range.
:confused:

To me, this seems a recipe for lots of back-and-forth measuring when it comes to Move Chargers phase.

Example
1. I declared a Charge that I *think* is in range. My opponent agrees and Holds.

2. It turns out that, corner of my RnF to the corner of his RnF is almost 8" (on a model with a 8" Charge range).

3. So, to make sure there is more than a hair's width of contact between the units, I need to Wheel to satisfy 'a' above. But, a wheel of almost ANY distance would suddenly take my unit beyond its normal Charge range (note that we are not even at the Free Alignment portion yet), which would break 'b' above.

So, I need to Wheel to make the charge successful, but a Wheel would render my charge Unsuccesful. So, does a Charge happen or not?

Crazy Harborc
17-04-2006, 18:53
Um.....IF your unit makes contact moving in a straight line towards the opposing unit do it that way. AS far as I know you are required to wheel to make contact possible/happen. When you push the units together is when you adjust the charging unit to get maximum BtB contact for the charger's frontage.

Festus
17-04-2006, 19:20
Hi

Every time there is an obstacle (or another unit, etc.) in the way, and even if it is ever so slightly.

Greetings
Festus