PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard

Deepsix81
29-08-2011, 21:12
So, I've not played the miniature game and have only been reading Warhammer for the past 3 or 4 years. After reading Chapter's Due and First Heretic, I'm pretty much in love with the Ravens. Is there any material out there that can provide more background into their chapter? I have the general background from online research, but I wanted to know more about the Raven Guard (and their super-secret fighting techniques).

Thanks,

Kenzaburo
29-08-2011, 21:37
only thing i can think of right now is the audio drama "raven's flight". details what happened during the drop site massacre at isstvan v. but more stuff is harder to come by. imperial armour 9 was about a campaign of raven guard company against the orks - it was quite good and showed the hit and run tactics preferred by the chapter. although the imperial armour books are quite pricy for someone who doesn't actually play the game. :)

shadowhawk2008
30-08-2011, 18:16
There is an audiobook called Helion's Rain that is about the Raven Guard and features Scouts IIRC.

There is another audiobook, incoming, called Labyrinth of Sorrows that is about one of their Shadow-Captains I believe.

There is Raven's Flight which is an audiobook concerned with the legion at the Dropsite Massacre and sometime after. It features Corax quite heavily.

They also feature in the short story Faces of Treachery in the Age of Darkness anthology.

Corax features slightly in Fulgrim in a rather brief appearance.

They form roughly 50% of the novel Hunt for Voldorius that mainly features the White Scars. Kayvaan Shrike is the Shadow-Captain in command.

Imperial Armour 8 features the Raven Guard as the attackers for a failed Imperial campaign against an Ork Waaagh.

Deepsix81
30-08-2011, 23:06
Thanks for the help! Compared to the image that I formed from Chapter's Due, Voldorius presented a pretty bland, cookie-cutter chapter. Great fighters, but none of the emphasis on stealth that I would expect. I'll wait for Deliverance Lost for more, I guess

Xisor
31-08-2011, 02:20
Thanks for the help! Compared to the image that I formed from Chapter's Due, Voldorius presented a pretty bland, cookie-cutter chapter. Great fighters, but none of the emphasis on stealth that I would expect. I'll wait for Deliverance Lost for more, I guess

I think that's largely because The Chapter's Due paints an absurd picture of internet-meme-based ninja-marines. Vaanes, generally, is compelling. Yet his former battle brothers? NINJAS. :shifty:

Deepsix81
03-09-2011, 17:28
A little over the top, for sure. But I thought they stole the show. In my mind's eye, while reading I pictured a hybrid of Spiderman, Wolverine and Ryu from the Ninja Gaiden video games. Looking back, that may have been inconsistent with any previous ideas of space marines (putting it mildly). Fun to read though.

Xisor
03-09-2011, 17:43
Oh my yes, I can't disagree with that! Somewhat jarring, but they are indeed usually written in a very enigmatic/bad-ass way. Their Horus Heresy appearance (most impressively Corax in [i]The First Heretic) has been done nicely, though I really look forwards to Deliverance Lost in the next few months.

Light of the Emperor
05-09-2011, 02:52
Don't forget Index Astartes. Number 4 I believe? Its oop but its everything you need to know about the Ravenguard.

Captain Semper
05-09-2011, 20:23
I really think that if Codex: Raven Guard was ever to make an appearence it would be a best seller! Raven Guard has increased in popularity over the years despite the relatrively sparse coverage by GW. I wonder how the FW items sell...

Is Deliverence Lost coming out in January? I think this will sell well too!

Lars Porsenna
05-09-2011, 22:18
I don't know if Raven Guard have really increased in popularity, but I know I've been bitten; I'm busy selling off my Salamanders to a local player in favor of investing in Raven Guard (essentially using the money from my sales to reboot my marine army). Part of the reason for me is that the RG fiction coming out of BL has been better than the Salamanders fiction...

Damon.

Kenzaburo
07-09-2011, 20:55
i hope there'll never be a codex raven guard. i've been bored with the constant stream of MEQ codices/codecii in the past releases and i'm a marine player myself. but that's a whole different can of worms.

what i agree on is that we need more info about the loyalist founding chapters besides those with their own codex. and make the regular C:SM more about those chapters all together and less about the boys in blue(again, even though it's my own chapter). we still have little to no info on the iron hands or white scars, and only slightly more lore on salamanders and the raven guard.

less use of the ninja stereotype would be helpful, though. make them more of a brighter mirror of the night lords, favoring the unfair fight, hit and runs and being more about guerilla stuff than just guys leaping from shadows.

Captain Semper
08-09-2011, 04:25
Well, my point was not so much the need to have such a Codex but rather a hyperbole to underline my view that Raven Guard is steadily increasing in popularity. I agree that more background is always preferable to more (special) rules...

I'm looking forward for Deliverence...

Kenzaburo
08-09-2011, 13:10
let's restrict that to more reasonable background, not just more background in general. or else we will end up with more avatar slapping, mortarion annoying, city of change destroying lunatics, this time in the form of shrike or corax or whoever they can come up with...

enough with the uber-epicness already.

Captain Semper
08-09-2011, 14:42
Yeah, because every one here is advocating unreasonable background and super-epicness :rolleyes:

Kenzaburo
08-09-2011, 15:00
i didn't mean to imply that anyone here was asking for that. my comment was meant rather tongue in cheek, sorry if that didn't come across. be at peace, brother. :) in fact, i was trying to agree with you, that more background on several of the founding chapters would be more than welcome, as long as it's not...uhm...some of the recent drivel we had to face.