PDA

View Full Version : VC splash release a success?

pointyteeth
30-08-2011, 16:52
Just something I noted this morning while browsing through the painting forums is the explosion of vampire count armies that has started recently. I can't really think of any reason for this other than the recent WD rules & splash releases for the army. Anyone else think GW might be onto something here? I for one hope they keep this up for every army.

T10
30-08-2011, 16:57
Hurray for GW!

If they do this, like, every second month, they are bound to be able to shift interest towards any army they want.

Jind_Singh
30-08-2011, 16:58
I hope so - I think it's nice for players to get a boost for their armies without waiting for a new book!

I remember when Empire got their splash release a while back with Steam Tank, Greatswords, Huntsmen, Uniforms of the Empire, and Marius - then the Orcs & Goblins got Boar Boyz and River Trolls - totally unexpected but at the same time in injects some excitement - to the point I started a small Empire army at the time and I got more love for my beloved Orcs & Goblins

Hope they continue to do this in the future - the new splash release of Vamps is making my hobby hands itch to start a Blood Knights themed army with a Lord on Zombie Dragon!

Loopstah
30-08-2011, 17:31
It got me back into Warhammer and spending money so I think it's a pretty good plan, as long as the minis look as amazing as the Terrorgheist.

Scribe of Khorne
30-08-2011, 17:51
Yep, got me.

Haravikk
30-08-2011, 18:07
Definitely a lot of interest in the models, and I'm going to be getting a Terrorgeist just for kicks (well Storm of Magic too actually) because it's an awesome model. I also picked up a Cairn Wraith for fun.

Doubt I'll start a Vampire Counts army, as the only other stuff I have is a Black Coach and two and a half skeletons, so not a success on that front, but with Storm of Magic allowing most people to field any monster they like, things like that can shift quite readily, Vampire Counts player or not. Same for the Black Dragon actually, which I'm getting sooner :)

Snake1311
30-08-2011, 19:03
If they do this too much, its gonna get hard to keep track of releases though :s having your opponent drop a unit you've never heard of on the field is irritating.

Loopstah
30-08-2011, 19:17
If they do this too much, its gonna get hard to keep track of releases though :s having your opponent drop a unit you've never heard of on the field is irritating.

That's why you should buy White Dwarf every month, obviously. :p

pointyteeth
30-08-2011, 19:27
Its not so much the new units/rules that I hope they keep going, but the release of new models. I got snagged when they released the zombie dragon/terrorgeist not because of the new rules (which were a tasty little extra) but because of the model itself. I also grabbed one of the new plastic Cairn Wraiths, though this one was a combination of the rules and the model. If they had released the rules for Wraith Hero without a model, I doubt I'd have bought one as I'm not a fan of the metal wraiths.