PDA

View Full Version : What army do YOU want next?

Superpotts
31-08-2011, 19:51
With a lot of speculation on GW's release strategies floating around, whether they release armies that NEED an update or armies that will EARN the most money or the most POPULAR army, I thought it would interesting to see what army the community as a whole wants.

So please vote on which army YOU PERSONALLY would like released next for any reason be it for and outdated army or just your favourite. (I'm excluding the last four releases because I can only have 10 poll options, OK, TK, BM and O&G)

EDIT: Also sorry for no 'other' option.

EDIT AGAIN: When I say next I mean after the coming Ogre Kingdoms release.

Alaric Ironaxe
31-08-2011, 20:03
deffinelty dwarfs, but thats out of pure greed because i am a dwarf played and id really like some cool new stuff..esspecially something big, since it seems likly dwarfs will something big since every new army has so far....

dragonet111
31-08-2011, 20:04
Ignoring the rumors or common sense I pray for the return of Realm of Chaos.

Now I would be happy with Bretonnia.

Loopstah
31-08-2011, 20:07
Vampire Counts, they need to make skeletons and zombies a useable option, remove the Drakenhoff banner and replace it with units that can actually do stuff without it.

Haravikk
31-08-2011, 20:11
Hmm, I think that updating the more outdated armies is actually the best policy; as it gives them a chance to re-imagine older armies, particularly ones that have been less popular.

There's not much sense to just updating the popular armies, as they're already popular, especially when you could instead be pushing other armies and expanding the number of possible hooks for new players to latch onto.

Urgat
31-08-2011, 20:16
Well I play OnG and ogres... so it's got to be either WoC or Brets, my regular (well, sorta, I don't exactly play regularly anymore) opponents.

Lord Inquisitor
I personally want Ogres next.

:D

Fuzzymoldyork
I hope for Wood Elves. I always thought they were an interesting army and I'm really looking forward for their update, even though I probably won't pick them up.

Honestly though, I just want a massive wave of missing models right now. I would jump on a mangler squig and a warshrine.

Scammel
31-08-2011, 20:18
Where's the option for Ogres?

Any of Bretonnia, Wood Elves and Vampire Counts would do me, they're all pretty limited in their lists at the moment, and that's the one thing I don't like seeing. If I was pressurised into picking one, I'd say Bretonnians, simply because I think GW could really drop the ball in regards to balance when they've got an army of heavy cavalry in their hands, and I'd rather see them done now in their current state of mind than in 2 years when the power creep may well have restarted.

Slayerthane
31-08-2011, 20:21
I would say the only army that needs it is without a doubt wood elves, since they are largely unplayable in 8th as they currently stand.

Fle
31-08-2011, 20:24
I would say the only army that needs it is without a doubt wood elves, since they are largely unplayable in 8th as they currently stand.

yeah same here

Superpotts
Where's the option for Ogres?

Ogres are coming out next month.

VenomBlood
... I pray for the return of Realm of Chaos.

You are not alone. Seriously.

Imperial Stormtrooper
Wood elves most definitely need it the most, because of how poorly their army list works with 8th edition,

but I WANT Bretonnia next. :P I really like the whole 100 year war aspect of the army, both English infantry and archers, and French Knights. I think the army is interesting and very unique with how the rules work.

tmarichards
Fishmen pls kthxbai

loveless
31-08-2011, 20:25
Vampire Counts, if for no reason other than to fix the internal balance (or lack thereof).

Wood Elves and Dwarves are high up there, too (in that order, for me). The Asrai and their wooden allies are lacking some punch, and Dwarves are lacking in the model department.

Liber
31-08-2011, 20:40
its gotta be...DWARFS!

popisdead
31-08-2011, 20:42
I notice Beastmen is lacking?

El Antiguo Guardián
31-08-2011, 20:42
I like to see VC, but is impossible...
If not, empire...

rabotak
31-08-2011, 20:47
I´d vote chaos dwarfs if I could, but wood elves are also quite in need...

TsukeFox
31-08-2011, 20:53
Man i want them to white dwarf the remaining rulebook lores so that I can power up warplighting.
They can edit the doomspells while they are at it.

Tarliyn
31-08-2011, 21:01
I'd like to see wood elfs.

If I could dream up any book to be the next released it would be a book like the old generals compendium with lots of cool campaign rules, rules to play allied mixed forces, more spells, more weapons, just more cool stuff in general. I would love to use a grand alliance army of empire, high elves, and dwarfs

It would be nice to have a common set of optional rules that all players would know the name of and be able to talk about easily. Rather than each group having entirely different ways of doing things

Wesser
31-08-2011, 21:05

I dont agree. Wanna discuss?

C-Coen
31-08-2011, 21:07
Wood Elves. Just to see if GW can keep the unique playstyle while making them actually playable in 8th edition WHFB. If not, I save my money to return in some 5+ years when a new edition comes around. On the other hand, I don't feel like spending 30 euros on a rulebook and Idon'tevenwanttoknow how many on new repackaged miniatures, although the Ogre release doesn't seem too bad in terms of price rise issues. I do like the Asrai minatures already, so they might just as well release new Dwarf minis and a Wood Elf rulebook around the same time.

Confessor_Atol
31-08-2011, 21:09
FISH MEN!

or wood elves....but fish men would be my first choice.

Lordy
31-08-2011, 21:12
Would love my HE to be redone, they are so so poor now :(

Rosstifer
31-08-2011, 21:13
Warriors. Cuz I'm selfish. Although I'd be fine with them reprinting the book in Hardback and giving us tons of new models.

EmperorNorton
31-08-2011, 21:14
Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Brets. In that order, please.

Tlotsqi
31-08-2011, 21:15
Wood elves need an update to be played in 8th edition. They're not unplayable, but it's very hard to have fun with them for the moment. The army lost a lot of its soul in the new edition, and really need attention from GW.

Haravikk
31-08-2011, 21:17
I dont agree. Wanna discuss?
Why don't you agree?

I wouldn't say Wood Elves are unplayable personally, however the most competitive builds don't really support the play-style that the list was designed for, which is simply gone now, largely thanks to the new Skirmishers rule.

I'd love to see them bolstered such that they can still keep a lot of skirmishing units but play competitively, and a proper plastic treeman kit is big on my wish-list. My dream kit would be a huge one for a treeman ancient, or two smaller treemen, or four or five treekin, depending how you build it all.

At the same time, with the trend towards new stuff, I sort of dread the update as well, in case they add some kind of nonsense instead of just replacing all the metal models and fixing the list with some new twists to the gameplay.

Superpotts
31-08-2011, 21:20
I notice Beastmen is lacking?

Yeah I would have included them in the poll but I could only have 10 options so I emitted the 4 latest army books. Beastmen could do with a nice white dwarf errata for their rares though.

TheMadMarquis
31-08-2011, 21:26
Where are the Squats of Chaos?

I voted Bretonnia, selfishly, but please, please, please no footknights and no new monsters. All we need is men, steeds and steel!

(... and Devastating Charge.)

rayrod64
31-08-2011, 21:32
Dwarvesessss is the bestest army sez I

The bearded one
31-08-2011, 21:47
Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Brets. In that order, please.

Me too please!

Halelel
31-08-2011, 23:48
Halflings!

Seriously.

Come on, you all know you want them, ;)

Razuli
31-08-2011, 23:56
What!? No skaven? ;)

In all seriousness, I'd says WEs, followed by Brets, followed by Dwarves.

Okuto
01-09-2011, 00:07
why isnt dogs of war here? Would like to use my guys....sniff lol

Though I voted for Brets even though woodies are more deserving

Skywave
01-09-2011, 02:51
Logically I would choose those;

Wood Elf (most needed in term of rules)
Vampire (second most needed to balance them/make them work properly)
Dwarfs (please give them some models, the range is quite hideous)
Bretonnia (from memory it's the oldest book still running?)

But I'm as logical as GW, so I voted Dark Elves. I don't play them, and I don't want to start them (don't need a fourth army really). But I would definitly be in line to buy a few kit of (good looking) plastic Witches Elves! While I don't want a full army, I could totally see me getting a small 500-1000pts Khainite force :)

Tarian
01-09-2011, 02:59
Selfishly, High Elves, 'cause they're my main army, and hopefully they'll kill SoA so people stop complaining about it.

Realistically: Wood Elves -> Brettonia -> Vampire Counts

Beastlord Karankawa
01-09-2011, 03:00
Beastmen - to adjust point values if nothing else
Skaven - also to adjust point values (in the other direction)
Dark Elfs - to remove certain items / abilities and "repoint" a particular rare

WarmbloodedLizard
01-09-2011, 03:42
NOT woodelves, for sure. I don't want gw to kill them.

crartist24
01-09-2011, 03:52
I think the next release shot be a mass one and just update all the armies at once that are in dire need. Empire, bret, wood elfs, undead, and make only the small improvments needed for the remaining armies in a white dwarf special not all armies need new books.

crartist24
01-09-2011, 03:53
*should not shot

herohammer
01-09-2011, 04:06
Beastmen - to adjust point values if nothing else
Skaven - also to adjust point values (in the other direction)
Dark Elfs - to remove certain items / abilities and "repoint" a particular rare
Beastmen are a pretty balanced book with a couple of grossly overcosted units. I wouldn't be surprised if they just did new rules for the ghorgon and cygor and messed around with lore of the wild in an issue of WD (like the wraiths, banshee, and terrorgheist for VC)

Skaven need more than pt value changes to be fixed. If slaves aren't dirt cheap they arent slaves...they need rules changes like no steadfast on slaves or a lot of cost changes like250pts for wheel 250+pts HPA to start. The vermin lord, rat swarms, and night runners on the other hand cost too much.

Dark elves will have pendant and ring nerfed come the next book...maybe ring to 70pts so you can't run crown on the same guy and ring of Hohoho go to 40ish pts. Hydra will go to the same cost as SOM just like how ogre yhetees went down.

Wood elves need an army-wide rework.
Dwarves need lots of new models.
VC need better internal balance.

AlphariusOmegon20
01-09-2011, 04:11
TBH, I'm thinking of re-starting a Middenheim Empire army after I finish the 3 armies I'm currently working on now.

Good thing I kept all the Middenheim specific stuff when I got rid of the Empire.

someone2040
01-09-2011, 04:23
Wood Elves definately come to mind as the first pick. Just because they could fix the rules and give some neat plastic kits in one swoop.
After that would be Dwarves. They could be a really popular army I think, but they need to change some of those metal infantry figures into plastic.

Now, I would really like to see Dogs of War to return as an army. But I don't think 'next' is the correct timing to do it. I think after finishing up the 6th ed books, fixing Vampire Counts and Daemons, Dogs of War as a return army would make a good impression in the 2nd half of the 8th edition army books (i.e you've fixed the glaring issues, so time to do something -kinda- new).

djpringle
01-09-2011, 05:42
Dwarves for me, just as an excuse to redo the figure ranges.

StraiCat
01-09-2011, 06:06
I voted Dwarfs. They need new minis, new units and new rules. :)

Jack of Blades
01-09-2011, 11:20
1. Wood Elves. They are the least functional ones by the spirit of the army's fluff.
2. Vampire Counts. They're nowadays a boring army that plays nothing like Undead are envisioned to play and don't just have a lack of internal balance, they don't have any.

I don't list Bretonnia or Dwarfs because those armies will remain much like they are now even after they're updated, they don't need it as much as WE & VC. Dwarfs could even get by with a new wave of models for now and have their book updated later, to give room for books that need it more urgently. Beastmen need a WD article to fix their rares but that's not at all likely to happen as they had the opportunity to fix them in SoM but barely reduced their point costs...

I would've listed WoC & DoC (for the same reasons as VC, but less urgently needed) as well but with Tamurkhan incoming to mend the wounds done by splitting Chaos up and adding new stuff too, these books should be improved enough to be pretty enjoyable despite the ugly stuff.

Scythe
01-09-2011, 12:33
Well, as I have a Wood Elf army lying around, those would be my first choice. The VC army I have is also not that fun though. VCs definitely need something to make staple core units of skeletons and zombies worthwhile. The White Dwarf update would have been an excellent opportunity for that, but unfortunately no such luck...

Nubl0
01-09-2011, 12:38
Fishmen, dwarfs, bretts then woodies for mee!

Stormtrooper Clark
01-09-2011, 14:46
Bretonnians are the oldest book now aren't they? (Definetly older than Wood Elves). Wood Elves may need it more... but being bias towards Bretonnians I am inclined to vote for them.

IcedCrow
01-09-2011, 14:46
Wood elves. Brets may be older but wood elves really need the update to get them back in a position where they can play again moreso than the Brets, who while not super strong are not unplayable.

nightgant98c
01-09-2011, 14:59
I think Wood elves should be next, because they seem most in need of an update. However, I voted Daemons, since it's the only army I play.

goinggreen
01-09-2011, 16:55
I voted Wood Elves, they need their Magic updated desperately. The model range could also use a fresh kit or two IMO, armies that weigh 10 lbs aren't much fun to carry. Although Dwarves and Bretonia are not far behind in that regard.

Dwarves need more variety, their build is usually the same.

Von Wibble
01-09-2011, 18:41
1st choice wood elves, to make them more competitive with a skirmish style MSU army (or at least MMU).

2nd choice Dwarfs - to nerf gunlines a little and give the army some options so they can be more interesting with manouvre (obviously M3 still though). Hate facing them and would never want to take them at the moment because they are boring - needs fixnig.

3rd choice Vampire counts - just played them today with my Tomb Kings and my 4 points skeletons against his identical (OK, so they can march...) 8pt skeletons.

4th choice High Elves - lets just lose SOA and make the units a fairer price to account for it, and make the core decent.

5th choice Brets - a bit like Dwarfs, they need another dimension to their army.

UberBeast
01-09-2011, 19:25
I really want to see Bretonnians get a new book, but I'm not very optimistic about the direction GW will go with this army. They really don't need giant monsters like many of the new army books seem to be getting, but they could really use some new plastic kits and a revamp of their infantry (halberds with pavis shields just isn't that cool).

Wood elves could use a new book, but their model range is impecable.

The Satyr
01-09-2011, 19:27
I'm interested in what they can do for Brets and Wood elves, couldn't care less about dwarfs.

loveless
01-09-2011, 19:34
a revamp of their infantry (halberds with pavis shields just isn't that cool).

I disagree. Bretonnia has some of the best plastic core infantry in Fantasy. Frankly, I'm not looking forward to them becoming 10 for $25 box sets...

Balerion
01-09-2011, 19:43
After that would be Dwarves. They could be a really popular army I think, but they need to change some of those metal infantry figures into plastic.

Aren't they one of the most popular already? I kind of see them as the closest thing WFB has to Space Marines (cumulatively accounting for everything from popularity to fighting style to ease of painting), which is the reason that I think they might get redone before WE or Bretts, who both deserve it sooner.

My ideal release progression would be WE --> Bretts --> Dwarfs, but only because I'm biased as a WE player. Bretts --> WE --> Dwarfs would also be fair. But my guts tell me GW are going to favour the Dwarven money machine, while lazily piecing together what needs to change to fix the WE army, and it will actually be Dwarfs --> Bretts --> WE.

Wood elves could use a new book, but their model range is impecable.
You lie!

Deff Mekz
01-09-2011, 19:47
I really want to see Brets and Wood Elves done as I don't like to see any army neglected. However, Harry has said that he has heard nothing on those for the near future, and that he has heard about Empire, Dwarves and more VC in the pipeline. (the last one makes me happy though :) )

AlphariusOmegon20
02-09-2011, 03:37
Aren't they one of the most popular already? I kind of see them as the closest thing WFB has to Space Marines (cumulatively accounting for everything from popularity to fighting style to ease of painting), which is the reason that I think they might get redone before WE or Bretts, who both deserve it sooner.

My ideal release progression would be WE --> Bretts --> Dwarfs, but only because I'm biased as a WE player. Bretts --> WE --> Dwarfs would also be fair. But my guts tell me GW are going to favour the Dwarven money machine, while lazily piecing together what needs to change to fix the WE army, and it will actually be Dwarfs --> Bretts --> WE.

You lie!

TBH, I see HE becoming the Fantasy equivalent to SM in 40K.

Deff Mekz
02-09-2011, 08:30
If they get new core they will. :shifty:

Deff