PDA

View Full Version : What is next?

Tancred II von Quenelles
02-06-2005, 10:20
Anybody knows what army/campaign book for WFB isgoing to be released after Woodelwes?

Shoggoth
02-06-2005, 10:30
Next warhammer realms book should be something about dwarfs Vs. goblin: "the conquest of Karak eight peaks".

BUt

we also know that GW it's playtesting a NEW armybook for dwarf that should come out in january 2006(along with new miniatures in plastics for dwarfs and a battalion set).So even before the 7th edition rulebook(scheduled for september 2006).
When the new rulebook will come out GW will release in october 2006 a stater set a la Battle for MaCragge for WHFB.With dwarf (again!) and goblin (some rumored miniatures in this box are goblin spider riders!)..so,i'm guessing that this starter set will be "the conquest of karak eight peaks campaign"

macbeth
02-06-2005, 10:36
There are many guesses possible:

Re-doing the Dwarves.

Chaos Dwarves.

Nagash-based campaign.

Something about Grimgor (after all, he beat Archaon in HtH, it must ahve given him ideas...).

7th edition, with new Empire or Orc and Goblin book.

Mercenaries army book (they're re-releasing the old regiments, so why not?)

Tancred II von Quenelles
02-06-2005, 10:41
Next warhammer realms book should be something about dwarfs Vs. goblin: "the conquest of Karak eight peaks".

BUt

we also know that GW it's playtesting a NEW armybook for dwarf that should come out in january 2006(along with new miniatures in plastics for dwarfs and a battalion set).So even before the 7th edition rulebook(scheduled for september 2006).
When the new rulebook will come out GW will release in october 2006 a stater set a la Battle for MaCragge for WHFB.With dwarf (again!) and goblin (some rumored miniatures in this box are goblin spider riders!)..so,i'm guessing that this starter set will be "the conquest of karak eight peaks campaign"

Are you sure about release dates of dwarfs and 7th edition? Not offending you, gust interested in the relyability of your sources

Shoggoth
02-06-2005, 10:46
Oh,pretty sure ;)

It has been stated that every september GW will release a new set of rules for its 3 game systems.In 2004 they released 40k 4th edition along with battle of MaCragge.Then,this year they will publish "Mines of Moria" starter set for LoTR along with a big rules book which resume all the rules of the game.
So next year they will produce the 7th edition rules book for WHFB,infact all the main armybooks will be already out so they could work on a revised 6th edition rulebook (totally compatible with old books,like in 40k,so no "revolution" here like was happened when 6th edition came out something like 5 years ago)

rkunisch
02-06-2005, 12:29
I always thought that the Karak Eight Peaks battle was meant to be the new starter box. :confused: Are you sure about it being a Warhammer: Realms supplement?

Have fun,

Rolf.

Lady's Champion
03-06-2005, 09:49
Maybe it'll be in both

aznsk8s87
03-06-2005, 15:55
Hm. I think Dwarves need a major makeover... THEYVE GOT ONE PLASTIC SET FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

risK
03-06-2005, 16:21
That is what WE players used to do for a pretty long time...
;)

But yes, after Woodies it seems reasonable to do Dwarfs... a lot of good models already exist, but the do need more plastic. Maybe even plastic warmachinekit..? Would fit nicely in a starter box.

Hideous Loon
03-06-2005, 17:07
If we're going to rant about plastic Dwarfs, then how about GW making plastic Ironbreakers/Hammerers/Warriors who actually hold their Gt weapons in two hands? If we're not, then shame on me. Or a plastic warmachine. the trouble with that, however, would be that they would not be compatible.

I for meself would sure like to see Dwarfs as the next army after the tree-hugging Elves.

aznsk8s87
03-06-2005, 17:29
Not compatible? in what way?

I think that the special and rare units (except for the warmachines) should stay metal. They need to be "special". As for thunderers, rangers and miners I can't see why they can't be plastic. Thunderers could easily be made into plastic; just add one more sprue with arms carrying guns to the box.

Xxcha
03-06-2005, 20:18
I dont think its a question of adding extra sprues to the original box. Most armys now have atleast 3 plastic boxes, which should be the same in the case of the dwarfs.

Kelroth
03-06-2005, 20:26
It's a very versatile box, though. One more sprue and you can use it for half the army.

rkunisch
03-06-2005, 21:16
It's a very versatile box, though. One more sprue and you can use it for half the army.
Well, the two-handed weapon and the crossbow option isn't really usable. They have packed them for marching - not for a fight. :mad:

Have fun,

Rolf.

zephyro
03-06-2005, 22:54
I don't get why everyone is complaining about dwarfs here, and no-one about dark elves.

Dark elves don't even have a noble-model!!
They are in more need of plastic than dwarves, as their ''main seen best unit'' cost 40 euro's per 5 guys !(dark riders)

Zephyro

Xxcha
04-06-2005, 19:48
Yes but Dark elves have had a rules update, Dwarfs havn't had anything even though they came out before them!

zephyro
04-06-2005, 19:50
Yes, but IMO Dark elves needed the update, dwarfs didn't, and dark elves still aren't a really good force, but at least even to the weaker forces now.

Zephyro

Ashdil
04-06-2005, 19:56
From wat I have heard they would not make another armybook before 7ed, but I can see them doing dwarfs before. But why not let the dwarf go with the new ed? To get it kicking so to speak.
After that we will likely see Empire, Orcs&Goblins and perhaps DE and HE. The orcs are fine IMHO but thier armybook is old, so i think we will see thees four as the first ones (after dwarfs) to get 7ed armybooks.

rkunisch
04-06-2005, 22:41
The matter about Dark Elves was, that Druchii.net got it organized to make a good set of proposals about what to fix. They were able to convince Gav in a weak moment to consider it and so it is the only army list that got a tweaking after the army book release. The studio refused to do this again, so it was just a good timing for the Dark Elves.

The argument about the nobles have always been that the Dark Elves got a lot of unit champions, so that you get the chance to use one of them as a noble. As well as I support the idea that there are models missing (especially in the noble range), I don't see why they should be plastic? Plastic is fine for basic troops, but I still prefer the more detailed metal minis as special characters/generals/champions.

On the list of suitable plastic projects, I would see corsairs on top. Dark riders would be nice, but I can live with the current situation.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Chuffy
05-06-2005, 00:01
Well....

I think they should do an Araby and Estalian army list and do a campaign sourcebook detailing the crusades.

Mmm, achtung schnell. Das ist sehr manlich. Mein mannshaft ist gross.

The Emperor
05-06-2005, 01:40
Chaos Dwarves need to make a comeback, IMO. I've always thought they were a fantastic army.

aznsk8s87
05-06-2005, 02:28
Ha! you think DE need an update? they're one of the best armies IME! or are you thinking about Dark Eldar from 40k :p (which really DO need an update).

I honestly think that the dwarves got the butt end of the deal, so to speak.

Empire does need a rules update but does not need any new minis I think they have the most plastic sets out of everyone!

Ah. Chaos dwarves... the endless slaughter and beer drinking :evilgrin:

75hastings69
05-06-2005, 07:45
there are rumours going round GW HQ of a return of the Chaos Dwarfs, but not for a few years.

PBGhost
05-06-2005, 08:09
Oh,pretty sure ;)

It has been stated that every september GW will release a new set of rules for its 3 game systems.

:wtf:

That would mean 40k would get a 5th edition in Sept 2007--some codecies would still be 3rd edition! Or did you just mean for these 3 years, not a constant thing?

aznsk8s87
07-06-2005, 10:13
i think these 3 years. if it were a constant thing they'd never get any codices done.

Griefbringer
07-06-2005, 11:39
Well, it has been a long time habit for GW to release some new boxed game set every year (usually autumn) for a good number of years.

2004 Battle for Macragge
2003 Return of the King
2002 The Two Towers
2001 Fellowship of the Ring
2000 Warhammer Fantasy Battle (6th edition)
1999 Battlefleet Gothic, Mordheim
1998 Warhammer 40000 (3rd edition)
1997 Epic40000
1996 Warhammer Fantasy Battle (5th edition)
1995 Necromunda
1994 Warhammer Quest
1993 Man'o'War, Warhammer 40000 (2nd edition)
1992 Warhammer Fantasy Battle (4th edition)
1991 Space Marine (2nd edition)

I might have gotten some of the years slightly wrong.

aznsk8s87
07-06-2005, 12:58
Well, it has been a long time habit for GW to release some new boxed game set every year (usually autumn) for a good number of years.

2004 Battle for Macragge
2003 Return of the King
2002 The Two Towers
2001 Fellowship of the Ring
2000 Warhammer Fantasy Battle (6th edition)
1999 Battlefleet Gothic, Mordheim
1998 Warhammer 40000 (3rd edition)
1997 Epic40000
1996 Warhammer Fantasy Battle (5th edition)
1995 Necromunda
1994 Warhammer Quest
1993 Man'o'War, Warhammer 40000 (2nd edition)
1992 Warhammer Fantasy Battle (4th edition)
1991 Space Marine (2nd edition)

I might have gotten some of the years slightly wrong.

that looks pretty accurate.

Odin
07-06-2005, 13:15
Empire does need a rules update but does not need any new minis I think they have the most plastic sets out of everyone!

Yes, but their state troops plastics are not very good. They need to be brought up to the standard of the Free Co. at some stage. The Knights are far from perfect as well.

Misfratz
10-06-2005, 23:19
I'm expecting both Dark Elves and Dwarfs to get the battalion box treatment as Skaven, High Elves and Lizardmen have recently had. This would also include extra hero models... It seems that the next UKWD will include some rules for a new Dogs of War Sorcerer. This is the sort of rules support that Chaos Dwarfs haven't had a sniff of [they're still using the Ravening Hordes list], so it suggests that the studio are working towards a Dogs of War book of some sort.

Chaos Dwarfs could take a while methinks. If they're working towards the release of 7th edition within a year and a half than they're probably up to their ears in work around that and the army book revisions that would accompany it.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any inkling what other battalion boxes might be released at around Christmas time? It seems to me that it comes down to a choice between Vampire Counts, Chaos Mortals or Chaos Beasts.

neXus6
10-06-2005, 23:32
I have to say Empire really are in the most need of new models, they currently have the oldest plastic set, Chaos was the first but they have been redone. I would love to do an Empire army, the frills really work well on the metal models but the old plastics just don't have the detail needed for it to not look totaly crap.
The militia are survivable but all the statetroops, particularly the god awful spearmen and handgunners.

Gotrek
11-06-2005, 01:04
and "head sized hands" dwarves don't? and their weapons all packed to march? (of all races dwarves that are tacticaly static during most of the game). dwarves need a few tweaks here and there like general LD 18" and skirmishing slayers and cheaper cannon and higher range organ gun, etc etc etc...

Inquisitor DreaxIV
11-06-2005, 01:37
I dont think Empire need their entire miniature range redone, but some models could be fixed up such as the wizard models, the knights and state troops as stated by Odin.

Vampire counts needs better character models as most people use the mordheim at the moment. Chaos Mortals does not need another set of new models.

They are pefectly fine as they are but as a Beastmen player i know my amy needs new models as the minotaurs, bray-shamans, dragon ogres, and doombull all need new models. Minotaurs should be made plastic if they are redone so people can make affordable doombull lists.

One thing that would be great would be plastic Warhounds so i dont have to spend $18 on a blister of 2 which cost just over 10 points together :mad:

Xisor
11-06-2005, 02:34
Personally, I think everyone is happy to see the Dwarfs revisited. They're book is fair and well balanced, and more than that: CHARACTERFUL. It's not an educational read, like the Lizardmen book, but it actually gives you a taste of what being a dwarf is like! Grumpy.

The models are all nice enough, but looking at the Dwarfs on the front cover of the army book, *thats* what I want an army of! Make them proportionally sized and they will be some of the best models ever!

Alot of the ranges could do with tweaks and such, but I'm sure if GW gets their head around them quickly and deals with them in batches of 2-3 at a time, they can 1) Keep alot of players happy with only a small amount of changes and 2) leave alot of space open for 'larger' projects, such as Chaos Dwarfs.

The dwarfs don't really need 'new units' or newfangled things like Goblinseekers and Doomhewers to keep interest, simply fixing things is good enough. A few modifications, points changes, rules changes should sort it. More fluff, same style, bigger book, I'm sure GW can do it without screwing it up from best book to worst :eyebrows:

I'm looking forward to it anyway :D

Xisor

Gotrek
11-06-2005, 05:59
i'm eagerly waiting for the book to give such cheese to dwarves that one handgun shot kills off 2/3 chaos warriors :D

it's about time we get the few tweeks we need to get ourselfs on the wagon again!!!

Voss
11-06-2005, 07:14
and "head sized hands" dwarves don't? and their weapons all packed to march? (of all races dwarves that are tacticaly static during most of the game). dwarves need a few tweaks here and there like general LD 18" and skirmishing slayers and cheaper cannon and higher range organ gun, etc etc etc...

OK, I'm confused. Is the 'stowed weapons' thing that big a deal? Is it actually worse than most models in a 'slashing at non-existant enemies' pose? And with that move of 3 and relentless, they can march more often than anyone else. Think of it as Dwarven stoicism. They don't need to give them selves courage by gripping/hiding behind their weapons. They can be indifferent up until the moment of actual engagement.

Also- why do dwarven generals need an 18" leadership range? There isn't anything particularly fluffy about it, and since dwarves have the best leadership anyway, it doesn't seem that important or useful. Do you really want to pay extra points for that ability? Be satisfied with a leadership 9 for the one or two units outside the generals 12" radius.

Skirmishing slayers? Aiyah. So many ways to abuse that. Picture a single line of slayers 2" apart, 20 would make a nice 40" unbreakable wall across the battlefield that enemies would be forced to charge to get to other units.

Be happy with the organ gun's range. If its range gets stretched to 24", it will probably get the long range penalty of 1/2 hits at S4, like the Empire volley gun.

I do think the artillery in general needs to be tweaked... it tends to be a rather iffy, fragile point sink. I also think something should be done to break the dwarves away from what tends to be a static army type. They need to have more options than a couple of mid-sized infantry blocks backed up by a few min-sized missile units and artillery.

Maybe some abilities for special units, runes, or 'Grudgebearers'- characters with some interesting abilities, that are particularly dwarven. Nothing across the board for the whole army, however. Such as:

Protect the Kin- nearby unit can countercharge an enemy unit that charges a nearby Dwarf unit. Enemy must outnumber, cause fear/terror, or otherwise be impressive. Proper dwarfs can see off weedy critters on their own, after all.

Avenge the Dead- unit affected by hatred, and gets a free move toward enemy unit that just wiped out a friendly Dwarven unit. Count as charging if they contact the enemy.

Final Defiance- Casualties in hand to hand can still make attacks, even if killed before their initiative value.

75hastings69
11-06-2005, 07:14
.....as a Beastmen player i know my amy needs new models as the minotaurs, bray-shamans, dragon ogres, and doombull all need new models. Minotaurs should be made plastic if they are redone so people can make affordable doombull lists.

I could not agree more. Plastic Minotaurs would be awesome, especially as they did Plastic Rat Ogres, C'Mon GW plastic minotaurs are the order of the day. And Dragon Ogres definately need redone, I mean a shaggoth is meant to be an ancient DO right? so why do the 2 look completely different? lets's have mini shaggoths please.

I think after Dwarfs, which are definately next race to be done in plastic, GW should turn it's attention to VC. New plastic skeletons, definate new plastic zombies (the kit is great and can be mixed with other sprues for great effect, but why oh why the enormous hands????), new plastic Ghouls, and most of all plastic skeleton horses. If they redo VC i would like to see the inclusion of Werewolves, maybe also a nice kit for plastics, and skin/flesh golems (Ogre Sized!!!!!)

Chaos players have enough to last them ages (apart from god specific weapon sprue & great weapon sprue, whatever happened to that anyway?) maybe then look to update some empire plastics.

Griefbringer
11-06-2005, 07:42
As for plastic minotaurs, didn't the Warhammer Quest box contain some of those?

rkunisch
11-06-2005, 08:04
OK, I'm confused. Is the 'stowed weapons' thing that big a deal? Is it actually worse than most models in a 'slashing at non-existant enemies' pose? And with that move of 3 and relentless, they can march more often than anyone else. Think of it as Dwarven stoicism. They don't need to give them selves courage by gripping/hiding behind their weapons. They can be indifferent up until the moment of actual engagement.
Yes, it is that big a deal. :p For me it is at least. When they first released the box, I was disappointed. The static poses just do not fit an army that regulary stands in harms way and awaits the attack. This is especially true for the crossbows. I also disliked the new (viking/nordic/germanic) style of the minis. The box was definitely an archivement over the old one-pose-for-all plastics, but far from being excellent. In this circumstance, it is a pity that the Dwarf army book was one of the earlier ones. Most of the current plastics are better.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Festus
11-06-2005, 10:18
Hi

Mmm, achtung schnell. Das ist sehr manlich. Mein mannshaft ist gross.

What should that be?
Well, I am German and I didn't get a thing of it? What did you intend to say?

Greetings
Festus

Brandir
11-06-2005, 11:14
Karak Azgal: Dragon Crag will be released (in the UK) on 21 Oct 05.

It is a WFRP supplement.

The 7th ed of WHFB has not yet been confirmed for 2006 but it is very likely. It will be along the lines of Battle of Macragge and feature Dwarves and Goblins. Apparently the new Wood Elf book has been written with the new ed in mind and all future Army Books will be similar.

GW are also going to release another part work in the UK in conjunctin with De Agostini after the phenomenal success of Battle Games in Middle-earth. Unfortunately no-one will confirm whether it will be WH40K or WHFB based! Anyone know? I'd guess WH40K but I have been wrong before .....

Lady's Champion
11-06-2005, 11:25
PLease be Fantasy that would be so cool (but yea it'll be space marines why stop just when their profits are rising?)

Agnostos
11-06-2005, 17:21
What about the orcs and goblin range? they all grin!

why do they smile like that? all of there models seeme way to cartoony.. and if you have seen the orcs in the new artwork then you see the dont look at all like the old. so i think they will look quite different when the get redone. and thank god! :D

:rolleyes:

Alman
11-06-2005, 18:19
Ok here's my take on this lot:

Dwarfs: From what I've heard the army is getting redone, but is going to become in the words of one source a 'little too powerfull'. The book iself is actually quite good, there are other armies which require an update much more urgently.

Vampire Counts: Things need to be addressed about the lack of a Vampire general option at games below 1.5k. After all it is Warhammer armies: VAMPIRE COUNTS

Dark Elves: New models, some tweeks

High Elves: Some minor tweeks (Archer's overpriced etc) (This is to get away from the all mounted HE armies that seem to be the only way to win with them

Skaven: Needs toned DOWN, ratling guns are FAR TOO CHEEP, for what is in essence a man portable hellblaster. Warlock engineers shouldn't be able to use the 2d6 warp lightening, for the tiny amount of points they pay for it (it's S5 afterall) The idea of all shooting weapons counting as magical is a little odd, especally as they seemingly pay no points for the ability, as is shooting in to combat. The Skaven list should have much more of a low tech hoard feel to it. The warmachine should be a little more expenisve.

All the rest are still good, just a case of a few new minitures.

Anyhoo I'm new so I shan't be suprised if I'm shot down.

Rich
11-06-2005, 18:29
I have to say, I think dwarves definately deserve some new models - as has been said before, they have only one plastic boxed set, and that isn't the best of the boxes out there. A lot of the other races have two or three plastic sets, including artillery pieces and such like - its nigh time the dwarves had access to the cheaper (and posable) plastic models.

Renka
11-06-2005, 18:34
I've read in an interview with Gave Thorpe that Games Workshop will try to deal with Dogs of War next (well, apart from the Wood Elves obviously) and that they will take their time with Warhammer Fantasy 7th Edition, but I have no idea how old that interview actually was so Games Workshop may have made up their minds, I dunno.
I think the game works reasonable fine at the moment and with the release of the new Wood Elves little work need to be done rules-wise other than dealing with all the weapons of mass destruction in the Warhammer world (namely Hellblasters, Fanatics, Giants and Rattling guns). Then they can put more time into fine-tuning the armies into perfection as well as producing new models (made of plastics!!).

Alman
11-06-2005, 21:33
Why does releasing new plastics (or models) suddenly make everyone shout for new rules

HE Bolt Thrower and Hero's. Yet no new rules

So we can have new Dwarf models, we DON'T need an Dwarf re-write

Dwarfs are fine at the mo.

Apparently, there getting a re-write because most of head office plays dwarfs and they want it.

Skaven, Vampires and Both flavours of Elves need consideration. In that order

Crazy Harborc
11-06-2005, 21:58
IMHO, the GW suits assume that throwing out new minies here and there will allow them to sneek in rewrites on armybooks here and there. GW makes a good profit on their rulebooks and armybooks.

Since GW did promise that when 7th Ed. comes out the armybooks will still be useable..........maybe, the new/rewritten armybooks are going to occur first :eek:

Renka
11-06-2005, 22:51
Can't see why you would want to update the elven army books, in my opinion they are both fine! Skaven could need some minor tweeks (i.e. tune down their shooting) and I don't have an opinion on Vampire Counts. Dwarfs I can understand, they could use a new army book but other than them I think GW should concentrate on the core rules and models.

Griefbringer
12-06-2005, 08:52
Since GW did promise that when 7th Ed. comes out the armybooks will still be useable..........maybe, the new/rewritten armybooks are going to occur first :eek:

I don't really see a relation, especially as it is known how GW works.

And just because they might revamp an armybook six months after the 7th edition rules come out, does not mean that your earlier 6th edition armybook just became incompatible with the 7th edition rules.

Actually, the old good Ravening Hordes lists should be fully useable with the 7th edition.

Quetzl
15-06-2005, 11:22
I can't believe the lack of people who don't think Vampire Counts are good enough for a revisit. Personally I think the Vampire Counts have the potential to have every model in their range re-done *except for the Zombies of course*. I don't know about any of you, but most of the other armies have the feel of well an army, whereas Vampire Counts have no army feel and are completely unorganised.
I think that the Vampire Counts are a toughie, but I believe Games Workshop will have to adress these old chaps some time in the future as they have well and truly been left behind.

Apart from that, I think most of the primary release armies need some of their models updating... Not Rules particularly apart from Dark Elves and Dwarfs... These range from plastic sets to metal kits that just look too old these days. I think of all Dwarfs need some better models, plastics as some have said along with updated metals that do not get a look at being plastic. Next down would be Dark Elves, nothing drastic but a little bit of an update. From there I would hope that Skaven, Empire and Orcs & Goblins would get a look in but they are not in the most desperate need as the Storm of Chaos visited those armies.

Personally this should all be done like it has been done for Lustria, simply because it allows for more than just the re-release of an army. It can involve Campaigns new gaming rules and so on, but of course it means several armies can get a little update at the same time, which can please more people.

Thats my useless Opinion :D On re-releases.................

On to new stuff............ Chaos Dwarfs :D I would love to see them, and some how some way they must be fitted into the release schedule for after the release of 7th.

Peace_

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 12:39
What should that be?
Well, I am German and I didn't get a thing of it? What did you intend to say?

Greetings
Festus

"Attention quickly. I am very (manly, not a german word). My team is very great. (mannschaft.....sounds like Man Shaft, hahaha!)

I'd really like the Orc and Goblin book to be updated, it's looking very old and lacking in so much detail and background. I think it would be nice to have all the old information from the 5th ed book crammed in there along with some more cool things like how an orc camp works and operates etc etc.

Plus adding in official appendix lists like a Savage Orc Horde (with new models to offset the current terrible ones) and to have the return of forest goblins and spider-riders. Plus sorting out a few choices here and there (reduction of doom diver points) and making trolls worth taking.

I agree about the VC being re-done. Whoever said they feel very ramshackles and the book is more a collection of units rather than an army, I agree with that. New Vampire models are desperately needed aswell as new Grave Guard and Necromancer models. Plus new Black Knight models wouldn't hurt either.

I don't really have much of a problem with Empire, I actually quite like the State Troop Models. However they should probably be re-done, allowing for multi-part spearmen or at least seperate boxes for Handgunners and Spearmen. And Knight models in the vein of Volands Venators (best cavalry models ever). The rules themselves really need a solution to Halberdiers, Engineers and Warrior Priests though.

Elves? Nobody cares.

But still....

ARABIANS ARABIANS ARABIANS!

A Dancing Penguin
15-06-2005, 21:23
I'm still waiting for new clanrat models.... I really want to play Skaven, but I can't stand the current clanrats. And a horde army is just impossible for me when I hate the main unit.

I realize clanrats don't have to be the mainstay unit, but sadly thatís the kind of army I want. So...complain complain

EvC
15-06-2005, 22:23
Well given the new plastic battalion has 40 of the buggers, I can't see new Clanrat models for a very long time...

macbeth
16-06-2005, 13:50
VCs are really in great need for new vampire minis... Especially teh Von Carsteins and the Strigois. The Blood Dragon are quite good. The Nechrarchs are meant to be ugly. The Lahmia... Well, GW has never managed to make good female models...

I think that new balck knights would be a good idea, as the current ones are not really good: they do not even have barded steeds...

But as for the rules, and the army book, they seem fine to me. VCs are one of the most balanced army... Maybe just do something in order to make them playable under 2000 points games...

75hastings69
16-06-2005, 15:24
I can update the answer to the original question in this thread.

What is next?

here's what.....

WE (releases from July - October)
LOTR The Mines of Moria (*NEW LOTR Game - like BoM for 40k - £40 starter set includes plastic scenery & plastic CAVE TROLL!!!!!)(October)
Black Templars (40k)(Xmas)
Dwarfs (Including updated war machines designed by £%%$ %$$"^^& using GW's new %%^%£$"^ process)(names removed to save any trouble) (Xmas - or BEFORE!!!!!)

rkunisch
16-06-2005, 15:28
Black Templars and Dwarfs at the same time? That sounds unlikely...

Have fun,

Rolf.

Jedi152
16-06-2005, 15:57
I've read in an interview with Gave Thorpe that Games Workshop will try to deal with Dogs of War next...
This seems possible. The re-release of all the old dogs of war could easily been seen as GW selling off old metal stock before ... dare i say it? *gasp* plastic pikemen?

Griefbringer
16-06-2005, 16:26
I'm still waiting for new clanrat models.... I really want to play Skaven, but I can't stand the current clanrats. And a horde army is just impossible for me when I hate the main unit.

It is always possible to use those 'runners as clanrats too.

75hastings69
16-06-2005, 17:12
Black Templars and Dwarfs at the same time? That sounds unlikely...

Have fun,

Rolf.

That's what i thought too, but Dwarfs may actually come out BEFORE Black Templars. Glad to know that someone who has sculpted some of GWs best minis is doing work on the new Dwarfs ;)

rkunisch
16-06-2005, 17:41
Glad to know that someone who has sculpted some of GWs best minis is doing work on the new Dwarfs ;)
They re-hired Fitzpatrick? :eek: :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

Gorbad Ironclaw
16-06-2005, 17:46

I realize clanrats don't have to be the mainstay unit, but sadly thatís the kind of army I want. So...complain complain

Maybe use the new Plague Monks? Yes, I know they are not technically clanrats, but the models are very nice actually, and you could easily use them as Clanrats if you wanted.

75hastings69
16-06-2005, 18:45
They re-hired Fitzpatrick? :eek: :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

:eyebrows:

NakedFisherman
16-06-2005, 19:33
It is always possible to use those 'runners as clanrats too.

They still have the 'big hand' syndrome. Besides, making an army of proxies is a bad idea.

Maybe use the new Plague Monks? Yes, I know they are not technically clanrats, but the models are very nice actually, and you could easily use them as Clanrats if you wanted.

You can use Space Marines as Clanrats too, but it looks equally ridiculous.

The Judge
16-06-2005, 19:48
I doubt that Dawves would be before templars - they tend to do fantasy, then 40K - Wood Elves then dwarves seems like too long a gap between the Marine releases...

75hastings69
16-06-2005, 20:28
I doubt that Dawves would be before templars - they tend to do fantasy, then 40K - Wood Elves then dwarves seems like too long a gap between the Marine releases...

I seriously doubt it too, but my contact (in GW HQ) seems pretty confident. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I am pleased to hear that dwarfs, and especially their warmachines are getting the overhaul before other stuff.

After Dwarfs I would REALLY like to see VC minis get updated. I like the zombie sprue, the fact that you can use it with so many other sprues to good effect (my own VC Mousillon force is coming along pretty well now, and I am particulary pleased with my Black Knights), but I HATE the massive hands (just like i hate the Clanrat hands - and feet for that matter!!), and i think they could make them more frightening and less comical looking. I have never liked the skeletal steeds, and really think they should have tried for skeletal camels for Tomb Kings rather than sticking with the existing skeletal horses. The skeleton sprue itself is ok, but again I would like them to be updated. And I would like to see plastic Ghouls.

But I am pleased with any progress made in plastics for the WFB range, I like plastics better as I find them easier to convert, assemble, and paint. Here's hoping that the new Dwarfs are worth the wait, as i'm missing out on the current Wood Elf craze to collect them instead.

Griefbringer
17-06-2005, 13:05
They still have the 'big hand' syndrome. Besides, making an army of proxies is a bad idea.

Armed with spears, swords and shields, I think they would definitely look more like clanrats than 'runners, thus not being proxies.

Of course, for the best look one should go for the old metal clanrats, but they tend to be rather pricy to get hold of.

A Dancing Penguin
18-06-2005, 01:02
That's my major problem with the skaven plastics, the big hands. And while I could use the new plague monks or the night runners, and I still might, its just not a first choice.

But of course some armies like dwarfs need some improvements more, so I'll just be patient :)

Taliesynkp
18-06-2005, 02:32
I would really like to see a magic supplement for Warhammer. Something along the lines of the old "Arcane Magic" boxed set. Something that would work with the existing army books but that revises the magic phase into something where lower level mages have at least some chance to cast spells. I'm not talking about a return to winds of magic cards (thought that would be sweet) just a revision to the existing rules, to include revision to all the existing spell lists.

Frankly
18-06-2005, 07:52
Hm. I think Dwarves need a major makeover... THEYVE GOT ONE PLASTIC SET FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

I've got a mate who's made a 4k dwarf army strictly out of plastic ... including his 10 bolt throwers and 2 catapults ... cheep bastard. :evilgrin:

Sorry Ricko.

I'm hoping for a chaos dwarves redo. This will atleast go a little way in showing that GW still support hobbists who have supported their company.

I do like how they have been bringing out and up grading other models though.

Il Magno
18-06-2005, 08:49
My personal desire is to see the chaos dwarf return with their rumored "steam-punk style" back ground.

I agree also on a proper magic supplement (may be not necessary to have to play), because I find usefull and nice to use the old magic cards.

I agree also on the request for a magic phase review, with armies not supported by four level mages, able to play in this phase.

Last but not least desire a dog of war review: in my opinion it could be very nice to have "regiments of renown" to increase the variability of each army, and then to have a proper army list for the DoW, this could be done without not to much effort working a little bit on the Warhammer Chronicles list.

Thats all :) ;)

Jeru
19-06-2005, 09:07
I heard rumors around the local shop of the Cathay army coming out the next 2-3 years? Anyone else hear juicy tidbits? ^^

75hastings69
19-06-2005, 09:10
I did hear ages ago, and posted on the old portent that they were looking at cathay, this was laughed at by the same people that didn't beleive me about plastic rat ogres. However that said i haven't hear anything about cathay for maonths. I will try and find out what i can.

75hastings69
19-06-2005, 20:05
Right, had chance for a wee chat, here is a piece of an e-mail i received..........

"the only cathay stuff on the immediate horizon is in the new version of Mordheim called Marrienburgh Guild Wars that should be on the website in the next two or three months its stil arround two years before we see anything else in print"

There you go then.

karneambara
19-06-2005, 21:13
lol. i heard cathay were coming out in 3 years four and a half years ago.

My bet is on no more new armies for a while. Or they will be like the kislev army. No-one seriously plays them.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
20-06-2005, 09:28
...and a shame that is too, the kossars are some of my fav models ever. I don't see why they would bring cathay into the game without filling the void (chaos dwarves, the ogres have been done, but they'd sooner do the Great Hobgobla Hegemony). There's a lot of space between the Old World and Cathay and even if they mapped it all out, a lot of it is blank. If they did cathay, all the samurai fans would cry for a nippon list and I will start whining for a Kingdoms of Ind list. In essence, all these new armies would warrant the phasing out of LotR (which is fine w/ me). 40k got Tau, we got Ogres. GW's not in the habit of introducing more than one new army per edition (TK and VC are still extended from Undead...like BoC and HoC from RoC). Now, Warhammer Armies: Chaos Llamas is confirmed to be coming out after the Karak 8 Peaks campaign when the Chaos Wastes in the South swell and invade lustria.

sulla
20-06-2005, 11:06
I'd rather see a Hobgoblins of the Steppe list than another human list to tell the truth...Plus, I don't think a realistic Nippon list could be competitive with rennaissance lists like Empire or Skaven and fantastic nippon would run the risk of having humans more skilled than Elves or Chaos. The same goes for Cathay too.

Quetzl
21-06-2005, 10:00
Personally, I would love to see several new armies that are a complete mystery to the game, but I don't think the stores could stock it at all. They would need to do something drastic to the shelfing, maybe up to the roof and then add step laders to wheel around on like B&Q...

Is and sounds like a stupid idea for a store, and it would take up gaming space, so stores would be able to have a maximum of one table for people to play on. I think that if new armies did begin to appear on the horizon, the stores would maybe close for a couple of days to get some serious refitting done.

Lady's Champion
21-06-2005, 11:58
Well, here's the news I got from high up in the mists of GW

Basically, they are re-doing dwarves as mentioned then come 7th edition minor update with the re-release of the original books- Empire and Orcs

Then High Elves poss.

Quetzl
24-06-2005, 10:26
I understand the Empire and Orcs being on the agenda... But High Elves just got a little clean up with the Lustria campaign, I don't think that they would get one quite as soon as that.

But thats just my opinion.

aznsk8s87
25-06-2005, 23:12
high elves are pretty well off already. there's not much in the range that needs to be revisited. empire also seems to be in good shape. orcs i can understand, but empire?

Avian
25-06-2005, 23:39
Which armies will get attention can by my theory be found by looking at which armies have the least ammount of regiment sets.
Let's see:
Dwarfs: 1
Dark Elves: 1
Vampire Counts: 2
That's my guess.

Sgt John Keel
26-06-2005, 00:09
Chaos Dwarves: 0
Dogs of War: 0

My money's still on Dwarves in any case.

And you better leave the Dark Elf models alone, GW!

/Adrian

takenoko
26-06-2005, 00:38
high elves are pretty well off already. there's not much in the range that needs to be revisited. empire also seems to be in good shape. orcs i can understand, but empire?

My theory is that they wish to update the Empire background and style, from being today's all-clean renaissance style soldiers, to a more dirty and religiously fanatical after-the storm army, where warrior priests and free companies form a more cenral part.

But that's just a theory, though... I hope they wouln't do so, because my all-clean Averland force has just begun to take shape ^^

NakedFisherman
26-06-2005, 02:36
I doubt that'll happen. Maybe add more variants of Warrior Priests, but the Empire book as it is is pretty rock solid.

My theory is that they wish to update the Empire background and style, from being today's all-clean renaissance style soldiers, to a more dirty and religiously fanatical after-the storm army, where warrior priests and free companies form a more cenral part.

But that's just a theory, though... I hope they wouln't do so, because my all-clean Averland force has just begun to take shape ^^

takenoko
26-06-2005, 10:29
I doubt that'll happen. Maybe add more variants of Warrior Priests, but the Empire book as it is is pretty rock solid.

Yeah, I doubt that too, since it would mean a lot of trouble to all them Empire players out there. But I do believe that GW do have some plans for making the Empire a darker and less colourful place to live in.

And even though I would personaly like to see the Empire Knights redone, since they're not amongst THE worst plastics out there (read Silver Helms, Dwaves, HE Spearmen), I guess I have to wait.

aznsk8s87
26-06-2005, 12:50
Yeah, I doubt that too, since it would mean a lot of trouble to all them Empire players out there. But I do believe that GW do have some plans for making the Empire a darker and less colourful place to live in.

And even though I would personaly like to see the Empire Knights redone, since they're not amongst THE worst plastics out there (read Silver Helms, Dwaves, HE Spearmen), I guess I have to wait.

i'd imagine that they'd be a much brighter place to live in, seeing as they pushed back chaos and all. although they would be ready to defend themselves, they've had their morale boosted.

Squirrel
26-06-2005, 20:32
i'd imagine that they'd be a much brighter place to live in, seeing as they pushed back chaos and all. although they would be ready to defend themselves, they've had their morale boosted.

I doubt they have...devasted homes crops burned leader dissappeared.

If I lived they I'd be pretty depressed at the moment...

Brucey...

Cigaro
26-06-2005, 21:08
I'm hoping for a new Chaos Dwarf army book. If not before seventh edition, soon after.

aznsk8s87
26-06-2005, 22:04
i'm hoping but it doesn't look like they're gonna do anything about them... maybe they could include rules in a new Dwarf army book and leave it up to the individuals to convert their own minis?

ghost21
26-06-2005, 22:09
prehaps the new dwarf book will open the door to there dark kin?

takenoko
26-06-2005, 22:29

They didn't quite push them back, did they? Rather "sent them scattering into the forests of the Empire"... Even though the forces of Chaos failed in their attempt to seize Middenheim, they still did slaughter a lot of people, and this year's harvest probably aint too good, I guess ;)

As for CD, I hope there will be more information on their whereabouts in the new WA Dwarfs. And since their is in the most recently released book (OK), I have no doubt at all. As for the future, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Misfratz
26-06-2005, 23:25
Remembering that, as Gav himself recently reminded us, GW is a miniatures-driven company and primarily create rules for the miniatures rather than the other way round.

The motivation for redoing the Empire plastics [or atleast the soldiers box set/Spearmen and handgunners - the militia and knights are fine] is that, like the Chaos Warriors which have recently been redone, they are amongst the oldest plastics. GW can get a lot more detail onto their plastics then they used to be able so new Empire plastics would be of a considerably higher quality. I'm sure we'll see some not long after 7th edition...

Master of Stealth
27-06-2005, 08:37
There are a couple of armys that needs more plastic. Dark elf only got one. Beastmens has only one, dwarfs only has one and... is there anymore?

Quetzl
27-06-2005, 08:51
Unfortunately we could guess all day for what is next, but I think that most of us have come to the conclusion that the Dwarfs are next on Games Workshop's agenda.

Artein
02-07-2005, 12:51
and what I heard:
1. Next army will be Chaos Dwarfes.
2. Soon after Chaos Dwarves will come 7th edition.
3. Next two battalions will be for Dwarfes and Dark Elves.
4. Next big campaign will be about Nagash.
5. Karak Eight Peaks will be just a sub-campaign.
6. GW is writing Warhammer Realms: Ulthuan right now.

Punk_in_Drublic
02-07-2005, 14:09
The motivation for redoing the Empire plastics [or atleast the soldiers box set/Spearmen and handgunners - the militia and knights are fine] is that, like the Chaos Warriors which have recently been redone, they are amongst the oldest plastics. GW can get a lot more detail onto their plastics then they used to be able so new Empire plastics would be of a considerably higher quality. I'm sure we'll see some not long after 7th edition...

My God, I hope you are right. I'm putting off adding state troops for my Empire army just for that reason.

Later,

-Punk

nurglich
02-07-2005, 14:14
Well i personally hope for new cd's, there the only list not to be looked at from the rh booklet. Didn't they have boar centaurs in really old fluff (wfrp)?
light cav done for a start, bull centaurs heavy... you get the idea. I suggest people make a joint project like the cathay progect and get it sent to them... well just a suggestion :D

nurglich
02-07-2005, 14:28
I think games workshop need more polls on their web site asking what people want next.Is anyone else slightly dissapointed with the new wild riders mini's? imo the glade riders look better in just about every aspect of what a naturally posed elf riding a steed should look like, whats with the 2 arms in the air??? I cant wait for the army set 28 days :)

Warlord Gnashgrod
02-07-2005, 18:52
Skaven could use a new clanrat plastic regiment models. The current ones look really bad now compared to the new plastic plague monks. Please redo the Clanrats, GW! Get rid of the oversized hands and feet.

nurglich
02-07-2005, 20:33
Skaven could use a new clanrat plastic regiment models. The current ones look really bad now compared to the new plastic plague monks. Please redo the Clanrats, GW! Get rid of the oversized hands and feet.

They are slightly exagerated arn't they... :rolleyes:

Shoggoth
02-07-2005, 21:59
and what I heard:

Which is your source of informations?

1. Next army will be Chaos Dwarfes.

No.Next army will be DWARFS..no chaotic ones

2. Soon after Chaos Dwarves will come 7th edition.

No.7th edition will come out in september 2006.Ni way evil stounties will come out before this date.MAYBE the will get published after the 7th edition out..in a far future

3. Next two battalions will be for Dwarfes and Dark Elves.

That's true

4. Next big campaign will be about Nagash.

Mm...seems a likely guess..but for summer 2007.not next summer

5. Karak Eight Peaks will be just a sub-campaign.

This will be the "MaCragge style" starter set's location,out in october 2006

6. GW is writing Warhammer Realms: Ulthuan right now.

Mmm....seriously?I know that next Warhammer Realms book will be about the prelude to the War of the Beards..involving DE and Dwarfs...that's why those armies will get new battalion boxes along with new plastics miniatures

ghost21
03-07-2005, 00:00
im quite glad that whaammer is giving rules to the various relms it gives us an idear how the inhabitants cope there
ulthran would be cool

but nagroth would be better
(ps im aware i carnt spell)... sory chaps

nurglich
03-07-2005, 00:30
Wasn't the war of the beard (i feel ridiculus writing that) between HE and Dwarfs? :confused:
Warhammer realms Badlands :D bring back the evil stunties, without the huge hats ;)

Artein
03-07-2005, 09:27
I have many sources of information, I heard may things, put them together and post it here....

Chaos Dwarfs will be next new army, normal Dwarfs will have just new rules.

I think tahat next summer will be some campaigne for 40k and then the one with Nagash.

On Asur.org there's a guy from GW saying that he's working on Warhammer Realms: Ulthuan and asking for help and oppinion HE players.

Lord-Warlock
03-07-2005, 10:25
That guy doesn't look too official to me... GWers usually use capitals and make their posts a little more official-looking. WR: Ulthuans looks more like a fan project to me.

Linky to Asur.org post (http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/viewtopic.php?t=8283)

nurglich
03-07-2005, 11:13
Am i the only one who wants a reincarnation of the CD's? Think about the list and mini's ohhhh the potential

Evisss
03-07-2005, 13:35
Am i the only one who wants a reincarnation of the CD's?

No there are lots of people wanting the CDs to be redone again though from what GW has said they will not appear for a couple of years meaning some current armies will be updated. Not only the people who collect would like to see them.

Griefbringer
04-07-2005, 10:14
That guy doesn't look too official to me... GWers usually use capitals and make their posts a little more official-looking. WR: Ulthuans looks more like a fan project to me.

Not to mention that GW design studio fellows do not usually go out to ask for help or opinions (or anything else).

Quetzl
04-07-2005, 22:32
I think the return of the Chaos Dwarfs would be great in everyones eyes, and it would be a great investment as well, as many people seem to like the idea of these chaps. But due to sods law, GW have sort of forgot them, for unkown reasons of course and its only recently that they are beginning to see an advanced interest.

You only have to read the interviews to find out the Chaos Dwarf dilema - for example the stuido hasn't even considered them yet, and they wish to of course but they need to make time for it. Due to Games Workshops long design process *Of which I have no quarrels with* they wouldn't be on the shelves until 2007! So unless GW has been keeping the Chaos Dwarf production under lock, key, padlock, laser fence, guard dogs and las-cannon, I don't think that Chaos Dwarfs would be next.

There are also many other reasons why GW might struggle with teh Chaos Dwarfs, firstly is thats they are Chaos, and GW insisted that they were not going to produce anything to do with Chaos for a long time. Main reasons for this being, the Hordes and Beasts of Chaos along with the Storm of Chaos which engulfed the summer 0f 2004... GW simply said no more Chaos, so make of that what you will. *Yes I know Chaos Dwarfs aren't really intwined with Chaos blablabla*

Secondly - Space - GW basically have said that they want someone to walk into any of their stores and buy anything from there three core games. And because Warhammer is venturing onto 16+ races things are beginning to get a little tight on the shelf front. I mean if I wanted to buy a box of Dark Elf Warriors from my local store in Eastbourne and found that they had been taken of the shelf because of a new army being released, I wouldn't be to happy ordering it as the official store should always have the official stuff!

So enough from me! I have probably made you fall asleep! But anywho I think everyone wants Chaos Dwarfs SOOOO bad, but I think everyone is going to have to do some serious head scrathing before they are on the shelves.

Voss
05-07-2005, 05:17
WR: Ulthuan (or whatever the spelling is) doesn't make much sense anyway. The realms series (and I use the term series advisedly, since I expect lustria to bomb like cityfight did) is supposed to be for new and unusual battlegrounds and terrain. An island with forests and plains just like the old world doesn't cut it. Something involving badlands/deserts/tundra or tunnels is more likely

Chaos Dwarves are not currently in production (its been stated quite clearly at seminars at Games Days for the past several years). Given design time, you won't see them until at least 2007. This isn't changing. So as cool as it would be, people, let it go.

Arthion
05-07-2005, 17:46
I have many sources of information, I heard may things, put them together and post it here....

Chaos Dwarfs will be next new army, normal Dwarfs will have just new rules.

I think tahat next summer will be some campaigne for 40k and then the one with Nagash.

On Asur.org there's a guy from GW saying that he's working on Warhammer Realms: Ulthuan and asking for help and oppinion HE players.

He never said he was from GW. It's a private project. Very ambitious but not official.

Crazy Harborc
05-07-2005, 19:20
Why can't GW use the old/current master molds to crank out CDs?? It would keep down the overhead costs of retooling the Chaos Dwarves.

Xxcha
05-07-2005, 19:33
Because the models are some of the worse they have ever produced, and dont fit in with the new dark backgroung of the warhammer world( with their clown like faces and all).

Voss
06-07-2005, 04:44
new dark background?
new... dark... background.
new... dark?

Eh?

When I got into the game (more years ago than I care to think about) the concept was, 'the world is doomed, everyone is going to die in painful agony anyway, but your pitiful struggles amuse the gods'

These days, races actually have hope! Prospects for the future! Chaos incursions don't even lay waste to entire regions anymore...

As for old CD models. No way.
1) I don't image the old molds are in great shape
2) the minis weren't great
3) newer GW stuff looks loads better than the older ranges.
4) the hats, man, the hats...

thecuckoo
06-07-2005, 10:35
New Dwarfs are definately needed. The current plastics are horrible. There isnt a lot wrong with the Dwarf rules, though, that just seems like the stunties are getting a bit 'me-me-me'. But anyway, a new book will mean a new uber-army. It always does.

Other plastics I'd like to see would be a rehash of the VC range. When you get down to it, the zombie sprues suck. Yeah, they're OK for converting odd bits and bobs, but for building regiments they are pants. They all suffer from contagious big-hand syndrome. One of them looks like he just got out of the bath and has a towel wrapped round him. Another looks like he used to be superman, with that cape an' all. One of the heads has toothache. There is one musician option and one standard bearer option. For a unit that is cheap and numerous, that starts to look 'samey' real quick. And I'm not a fan of the 'weapons' either. A leg! Oh, stoppit my sides are splitting with laughter. Which wag thought of that humourous jape? Oh yeah - they are difficult to rank up without making them look like they are waiting for a bus rather than waiting for a fight.

The skeleton sprues are much better, but the weapons options are a little odd. The spears are ok (but no-one really takes them) but the hand-weapons are rather confused - particularly if you are trying to build a TK unit with them.

Plastic ghouls would be nice, but I'm not sure they would sell very well. Everyone seems to pick a couple of small units and thats about it. So, if you made a regiment box, putting 16 in would appear to be overkill. Perhaps if they improved the ghoul rules a bit then people would be more inclined to take them ? (Strigoi lists could include 'proper' ghoul units, maybe?)

Some nice plastic wolves are a different story - these would be very, very useful.

Cacodemon
06-07-2005, 22:06
Yeah, what we need is new plastic sets for Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs... or wait, how about a combined set!? You could assemble them as Dwarfs OR Chaos Dwarfs. Would only need different heads, and maybe some extra gubbinz thrown in for a good measure.

Quetzl
06-07-2005, 23:00
Yeah, what we need is new plastic sets for Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs... or wait, how about a combined set!? You could assemble them as Dwarfs OR Chaos Dwarfs. Would only need different heads, and maybe some extra gubbinz thrown in for a good measure.

Its a damn good idea, and it would save tooling cost... Maybe they should do it more!

But thats probably their problem why make two armies of almost the exact same nature, is it logical?

But anywho Chaos Dwarfs would be a nice adaption some day.

Voss
07-07-2005, 04:47
No. No no no no no.

The look of these two should be *totally* different.
a) you'd be stuck with essentially the same bodies, with different heads/shields, and maybe a few bits. Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves should not be swappable. Shouldn't be mistaken for each other on the battlefield, and definitely shouldn't have so similar a look. This is just... bleh. Like bret knights, empire knights and chaos knights using the same sprue. Or ogres and minotaurs with just different heads.
Everything will start to look the same.

b) why do you want to pay extra for bits you aren't using? It'll end up like the genestealer box of 8 models for $30.

c) you end up with something ***** like the zombie/skaven/goblin command sprue.

d) cheap tricks: like well, today its a chaos dwarf army, but tomorrow I'll be facing a tzeentchian spell horde, so it'll be a dwarf army for the extra dispel dice.

Definitely not.

and finally, go tell the ancestors that you need your head shaved and a tin of orange die, since you've just committed the ultimate blasphemy against dwarven-kind.

NakedFisherman
07-07-2005, 05:09
But anyway, a new book will mean a new uber-army. It always does.

Maybe in 40K.

Voss
07-07-2005, 06:37
Or until people spend 5 minutes figuring out how to deal with it.
Ogres aren't exactly uber, for example.

As for the ghouls. Probably too specialized for plastic. And large units of skirmishers are less than useful. You can get outnumber in combat res, but generally, thats it. No standard, no ranks, so all those numbers mean exactly squat. Add in the unwieldiness to physically move... and you can see why the units ares small.

Wasn't there something stated that when they did redo the VCs they wanted to shake it up a bit so the different types of vampires have really distinct abilties and distinct army options?

As for the dwarves. the model range does need some work. More plastics and the looks need to be improved for a lot of models. The preview pic of the new wardancers vs. dwarves *really* shows the difference in quality.

Griefbringer
07-07-2005, 10:43
Some nice plastic wolves are a different story - these would be very, very useful.

Aren't the current ones nice enough? They are not really brand new sculpts, but they have survived the teeth of time quite well.

And you get them in nice boxed sets of ten, with some goblins thrown on as a nice extra.

thecuckoo
07-07-2005, 13:46
lol

Yes, thats what I did for mine. But you can choose from pose (a) Wolf trotting along with tail in the air, or (b) Wolf trotting along with tail in the air. er.. hang on...

I like (very much) the characterful doggies that come with Farmer Maggot in the LoTR blister. I've picked up some of those for use in my ZP doggie units, and I plan to spread em about a bit to give a feeling of variety and so on.

Yes, I know that they can't be played in stores and tournies, but I don't give a flying fairy cake about that.

Edit: Forgot to mention nice dogs in Mordhiem and some in Necromunda ranges too

Quetzl
07-07-2005, 20:18
I think that overall, the Vampire Counts really need story invoked into their vampire bloodlines to give their abilities some extra punch. On top of that they really need to re vitalise the vampires, maybe making a plastic kit *like the Space Marine one* which can easily be made into all of the different bloodlines, I don't know about you but it could be a simpler way to make impressive Vampires.

On top of that the VC's need an army format, and I think if that of all goes through the army would look quite impressive.

They are just to random and unorganised seeing as they are very very old...

Voss
08-07-2005, 03:54
I agree with most of what you just said, except for the plastic kit.

Since you need armored and unarmored bodies for the Dragons and Carsteins, I don't even see how you can do that, let alone stretch a single kit to cover lahmias, necarchs and strigoi.

nurglich
10-07-2005, 14:23
The carstiens and blood dragons wouldn't be so hard imo, it could be...
- 2 clothed torso (von carstein)
- 1 clothed legs (von carstein)
- 1 clothed legs mounted (von carstein)
- 2 bare heads (von carstein/blood dragon)
- 2 armoured heads (blood dragon)
- 1 extras sprue containing things such as...
Armour plates to cover clothes (making it into a blood dragon), cloaks, blood dragon shields, aromoured and un-armoured horse sprue ect. you get the idea, although i am slightly lost on the others. Maybe lahmia's could be a female head(s) and torso on the carstein/blood dragon sprue.
just a thought anyway :D

Darkness
10-07-2005, 21:28
I don't often visit the Fantasy Rumours forums much, being a 40k Rumourmonger myself, though a Studio friend of mine let slip something that "Shouldnt be posted" - and if you're reading this now... Please, don't hurt me...

Dwarfs are to be after Wood Elves. He said that Sneak Peeks would start to be shown around Christmas time. Now this seems very early to me, considering Wood Elves are still being released around October time, but that's what he let slip, and I can't argue with him to be honest... Obviously, we won't see what sort of time they are released, but he said Christmas time, so we shall have to wait and see.

However, what we do know is that Dwarfs are to be released next for Fantasy after the Wood Elves, and who knows, perhaps they will be the army to lure me towards Fantasy, though since every other army has failed so far, I'm sure that the redoing of Dwarfs will not make me budge from 40k to Fantasy at all.

Brother Frog
11-07-2005, 00:59
You're about a year late with this "Breaking news". Sorry.

Xisor
11-07-2005, 01:42
Darkness, take a read at the Dwarf army book currently. If that doesn't get you(fluff wise at anyrate) then the next release is going to have to be so brilliant, it's hard to contemplate.

I may have been exagerating slightly, but the Dwarf Army Book is a tremendously good read!

I also must confess to be fairly deep in anticipation of the Dwarfs being next. It's excellent IMO, and now knowing that I'll need to save my money for lots more 'new and shiny' dwarfs later, I don't feel half as bad at thinking about converting Dwarf Rangers out of my current bits collections(spare heads, axes, bows and accessories) + hedge terrain pieces!

Xisor

Grand Warlord
11-07-2005, 04:10
I can only hope it's something for the grand chaos dwarfs... its hard to make a chaos dwarf army with just ravening hordes... but i ll do it.... oh yes i will.. IM WARNING YA!

FOR HASHUT!

Darkness
11-07-2005, 10:54
Darkness, take a read at the Dwarf army book currently. If that doesn't get you(fluff wise at anyrate) then the next release is going to have to be so brilliant, it's hard to contemplate.

I may have been exagerating slightly, but the Dwarf Army Book is a tremendously good read!

I also must confess to be fairly deep in anticipation of the Dwarfs being next. It's excellent IMO, and now knowing that I'll need to save my money for lots more 'new and shiny' dwarfs later, I don't feel half as bad at thinking about converting Dwarf Rangers out of my current bits collections(spare heads, axes, bows and accessories) + hedge terrain pieces!

Xisor

Indeed, the models will probably make me drool all over them, as have the recent new GW releases, though I've managed to survive the Wood Elves and Ogres, so I reckon I'll be able to survive the Dwarfs. Once they get round to doing the Vampire Counts though, I'll be screwed. I like them as it is, but the models for them I just think are really quite hideous... but in a bad way :)

Neknoh
11-07-2005, 11:41
We Chaos actually needs more plastics!

We want:

Daemons
Minotaurs
Marauder Horsemen
and perhaps Knights

All of these are mainstay units of armies, yet still Metall models

Quetzl
11-07-2005, 12:25
I agree that Chaos need some re running, but they have had so much attention over a two year space that I think its time to give the other armies some opportunity.

Narandil
13-07-2005, 11:09
From those of you who have info about this stuff,
Wil dwaves have new plastic warriors?
When roughly will they have their update?

risK
13-07-2005, 12:36
Chaos needs it as much as quite a few other armies out there. BUT, like Quetzl already stated, they had quite some big featuring time

Quetzl
13-07-2005, 20:41
Of course they will get some deep revision in terms of models some time as Chaos has a great following. But I think GW's plans are armies that haven't had Battalions yet, so eventually Hordes and Beasts of Chaos will get a Battalion set, but it won't be for a while me thinks.

namarie
16-07-2005, 16:27
We Chaos actually needs more plastics!

We want:

Daemons

Hm. Which daemons? Daemonettes? Flesh hounds? Nurglins? Making four boxes, one of each Power? Wouldn't it be a little

Minotaurs

I don't agree. A lot of armies have (and need) "metal big guys". Yes, Ogres and Rat Ogres are plastic now, but I think making trolls would be better: the minis are older and they can be in another army (greens). So, you'd have plastic Chaos Ogres (Bulls) and plastic Trolls :P

Marauder Horsemen

I agree with you. There is a need for plastic horsemen, as long as they are Core and it's easy to do (in fact you only need plastic legs, 'cause bodies are on Marauder sprues and horses are plastic too).

and perhaps Knights

You can make really cool CK's with Empire Cavalry, some Chaos Warrior arms, the mutations sprue and green stuff... and it's really cheep... :P

.-: Namarie :-.

Kaptin Gavrin
21-07-2005, 00:40
Dwarfs are coming before the end of the year, according to GW's Southern region manager. And according to Phil Kelly at Games Day Atlanta, WFB 7th Edition is going to be released in 2007.

NakedFisherman
21-07-2005, 06:26
I'll try to see what's after Dwarfs at Chicago Games Day next week. Maybe they'll have Dwarf pics, too. :P

Kalanic
21-07-2005, 07:36
The armies that could use some love imo are as follows:

Dwarfs: Could use plastic minis....no real reason to have so many metal models for one army. As far as their book is concerned, I'd think this would be of lesser importance than some good models for most Dwarf generals.

VC: This is the only range of models that I rule out instantly when trying to decide on a new army...just seems to have no cohesion and the models are a bit bleh. Not necessarily #2 on the list, but something I think could be looked at.

HE: Their book could use a bit of tweaking...seems that the variety of armies created with the current list are quite limited.

Empire: Just need some models redone, their book is pretty solid overall. Get decent halbredier models! I know not many people use them..but they're supposed to be the standby (fluff-wise) state troop of Elector Counts, and their models must have been created by someone severely innebriated...the little halbreds on the tip of a pole that have to be glued on separately are just plain dumb. Their handgunners could use some love as well as an Elector Count on foot model.

Beasts of Chaos: The could use some love on the model dept as well. Dragon Ogre face are awful. Trolls should be redone, and it'd be cool to see nice chaos ogre models. Right now better option imo is to use the OK ogres and just get conversion happy.

Tinbitz
21-07-2005, 13:31
A full range dwarf army set/deal is going to be released before christmas. There has been a release list going around the 40K section with Alliance-Games' preview of the upcoming Black Templars. In the end of the list, you saw the new "big box" for Christmas release.
As GW "promissed" to make battalions for every army in Warhammer, dwarves definitely will receive new plastics (troops and warmachine).
Personally I believe the new starter kit for Warhammer with the 7th ed. will be published in 2006. Referring to 40K they published Codex Imperial Guard BEFORE 4th edition rulebook. So it seems to be realistic to do a revised army book for dwarves. They don't have any cavallry, they do not use too much magic. It should be pretty easy to involve them into revised rules?!

Quetzl
21-07-2005, 22:54
Yeah okay ermmm what about Dark Elves?

Come on these guys are just as old and tired as any Dwarfs or Empire army!

Gotreksbrother
30-07-2005, 17:29
Well maybe these should be the basic plastic boxed sets for each army:

Dwarfs: Warriors (with options for great weapons), Thunderers (with option for crossbowmen) and Warmachine pack (option for a cannon, a bolt thrower or a stone thrower).

Dark Elves: Warriors (option for crossbowmen), Dark riders, Cold One chariot, Bolt thrower.

Empire: Knights (with more options for different orders and new bigger horses like bretonnia), militia (as it is now, freecompanies and archers), State soldiers 1 (spears, swordsmen and halberds, with easier halberdier kit and new spearmen), State Soldiers 2 (handgunners and crossbowmen, with new handgunners), Warmachine (as it is now)

Vampire Counts: Skeleton warriors (as current box, but without all the skull insignias, replace these with bretonnian, empire and marauder insignia and include some dwarf, orc & goblin and marauder skeleton options), zombies (as now, but with more real weapon options and with race options like mentioned above), Creatures of the Dead (Direwolves/hounds, 12 a box with heads for both hounds and wolves).

Beasts of Chaos: Beast Herds (the current set is fine), Minotaurs (6 a box like Ogres), Hounds of Chaos (12 a Box) and the chariot.

Hordes of Chaos: Warriors (as they are now, but with great weapon and halberd options), marauders (as they are now but with more tribal variety - distinction between Hung, Norse and Kurgan if possible), Marauder Horsemen (8 a box, with distinction as shown above), Chariot.

Skaven: clanrats (with option for making slaves, more raggy look and some clan markings for moulder and skryre), night runners (current set is fine), Moulder beasts (as current set with rat ogre and giant rats), plague monks (as current set)

Orcs & Goblins: Orcs (including options for savage Orcs, like some tribal heads and fur clad bodies or the like), goblins (including options for wild goblins, with tribal heads and fur clad bodies), Night goblins (including option to make fanatics), wolf riders (like current set, but maybe loose the mongol look on them as thats more hobgoblin in nature), chariot set (option for making a goblin or an Orc chariot), warmachine set (option for stone thrower or spear chukka)

Dogs of War: Knights (8 a box, with options for different realms like estalia and tilea), Mercenaries (16 a box, infantry, option for pikes or crossbows), Mercernary cavalry (8 a box, option for arabian, tilean and other nations, light cavalry with spears/bows), Warmachine (cannon or other?)

well these are the the ones I see needed, as it should cover the Core units of most of the armies, the rest already have good minis and are covered in all their most important core options.

cheers, Paddy