PDA

View Full Version : Best set-ups for Dwarf BSB's and Runesmiths?

Sh4d0w
28-08-2011, 11:51
So ive played Dark elves for the past 4 years but got bored of them. Now really into dwarves.

Can you guys give some suggestions into the most used/best set-ups for dwarf BSB's and Runesmiths/runelords

jamesgurney100
28-08-2011, 12:26
For Dwarf bsb it's probably best to give him a shield and two runes of stone (the +1 armour save one) and the one that makes him immune to killing blow. And try and give him some runes that give him a ward save but remember he can get a parry from his shield so only a 5+ or 4+ is worth it.

For runesmiths i personally when i play dwarfs (haven't done for ages and i dont have the book in front of me) i almost always take a anvil of doom and loads of runesmiths, remember dwarf and daemons are the only armies that can have multiple dispel scrolls now. The rune that steals an opponents power dice and turns it into a dispel dice for you is always good. But try to have enough runepriests/smiths to make sure you get a good 5/6 dispel dice before rolling for winds of magic so to always have the same amount of dispel dice as you opponent has power dice if not then more.

Sh4d0w
28-08-2011, 22:37
About the runelord, i only play 1500pt games for the moment and kinda short on cash so i only got a foot model runesmith/runelord.

BSB setup : 2x rune of iron, rune of preservation, MR of gromril, shield. Sounds pretty rock hard to me.
Runesmith Setup: rune of stone, 2x rune of iron, 2x rune of spellbreaking.

Flash Felix
28-08-2011, 23:26
For Dwarf bsb it's probably best to give him a shield and two runes of stone (the +1 armour save one) and the one that makes him immune to killing blow. And try and give him some runes that give him a ward save but remember he can get a parry from his shield so only a 5+ or 4+ is worth it.

G'day,

You can't take two Runes of Stone, or at least, you can't get +1 A/S for each one. Nor can the BSB take a shield, GW or pistol. Dwarves, Empire and the 6th Edition books are like that. GW changed the rule from the High Elf books onward so that a Dark Elf or Warriors of Chaos BSB can carry a standard and use a GW with his (three?) hands. But apparently they can't be bothered putting this change into the errata for all the older armies.

To the OP, what you're after is a Runesmith/Lord combo that will kill the enemy magic phase, and then should be survivable. The BSB should be as survivable as possible, so he can keep his Ld boosting goodness as long as possible. Here's what I've got;

Runelord (not a Runesmith, you need the +2 DD and 150 pts runes allowance, plus WS6, T5, W3 makes him much more survivable)
MRoBalance
RoSpellbreaking
Ro Spellbreaking
RoResistance
RoPreservation
RoStone
Shield

This makes a 4 dice swing in the enemy magic phase (gain 2 from the Runelord, 1 from the MRoBalance, they lose a PD), as well as 2 Spellbreakers to use against Pit of Shades/Dreaded 13th/Mindrazor etc. This will neuter almost all magic phases, and reduce even Level 4s to only a couple of spells a game in most cases. The Runelord is also very well protected with a 2+ re-rollable armour save, parry save, and being immune to Killing Blow and Poison. You can put him in the front line, and help reduce casualties on your ASL GW Dwarf troops.

My BSB is as follows;

MRoGromril
RoResistance
RoPreservation
RotFurnace
RoFire

His armour gives him 1+ re-rollable armour save and immunity to Killing Blow and Poison. Together with WS6 and T5, these will keep him alive in the frontline in almost all of your games. The RotFurnace is great if the enemy has Flaming Attacks, and lets you challenge lots of characters, to again reduce casualties in your rank and file. The RoFire gives him magical attacks and it's nice to have Flaming Attacks on a melee unit to back up your (complusory) flaming Cannon.

One thing to note is that these two characters are so heavily protected that they can fight in the frontline, and should take positions on the corners where they'll absorb as many attacks as possible. Even Bloodletters, Khorne Marauders and Swordmasters will bounce off their toughness and armour. And your T4, A/S 5+ Hammerers and GW Warriors will be very grateful for the protection.

Finally, if you want a single Runesmith rather than a Runelord, I'd suggest one with the MRoBalance and a RoSpellbreaking, with a shield. He's only T4, with a 3+ A/S, so hide him in the back. He will blunt the enemy magic phase, but he won't stop it, so you have to be careful what you dispel. I find him inadequate in my area, where heavy magic is the norm.

Sh4d0w
29-08-2011, 08:42
Can i just say that was alot of very good help, i think i will go the runelord now, bsb looks very solid too, have some rep :)

warplock
29-08-2011, 11:02
You can't take two Runes of Stone, or at least, you can't get +1 A/S for each one

I've never used Dwarfs, I do have the book but not to hand - may I ask why not? Was it FAQ'd or does it say in the book?

Novrain
29-08-2011, 11:31
I dont like to rune my characters up that much, but I usually rune up my BSB as follows:

MRoGromril
RoMight
RoFire
RoPreservation

He is relatively well protected (1+ ASv, Immune ot Poison and KB), and also gives me a great shot at removing regen from monsters etc before my GW swing. Being S8 vs. T5+ is really useful for this. Admittedly your area my differ, but in mine most opponents dont even bother trying to kill dwarf characters and go for the poorly armoured GW swingers...

Re: RoStone - It says it in the book.

The bearded one
29-08-2011, 11:36
I've never used Dwarfs, I do have the book but not to hand - may I ask why not? Was it FAQ'd or does it say in the book?

No, it simply says "multiples of this rune have no effect".

Almost all BSB combo's use the master rune of gromril, it's like it has a little sign attached to it saying "reserved for BSB", as without it you can't get higher than a 3+ armoursave (rune of stone), which is not worthy of a dwarf thane. Other runes differ from then. Some like to tank up their BSB:
- master rune of gromril
- rune of resistance
- rune of preservation
1+ rerollable, immune to poison and KB

Whereas others like to add a bit of punch to their BSB, for example mine has the following:
- master rune of gromril
- rune of cleaving
- rune of might
- rune of fire
That way he's decently protected with a 1+ save, has some CC potential with 3 str5 attacks, and is the bane of many a monster as he punches their snouts in with str10 flaming attacks.

Artinam
29-08-2011, 11:36
It says so in the book, Bretonnians and Wood Elfs have a similar issue with it. It would be different if Dwarves could take magical shields as the old restriction (you need a mundane shield to have a magical one) has been lifted for the old books (except Wood Elfs who are stuck with it because of their FAQ).

Nevertheless for the shield bit, check your tournament organiser beforehand as many prefer to use the older rule for some reason.

Flash Felix
29-08-2011, 20:18
Can i just say that was alot of very good help, i think i will go the runelord now, bsb looks very solid too, have some rep :)

You're welcome, but in my haste to poste I forgot to point out that the runes on my Runelord and BSB are the same as the ones used by Furgil, one of the better Dwarf players. He regularly posts his battle reports on Bugmans Brewery, and I strongly recommend you read them. I didn't straight-out copy him, but he certainly affected my thinking, and the last few runes I added were based on his.

One thing to consider for a Runelord, is the Spelleater rune. This will mean that you have to drop the RoResistance though, so straight away your Runelord will not be fit to fight in the front rank against all-comers. So you lose the 'tank' ability on your Runelord. But the Spelleater gives you a 50% chance to kill that single nasty spell which might lose you the game. Whether that's Mindrazor, Dwellers or even Vanhels Danse Macabre, it can be worth the 25 pts you pay over a simple Spellbreaker, just for the chance. It's worth considering. I used this with some effect, but decided that the tank option gave a very useful secondary ability.

Another option is the two Runesmiths. The Runelord is a 'all your eggs in one basket' approach, and while he can work well, if he goes you lose all your magic defence. Two Runesmiths, one with the MRoBalance, the other with 2 Spellbreakers, and both with a shield and RoStone, can have the same impact, though they will not be as well protected. Again, it depends on what works in your area.

Haravikk
30-08-2011, 18:50
MRoGromril
RoResistance
RoPreservation
RotFurnace
RoFire
I'm the same for my BSB, but instead of furnace and fire I put a Rune of Striking (I think) on the runic weapon; the +1 Weapon Skill means almost nothing hits on 3's, and Weapon Skill 3 or less hits on 5's, while he himself can hit on 3's instead, not to great effect of course but it means he's even better defensively with a tiny general purpose offensive boost.

Malorian
30-08-2011, 18:56
I'm a fan of MroGromil and roCleaving.

Not too expensive and then he packs a punch too.