PDA

View Full Version : What unit should I buy for my second large block?! 2500pt Darkelves

DragonArmy
02-09-2011, 20:00
Good Days!
I'm creating my 2500pt and 3000pt army; I, however, have reached a dilemma: I need to invest in a second large block unit and I can't decide what to buy! Here is what I currently own and have painted. I've listed it in two categories: might change, willing to change:

Small changes only:

1 Dreadlord, 155 pts = (base cost 140 + Heavy Armour 6 + Sea Dragon Cloak 6 + Shield 3)
1 Dark Pegasus, 50 pts
1 Sword of Might, 15 pts
1 Dragonhelm, 10 pts
1 Pendant of Khaeleth, 35 pts
1 Crown of Command, 35 pts

1 Supreme Sorceress, 260 pts = (base cost 225 + Level 4 Upgrade 35)
1 Sacrificial Dagger, 25 pts

1 Death Hag (Battle Standard Bearer), 115 pts = (base cost 90 + Battle Standard Bearer 25)
1 Cauldron of Blood, 110 pts

1 War Hydra, 175 pts
2 Beastmaster, 0 pts

1 War Hydra, 175 pts
2 Beastmaster, 0 pts

27 Black Ark Corsairs, 285 pts = 27 * 10 (base cost 10) + Musician Mus 5 + Standard Bearer Std 10
1 Sea Serpent Standard, 25 pts

15 Dark Elf Warriors, 93 pts = 15 * 6 (base cost 6) + Musician Mus 3
1 Lordling, 12 pts

Willing to adjust / delete unit

5 Harpies, 55 pts = 5 * 11

8 Shades, 136 pts = 8 * 17 (base cost 16 + Extra Hand Weapon 1)

5 Shades, 85 pts = 5 * 17 (base cost 16 + Extra Hand Weapon 1)

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, 105 pts = 10 * 10 (base cost 10) + Musician

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen, 105 pts = 10 * 10 (base cost 10) + Musician

1 Sorceress, 135 pts = (base cost 100 + Level 2 Upgrade 35)
1 Tome of Furion, 15 pts

-------------------------------------

What I need is a second combat unit costing around 300pts. Magic is intended for Mindrazor on the corsairs (or possibly shades) and Withering for shooting. However, this unit will be intended for the cauldron buff. I've met all the requirements, so I have any special / core option available to me. I've listed the options based on how I value them at this point.

Witch Elves
Xbow Men with shields
CoKs
Black Guard
Executioners
Warriors

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, etc.

DragonArmy
03-09-2011, 03:56
No replies!

I think I am going to to go with witches! I need their poison attacks to provide me with some answer that I currently don't have. I'm thinking of bringing close to 30 though. Those who only run twenty lose a few to shooting and can't make up for it.

Algovil
03-09-2011, 12:05
Witches are probably a wise choice with the concept of the list. I would go Black Guard though, now you really rely on your sorceress/mindrazor to win, and that is quite boring IMO. Black Guard is a strong unit in itself.

Dr Bannana
03-09-2011, 12:28
Take off the costs for specific troops/items, GW see it as infringement of some sort.

tmarichards
04-09-2011, 00:55
You can happily drop the tome from the baby Mage and give her a dispel scroll in my opinion. Black guard are a fantastic choice, especially for newer players as they do everything well, which allows you to work out the direction you want your list to go.

Forsworn
04-09-2011, 04:14
Black Guard, with the Banner of Hag Graef. There's not much that's sweeter than a block of 30 S4, re-rollable attacks.

Another option is to go with Executioners with that Banner. It is ridiculously powerful. However, you need a BSB to carry that banner, sadly.

DragonArmy
04-09-2011, 06:13
Thanks everyone!

I know this will make some hearts cringe, but I ended up getting executioners. $150 dollars later...

(I also own 20 witches and black guard, to mix it up). The reasoning came down to magic decisions: if I don't use shadow magic, I don't have have enough answers to large units of high T and armor. Executioners only need the cauldron to be really effective. Still need to decide on running the banner of hg...

Tmrichards: yeah, I don't know how the tomb snuck in there. I intend to get a dispel scroll.

DragonArmy
04-09-2011, 06:46
And this brings me to my essential problem with dark elves: when other players use a difficult to kill death star unit, I can't handle it except with magic. I love my shades, hydra, 1+ PoK lord, and redirecting with my harpies, but it's shadow magic, specifically mind razor, that allows me to win the game. I got the executioners because I wanted another answer to deal with large infantry units of High T and armor saves.

Side note: I don't have the points for the banner of HG

DragonArmy
04-09-2011, 06:49
Black Guard, with the Banner of Hag Graef. There's not much that's sweeter than a block of 30 S4, re-rollable attacks.

Another option is to go with Executioners with that Banner. It is ridiculously powerful. However, you need a BSB to carry that banner, sadly.

---------------------
FYI: BG are warrior elite (why get Hag Grief if you already have rerolls?) and BG are limited to 20 models

tmarichards
04-09-2011, 23:46
Black Guard with ASF banner is a waste of points, Banner of Murder is the best banner for them.

Forsworn
06-09-2011, 01:52
I don't play Dark ELves, so I didn't know. :\

The friend who played Dark elves got rid of them, and never used Black Guard, so I didn't have any experience with them. Under those circumstances, yes, that banner is pretty useless.

Is it good with executioners? Getting ASF and re-rolls against most things with them seems like it would be *very* good (especially with their high WS and S). The only downside would be that you need a BSB, in which case you'll have trouble keeping him alive thanks to the "no magic items" rule. Is the trade off worth it?

grhino
07-09-2011, 09:58
I'd go for numbers considering your general army list - get a big block of 40-50 warriors with spears and shields, and add a big unit of Black Guard to the army to deal with units that you mentioned you struggle against. 30 strong in a 6x5 formation should be quite sweet.... (or 35 in 7x5 formation)

tmarichards
07-09-2011, 11:22
Black Guard are limited in size to 20 sweetie...