PDA

View Full Version : How to Bunker your Spell Weaver?

Turtleking
09-09-2011, 14:57
Just a question for my fellow W.E. players ~

What units/sizes do you guys use to Bunker your spell weavers at 1k and 2k point games?

Chain
09-09-2011, 17:19
With Glade Guards

Not sure how many i'd put in the unit perhaps just 10 if at 1k
But as many as 20 as a potential max at 2k

Turtleking
09-09-2011, 17:28
I'm worried about putting just 10 GG in at 1k points as a bunker for the mage, has anyone else run numbers like 10-20 and had it work out well?

Chain
09-09-2011, 17:44
Well... the other units
Treekin? not likely
Dryads? not smart eiher
eternal Guard? again a close combat unit
Glade Riders? sadly are to juicy targets imo

Wild Riders? again you want them in close combat, you don't want the weaver in close combat(or your using some magic items that might work)

Scouts? to few in numbers
waywatchers? wouldn't work
Treemen? not possible
Warhawks? a bit risky on just a great eagle and just 4+ LOS
Wardancers? again something that want to get in close

So unless you've kitted it with some magic items you plan to use in close combat I got a hard time arguing for any of the other options than Glade Guards

THough It might be fun to try one with treekins

Turtleking
09-09-2011, 18:30
I don't see anything to put them in but GG either... But wanted to know if someone had tried.

What I was really looking for was what kind of numbers did people run their GG in?

popisdead
14-09-2011, 20:58
Generally in a unit I don't want anyone to hit in CC :p

There are a few things. Wand of Wych Elm and the Talisman of Preservation comes exactly to 100 points.

The Rhymers Harp on the Spellweaver and put him on the corner of 29 Glade Guard or Eternal Guard (depending on your flavour of caster/style of play) and keep him away from CC.

Elf heroes die fast which is something non-elf players tend not get if they are throwing the term "cheese" around :eyebrows:

There are a couple Ward items in the Wood Elf book people use as well, the 3+ shadowfield and the Stone of Rebirth are common.

Nocculum
14-09-2011, 21:16
Lore of Beasts, in a unit of 10 Wardancers with a Wardancer Noble.

Skarsgard
14-09-2011, 21:29
5 wardancers are 90 points.

Give the Weaver;

5 wounds, -1 to hit from shooting, ItP, MR 1, skirmish for easy reforms

Nocculum
14-09-2011, 21:35
Not to mention an additional 10 high initiative high weapon skill killing blow attacks ;).

thegrapeman
15-09-2011, 06:56
Scouts are actually pretty decent. Worth 1pt less than the Wardancers for the same size, with most of the same advantages. ItP means you can't flee from a charge, which is not always a good thing. MR1 and a 6+ ward is nice, but not *that* useful. And, you can shoot!

Failing that, Glade Guard are your best bet. I use 4 units of 12 at 2.5k. Stick her in one of those and off you go!

EDIT: Actually, Nocculum's Wardancer suggestion is pretty cool. Hadn't though of that. Hmmm...

Nocculum
15-09-2011, 08:25
I usually give the weaver/singer the Glamorweave item too.

Althwen
15-09-2011, 10:12
I used to gve him Wand of the Wych elm and the talisman of preservation for exactly 100pts, but now I just give him Ranu's Heartstone to save him/her from those killing miscasts.
I still deploy them either in Glade guard or a 5 man unit of Wardancers.
It's quite easy to leave and join other units nowadays. You can even leave and join them in the same turn now. So I wouldn't be too worried about anyone cathcing him/her unless your being hunted by someone on a dragon.

Oh, and I decided to no longer give him/her a ward save because I use the Lore of Life. Regeneration through that Lore attribute pretty much takes care of most incoming damage.

WizzyWarlock
15-09-2011, 10:45
It's either mounted and placed in a unit of Glade Riders, which means excellent ability to get to where it needs to be for casting at the right target - not to mention fleeing from danger in a hurry. Or free floating but spending most of its time in a Glade Guard unit.

I did, however, once get a Spellweaver with Fencers Blades and Lore of Beasts, put it in a unit of Wardancers that had two other characters, Noble & Highborn Wardancer Kindreds, then watched the carnage as I cast Savage Beast of Horros on the lot. It got quite messy for the enemy with 22 attacks from the characters alone!

Malorian
15-09-2011, 14:38
Glade riders is the way I would go.

Run 10 of them and just run around. If you lose any just raise them with lore of life.

popisdead
15-09-2011, 20:50
10 Glade Riders is quite hefty. I would use maybe 5 or 6 Wild Riders (slightly better protection for 2 poitns more a model) if I was going to use fast cav.

Malorian
15-09-2011, 20:59
10 Glade Riders is quite hefty. I would use maybe 5 or 6 Wild Riders (slightly better protection for 2 poitns more a model) if I was going to use fast cav.

5 or 6 just simply isn't enough protection.

All it takes is a magic missile or a tiny bit of shooting and all of a sudden you don't get a look out sir roll.

brightblade
15-09-2011, 21:13
I tend to put him in with 25 eternal guard. With a bsb and a highborn. 5 in each rank. He sits in the second with a rhymers harp and divination orb.

Working well.

cyberspite
15-09-2011, 22:03
Yeah glade guard would be the normal choice, mainly because you will probably be taking them anyway so you're not having to spend any extra points. I know 90pts for some wardancers or scouts isn't a lot but wood elves need all the points they can get.

I wouldn't put her with 10 glade riders though, simply because that's a lot of points for a unit that still can't do anything.

Other left-field options would be, glamourweave and rhymers harp in the second rank of 12 wild riders with 2 nobles. Expensive but with lore of beasts would pack a punch.

Alternatively, life weaver with glamourweave, unicorn and moonstone with 6 treekin, for some teleporting fun.

Not exactly bunkers, and not exactly optimal either, but still fun and can spring a surprise.

I guess it depends how you intend playing and what lore you take. You really need to have a focus and plan everything around that to make it work.

popisdead
16-09-2011, 16:58
All it takes is a magic missile or a tiny bit of shooting and all of a sudden you don't get a look out sir roll.

Which is another point with using Fast Cav. Paying 260 points for 10 wounds (or 6 before you loose the LoS! roll) at T3 5+ save when that buys you nearly 22 Glade Guard.

slave01
16-09-2011, 18:37
Typically I will put him in a unit of 10 GG with a noble BSB with Banner of Swiftness allowing the unit to move quickly around the board as needed. I have yet to lose him in CC because his unit is shoot and run never getting into CC. Wand of the Wych Elm is a natural take and some type of talisman of protection whichever I can afford.

Jormi_Boced
16-09-2011, 20:12
I have played against a WE player that had her in Wildriders on a unicorn.

w3rm
17-09-2011, 01:41
My cousin runs hers solo on a horsie. She is so fast that she can avoid shooting if she needs to and be exactly where she needs to be.

Nocculum
17-09-2011, 21:09
The same can be said for Eagles, now you mention it - they have the added benefit of flying over terrain to stay hidden (given the flexibility of the Lore of Life, or indeed Beasts, and especially Loren).

Turtleking
18-09-2011, 01:48
Nocculum - your idea of wardancers is very interesting....

Does your spell weaver tend to die much? 10 model guard at 2500 scares the heck outta me.

cyberspite
18-09-2011, 04:14
The thing is wood elves don't have any bunkers, the closest thing would be a big unit of eternal guard with added characters so the weaver can sit in the second rank. But unless you were planning on taking them anyway it would be so expensive it sort of defeats the purpose.

So you really can't bunker your spellweaver, you have to be a bit more subtle than that and use speed and manoeuvrability instead. If your opponent is going all out to kill your weaver though, try the moonstone, use her as bait to pull him out of position and then teleport away.

Turtleking
18-09-2011, 23:30
Thanks Cyberspite!

popisdead
19-09-2011, 23:05
The thing is wood elves don't have any bunkers

Except units of EG or GG. Even just 10 is fairly mobile and less an attractive target to Stone Throwers or 6th spells.

the closest thing would be a big unit of eternal guard with added characters so the weaver can sit in the second rank. But unless you were planning on taking them anyway it would be so expensive it sort of defeats the purpose.

I am happy with my Spellweaver being in the front rank. If I'm going to let people charge my unit and not have a ward save (Rhymers Harp, Talisman of Preservation) or buff (+T4, Regen) that's a different issue.

You don't need to have your mage in the second rank to have him in a bunker.

cyberspite
20-09-2011, 21:54
Well I wouldn't really class GG as a bunker, and having the weaver in the front rank would be fine if you can guarantee getting that spell off. Otherwise it's a gamble as I wouldn't like to rely on a 5+ ward to save her.

That being said neither is a real bad option, I just wouldn't fancy the weaver still being there if either of them hit combat.

TheLionReturns
22-09-2011, 11:21
I run a Spell Weaver with the lore of beasts carrying the wand of wych elm and the talisman of protection. He sits in a wardancer unit.

Wardancers are a great bunker for a number of reasons. Being skirmishers they are mobile enough to move away from danger if needed and move to where the spellweaver is needed for area effect spells. They give a negative modifier to shooting and some ablative wounds as protection. They also pack a serious close combat punch even against enemy characters thanks to their initiative. Characters have to face killing blow attacks, whilst regular troops have to face the high volume. If the enemy wants to try and assassinate the spellweaver he needs to commit serious resources, and even then he has a 4+ ward save and a spell lore to boost his close combat prowess and resilience.

The only drawback is that you want the wardancers in close combat at times (normally into enemy flanks to tilt combats your way) whih is not necessarily where you want you mages. However, the ability to boost his combat ability and resilience as well as his ward save mean he is safe in the flank of most units, whilst there is always the option of him bailing out to join another unit before the wardancers get into combat.

If running a life weaver I would probably be tempted to put her in a large eternal guard or glade guard unit. This is mostly for the regen she can grant the unit from the signature spell.

popisdead
23-09-2011, 20:27
I have played against a WE player that had her in Wildriders on a unicorn.

I dont' think Unicorns have the Fast Cav rule do they?

badgeraddict
30-09-2011, 10:04
I have my Spellweaver standing around on his own behind my block of 6 Treekin.

He is equip with Lore of Life, Wand of Wych Elm and the Stone of Rebith. He's died once in around 14 games.

popisdead
30-09-2011, 21:53
He's died once in around 14 games.

With all respect that is shockingly good odds. Every time I see a lone mage "magic missile". Dead that turn.

goodz
01-10-2011, 06:48
i use 10-20 glade gaurd depending on size of enemy, if you enjoy your buffing spells lore of life and eternal guard can be fun, but i find trying to boost my EG to T5/7 and having my wizard in combat doesn't really work still dies too easy rhymers harp doesn't help either really against a dedicated combat unit

Nocculum
01-10-2011, 21:15
I run Lore of Beasts, so the Wyssan's Wildform boost and a ward save make him fairly versatile and flexible.

It also makes my opponent think twice before attacking ASF wardancers with STR5 :shifty:

10_minute_pie
02-10-2011, 18:56
20 GG with Flame banner, BSB, and Moonstone on the Wizard. Teleport out of harms way when the enemy deathstar gets too close. I was running him in a big combat wardancer unit, but that wasn't working too well, might try Lakarsgard's 5 Dancer idead

badgeraddict
02-10-2011, 20:24
With all respect that is shockingly good odds. Every time I see a lone mage "magic missile". Dead that turn.

With respect, you have not seen my Treekin!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314766_10150819793640018_713025017_20629037_126811 9615_n.jpg

popisdead
03-10-2011, 18:37
With respect, you have not seen my Treekin!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314766_10150819793640018_713025017_20629037_126811 9615_n.jpg

a-hahah! awesome!!! And a reasonable and cost effective way to make a unit filler that is fluffy and tactically beneficial :)

badgeraddict
03-10-2011, 22:53
a-hahah! awesome!!! And a reasonable and cost effective way to make a unit filler that is fluffy and tactically beneficial :)

You see how he survives so well now? :) I've since dropped the Stone of Rebirth in favour of the Seed of Rebirth.