PDA

View Full Version : Oh Eldar

teheuax
01-09-2011, 06:03
They make it so hard to choose with the Eldar. I like both the Eldar and Dark Eldar models, both so good. But I prefer the craftworld vehicles. Im trying to decide on my next army project after a two adventures into orks and daemons. I bought the Eldar battleforce before in the past, some how over the years it was lost in the warp. Not that I would want to buy that again though. Too many guardians not enough Dire Avengers. So Im just asking what would you choose, based off models of course.

Tarian
01-09-2011, 06:07
I'd field all Wraithguard with the Wraithseer from Forge World. That is a pretty model.

EDIT: And Wraithlords, of course.

Mage
01-09-2011, 06:07
The new range of Dark Eldar models are very nice, and it has a good competitive codex. On the other hand, I collect both Eldar armies.

In one of the new forge world books that is soon to be released there is a list for eldar pirates where you can mix some craftworld and some Dark Eldar stuff, but i am not sure of the speifics.

teheuax
01-09-2011, 06:16
Yes the Eldar corsair kit is the only reason I would get the Eldar battleforce again. They look nice enough where I can tolerate guardians being a little weak.

spurker
01-09-2011, 06:48
I couldn't decide, and so went with CSM, go figure. I have now started Dark Eldar because the new models are awesome. Faces are actually good on the models I've seen (cf space marine scouts)

teheuax
01-09-2011, 07:00
Im not a fan of the wych heads. They are a little too manly for my tastes.

spurker
01-09-2011, 07:04
true, they are a bit manly for a mainly female unit!

teheuax
01-09-2011, 07:09
True true. If I got the dark eldar battleforce though, I would just change it around so my wychs are mostly men and my warriors are mostly female. Then I dont have to worry about manly females. Now if I could help the iffiness on the vehicles, I could go for Dark Eldar.

Ivellis
01-09-2011, 07:12
Get both like I decided to until the embargo stopped my buying. They make a nice contrast so I didn't get bored of assembly/painting.

teheuax
01-09-2011, 07:14
A very valid suggestion

Ivellis
01-09-2011, 07:33
It will take a little longer to get a full army of either if the budget is tight, but it feels really satisfying and really helps you paint faster. I almost never start a single new army, I go in pairs and love it. Alternating painting armies in my opinion is the secret to getting even one fully painted army.

eldargal
01-09-2011, 07:38
Both. Craftworld Eldar will always be my favourite but the Dark Eldar range is superb. I don't think I've ever bought an Eldar battleforce, I've bought a few of the DE battleforces though.

Edit: I find that if I get sick of painting Craftworld Eldar, Ican go paint Dark Eldar. Then I get sick of painting them and want to paint Craftworld Eldar. It's really helpful.

teheuax
01-09-2011, 07:38
Hmm. Going in pairs would be a great idea. Would help with my problem of never being able to choose a army

Ivellis
01-09-2011, 08:03
@Eldargal: Glad to see someone else that loves Eldar as much as I do. Would you, like me, buy exodite or harlequin armies in a heartbeat?

eldargal
01-09-2011, 08:06
Well on principle I will buy whatever Eldar offerings GW come up with, but I'm more of a Craftworld girl than an Exodite girl. Having said that I'm sure I could fit in an Exodite force to guard one of my Craftworlds Maiden Worlds.:) And Harlequins are always welcome.

Incidentally I've heard there will be an Exodite element to the next CWE release.

Shamana
01-09-2011, 08:07
true, they are a bit manly for a mainly female unit!

It's the stero... combat drugs, sorry :p . Still,

Yes, at present craftworld eldar aren't exactly in the best of shape, and imo can use a codex at least as much as Black Templars or CSMs (though less than Necrons or Tau, who really need it). Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anything coming in the next year or so. Forgeworld's IA 11 will apparently have some Eldar goodies, though - I'd like to see how it will change "guardians" for a corsair force, and if the rules don't change too much wasps and hornets will become very useful additions to the army list.

Dark eldar, though? They are lean and mean, as they were meant to be. I'm a bit surprised how easy FnP is for them (I'd expect FC to come first), but perhaps it was deemed necessary.

teheuax
01-09-2011, 08:11
Well if I had to guess by the models, I would say that the corsairs will be some type of jump infantry with more heavy weapons.

Ivellis
01-09-2011, 08:14
Incidentally I've heard there will be an Exodite element to the next CWE release.

I'd love me some exodites. Was that a rumour on here or something you heard yourself?

eldargal
01-09-2011, 08:22
It was a rumour I heard in a private conversation with a Warseer reliable rumourmonger. I'm not sure if he mentioned it on the forum or not.

Shamana
01-09-2011, 08:24
I'm hoping for more (and updated) harlequins, personally. Then again, I'd say you could run a pretty decent harlie list with dark eldar - a wych-cult list would cover most of the bases - but I'd like to see more of the Psycho Circus themselves.

Ivellis
01-09-2011, 08:25
Interesting, well here is to hoping! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Also agree with Shamana on more Harlequins.

Adramalech
01-09-2011, 08:50
If you prefer the craftworld eldar vehicles, go with craftworld eldar. Transports are a must-have for a Dark eldar army and if they don't quite fit your aesthetic, you might be quite displeased.

N3p3nth3
02-09-2011, 08:39
Well on principle I will buy whatever Eldar offerings GW come up with, but I'm more of a Craftworld girl than an Exodite girl. Having said that I'm sure I could fit in an Exodite force to guard one of my Craftworlds Maiden Worlds.:) And Harlequins are always welcome.

We've been hearing that rumor since, what, the beginning of the third edition... But I hope it's true, this time. :)

Sildani
02-09-2011, 13:21
It was a rumour I heard in a private conversation with a Warseer reliable rumourmonger. I'm not sure if he mentioned it on the forum or not.

Nope, that's the first I've heard of it. I don't know how I feel about it, either. Great battle scene involving them in Path of the Seer, but I just don't know how I'd feel about seeing a dino-riding Wood Elf alongside my Wave Serpents. Might be jarring.

If you don't mind my asking, Eldargal, how certain was your source? Might indicate that the Eldar are in the fabled two-year development window already.

eldargal
02-09-2011, 13:25
He said that they would be a unit, whether he mean't rules in the codex and a kit or just rules I don't know. As always, believe it when you see it.:)

Well you could say they are Exodite auxillaries sent to help, or you're fighting on a maiden/exodite world, it wouldn't be too hard. But yes it is a bit jarring, I have enough trouble fielding Outcasts in my Craftworld army.:)

DarkMark
02-09-2011, 14:15
I'm hoping for more (and updated) harlequins, personally. Then again, I'd say you could run a pretty decent harlie list with dark eldar - a wych-cult list would cover most of the bases - but I'd like to see more of the Psycho Circus themselves.

Like these?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284691

OP: Go with the DE for now, and pick up Eldar bits as you like as a side project.

Rywhandar
02-09-2011, 15:07
I agree with the point of starting two armies. :)

Just started a DE army, and has a HE army for fantasy on the side. Going to be a lot of painting the next months. :p

I started DE because I find their vehicles more pleasing to look at (Razorwing), as the rest of the new range.

But it's all up to what you like best, if not you'll get tired of painting models you can't stand.

teheuax
03-09-2011, 06:07
I was at my game store today and decided on Dark Eldar. The warriors certainly go together easier then those darn bloodletters

Tarian
03-09-2011, 06:11
I picked up Dark Eldar for my Necromunda team. They're preeeeeeeetty...

spurker
03-09-2011, 07:12
I picked up Dark Eldar for my Necromunda team. They're preeeeeeeetty...

Me too! I mean picking up dark eldar for my necromunda team, not the pretty part... :shifty:

teheuax
03-09-2011, 07:42
They are pretty purty in the artwork and with helmets on