PDA

View Full Version : Help with a small WoC army

Ekamdu
01-09-2011, 00:01
Hi there,

I've played a couple of games with some friends (vamp counts and dark elves and wood elves), somewhere between 5 and 15 games played, but i keep losing every game.

We usually do 1v1v1 or 2v2 or whatever, around 1000 points, but this will probably change to 1500 points since we're all expanding. By the way we play 7th edition, havent changed into 8th yet

My usual setup is:

Warriors unit (10-15 warriors) with an exalted hero or sorc lv2 in it
1 Unit of knights
Exalted hero on juggernaut or extra sorc
2 warhound screens

I'm having most trouble with my friend who plays vampire counts. He almost always uses this setup

2 big zombie regiments
2 necromancers (which he uses to create new units and regen old ones)
1 unit of either blood knights or black knights, with a vampire in it

sometimes he adds a giant, instead of necro's
I cant seem to kill the necromancers, since he positions them very smart behind his zombie blocks
His blood or black knights have been able to kill my chaos knights every single time, often because he gets the charge and i dont (spawning zombies in front of me or whatever >.<)

Anyway, I feel its time to add something to my army, buy a couple of new models, and I would like them to be effective against this annoying zombie army.

I'm thinking about

Shaggoth (cool model, reliable, could kill blood/black knights?)
Giant (rather not, since my friend has one)
Trolls (expensive models, will probably not do this, seems to be cool though)
Marauders

Thanks in advance!

Ekamdu
02-09-2011, 14:20
I'm still in need of help!

popisdead
02-09-2011, 20:08
Hi,

I think this is generally not a tactics thread which is why people may have skipped answering it.

The second notion is you play 7th ed. Not many people are in 7th ed mode here so that is another reason people are not suggesting things. Mostly because 8th ed is drastically better.

However things that are good are: Black Tongue and Infernal Puppet.

Chaos Trolls (and Throgg) are amazing. You can always use River Trolls as a counts-as.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greavious_Bodily_Harm
02-09-2011, 20:51
I'm going with model count. I have 35 marauders 11 warriors 5 knights 10 warhounds and a hero in my 1k pt army

Ekamdu
05-09-2011, 10:06
@popisdead
Ah, should I have posted this in army list section then? My apologies.

I dont really have the money to switch to 8th yet, rulebook is expensive, and since none of the players who I play with are playing 8th there isnt a lot of need to switch fast.

I know of Infernal puppet, since both my friends often use 2-3 sorcerers it's very usefull. I havent read about Black Tongue yet though, I'll look it up soon.

I love the idea of chaos trolls, and I like your tip about River Trolls, they could be easily converted to a bit more chaos-like trolls.

@Greavious
I was thinking of something like that. I'm using pretty much what you are using right now, but with a sorc instead of those marauders.

Anyway thanks a lot, I think I'll just have to choose between a core of marauders or trolls, both of which could be fun.

Liber
05-09-2011, 10:32
By the way we play 7th edition, havent changed into 8th yet

any particular reason for this?

if its the price of the rulebook thats holding you guys back, you could probably find very very cheap copies of the mini rulebook from the island of blood boxed set on Ebay.

EDIT: I just found a seller for $28 (which is a little high, if you want you could wait for a slightly better deal to pop up) http://www.ebay.com/itm/8th-Edition-Rulebook-Mini-Softcover-Warhammer-Fantasy-/120771592286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e8c405e

Ekamdu
05-09-2011, 16:51
Yeah we've got 7th rulebooks (the little ones) from skull pass sets. We'd all like to change to 8th pretty soon i think, but the big rulebook is rather expensive.

Also, we dont know if we're gonna keep playing when school starts again, we might get too busy. What exactly is the difference between the big and small rulebook? Is there like a lot of lore in the big one? or more information and better explanations, because we're all not extremely experienced players so the bigger rulebook might be a better choice...

OldMaster
05-09-2011, 17:36
The big rulebook has hobby, lore and scenarios and pictures of pretty models and a lot more on top of the rules.
The little one has ONLY rules.

How do you load out your warriors? If you want something specifically targetting Zombies, just give them additional hand weapons and make them Khorne - they will butcher through the bitches like air.

You play 7th? And your opponent is hiding Necromances behind masses of zombies? Excellent, that means an exalted hero/sorcerer of Tzeentch on Disc can fly 15" behind the enemy lines and scream him to death with your Bloodcurdling Roar. Also appilicable to Blood Knights.
Naked Marauder Horsemen with throwing axes and Mark of Slaanesh will also work in sniping Necromancers.
In general, you should be able to outflank him - it's not that his units are any faster, sure Van Hels hurts sometimes but you can counter magic by bringing magic.

nzkoston
05-09-2011, 20:43
maybe an exalted hero of Tzeentch on a disc? if the Necromancers are standing solo behind the blocks you could fly/charge over the blocks to hunt his Necromancers.

Lore of Nurgles #1 spell is great for character sniping.

Black Tongue as mentioned above can be amazing combined with Infernal Puppet. I would also mention the Feedback scroll but i think that might just be in 8th ed. BRB.

Liber
06-09-2011, 00:18
Yeah we've got 7th rulebooks (the little ones) from skull pass sets. We'd all like to change to 8th pretty soon i think, but the big rulebook is rather expensive.

Also, we dont know if we're gonna keep playing when school starts again, we might get too busy. What exactly is the difference between the big and small rulebook? Is there like a lot of lore in the big one? or more information and better explanations, because we're all not extremely experienced players so the bigger rulebook might be a better choice...

the small 8th from island of blood is just like the small 7th from the skull pass set.

the only difference between it and the big one is it doesn't have all the pretty pictures and lengthy army descriptions - which are nice to have but not at all needed for gaming -

all the rules are their, just like they are printed in the big expensive book.

as i said, you can get them on ebay for cheap, you and your buddys should each chip in like 5 bucks and give 8th a try (you could still do this next summer if you decide not to play during the school year)