PDA

View Full Version : 2500 8th ed Ogres

vinny t
03-09-2011, 21:20
So with the release of the new Ogres book I sat down, pen and paper in hand, to make The Unstoppable Horde.

Lords

Slaughtermaster
-Level 4 (Lore of Great Maw)
-Ironfist
-Armor of Fortune
-Dispel Scroll
-Crown of Command

So this guy is pretty expensive but worth every penny. He provides good magic offence and defence, is rediculously survivable with W5 at T5, 4+ armor and a 5+ ward, and regaining wounds after casting spells. He also keeps my Irongut unit stubborn.

Heroes

Brusier BSB
-Ironfist
-Heavy Armor
-Dragonhide Banner

Generic BSB with decent survivability W4 at T5 with a 4+ armor and a 6+ ward. Dragonhide banner gives his Ogre unit a ton of punch, ASL combined with re-rolls makes for some fun times.

Firebelly
-Level 2 (Lore of Fire)
-Hellheart
-2 HWs

Good secondary caster with an excellent anti-magic item and a nice breath weapon. A little fragile, but you can't have everything.

Core

14 Bulls
-full command
-Ironfists

My main hammer unit which is joined by both the heroes. Provides some great CC potential along with points-denying fun. Pretty standard.

11 Ironguts
-full command
-Standard of Discipline

Bunker/CC unit for my Slaughtermaster. Provides some great CC power and a 9" LD bubble.

10 Gnoblars
-trappers

10 Gnoblars
-trappers

Redirectors/annoying units. I'll put them in front of a horde and kill 1/6th of the unit while slowing them down.

Special

6 Leadbenchers
-bellower

These guys are my anti-flankers. They kill scouts, skirmishers, fast cavalry, all of that good stuff. They can also fight decently well in combat and can flank charge if necessary.

3 Maneaters
-Extra Hand Weapons
-Heavy Armor
-Scouts
-Swiftstride

Warmachiene hunters/character assassins. Put them on a flank and watch a zone be cleared by the threat of them charging.

1 Sabertusk

1 Sabertusk

1 Sabertusk

Their main purpose is to slow down units. Also a fun trick can be if your opponant flees from a charge from one of my big units, charge these guys too and try to run them down. Also good deployment drops.

Rare

Scraplauncher

Whittles down infantry units and can provide a nice flank charge if necessary. Also I have a really cool converted one so I'd like to use it :D.

So there you go. What does everyone think? Changes, ideas, tactics?

Edit: new list

Slaughtermaster
-Ironfist
-Glittering Scales
-Dispel Scroll
-Crown of Command

Heroes

Brusier BSB
-Ironfist
-Heavy Armor
-Dragonhide Banner

Firebelly
-Level 2 (Lore of Fire)
-Hellheart
-2 HWs

Core

16 Bulls
-full command
-Ironfists

11 Ironguts
-full command
-Standard of Discipline

10 Gnoblars
-trappers

Special

6 Leadbenchers

3 Maneaters
-Extra Hand Weapons
-Heavy Armor
-Scouts
-Swiftstride

1 Sabertusk

1 Sabertusk

1 Sabertusk

Rare

Scraplauncher

Gaargod
04-09-2011, 00:18
I'm curious why you're taking 14 bulls? I'm assuming you intend to go 4 wide with both characters, but ranks aren't really the ogre thing... Hordes of bulls however, that I could get behind!

In order to find points for those 2 ogres extra you need to go horde (well, not a lot of point missing attacks before you even start), drop the gnoblars. Seriously, even with trappers, they're not really a good option. You can't use them to negate steadfast to the front. a) They take up space for an ogre to hit things and b) They'll give away combat res so fast the enemy won't need to be steadfast c) they're slow. Ogres aren't. You could use them for a flank charge, but that's hard to do.
As for holding up monsters... Forget it. If a monster who isn't capable of wiping out the gnoblars in a short space of time has hit them, your opponent has done something wrong (or you're a military genius).
The unit of 10 with trappers has more value, but again... I think i'd just take more ogres.

I'm not sure about the standard on the maneaters? If they flee, he autodies for a start. Plus, do you really need the +1 combat res? Against a weak flanker, maneaters will eat them alive. Against a full unit, they'll be steadfast and not caring.

Love the sabretusks. Ironguts seem pretty cool (although, what setup you running them? 2x5 seems... well, not a good idea. 3x3 with a spare one at the back is okay, but a bit of a waste of points perhaps)

vinny t
04-09-2011, 00:53
I'm intending on either going 5-wide or horde with the ogres. It depends on who I'm up against. The reason I didn't take 16 to make it a full horde is that I find units like that to be a little unwieldly and I don't own enough ogres to take 16.

The gnoblars I keep around mainly because having a big unit never hurts but I see your point. I could drop the unit of 40 and take 1 unit of 10 instead for a total of 2 units of 10. I like the gnoblars because they take up deployments and can mess with big units' movement.

The standard I took mainly because I had 10 extra points.

The ironguts I'm running 5x2 unless I need that extra manuvering space. The Crown of Command means I don't need to worry about breaking, and with Ironguts you're going for kills anyway.

So if I drop 30 gnoblars and the champion (80 points) and drop the maneater's banner (10 points) I can add 2 Ironguts for a total of 11 and an extra HW for the firebelly.

So my new list is this.

Lords

Slaughtermaster
-Level 4 (Lore of Great Maw)
-Ironfist
-Glittering Scales
-Dispel Scroll
-Crown of Command

Heroes

Brusier BSB
-Ironfist
-Heavy Armor
-Dragonhide Banner

Firebelly
-Level 2 (Lore of Fire)
-Hellheart
-2 HWs

Core

16 Bulls
-full command
-Ironfists

11 Ironguts
-full command
-Standard of Discipline

10 Gnoblars
-trappers

Special

6 Leadbenchers

3 Maneaters
-Extra Hand Weapons
-Heavy Armor
-Scouts
-Swiftstride

1 Sabertusk

1 Sabertusk

1 Sabertusk

Rare

Scraplauncher

thesheriff
04-09-2011, 22:48
I still think the best thing to do with man-eaters is double pistols, sniper, poison. But, what ever works for you.

I'd split the Leadbelchers.

And also, doesn't the ironfist only COUNT AS a shield, and therefore is not armour, thus preventing the purchasing on magical armour? I might be wrong (or this might be FAQ'd).

Looks good otherwise.

thesheriff

vinny t
05-09-2011, 19:27
The ironfist issue is one of those things that will probably be addressed in the FAQ but for now it is a shield. Since a shield is technically armor the Slaughtermasters can take magical armor.

Why would you split the Leadbelchers? Right now they're decently durable and can assist with charges. Also they're harder to kill and get points from.

I like the scouting maneaters, cheap, and pack a serious punch when flanking. I think the scouting is their best ability, swiftstride is in there so they can have a larger threat radius and perhaps get more impacts. Also they're 30 points cheaper than the shooting variety.

I'm having second thoughts on dropping the unit of 40 gnoblars, I used them in a game and they were pretty good at holding up a Daemonic Engine (chaos dwarves). It killed about 8 of them a turn and took around 2.5 turns to kill them entirely. For 105 points thats pretty good.

Edit: I just had an idea. What about if I drop the 10 Gnoblars with trappers (50) drop the armor of fortune (35), and drop the musician on the leadbelchers (10). Then I can add 2 ogres (64) and the glittering scales on my slaughtermaster (25). So now my units will be all nice and rounded out.