PDA

View Full Version : Need some lizard advice.

Nubl0
08-09-2011, 19:16
Righto, I'm used to playing horde armies and I want to run a pretty saurus heavy lizard list. I was just wondering what kind of regiment sizes to run them in? I was thinking 2 units of 30 with sword and board and 6 wide, and then another unit of 32 TG and slann to form the core of my army, that also leaves me with a few points left over for goodies like salamanders and scar vets.

How do you guys run saurus? :P Also I won't be taking spears, the 4+ up is too good to pass up on.

BEEGfrog
13-09-2011, 02:49
Seems reasonable, you may find 32 TG is overkill if you run Life.

The 2 attacks in the front rank dropping to a single supporting attack from further back means that Saurus can be better in wider shallower formations than other units, consider 7 or 8 wide units if you are not facing too many hordes.

popisdead
14-09-2011, 20:52
three units of 30? that is pretty big. Lizardmen are fine at 20/25.

FYI the difference between more attacks and saving 1/6 more wounds is worth taking the spears for. Especially as 8th ed is all about the buffs. make your units more killy than slightly better protected.

I recommend ~20 TG flanked by two units of 20-25 Saurus w/ Spears. Cast the double move/attack, WS 10, Init 10, and ASF spells AOE, bounce the first miscast, and flank with Salamanders. Pretty much mechanical chess.

Jetty Smurf
15-09-2011, 07:06
Saurus with spears still get the bonus to armour save from shields. What they lose is the 6+ parry save.

That said, 30 is really the minimum size I would recommend for either hand weapon or spear option.

My saurus are all carrying spears, but that is from 7th ed where they really were the better option. These days it's really all personal preference. I would recommend proxying both options before you decide. My 2 units of saurus are both 30 strong, running 6 wide x 5 deep.

As for the TG unit, I currently run mine as a unit of 21, 5x4. With the slann in the middle it changes the unit to a 5x5 block. I find this is enough, but can definitely understand if you want more (I have been tempted myself with some other changes to my lists).

Bauknefer
17-09-2011, 05:07
I run 2 units of 19 saurus sword and board with scar vets. and a 20 man TG unit. saurus are 5 by 4 and TG are 6 by 4 and the frog is life and they out grind most units. i support with skink skirmishers and sallies and stegs to taste. i even use coldone cav with a mounted oldblood (surprisingly effective).

if you are going with light then i say go spears and 30 man like the above poster said. if you are going life then you can drop the numbers a bit. the lower the numbers the less spears are usefull.

Grey Mage
17-09-2011, 07:33
At 2500pts Ill run...

a 20 strong temple gaurd bunker for my slann.

2 units of 30 or 32 saurus with spears in either a 5x6 or 8x4 formation depending on opponents and terrain.

2 units of 25 or 30 saurus with handweapons in 5 wide units.

ArmyC
19-09-2011, 01:29
Saurus with spears get the armor bonus against ranged attacks but not in close combat

Don Zeko
19-09-2011, 03:51
Saurus with spears get the armor bonus against ranged attacks but not in close combat

No, they get it in close combat. Spears are one-handed weapons.