PDA

View Full Version : unit fleeing

Khorneflakes
05-09-2011, 07:18
in a game on sunday i had a unit of wardancers (5 in front rank, 3 in 2nd) in the flank of some brett knights (2 ranks of 5) and another unit of 3 wardancers in the front.

i won combat and the knights fled.

which way would they flee?

my opponent said directly away from the flankers and off the side of the table 7" away cos i had ranks on the side. i said the front rank dont count as the are skirmishers and its not really a rank, so they should have fled backwards to his table edge.

which is correct?

Yrrdead
05-09-2011, 07:31
I would say your opponent is correct. But here are the applicable lines that I can find.

DIRECTION OF FLIGHT
Where there is a choice of foes to flee from warriors will always be more determined to avoid the most numerous enemy.[...]

Each fleeing unit pivots about its centre(ignoring enemy units) so that it is facing directly away from the enemy with the most ranks of five or more models (select a unit randomly if there is a tie).

SKIRMISHERS
[...]Skirmishers always count as having zero ranks, and therefore cannot claim a rank bonus, be steadfast, or disorder an enemy with a flank or rear attack - they make supporting attacks as normal, however.[...]

I could see someone arguing that against 2 skirmishers (like in your example) they both have "zero" ranks so a dice off would be required.

Not really an answer but there isn't much that is ambiguous, all the above sections are what is applicable so the conclusion is up to you.

Mr_Rose
05-09-2011, 09:48
Yeah, technically you probably ought to dice for it since they have equal ranks (zero) but it always seems more "natural" to me that they'd flee from the biggest unit, that being the core of the reasoning behind them fleeing from the most ranks.

Khorneflakes
05-09-2011, 20:03
sweet so they should have fled off the side of the table instead of heading back to his starting table edge

Scalebug
05-09-2011, 23:14
If that was the unit randomly selected (of two both with 0 ranks, as Yrrdead pointed out), yes... Mr_Rose merely stated his personal opinion, not what the rules say.

Khorneflakes
06-09-2011, 00:26
i was happy to let him flee back to his table edge rather than the closest edge, which may have been the case. i won in the end so its golden ps it was a storm of magic game