PDA

View Full Version : 2400 pt Ogres - looking for advice on unit mix

isotope99
05-09-2011, 18:43
This is what I have so far:

Lv4 S/Master w/ Armour of Destiny, enchanted shield, dragonhelm, (total save 2+/4++/2++ versus flame) & Warrior bane (magic weapon -1 A for wounded characters)

I've got some fluff where his protective spells turns him into the prophet of the fire maw. Think an eldar avatar with a big whirlpool of Lava where his gut is (working on two models for my general before and after transformation).

Total Lords: 355: 15%

Lv2 Firebelly w/ dispel scroll & ironcurse icon (6++ vs war machines)

BSB w/ gold sigil sword (I10) and glittering scales (-1 to hit)

Total heroes: 355: 15%

16 Bulls w/ironfists & full command

Horde w/ Firebelly and BSB

7 Ironguts, full command and banner of discipline

Slaughtermaster goes here to benefit from standard.

Total Core: 888: 37%

3 Mournfangs w/ Heavy armour & ironfist
4 leadbelchers

Total Special: 392: 16%

Thundertusk

Ironblaster

Total rare: 420: 18%

Questions I have:

Not sure quite what the mix of Ironguts and bulls should be?
Maneaters vs. Mournfangs?
Where should I put my characters (should my BSB guard my SM)?
Would the discipline banner be better on the BSB even if it costs him his magic items?

I'm pretty fixed on my characters & rare although items are negotiable.

Jericho
05-09-2011, 19:25
I wouldn't get too attached to that Slaughtermaster... there is a strong argument that you can buy him magic armor (he can take a mundane Ironfist after all) but you certainly can't take 3 pieces of magic armor.

I'd recommend Armor of Silvered Steel and Talisman of Preservation, which gets you most of the way there.

vinny t
05-09-2011, 19:34
I wouldn't be too worried about your slaughter master's survival. T5 with 5 wounds and the ability to get wounds back means he should be pretty survivable. You could just take the glittering scales and an iron fist for a 5+ 6+ save at -1 to hit.

No small units of 10 Gnoblars or 1 sabertusk? They're good at taking up deployments and getting in your opponent's way.

Otherwise I'm liking the list, it's a lot like mine

isotope99
05-09-2011, 20:04
I wouldn't get too attached to that Slaughtermaster... there is a strong argument that you can buy him magic armor (he can take a mundane Ironfist after all) but you certainly can't take 3 pieces of magic armor.

I'd recommend Armor of Silvered Steel and Talisman of Preservation, which gets you most of the way there.

Thanks, see that now, assumed that suits, shields and helms were different but not so (seemed a bit cheesey) :cheese: BRB p. 500

Going to drop him to Armour of destiny, ironfist for 4+/4++, saves me 12 points.

I think I'll also swap the glittering scales on my BSB for H armour & ironfist + potion of strength: 4 S8 hits at I10 & WS5 should be fairly scary in a challenge or against monsters.

On sabretusks, I'm considering trying to juggle points for a couple although more as war machione hunters.

thesheriff
05-09-2011, 21:26
If your really want defensive on the bruiser, Fencers, glittering scales, talismain of Preservation would be a good bet. WS10, -1 to hit, with T5, 5 Wounds, 4++ and regain from bloodgruel?!? Should be fine (until he gets pit of shaded that is :p)

Or, Armour of silvered steel, Dawnstone? 2+ rerollable seems decent enough.

But, as said, there is a debate over will he be able to wear armour come the FAQ? so, I wouldnt get to used to indestructible slaughtermaster.

thesheriff

Jericho
09-09-2011, 01:33
Unless they take away the Ironfist option, there is no reason to forbid him from wearing armor. Having the option for mundane armor allows a wizard to take magic armor.

Anyway, you do raise a good point about the 2+ re-rollable save. That's usually plenty for a character that isn't going to go out of his way to find the biggest/baddest opponents to fight in combat. And it leaves 30pts for other toys as well.