PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Golden Age,

PigeonSmythe
09-09-2011, 09:49
Return of the Golden Age,

nice little tactic (or just a bonus coming out of the storm of magic spell)

If you cast return of the Golden Age, then follow that up with Smiting on a unit of chariots you actually can get attacks from the chariots.

Smiting gives all parts of a model +1A, so chariots get an attack, normally this has no effect as they have no WS or I, (so cant attack anyway) but with return of the Golden Age all non specified models get +1 WS/S/I this means the chariots are WS1, S5, I1, and with smiting they have an attack each as well, gives you a few extra S5 attacks which always helps.

They cant however benefit from My Will Be Done, (unlike the steeds which are Beasts and therefore do benefit) because the Chariot itself is the mount and is specifically excluded.

warplock
09-09-2011, 09:50
I'm not entirely convinced that Return to the Golden Age gives inanimate objects an attack... :confused:

PigeonSmythe
09-09-2011, 12:42
Return of Golden Age doesnt give the attack, smiting does. It gives all seperate parts of the model +1 attack so on a chariot each line is chariot, steed, charioteer, (or in fact 2 steeds and 2 charioteers) each gets an extra attack so each steed has 2 each charioteer has 3. The chariot also gets +1 so it gets 1 attack.

Normally this attack is not usable (it is after all an inanimate object as you said, with no I, WS) it does have a strength.

Return of the Golden Age combines with Smiting to make the attack.

My apologies for not putting this in the rules thread btw. (on reflection I guess it should be there)

snottlebocket
09-09-2011, 13:02
Return of Golden Age doesnt give the attack, smiting does. It gives all seperate parts of the model +1 attack so on a chariot each line is chariot, steed, charioteer, (or in fact 2 steeds and 2 charioteers) each gets an extra attack so each steed has 2 each charioteer has 3. The chariot also gets +1 so it gets 1 attack.

Normally this attack is not usable (it is after all an inanimate object as you said, with no I, WS) it does have a strength.

My apologies for not putting this in the rules thread btw. (on reflection I guess it should be there)

Look on the bright side. You're now my new favorite example of idiotic rules lawyering gone wild.

warplock
09-09-2011, 13:28

Fair enough, I can see the logic, but I don't think anyone would accept this in-game, it's too much of a stretch and sounds like rules-lawyering. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable pulling this one on an opponent!

sulla
09-09-2011, 21:30
Look on the bright side. You're now my new favorite example of idiotic rules lawyering gone wild.:D:D:DClassic!:D:D:D

Lathrael
10-09-2011, 10:36
Look on the bright side. You're now my new favorite example of idiotic rules lawyering gone wild.

Couldn't said better...

Woodsman
10-09-2011, 14:06
:cries:

mind blown

grumbaki
11-09-2011, 06:47
Wait, if there is no I, how does it make an attack? No initiative means that it has no order to attack in.

PigeonSmythe
11-09-2011, 22:12
I would never seriously try it but thought I would throw it out to hopefully get them to FAQ the loophole. I do however think it is wonderful that they (GW) dont consider these things themselves.

Grumbaki, it is initative 1 if you use return of the golden age the chariot gains +1 initiative from the spell amongst the other bonuses.

Jack of Blades
11-09-2011, 22:51
I would never seriously try it but thought I would throw it out to hopefully get them to FAQ the loophole. I do however think it is wonderful that they (GW) dont consider these things themselves.

Why would they consider such an obvious loophole :eyebrows:

eron12
11-09-2011, 23:30
It gives all seperate parts of the model +1 attack so on a chariot each line is chariot, steed, charioteer, (or in fact 2 steeds and 2 charioteers) each gets an extra attack so each steed has 2 each charioteer has 3. The chariot also gets +1 so it gets 1 attack.

I'm not sure I follow the seperate parts of the model bit. I cannot direct attacks at the charioteers or steeds as I could with a monster and rider. Nor does a template weapon make (in this case) 5 hits when over a chariot. Therefore I would be cautious of saying the chariot is a seperate bit and gets its own attack.

Haravikk
12-09-2011, 13:01
I'm not sure I follow the seperate parts of the model bit. I cannot direct attacks at the charioteers or steeds as I could with a monster and rider. Nor does a template weapon make (in this case) 5 hits when over a chariot. Therefore I would be cautious of saying the chariot is a seperate bit and gets its own attack.
It does already get a form of attack in the shape of Impact Hits. Likewise, while you cannot attack the charioteers or steeds, they can most certainly attack you.

I do not agree with the idea, or the justification for using it, but I do believe that rules-wise it's valid.

I think this should really be moved to the rules forum if it's to be a discussion of whether it's valid though.

The bearded one
12-09-2011, 13:57
I am actually wondering about the validity. I can't recall any rules that actually forbid it. All I am unsure about it wether a stat of - is turned into 1 if you aply any kind of +1 effect on it like 'return to the golden age' as though the stat really said 0 instead of -

Frankly
12-09-2011, 15:48

Why would they consider such an obvious loophole :eyebrows:

For some reason this made me LoL

grhino
12-09-2011, 17:14
For some reason this made me LoL

People call that 'sarcasm'... and you're damn right!

musical
12-09-2011, 18:49
As much as I agree this is a loophole, it is only one extra S5 attack on each chariot. Don't forget this only 'works' in a SoM game which is the fantasy equivalent of 40K apocalypse anyway with plenty of other crazy stuff going on. Personally I woundn't mind this too much.

drear
12-09-2011, 19:07
the chariot has a stat entry on the profile for the chariot i assume?
otherwise id start giving all inanimate parts of a model an attack..his ammo pouch, quiver, individual arrows.

musical
12-09-2011, 19:11
By the time you cast both spells a chariot will have the profile:

M- WS1 BS- S5 T4 W3 I1 A1 LD-

so yeah it does work, but hitting on a 5+