PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings WYSIWYG

Bathawk
02-09-2011, 01:38
putting together my first WFB army (unless you count my 40k daemons) and was wondering about assembling command squads....tomb kin archers/warriors already seem to have thier hands full with swords 7 shields or bow & arrows, so how do I manage a command squads gear?

for oen i haven't seen a command squad with archers, do they really need it?

for the warriors...does a champion "need" a sword to be accurate, or is he fine with a spear?

and the standard bearer/musician, if they don't have a hand free does this mean they canno longer use a shield or make atttacks with thier hand weapon/spear?

Zaustus
02-09-2011, 01:43
This is really more of a rules question.

Archers don't really need a command squad, though a musician's not a bad idea.

The champion is fine with a spear or sword, whatever you like. It makes no gameplay difference. If the unit has spears, he'll count as having a spear regardless of how he's modeled.

The standard bearer/musician have the same weapons/shields/whatever as the rest of the unit. The instrument/standard are just "extra" and there's no penalty for them.

Kamenwati
02-09-2011, 01:45
Command sqauds are always assumed to have the same gear as the squad around them so don't worry if they don't have a hand free for a shield/spear. For champions, usually a little green stuff to make them stand out or even just a distinctive paint job will do the trick. Archers and warriors come in the same sprue so you use the same command models but most TK's won't give their archers any command units as command models are for units you want in combat.

That said I think you should take a look at the Tomb Kings Tactica thread if you haven't yet. Lots of good information there to read through and welcome to the eternal legions of Khemri.

NTJ2010
02-09-2011, 01:53
Usually your best bet, if you have the ability to give them weapons (the model) try to give them the same ones as the rest of the unit although it's not entirely necessary.

Musicians and standards are obvious in appearance, but usually the champion is just made to look a little more "elite" either via a special piece of armor or weapon or head or something (I like to make them stand out a little but not entirely necessary)

zoggin-eck
02-09-2011, 02:22
As said, command are always armed the same as the unit, so if an archer stanadard and musician aren't holding a bow, it doesn't really matter. For example, anything armed with spear and shield usually have the standard and trumpet/whatever replacing the spear, with the shield still in the left hand. It doesn't really matter.

The champion just make as cool as you can with the bits you have. For some reason spearmen champions are always shown with a sword, I guess because it makes no difference in the first rank. I usually keep them armed with a spear. One example, I bought the new Dark Elf cold one kit, but rather than arm him with the sword like the photo on the box/book I gave him the coolest lance from the set, as it reminds me that he's actually armed with a lance. A bow armed model I'd give a sword to make him stand out, and hang his bow on his back.

Have a look at the unit entries on the GW website if in doubt, and copy what they did if you like the look of it. Otherwise, three command models in the front of a unit are pretty obviously armed the same as the rest of it, and differently armed characters who have joined the unit should be obvious too.

eron12
02-09-2011, 03:26
WYSIWYG isn't a huge deal in Fantasy, at least not to the same level it supusidly is in 40k. It is even less of a deal for command. Command models are susposed to be distinct and noticable. If the champion doesn't have the same weapon set up, that's fine, it's good to have the champion stand out.

jack da greenskin
02-09-2011, 09:13
if you have a tomb guard model kicking around, you could use that and stick a bow on him for the champion :)