PDA

View Full Version : Who lives on the northern edge of the galaxy?

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-03-2005, 13:56
The title speaks for itself.

No one says Orks, they're everywhere.

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:58
i think the Hrud have migrated from there as it hasn't really been covered in any great depth

malika
20-03-2005, 13:59
Those where the Halo Stars or something right? The place Marcharius couldnt really reach since the Astropaths couldnt couldnt control the warp there or something like that. There was also something on Ghosts being on those worlds there.

IIRC that was also the location of the Necron Homeworlds, but Im not sure on that one. Could fit in with the Ghost thing, or is it another kind of xenos???

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-03-2005, 14:02
i think the Hrud have migrated from there as it hasn't really been covered in any great depth

Is that migrated TO or FROM?

And the Ghost stars are beyond the northern rim.

boogle
20-03-2005, 14:04
from there

aren't the Necron Homwrods scattered all over the galaxy (they are classed as Tomb Worlds for the most part)

malika
20-03-2005, 14:06
And the Ghost stars are beyond the northern rim.

Isnt that also what you want to know?

aren't the Necron Homeworlds scattered all over the galaxy (they are classed as Tomb Worlds for the most part)

The Necrontyr must have had a world from where they started from, that world near that nasty star which killed them so quickly.

boogle
20-03-2005, 14:10
not necessarily as they started out as humanesque

malika
20-03-2005, 14:13
Read the Necronfluff, the Necrontyr came from a planet which was effected by radiation from their sun which caused the Necrontyr to die at a young age.

Hence that is their world of origin, later on they moved across the galaxy.

boogle
20-03-2005, 14:15
that would suggest that there aren't that many Necrons in the Universe, so they can't be that big a threat is that was the case

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-03-2005, 14:16
Yah, but who lives there NOW?

malika
20-03-2005, 14:17
Perhaps those "ghosts" or Necrons, probably also Hrud and Orks. Perhaps also humans from the Dark Age Of Technology. I always liked the idea of an independant human empire who are not part of the Imperium.

Somebody on the old EldarOnline created something which he called the Halo Commonwealth or something in those lines, it was basicly a small human empire in the north of the galaxy, high tech, not as dogmatic and xenophobic as the Imperium.

notdakuningist
20-03-2005, 14:18
In the third edition rulebook, when they spoke of the journeys of macharius they mentioned all sorts of xenos, anything from spider limbed tree dwellers to mutants that harnessed high technology. I'm not sure if any major race specifically dwells there though.

boogle
20-03-2005, 14:19
quite few Rogue Traders have been there and know, but won't say (although there is one in the Eisenhorn trilogy who does give a little away)

malika
20-03-2005, 14:19
that would suggest that there aren't that many Necrons in the Universe, so they can't be that big a threat is that was the case

why does that suggest that? The Necrontyr moved away and spread across the galaxy later on, very possible right? I mean humanity right now is only on Earth and not on every other world in the Galaxy, but in the world of 40k they expanded in the years. Remember that things can change in time and not remain the same forever as the Imperium is now :rolleyes:

Sojourner
20-03-2005, 14:37
Incidentally, Macharius' conquest went west, not north.

There's a Demiurg fleet for BFG which is staged pretty far north, so they could make an appearance, though I could be wrong.

malika
20-03-2005, 14:44
I thought they went northwest...but I might be wrong here

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-03-2005, 14:44
So, a load of animals, no major races apart from Orks and some Demiurg kicking about?

malika
20-03-2005, 14:46
Probably also an Eldar Craftworld or Exodite worlds...

GW hasnt that much info on that part of the galaxy I think...so it's still an open thing to explore for fans...

Xisor
20-03-2005, 15:42
IIRC, the galactic north is well settled by the Imperium, the North West is at any rate due to the location of the EoT, it *has* to be.

As for the 'solid' north above the Cradle, mostly it'll be Imperial Worlds of the Segmentum Obscurus. Aliens noted to live in the north as far as i recall are specifically the Xen'arc. They are mentioned in the weapons section of the Inquisitor Rulebook.

As for other races, the main ones will have a presence.

Tyranids- In the form of vanguard fleets and Genestealers will almost certainly be there in 'some' amount.
Orks- Almost as common as Imperials IMO, plenty of them but still disjoint and unorganised.
Necron Worlds- Almost a certainty but their actions and power in comparison to how much there actually 'is' there will be small, they are still awakening/
Eldar Craftworlds- Don't recall any specifically off hand, but i'm more than sure there'll be at minimum one.
Eldar Exodites- In the northeast is more likely(distance from the Eye, from the Imperium etc), so there may be a few.

Demiurg, Hrud and Tarellians on the other hand is a very peculiar matter. The Demiurg fluff places them as almost entirely found in either the Galactic Far East or within the Galactic Cradle(ie the Centre of the Galaxy). Explanations for this are al very interesting, but nothing is concrete as GW hasn't actually specified *anything* on it. Hrud are implied to be an almost 'subclass' of the Galaxy, found everywhere, pests to everyone etc, but again this could simply be fallout from the more obvious skaven connection. As it is, no-one has properly concrete fluff on the Hrud that is useful at this point.

Also, the tarellians are indicated to be eastern again, as evidenced by their presence in Kill Team, but it also indicates that they are a scattered 'ruined' race, so it's equally plausible IMO that they could be found there too.

As for the rest, I can't think off hand.

Xisor

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-03-2005, 16:03
I need to know because I'm designing a new species and I need a place for them to come in. I can't do east because of the Tyranids there, South is where Ultramar is and that would interfer too much with the fluff, west is where the imperium is and that would interfer too much with the places over there, so only North is left really.

So, would it be possible to have my aliens come down from the north and bomb some 'Nid, Ork and Imperial worlds to claim as their own?

malika
20-03-2005, 16:15
Well tell us a bit about your aliens. :)

Robot 2000
21-03-2005, 00:55
I believe the Maelstrom warp storm is 'oop north' which is where the red corsairs traitor (not chaos iirc) marines are to be found

olbivion
21-03-2005, 10:51
according to rt: the slaan

charlie_c67
21-03-2005, 11:29
I believe the Maelstrom warp storm is 'oop north' which is where the red corsairs traitor (not chaos iirc) marines are to be found
Sorta, it's quite near the mass of the galatic core if I'm remembering the right area. It's in the 40k rulebook.

Alekenisis
21-03-2005, 15:49
I agree with Xizor that the Imperium has colonised the north fairly extensively. Obviously, the north-eastern segment is more sparsly populated than the western areas (and has a preponderance of Ork worlds, IIRC), but the Imperium's got quite a lot of worlds up there (including Dimmar, or something along those lines - the homeworld of Sebastian Thor).

Posted by TheSonOfAbbadon
I need to know because I'm designing a new species and I need a place for them to come in. I can't do east because of the Tyranids there, South is where Ultramar is and that would interfer too much with the fluff, west is where the imperium is and that would interfer too much with the places over there, so only North is left really.

So, would it be possible to have my aliens come down from the north and bomb some 'Nid, Ork and Imperial worlds to claim as their own?
Of course it's possible. Heck, it's 'possible' to have an alien civilisation come from literally anywhere in the Galaxy without it effecting the fluff too much - it's a damn big place, and even the empire we know the most about (the Imperium) has actually charted only a miniscule amount of it. Whole systems lie undiscovered between other, inhabited systems.

But more specifically, most definately. While the Imperium has a strong presence in the north, this is no bar to your attempting to place your own alien species there.

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-03-2005, 21:40
Yay, the Anakons can bomb some worlds after all!

If anyone wants to know more about the aliens [Anakons] I'll be posting some background and their codex [or what I've done of it] soon, hopefully.

Reabe
22-03-2005, 23:56
Aren't the Ultramarines in the east?

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-03-2005, 00:13
Well, Ultramar is kinda southeast and streches across to midsouth.

They're definitely defending the east from 'Nids.

zealousheretic
05-04-2005, 04:02
I'll second Alekensis' comment: the imperium is not a contiguous empire; it doesn't control all of the territory within it's "borders" as such.

A new race could pop up virtually anywhere. Aside from the areas the Tyranids have eaten, anywhere's fair game.

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2005, 04:57
I'll second Alekensis' comment: the imperium is not a contiguous empire; it doesn't control all of the territory within it's "borders" as such.
The Imperium has no borders. It's a feudal system of worlds tied together by faith in the almighty Emperor and a fear of isolation. All of them report to the Adeptus Terra, and are protected by it, but to say the Imperium has borders, when the warp, the realm of Chaos, also inhabits the same "space" as the Imperium itself, is a rather fool hardy presumption to make.

An alien race could be created anywhere. Space itself could even spawn a race, an ancient statis orb in deep space, where no one would find it, from days between the Enslaver Plague and the real rise of the Eldar. Who knows?

The 40k Galaxy, and the galaxy in general, is almost limitless of possibility. People asked where the Tau could come from, yet they fit quite seamlessly into the fluff now. Just goes to show.

Karhedron
05-04-2005, 09:56
according to rt: the slaan
Yup, the remaining worlds of the Slaan are located in the Galactic north.

salty
05-04-2005, 11:21
@ SonOfAbaddon - Someone I know "created" a Slaan like race for my site, and they are situated in the South West region of the Galaxy, on the edge of the Imperium. I can post a map thing if you want.

Salty :)

malika
05-04-2005, 12:56
Yup, the remaining worlds of the Slaan are located in the Galactic north.

That could be interesting, some Slann and their servants up there, hiding from everybody since they are afraid that the Necrons would find them.

Karhedron
05-04-2005, 14:12
That could be interesting, some Slann and their servants up there, hiding from everybody since they are afraid that the Necrons would find them.
Actually they need to worry almost as much about their own creations. There is a bit of fluff that mentions the Eldar using the few remaining OO/Slaan as bait for the Necrons.

malika
05-04-2005, 15:23
Are the Old Ones the same as the Slaan/Slann (which one is it actually?) or are they different species like in WFB?

But being hunted down by everybody sounds pretty cool, so they are hiding and pretty weak, I mean if the Eldar manage to capture them to use them as bait. But wouldnt the Slaan/Slann also want to fight the Necrons and the C'tan masters? Perhaps a Slann leading an Eldar force or something?