PDA

View Full Version : New Skaven army, need help on what to buy next?

wikear
01-09-2011, 21:54
Hi guys, I just got myself a pretty good start for an army:

I got my self contents of two IoBs, battalion box and Screaming Bell and a Doomwheel.

The question is: what should I get next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Puggles
01-09-2011, 22:16
Stormvermin, Stormvermin and more Stormvermin.

Then maybe some more Plague Monks, followed by a Furnace.

A Warp-Lightning Cannon or two.

A few more Rat Ogres.

A couple more boxes of Stormvermin.

Then consider Gutter Runners.

Then more Stormvermin.

Scatter some characters in amongst all of this.

Then buy some more Stormvermin.

...I like Stormvermin! :D

wikear
01-09-2011, 22:27
I can see that! :)

Any other suggestions? What characters would you recommend?

mshroom
01-09-2011, 23:23
Not sure if you are using a character, maybe one of the IoB heros as a BSB, but they are a necessity in any skaven army. I would also suggest bolstering the plague monks up a bit.

Jolly Puggles
01-09-2011, 23:56
Characters for Skaven is pretty easy.

A Grey Seer is a formiddable spellslinger, even when he's not on a Screaming Bell. Plague is a game winner. Wither is very nasty and the Dreaded 13th speaks for itself (though is often over-rated, I think...too expensive to cast IMO).

If you couple him with two lvl.2 Warlocks, you'll have pretty much all the spellcasting you'll need.

A BSB, some will say, is essential. I don't think he is, but he is nice for the extra magic banner. Magic Standards are a little thin on the ground for Skaven, so he's probably worth it just to get some extra punch from the Banner of the Under Empire or somesuch.

Warlords and Chieftains are very cheap for what you get. If you keep them so by not going overboard with magic items, you can field one for every unit you have! This is a nice little boost to the otherwise slightly mediocre frighting prowess of Clanrats. Alternatively, kitted for character slayage, they can make for a cheaper character-hunter than an Assassin.

Assassins themselves are very cheap for what you get. 4+ Ward Save, Poisoned Attacks and Always Strikes First, combined with a high Initiatve and 4 attacks is nothing to be sniffed at, by any means. I'm often tempted to field them vanilla, with no extra items, because frankly they don't really need them and they are already expensive compared to, say, a Chieftain with a Blade of Corruption who will probably be better at character hunting, even if he dies in the process.

The Plague Priest, though not my style, is a nasty piece of work...T:5 and a decent fighting profile combined with Lore of Plague spellcasting makes for a potent all-round character that's harder to knock off than, uh, a hard to knock off thing. If you're fielding Plague Monks, definitely field one of these. They are nasty and will ruin your opponents day.

The Vermin Lord is big, he's bad and he'll eat your opponents babies...if he doesn't take a cannon ball to the head before he can close to melee. He's also very expensive. On the other hand, he's also a lvl.4 Wizard with comparable spellslinging abilities to a Seer. Unfortunately, unless you're playing a very big battle, your general will be a Hero level character if you're fielding a Vermin Lord, so he's probably best left on the sideboard for the time being.

In summary, a Grey Seer, two Warlocks a Plague Priest and as many Warlords and Chieftains as you can cram in would be my recomendation!

...and don't forget the Stormvermin!

Seriously, though, S.Vermin are a truly awesome infantry unit. Point for point they're very cost effective...in a game I played last week a unit of 40, led by a Warlord, cleaned up the best part of 1000pts of Bretonnian Knights, including his General. You can field a multitude of them, even in small points games; they'll happily chew through common infantry and vastly outnumber more elite units. Given a Razor Standard and fielded in Horde they'll even make a dent in heavily armoured units of knights and such. Not only are they effective in game terms, but the models are truly beautiful!

wikear
02-09-2011, 00:35
Err... WoW! Thanks man!! Thhat reallly helps!

rakmial
02-09-2011, 05:57
I noticed that Monsieur Puggles left out one option in his recommendations, either out of misremembrance or because of its reputation.

I speak, of course, of the Hell Pit Abomination.

grhino
02-09-2011, 07:29
I'd also say stormvermin, but if you want to get some stuff painted and experience various units in battles soon, go for a Warp Lightning Cannon first. Its cheap in the game but can be a very useful addition. Good luck on painting then - will we see a blog for tracking your progress?

wikear
02-09-2011, 08:02
Definitely... as soon as I put my hands on the models I will be posting a pic of grey plastic. They are already built and grouped in fives (clanrats) so it will be a bit of a mission, but one cannot complain really.

I got an old box of Lizardmen Batallion that I might simply return to GW and get something for Skaven instead :) I'm thinking of getting a box of Stormvermin or two if they got them, if not: one box of Stormvermin and some characters.

When I'm ready I will post a link to the thread over here. It should be Friday 9th or Saturday, work permitting :D

wikear
02-09-2011, 08:04
I speak, of course, of the Hell Pit Abomination.

I know! And I love the model. For now though, I will be using my Arachnorok to proxy :D It does not have any legs and is bluetacked to the base. Looks like a proper HPA :P

wikear
02-09-2011, 22:48
Right! Made some arrangements and am getting a Vermin Lord, Grey Seer and two boxes of Stormvermins. Two boxes for now.

I really like the Jezzails, but I think I shall try converting some cause 10 a pop is not a price I am willing to pay. Especially that it will be a good opportunity to master the GS.

Jolly Puggles
04-09-2011, 17:24
I really like the Jezzails, but I think I shall try converting some cause 10 a pop is not a price I am willing to pay. Especially that it will be a good opportunity to master the GS.

I've heard of some people making their own Jezzail Teams out of a box of Night Runners and the rifles off of a box of Kroot Warriors...comparitively cheap for the number of teams you get out of it.

There is a reason I didn't mention the HPA...simply put, I dislike it and won't encourage anyone to use it. It's the sort of thing better left in one-off scenario games as far as I'm concerned. It's a bunch of special rules cobbled together into something that is too good for the points you pay for it. Virtually nothing it does follows any standard rule, from movement to combat. It doesn't even die like everything else does! I don't even like the model.

lovedinplaster
06-09-2011, 02:45
Lol.. Yea.. The Hpa is a bunch of different monsters crammed together lol. I think the res follow that to a T.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't use the Hpa either. But throt put a lot of hard work(not common for skaven) to find the worm that thing is made from:-D

Imp of High Noon
06-09-2011, 02:54
Always take the 'Dreaded 13th Spell', I've had games where my regular opponent's precious Executioners have fallen fatally foul of it and in all honesty you only need one sucessful cast of it ever, after that the psychological damage is done and your other casters can act with impunity as your opponent nervously saves his dice (in my experience) to thwart the seer's dastardly power!

wikear
06-09-2011, 09:47
Yes! I love Dreaded 13th Spell :) It's morally devastating even if you're not using it. Just to have it there. :)

Well, on a model related note: I got myself two boxes of Stormvermin and a Warplighting Cannon / Catapult Thingy.

Can't wait till Friday when I get my hands on this models. Take some pics and start a proper blog for them. I shall post the link here as soon as I do it.

Aaaa... Lot's of little rats! They will go well with my 3k of O&G :)

lovedinplaster
06-09-2011, 22:59
I've found great use in cloud of corruption as well. It nukes elite cav. And monstrous infiltry and can possibly do more damage than 13th if your spellslinger is placed right.

I think every army that does no include over 200 slaves should be using stormvermin over clanrats. I don't see any use for more than one Clanrat regiment for anything other than weapons teams or a bunker.

Jolly Puggles
06-09-2011, 23:34
I've found great use in cloud of corruption as well. It nukes elite cav. And monstrous infiltry and can possibly do more damage than 13th if your spellslinger is placed right.

I think every army that does no include over 200 slaves should be using stormvermin over clanrats. I don't see any use for more than one Clanrat regiment for anything other than weapons teams or a bunker.

I'm really getting disillusioned with regards to Clanrats...they're twice the points of Slaves, but their performance isn't significantly greater. I used to like them but of late I'm struggling to see a purpose for them...For disposable troops, Slaves are cheaper and for something that will win a combat Stormvermin are the bees pyjamas.

lovedinplaster
07-09-2011, 01:16
Yea..I'm the same way.. The only purpose I can think for clanrats is a cheaper bunker version with shields.. Or just to field extra weapons teams. Slaves still hit anything on a 5-6 and wound anything on 6. Clanrats don't get a magic banner... I'm going to start a topic on this

wikear
07-09-2011, 06:20
(...) or a bunker.

Tell me more!