PDA

View Full Version : Doom Divers base size

Tayrod
01-09-2011, 18:55
Hey, I recently got some doom diver bits, and with a bit of conversion, Im building my own slingshot. Since I dont have all the parts for the real model, it's kinda hard to figure out if it hits or not based on the base of the real model (which I do not own). My question is thus:

When the O&G book says "if any models are touched by the DDs base, then each much take D6 Hits (...)" What base size do they mean? Is it a flying base, a 20mm base, or something else entirely? Assuming it is a flying base, does anyone know how big it is? 3 inches?

EDIT: Bonus (unrelated) question!
I heard somewhere that the Skaven screaming bell automatically fails LD tests, can someone comfirm this? (and give me a page reference?)

Blkc57
01-09-2011, 19:22
I tend to use the average base of one of my goblins for the diver so 20mm square is the template size for what is hit. And I don't think its models hit but units that are hit by the doom diver, thus if you hit a unit of knights the unit takes d6 str 5 hits, not the single model you contacted. If you want the Catapult base size itself I tend to put them on a chariot base, but technically I don't think artillery needs a base anymore, simply beacuse they have no facing and any unit that contacts them simply scrums over the top of the machine.

For the Screaming Bell, what you heard takes into account the fact that the ld value of the bell is "-" which according to GW is zero as they pointed out in the FAQ for Skaven on their website. A stat line of zero means that you will auto fail any test that invloves that statistic, ( I can't remember what page that was). But remember that the bell usually has a Grey seer ontop and his LD value is 7 and can most of the time use his ld value if he is still alive on it.

Tayrod
01-09-2011, 19:41
Hmm, I think I formulated my question rather poorly, here's what I meant:

As far as I know, the original doom diver box set comes with
1) a slingshot
2) 3 crew
3) one mid-air flying doom-diver-goblin

Question 1)
What base does the doom diver goblin get delivered with?
is it a) A 20 mm base
or b) a flying base

I've seen alot of people mounting him on a flying base, and Im wondering if that is allowed. Since the flying base is bigger then the standard 20mm base, you have a greater chanse to hit, and thus a greater chanse to inflict those D6 Hits.

question 2
If he's delivered on a flying base (see question 1), how big is it? I dont have any flying bases, so I need to make a proxy.

@ Blck57: Thanks for the fast and good reply, as for the Screaming bell, I was thinking of having a goblin lord (60 points) armed with the skull helm thing (O&G enchanted item) on a wolf, charging it, the item makes the bell take a LD test on *unmodified* LD or die. SO I was thinking this is a good way to autokill a Screaming bell

Scalebug
01-09-2011, 19:56
Always go by the rules pointing at the currently available models, and if you are using alternatives, like older models, scratchbuilds, other manufacturers, "counts as" or proxies, or whatever, you will for rules purposes assume it is in all regards of the dimension of the "official" model.

So, small flying base for the fanatic marker, 30mm diameter (or if it is 32?).

(And, not at you Tayrod, but the ineviatable...
Cue the dumb whines about how GW wants to sell new models and steal our moneys...:rolleyes:)

Grimgormx
06-09-2011, 00:10
Current dom diver flying gobo comes with a flying (transparent and round) base, dont have it at hand but is biger than 1 inch, I know because I was able to hit 2 enemy units in 1 shoot, doing 1D6 to each

BEEGfrog
06-09-2011, 00:37
But rules say base model was supplied with...

...and some of my stuff is old, e.g. metal giant on 40mm base.

And some stuff wasn't supplied with bases e.g. old metal sallies!

Scalebug
06-09-2011, 01:09
Why do the 40mm giants always come up? Are people honestly not getting what is wrong with that interpretation of "Base they come with"? Really?

Original Doomdiver had no model to be used for determining hits with under the current rules, so if you glued your model together (sling and "ammo") you are out of luck, you will do no damage.... :p

BEEGfrog
06-09-2011, 01:11
Ok then, what size should my mangler squigs use?

Scalebug
06-09-2011, 09:21
We wont know 'til they are released... 40 or 60mm round base is what people are betting on, and seems to be using for now.

Avian
06-09-2011, 09:34
question 2
If he's delivered on a flying base (see question 1), how big is it? I dont have any flying bases, so I need to make a proxy.

It came with the large, round flying base, which is 60 mm in diameter. Mine is still on it, having spent most of the last 13 years in my display cabinet or on a shelf. Now he gets to play with the rest of the army. :)
(Mounting it on a small infantry base wouldn't work, it would just keep tipping over.)

I have also mounted my Mangler Squigs conversion on a 60 mm round base, which works quite well.

Maccwar
06-09-2011, 09:47
It came with the large, round flying base, which is 60 mm in diameter.

Seriously? Mine was supplied with a small flying base roughly 1" across.

Has anyone bought this kit recently? What was supplied in the box?

Avian
06-09-2011, 10:15
That's what it came with. As I see it, the rule about hitting multiple units is fairly pointless if it only had the 30 mm round base.

Scalebug
06-09-2011, 10:24
It's a small flying base on the box and studio army pictures... Avians 60mm flying base is a mispack. Which is the other reason "base it is supplied with" doesn't mean "what your particular model came with"...

Hitting multiple units is a occasional bonus, not something that makes it pointless if you don't get to use the large base.

Avian
06-09-2011, 14:41
Mispack, schmispack. Were you even playing the game thirteen years ago?

Scalebug
06-09-2011, 15:25
I was playing this game 20 years ago, thank you very much...

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/goblin-doom-diver.jpg

Old style, original box (the current one you cannot see the base on the picture).

Dark Aly
06-09-2011, 16:18
mine also came with a large base.

Gertjan
06-09-2011, 17:05
My flying gobbo came with the small base as well, think that's the standard size nowadays. All the o&g players in my local area have that size base, the big one might be a mispackage, or maybe they did actually send them with that base for a while. Remember that as late as the 6th edition army book the doomdiver didn't use a template or base at all, so with the older packages it didn't matter what base the flying goblin came on. If it was a hit it hit, if it missed it missed (after correction ofcourse).

Avian
06-09-2011, 18:05
I was playing this game 20 years ago, thank you very much...

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/goblin-doom-diver.jpg

Old style, original box (the current one you cannot see the base on the picture).

That's not the original box. You can easily tell by the lack of green flock on the bases and the 6th ed starter box Orcs in the foreground.
Not impressed.

Ravenar
06-09-2011, 19:26
Not that relevant but the doom diver box from 4th/5th was green mostly and featured snotlings if memory served. Several of the other "big" box sets were blue or purple and blisters were solid red. The box pic linked above has the scrolling that occurred on boxes/army books toward the very end of 6th ed through the beginning of 7th.

Scalebug
06-09-2011, 19:34
I deliberately put "original" there by mistake, so that Avian could do his smug "not impressed"... (Ok, joking)

It is a service, because he has nothing on anything here, the current model is packaged with a small flying base.

If someone tries to claim that they should be allowed a bigger base, because their model came with it, they have spent too much time up alone in the fjords...

Avian
06-09-2011, 19:45
Why don't you go ask GW if it's wrong to use the base that came with the model?

Tayrod
06-09-2011, 20:40
So how large is the small flying base then? The same size as a terminator base?

Avian
06-09-2011, 20:57
It's half the diameter of the big one - 30 mm.

Spazo
08-09-2011, 09:48
I have (ok it is nominally my brothers army, but for years i take care of it) two doom divers, bought same time for christmas gift - and one has small avian round template while the second - large one. I remember that laugh when unpacking them years ago :)

Urgat
08-09-2011, 15:46
mine also came with a large base.

So does mine.