PDA

View Full Version : Unit Sizes and Ranking for Orge Kingdoms

Death Korp
06-09-2011, 15:39
Hey all,

I'm slightly interested in collecting an Ogre Army, due to all the pretty models, and the low model count, making it easier for me to take them all to uni with me.

So, whats the best sizes for the main 3 Ogre units? I think 12, 4x3 Bulls seem to be the right size and ranking, but what about the Ironguts and the Leadbelchers?

Hope this makes sense! I'm basically wanting to make the core of my force with 2 Battalions.

Cheers!

stonehorse
06-09-2011, 16:24
I run my Bulls and Ironguts in Horde Formations, if the game is too small I think units of 8 is best, 4x2. Leadbelchers I think will always be in units of 8.

snottlebocket
06-09-2011, 16:31
Most people seem to run main units of 8 with plenty of characters spread around. Smaller 2 by 2 units can be useful for support.

Lukasz_VT
06-09-2011, 16:41
I agree that hordes are the way to go with bulls and ironguts if you can afford it. Otherwise, I'd say 9 at a minimum - preferably 12 or so. Ironguts should be treated like bulls for unit size, as they are no harder to kill and you need a workable fighting force making it past shooting and magic and into combat.

Hard to say with leadbelchers as they are quite different under the new rules. I'm thinking of 4-6 with 1-2 units.

Mercules
06-09-2011, 17:25
I disagree...

One big Horde or 4x# unit with the Runemaw was a great way to go under the old rules. With the new rules that Horde is going to have more issues with Magic and Warmachines than it used to. The Runemaw is not as reliable as it was and harder to fit into points.

I tend to run 3x3 so I can squeeze through terrain but 4x3 could work well. I try to bring multiple threats and so several solid units and have them support each other. This worked well for me with the old book in 8th and looks to still work now with the new book.

Coldblood666
07-09-2011, 01:50
I'm going to use 2 units of 12 Ogres with ironfists, 1 unit of 10 Ironguts, and 1 unit of 8 Leadbelchers.

ihavetoomuchminis
07-09-2011, 11:00
I think the optimum unit size is 3x3 or 4x3 if you can afford. 4 models wide would be able to fight against every unit (barring monsters and lone models). That means 24 S4 attacks. Not bad. 3x2 units as support is a good idea too. I think that's the optimum size for leadbelchers too (6D6 shoots is enough, despite the idea of shooting 8d6 shots is tempting)