PDA

View Full Version : New Ogre's - 2,400pts

Pawn of Decay
05-09-2011, 08:37
So the new Ogre book is out, and with it my chance to get an army complete. Now this army isn’t an all out competitive list, but I do want to be able to at least hold out against a lot of armies. I am planning on running this in a Tournament in November, so it has been partly made to give me enough time to get it done.

I have only really started getting into Fantasy recently by using my friends Warriors of Chaos, so this will be my first real Fantasy Army. All comments and critique are welcome and would be greatly appreciated. I do have a rough idea of how I imagine the army working.

Hero’s: 600pts

Ogre Bruiser – 165pts
- Gnoblar Thief Stone
- Heavy Armour
- Great Weapon

Hunter – 435pts
- Stonehorn
- Harpoon Gun
- Blade of Battle
- Giantbreaker Big Name

Core: 601pts

Ironguts [12] – 601pts
- Full Command
- Dragonhide Banner
- Lookout Gnoblar

Special: 690pts

Mournfang Cavalry [3] – 230pts
- Banner
- Musician
- Heavy Armour
- Ironfists

- Banner
- Musician
- Heavy Armour
- Ironfists

- Banner
- Musician
- Heavy Armour
- Ironfists

Rare: 500pts

Thundertusk – 250pts
- Harpoon Gun

Thundertusk – 250pts
- Harpoon Gun

Total = 2,391pts

The army is fairly straight forward. The Mournfang Cavalry are to either move in front of the army. Pushing forward quickly to disrupt the enemy lines, taking fire and magic. Or the idea is to using them as a flanking force, going for flank denial.

The Thundertusk’s are to position either side of the Ironguts unit. Making anything I charge or get charged by, strike at the same time as the unit, whilst firing Stone Throwers and Harpoon Guns. The Stonehorn with the Hunter on Top will also be near by one of the Thundertusk’s to benefit from the always strike last rule, hoping to cause a devastating charge on enemy units.

The army has 25 models, with the Bruiser only really in the army to give the Ironguts Magic Resistance, and to be the General of the army.

Deathbysoup
05-09-2011, 09:05
The fact you dont have any magic may be a weakness since the maw spells can be useful, so you might wanna drop one of the thundertusks to get a lvl 3 with helheart.

Yrrdead
05-09-2011, 09:48
I'll second Deathbysoup. The lack of magic is going to be extremely detrimental , especially in a tournament environment. Now I lack the book (will remedy this afternoon). But there are exactly two armies (okay maybe 3) that can pull off a no magic list in a competitive environment . And OK isn't one of them.

Other than the magic, the list is very different from what I'd be expecting. I'm not sure how it would do. But I would recommend a little proxxying, before I grabbed all these kits, for a build as extreme as this.

Gaargod
05-09-2011, 17:31
No magic and no BSB is a bad start. Especially in a tournament. Your units are hardcore, no doubt, but for example, if you run a mournfang unit into a Mindrazored unit of spearelves (a common tactic amongst high/dark elf players), they will explode before they even get to swing. Similarly, you just won't get that many casualties against a unit buffed with lore of life. For certain, a Slann with Life/Shadow will just be a total pain to play.
That's not even getting started on superspells, which your MR2 won't help against. The irongut bunker is great, but you'll lose over half per purple sun, for example.

The 2 thundertusks are... weird choices too. You have enough heavy hitting units not to need their combat abilities, their ASL aura is beautiful for the mournfangs, but not really worth 500points, and their shooting isn't really enough...

I'd say at a minimum, lose the hunter and take a wizard instead, ideally a slaughtermaster, and make the bruiser a BSB (its worth it). Maybe lose one T-Tusk to do so.

Vsurma
05-09-2011, 18:46
Yea as boring as it is a slaughtermaster and bsb bruiser are auto includes in 99% of lists over 2k.

You can choose to take them but you should have an answer as to why you are not doing so.

You need a General so its either SM or tyrant, your call, most seem to be taking SM and I will definitely do so myself.

2nd you want a BSB, 99% of all armylists take one because they are worth it.

Otherwise your list is fine imo, just change that hunter into a SM and add bsb (and either banner of flame or dicipline) onto the bruiser and your golden.

I would say disciple on the bsb and then flaming banner on a cav unit.

Pawn of Decay
07-09-2011, 21:00
Well thank you everyone for your input and advice. After taking it into consideration I have changed the army list slightly to compensate. I play tested the army list today against my Friends Tournament High Elf army list.

His list consisted of;

Teclis
Level 2 High Elf Mage
15 High Elf Bowmen x2
20 Lothren Sea Guard
30 White Lions x2
Repeater Bolt Thrower x2

With various magic items, commands etc.

After a close battle The High Elves ended up with roughly 1,150 Victory Points. My Ogre army managed to gain a great 1,720 ish Victory Points winning a solid Victory.

The new army list consists of;

Lord

Slaughter Master - 387pts
- Level 4
- Hellheart
- Talisman of Preservation
- Ironcurse Item
- Additional Hand Weapon

Hero

Bruiser - 191pts
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Armour of Destiney
- Great Weapon

Core

Ironguts [12] - 601pts
- Full Command
- Dragonhide Banner
- Look out Gnoblar

Special

Mournefang Cavalry [3] - 245pts
- Banner
- Musician
- Heavy Armour
- Ironfists
- Banner of Swiftness

Mournefang Cavalry [3] - 240pts
- Banner
- Musician
- Heavy Armour
- Ironfists
- Banner of Eternal Flame

Mournefang Cavalry [3] - 235pts
- Banner
- Musician
- Heavy Armour
- Ironfists
- Gleaning Pennant

Rare

Thundertusk - 250pts

Thundertusk - 250pts

Total: 2,399pts

OllieOllieOllie
08-09-2011, 02:46
You totally should of took a unit of Maneaters with Sniper/Poison or Scout/Sniper :) The look on an opponent's face when you shoot Teclis to bits on the first turn is priceless.

The Satyr
08-09-2011, 02:55
Hate to break it to you but only 1 Cav unit in the army can take a magic banner.

goinggreen
08-09-2011, 03:17
Don't count your game against that High Elf list a great experience...... IMO most players that use Teclis don't know how to use their list effectively. I like the changes including the BSB and SM.. There is a lot of heavy hitting guys to mess stuff up

Pawn of Decay
08-09-2011, 08:17
lol. My friend is a good gamer. He just likes Teclis.

Hmm @ The Satyr, I will have a look at that. I hadn't Realised. It isn't an issue at all if this is the case. The Flaming Banner and the Gleaning Pennant were mainly just Point Fillers which can go else where possibly.

The only thing I had been thinking, was to drop the Slaughtermaster down to a Butcher with Hellheart and Level 2, freeing up enough points to make the Cavalry units to 4 strong. Mournefang Cavalry are actually just devistating on the charge :)

Yrrdead
08-09-2011, 09:25
I would stick with the Slaughtermaster. In fact I would swap his gear a bit. Go with Armor of Destiny, Hellheart, Ironfist. Though I'd rather have a Butcher or better yet a Firebelly rocking Hellheart. But for a single caster I'd recommend the above.

How were the dual Tusks? Do you feel you could drop one? That is the first place that comes to mind to free up points when I look at your current list. I almost would rather have a 500 pt unit of bulls than 2x Tusks. But that is pure speculation. I haven't seen multiple Tusk's in a game yet.

Pawn of Decay
08-09-2011, 10:09
They worked well, combining them with a unit of Mournefangs against the High Elf White Lions. The Aura denied them there re-rolls to hit, and the Stone Thrower like weapon done significant damage to Archer Units and the Sea Guard. Even getting stuck into combat at one point the Thundertusk did well.

I think as a unit they certainly work better in pairs. I think if I had just used 1, it would have been fairly unimpressive. But having the second one allowed a better spread and threat relay, bringing the additional Target Saturation. If I was going to drop 1 of them, I would drop both. That or tag team it with a Stonehorn.

Hmm if I change the Slaughtermasters gear around a bit, I can just rock Heavy Armour, Ironcurse Item and Talisman of Preservation on the BSB along with his Great Weapon.

Gaargod
09-09-2011, 01:02
Definitely, definitely take banner of eternal flame on a mournfang unit. Its great for chasing monsters/regen units. If they haven't got a magic banner... do you really need the standard? The +1 combat res isn't generally that important, and him auto-dying if you flee isn't fun. Good for blood and glory though.

I still say you should take some sabretusks - specifically, a minimum of 3 units of 1. You will have points left over after losing the magic banners - and those things are crazy good. Fit your theme too.

Turtleking
10-09-2011, 01:54
I just counted your army, it's 25 minis.

*checks O-G army - 250+ at 2400*

I picked the wrong army.....

drear
10-09-2011, 13:40
looking through the list, the thundetusk duo dont seem to be the best use of the rare.
you might want to try thundertusk, and maybe 2 scraplaucnhers , or a ironblaster .

maybe use the dragonhiude banner on the mournfang or ironguts?

Pawn of Decay
12-09-2011, 08:39
The Dragonhide Banner is already on the Ironguts. Banner of Eternal Flame is on 1 unit of Mournefang. I think if I drop 1 Thundertusk I would drop the other. I think the Auro effect of 1 on it's own just doesn't work. I think I need to run them in pairs or not at all. However I could drop both Thundertusks and add in 2 Scrap Launchers and 1 Iron Blaster which would give me another 70pts leaving me 106pts under

Turtleking
12-09-2011, 15:31
I dont know without testing the thundertusks duo. Looks interesting.