PDA

View Full Version : The Urban War thread!

Pages : [1] 2

Luke
11-04-2006, 18:00
Ok, so I know Urban mammoth has its own forums and although they are fairly good, friendly and well moderated, they seem a bit infrequent.

I just want to know who here collects and which factions they collect. Army pics would be ace too.

Wanna see some of my stuff? Course you do :D
I recently brought the gamebox and within 2 days painted it all so I could play.
Heres my Viridian Marines. The colours in real are a light midnight blue but the photo washed out a bit.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/ViridianGroup.jpg
My syntha guys (and gal)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC00627.jpg

Taron
11-04-2006, 19:04
I have some Viridians gathering dust here.
I'll take some pictures of the painted stuff tomorrow, but until then, ladies and gentlemen, I proudly (well, not really) present my Viridian sniper veteran:

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5528/113zj.jpg

A really nice sculpt, but my painting doesn't do it justice.

Edit: And the picture also is spectacularly bad. I blame it on the camera.

Oh, and take a closer look at the base. I told you the stuff was gathering dust...

Edit2: Nearly forgot to mention that I really like the colour scheme of your Viridians, Luke. Definitely suits the gritty background.

Luke
11-04-2006, 21:47
Thank you :)

I think your sniper vet is fine. The paintjob is very clean and well shaded. And you show a nice range of contrast in the colours chosen.
the scuplt is great isnt it? I have had a look around and there are some absolutely amazing paintjobs doin the rounds. I may have to get myself one and give her a go :D

One of my "war photographer" pics. A colonial marine rushes a distracted Artemis biomech. She was trying to secure a strongpoint but ended up being shot to death, outnumbered 3 to 1.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC00638.jpg

I got a heck of a lot of urban scenery, I'll have to post some clear pics soon as I take some.

Taron
11-04-2006, 22:35
Sooo, I took some pictures and I think they turned out slightly better than the one of the sniper.

First, the sniper (http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9509/sniper3is.jpg) again.

Next, the Viridian special forces (http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9499/sf28lr.jpg).

Grunts! (http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1240/group13am.jpg)

A veteran colonial marine with some friends (http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4051/group37wd.jpg).

Col. Dash
12-04-2006, 04:04
I have never heard of this game, where is it from?

Luke
12-04-2006, 08:36
@ Taron: They are prety damn nice. I love the detailing on the Guass rifles. That beige works really well with the blue armour. The special forces, nice job there. I am trying to figure out if I want to get some and expand my viridians or whether I want to bulk the Syntha out instead. I find that the Viridians are more of a challenge though. In the last 3 games the sniper didnt even manage a single kill, even after scoring two DAM 7 hits in one game!

@ Col. Dash: You can find the official website here (http://www.urbanmammoth.com/) but I order my stuff from here (http://www.wargamesworkshop.co.uk/) as I am a skinflint and you save about 10 % :D

The rules set is amazing. Rather than the GW forumula of "you go, I go" instead everyone sets orders at the start of each turn and each player activates his models in the appropriate order. Its reactionary. Worth a look. I prefere it to 40k/gorkamorka/necromunda by a country mile.

Taron
12-04-2006, 08:54
@ Taron: They are prety damn nice. I love the detailing on the Guass rifles. That beige works really well with the blue armour. The special forces, nice job there. I am trying to figure out if I want to get some and expand my viridians or whether I want to bulk the Syntha out instead. I find that the Viridians are more of a challenge though. In the last 3 games the sniper didnt even manage a single kill, even after scoring two DAM 7 hits in one game!

That sbiper obviously is cursed! And we all know there's only one way to solve that problem - replace him with a fresh one, i.e. the veteran sniper. :p

As I didn't have the chance to play a single game yet, so I just buy the miniatures that visually appeal to me, and the special forces definitely are nice.
Next on the "to buy"-list are a veteran sergeant, a special forces sergeant, colonial marines in greatcoats, the "normal" snipers and maybe one of those shiny machine guns.

And I'm really looking forward to the new colonial marine sculpts they're working on at the moment. You simply can never have enough of 'em. :p

Luke
12-04-2006, 09:06
The new marines have shirts on right? From what I have seen they look absolutely amazing especially the one without a helmet. I may actually wait for these guys to come out and start a new viridian force based around them. We shall see.
Go here (http://urbanmammoth.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=2569) for wip pics of the new marines.

You should really try and find someone for a game. Its getting quite a large following.

I'm actually on a scenery builing fix at the moment. I'm using the hexagon and platformer sets, as well as the GW bulkhead sets and numerous barricades from wargamesworkshop and GW. One piece of advice, you need a lot of scenery as only the largest models have a true armour save. Though you can gain some quite hefty cover saves depending on how well you are hidden.

Taron
12-04-2006, 09:31
You should really try and find someone for a game. Its getting quite a large following.

Unfortunately I seem to be living right in the middle of nowhere concerning gaming (and, if I think about it, everything else). I'm lucky if I can get a game in every three months.
And if I want to play something new(God forbid!) I nearly have to force people to play. For example, I had my warmachine stuff lying around here for over half a year before I played my first game.

So somehow my focus mainly is on collecting/painting... ;)

While skimming the official forums I just noticed this:

13140 Colonial Marine HGR 3.00 4.50 $6.00

Sounds interesting... finally some man-portable fire support weapon for the Viridians.

Luke
12-04-2006, 09:40
Where are you based? Here in the Midlands (england, I do not know what nationality you are, though form your sig I would assume maybe french) there are a number of small gaming clubs and groups that cater for UW.

I myself am planning to set up a Games society (finally after 11 years! lol) Close to Tamworth/Nuneaton/cov/leicester/brum (yes I'm right in the middle of them all)

Taron
12-04-2006, 09:49
Where are you based? Here in the Midlands (england, I do not know what nationality you are, though form your sig I would assume maybe french) there are a number of small gaming clubs and groups that cater for UW.

I myself am planning to set up a Games society (finally after 11 years! lol) Close to Tamworth/Nuneaton/cov/leicester/brum (yes I'm right in the middle of them all)

Nah, the sig's the motto of house Atreides - I'm from Germany (although I live quite close to the border ;)).

I just came to the conclusion that I need to give the the Urban War rules a try really badly. What number of points would you recommend for the first couple of games?

erion
12-04-2006, 10:17
Taron, a "big" game of Urban War is 300 points.

Give yourself about 150-200 and you should get the basics down very quickly.

Personally, I have Syntha and Viridians here, and once I finish up painting what I have for those I'm going to add a third force, but I haven't decided which one yet.

Luke
12-04-2006, 11:40
Aye, so far I only have what came in the gamebox but have gotten numerous very different games out of them.
170 points a side, my fave mission was an assasination type mission we devised.

ASSASINATION!:
No turn limit
No "bottle tests" limit (ie 50% casualties)
AIM: for each side to eliminate the opposing leader. The first to do so wins.

This made for a very tactical game. I gave my Artemis a dedicated bodyguard Androsynth whilst my opponent left his Sergeant high and dry running scared for his life around the outskirts of a gas storage facility. In the end he was taken down by the chain gun on the pointman whilst the rest of his guys were creeping through the ruins on the far side of the board for some reason.

@ erion: the new VASA regulars are out, go for them, they look ace. My brother is thinking of getting them. The supressor sniper is awesome.

erion
12-04-2006, 12:36
yeah, I like the new Vasa. I also like the Junker legions. And the Koralon.

Gladiators and Triad really don't do anything for me.

Luke
12-04-2006, 12:40
Don't get me wrong they have some nice models, possibly some of the best but a glance over the rules shows me they are nothing too special.

I am not a huge fan of the Koralon, only being a relative n00b to UW (and having no experience of the Void 1.1 universe) I do not understand their exact place in UW. I know they are the reason Iskandria is in turmoil but are they really that bad?;)

the models need some work if you ask me.

Taron
12-04-2006, 12:48
I just threw together a list for my Viridians (200 points):

1 Colonial Marine Sergeant (Cal 2)
4 Colonial Marines (Cal 0)
1 Sniper (Cal 1)
1 Special Forces Soldier (Cal 1, Camouflage)

Since I have exactly zero experience with the game, I'm dependent on your advise. ;)

Luke
12-04-2006, 12:55
My advice? I would say make the sergeant cal 1 and make the sniper cal 2 (I believe it is possible) as the sniper really depends on being able to roll for his cd checks to give him a better chance of hitting.

trust me, 6+ or even 5+ doesnt cut it. Plus remember, as a marksman, when you roll a clear 2 points over your required "to hit" roll you gain 1 extra damage point to a shot. Think about it, if you pass 2 CD checks and get a 4+ to hit, then roll a 10, thats a whole 3 extra Dam you get! Dam 8 sniper rifle hit? YES please :D

In my experience, hitting is easy, damaging is not.

Taron
12-04-2006, 13:01
That doesn't work out points-wise, cal 2 costs 7 points for the sergeant but 13 for the sniper, and the list is exactly 200 points as-is.
However, I could drop the Special Forces Camouflage - I don't have an idea how useful that ability is.

Edit: Nice Avatar, by the Way. ;)

Luke
12-04-2006, 13:28
Lol, cheers. The camo works only at long range I believe which could be quite useful in open terrain and killzones (such as street junctions and distant rooftops) however since the weapon is only medium ranged you have to get fairly close to your enemy anyway.

Drop the camo. The only reason to take special forces seems to be the high-ish CD and the +1 to hit at short anyway. PLus the carbine is one handed allowing you to take a combat blade and gain an extra attack in cc.

Taron
12-04-2006, 13:40
My main motivation for using the Special Forces are the great models.
That, and the fact that they are rather cheap for cal 1 troops, have a CD that allows them to put that cal to use and that rather nice +1 to hit at short range.

Luke
12-04-2006, 13:44
They are indeed very nice models. I am tempted into getting a few, but for the moment I may try out either a few shock marines or an urban interdict.

erion
12-04-2006, 13:57
Go for the urban interdict.

Jumping Charges are crazy...

Taron
12-04-2006, 14:46
Jumping Charges are crazy...

Jumping Charges? The Urban Interdict isn't a Jump Trooper but a Drop Trooper... or did you mean something different? :confused:

erion
12-04-2006, 15:01
Sorry I'm not sure what I was thinking of then.

Luke
12-04-2006, 20:52
I do not have the relevant info regarding a drop trooper, but I just checked the stats and it has no jump pack.

I would buy the magazine but apparently they have plans to combine all 5 into one big book so I'll wait for that.

erion
12-04-2006, 21:50
As will all things Mammothy, do not go about holding your breath.

Luke
13-04-2006, 11:04
They may be putting up some preview pictures on the UM forums either today or tommorow.

I was going to place an order today, after talking through the special forces with you, I may be persuaded into getting some of those. The stats do not sound too bad to be honest. Its getting them close enough to use effectively which will be the problem.

Taron
13-04-2006, 11:30
They may be putting up some preview pictures on the UM forums either today or tommorow.

I was going to place an order today, after talking through the special forces with you, I may be persuaded into getting some of those. The stats do not sound too bad to be honest. Its getting them close enough to use effectively which will be the problem.

I hope we'll get a picture of the colonial marine with heavy gauss rifle.

As for the special forces, camouflage should help to get them to the enemy, but it's pretty darn expensive. If you buy camouflage for two of them, you could get a third one instead.
Time for an ingame-test... (with a bit of luck I'll get hold of my regular opponent today and press him into service).

Luke
13-04-2006, 13:08
Cool, I hope that goes well for you. You need to play this game :D

In the games we have played, getting into cc is phenomenally hard even with plenty of cover to hide behind. Then again we have no cc orientated troops save for mayb the Artemis.

I dont know what to do. I'll probably end up buying a 200 pt triad force :D Though those androsynths with grape-guns and battleshields looke pretty nice and would give me an excuse to try and make it into combat.

edit---------

Just placed an order for a basic saurian rider, the sniper veteran (the female one :D) and a pack of 2 special forces. Also decided to try some vallejo paints for the first time ever so I'll see how they are.

jazzdude78
13-04-2006, 18:50
Dont forget the Nyss and Hercules biomechs for CC fun though yea it is a chore to get to CC I just rush was a snapfire action as you could then rush a few extra in inches then use the cal to charge in

Luke
13-04-2006, 21:16
Dont forget the Nyss and Hercules biomechs for CC fun though yea it is a chore to get to CC I just rush was a snapfire action as you could then rush a few extra in inches then use the cal to charge in

Thats the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid. You have to use your nut :D

Luke
14-04-2006, 14:02
Hot potato! UM have given us a preview of their MAY releases. Go here (http://urbanmammoth.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=2661&st=15) to see them. Check that second artemis out, frikkin beautiful model.
Word on the grapevine is that the compiled magazine "rulebook" will be released in september of this year.

Also, I brought UM magazine 3 & 4 and also brought 2 shock marines :D

Taron
14-04-2006, 14:44
The colonial marine with HGR is a must-have for me.

The rest of the pictures leaves me undecided - should I take Syntha or Junkers as a second Faction (or maybe both? No, don't even think about it... ;))?

Luke
14-04-2006, 15:12
Having never played with a HGR i couldnt say but it does look a bit tasty at short range stat wise.
Go Syntha, they have some new heavy walkers coming out soon. A new prometheus and I think a new macro-synth that look amazing.

I discovered I had a hidden "cache" of 8 viridian marines I intended to use for my IG army but forgot about. So I can expand my Viridians quite quickly.

I think I also need a few more pieces of smaller terrain.

Taron
14-04-2006, 16:08
Hmm, I don't really like the current Synths... and then there's the fact that Junkers will get dune raiders somewhere in the near future. And they already have those Exosuits.
On the other hand the Syntha Biomechs all look great.

Definitely not an easy decision...

On a completely unrelated note: I really hope the Viridians will get another saurian/some kind of light vehicle in the next few months. Now that would be awesome.

Keller
14-04-2006, 18:02
Hi fellas,

I've read through this thread and must confess, I have a growing interest in the game. I do have some questions though.

Approximately how long does a typical game take?
Does the game play well with more than two people?
Is there a good campaign system for it, so that you can level up guys or build a bigger force through the game?

Looking through the store and website, there are only really two factions that appeal to me. First is the Viridians, which you seem to like. Second is the Junker Legionaries. Are the Legionaries seperate from the Gladiators? I noticed they are both considered part of the Junker Empire, so I was wondering if you can include some gladiators in a legionary force, such as the Pit Beasts and such.

Thanks!

jazzdude78
14-04-2006, 18:03
Maybe theyll bring in revamped versions of the jaguar (basically a 1-2 man hovercraft) that or terrasaurs

if you dont like the current synths what do you think of the old school Void ones?

they work just as well and are usually fairly cheap when you find em (ebay)

Taron
14-04-2006, 18:25
I don't like most of the old void range - including the synths and the jaguar strike crafts - due to its lack of detail.

But I also didn't like the old grav bike and think the new one's really good, so definitely like to see new jaguars.

Luke
14-04-2006, 18:26
Hey there. I'm kind of new to it myself but I can help you as much as I can.

An average game can take about an hour. We got three games played in 3 hours one night.

As for playing well with more than 2 people, I have no idea as we have not tried it yet, but the rules are sound and designed to work with many players at once. The supplements even suggest plenty of multiplayer scenarios.

There are campaign systems but I just got the relevant publications today and havent really looked through them yet :D

You can indeed take gladiator models in a Legionary force, also you can take Triad models in a Vasa regular force. But you cannot take more gladiators/triads than the legionary/vasa reg models etc etc.

@ jazzdude78, dont tell anyone I told you this ;) but UM are planning to re-relase and re-vamp Void 1.1 using UW models as a basis for the new models and you can also use UW models in the Void armies. So at some point I wouldnt be surprised if we saw every unit type re-released.

Though I think the Jaguar is too large and out of place for an urban environment personally.

Taron
14-04-2006, 18:35
Though I think the Jaguar is too large and out of place for an urban environment personally.

The old Jaguar wasn't that big to start with, and if the resculpt would be a smaller, sleeker design (as with the grav bike), it wouldn't look out of place in an urban environment.

But I also wouldn't mind if UM just gave the Viridians a completely new light vehicle. ;)

Luke
14-04-2006, 20:43
I guess. I couldn't hazard a guess as to what they could make.

What do you reckon to my wip shock marines? I love these models.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/shock2.jpg

Keller
14-04-2006, 22:15
Hey there. I'm kind of new to it myself but I can help you as much as I can.

An average game can take about an hour. We got three games played in 3 hours one night.

As for playing well with more than 2 people, I have no idea as we have not tried it yet, but the rules are sound and designed to work with many players at once. The supplements even suggest plenty of multiplayer scenarios.

There are campaign systems but I just got the relevant publications today and havent really looked through them yet :D

You can indeed take gladiator models in a Legionary force, also you can take Triad models in a Vasa regular force. But you cannot take more gladiators/triads than the legionary/vasa reg models etc etc.

Thanks for the info!

I am going to have to talk to the group and see if anyone would be interested in starting this up. I have tons of post-apoc terrain I have been working on which would be great for this game, so costs would be minimal.

I'm glad to see that you can mix the Gladiators into the Legionaries forces. That is probably the faction I will be playing, though I like the Colonial Marine feel for the Virivians, especially with their diverse selection of ranged weapons. I'll have to see if I can get the rules before committing to either faction...

There looks to be plenty of options to keep everyone interested. Aliens, Cyborgs, humans; whatever you are interested there is something for. Looks like something my group would go for.

Thanks again. I'll be following the thread now.

jazzdude78
14-04-2006, 23:00
Yea i heard about the revamped Void I think the plan was calling it Metropolis or something

Great looking Shock Marines they happen to be one of the new models I like better than the old ones (actually I like the most of the new Viridians more than the old ones)

Luke
15-04-2006, 08:52
Thanks :) Lets see how they do in combat...providing I can get them across the battlefield un-scathed. Luckily I have a Saurian rider coming in the mail so that should act as a large but inexpensive (23 pts I think) fire magnet allowing me ample time to move the shock marines unmolested into combat.

On their website I think they officially reffered to the re-vamped Void as "Big Battle Urban War"

You can find the relevant info here (http://urbanmammoth.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=1829). However it was announced in June of last year and they set the date for release as april 2006, along with the compendium for Urban war :rolleyes:. However from what I can gather from my sources they are on track for a release within the year and set to be a credible rival to 40k. Heres hoping!

Taron
15-04-2006, 09:00
You can find the relevant info here (http://urbanmammoth.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=1829). However it was announced in June of last year and they set the date for release as april 2006, along with the compendium for Urban war :rolleyes:. However from what I can gather from my sources they are on track for a release within the year and set to be a credible rival to 40k. Heres hoping!

I think one of the Johns mentioned September as the realease date for the compiled Urban War rules. I'll look if I can find the according post.

Luke
15-04-2006, 09:12
Word on the grapevine is that the compiled magazine "rulebook" will be released in september of this year.

me yesterday :D though I'm sure the site mentions somewhere. I can't recall seeing an offcial date on the UW forums, merely a rough estimate as to vaguely when it will be released "later this year"

Taron
15-04-2006, 09:35
me yesterday :D though I'm sure the site mentions somewhere. I can't recall seeing an offcial date on the UW forums, merely a rough estimate as to vaguely when it will be released "later this year"

God, I'm getting old... :cries:

Luke
15-04-2006, 10:44
Out of interest, how old are you? Because I have only met adult gamers... or at least those over 18. It would be interesting to see.
I would estimate 70% of GW customer base is under 18 whilst so far UW seems to be the other way.
I'm 22, my mate is 23 and my brother is 20 and we all play. And from what I can gather we are pretty young compared to most UW players!

As an aside, I built my first 300 point Viridian list last night. It goes a little something like this:

Colonial marine Sergeant CAL 2
Shock marine CAL 1
Shock marine CAL 1
Sniper CAL 1
Colonial marine CAL 1
Saurian Rider CAL 0
Colonial marine CAL 0
Colonial marine CAL 0
Colonial marine CAL 0
Colonial marine CAL 0
Colonial marine CAL 0

Total 300 points exactly
11 figures

What do you reckon?

jazzdude78
15-04-2006, 17:01
Well I woulda been under 18 when i got into Urban War but thats because I wanna say I was 17 at the time the game came out

as for the list looks good though personally Id try and get the saurian to be cal 1 simply so it can move faster

sidenote heres a semi official blurb on metropolis
http://urbanmammoth.invisionzone.com//index.php?s=&showtopic=2379&view=findpost&p=24514

Luke
15-04-2006, 17:24
I suppose I could drop the vet marine down to cal 0 to fund it but he has proved himself in the past. Or take a marine out and put the saurian up to cal 0.

Good news on Metropolis then! I can't wait. I have to get the word out somehow. I wish Urban Mammoth would market its games better :(

Taron
15-04-2006, 20:05
Out of interest, how old are you? Because I have only met adult gamers... or at least those over 18.

I think it's vital to differentiate here... I'm well over 18 but wouldn't consider myself to be very adult. ;)
But law says I am, so I won't object. :p

But back to topic:
You could set the sergeant's cal to 1 and the veteran colonial marines cal to 0 which would allow you to raise the sniper's cal by 1 while staying within the limit (again, exactly 300 points).
I remember you tellling me that a higher cal really helps them snipers. ;)

Luke
15-04-2006, 21:08
I may do that. I just liked the idea of my sergeant being the most elite of the lot :D

jazzdude78
16-04-2006, 00:23
Its hard to market a previously dead game
at least the US has a distributor now

Luke
16-04-2006, 07:25
Its hard to market a previously dead game

That's why they are starting from scratch and building an entirely new game. new rules, new models and a new name.

Luke
16-04-2006, 19:44
Yo players! Finished this bad boy this morning. Kind of a painting practice, a display piece. I did it for the base really :D

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/colonialmarine.jpg

Keller
16-04-2006, 22:06
Very nice, Luke! That model looks fantstic. I love the detail of the mask and gun, especially. I hope you will have a whole army of models like that, it would look great on the tabletop.

Luke
17-04-2006, 07:13
Thank you Keller but I am far too lazy and impatient a painter to do that. My gaming guys are just quick. i paint 4 in the time it took to paint this one.

Starfall
17-04-2006, 23:20
So, i'm thinking about getting the starter box set, becaue what I've heard about these rules so far sounds prertty good. But i'm wondering, what types of orders do you give your units, and how do the "order levels" work? Is it simple stuff like Shoot, Charge, etc, or is it more involved than that? Thanks.

jazzdude78
18-04-2006, 07:25
Well you have three major orders which in turn decide the order you activate your units in:
1.Over-watch
2.Snap-fire
3.Lock-fire
in turn each of those three orders dictate the actions the model can preform in the turn
ex. with the Over-watch order the model can activate and can either preform a disrupting shot, evade, counter-charge, fight, or break-off
while the lock-fire order can either rush, make an aimed shot, evade, counter charge, fight or break-off

hopefully that made some sense

Luke
18-04-2006, 10:48
Its also not a matter of "My turn, then your turn".

Each player assigns one of the 3 orders (above) to his models in secret. This can be with tokens or written in the handy spaces on the roster sheets. then they all reveal them at the start of the game turn.

Players roll for initiative to see who starts "activating" first.

1: all models with overwatch become active. Their actions happen at various stages in any phase, usually in reaction to enemy activity.

2: all models with snap-fire are activated. One player activates one of his models, then the next player does one of his, then the next player and so on. When all players have activated one of their snap fire models (if any) play goes back to the first player and so on untill all snap fire models have become active.

3: same goes for lock fire. Going last may look like a disadvantage but you actually get better modifiers and better actions to represent the fact that although you are not tactically flexible, you are concentrating on doing ONE thing really well.

Hope that was of some help. there really is nothing difficult abuot this game. At the start it does seem a lot to take in but once you have played one or 2 games it really does make perfect sense. And you'll also wonder why all wargames are not played like this!

BTW, just purchased a second saurian rider today :D this one has a HGR on top for that added close range punch.

Starfall
18-04-2006, 14:42
Thanks for the info, guys.

Hope that was of some help. there really is nothing difficult abuot this game. At the start it does seem a lot to take in but once you have played one or 2 games it really does make perfect sense. And you'll also wonder why all wargames are not played like this!

Oh, belive me, I'm not worried about too much to take in. :) I was actually worried that the orders would be dumbed down to something like Move, Shoot, and Assault, with nothing else really happening. I've been looking for a sci-fi skirmish game with a fair amount of tactical flexibility, and it sounds like this one is pretty close to what I want. Plus I liked Void way back, even though I never played it, so that helps.

I also discoverd I could download Urban War #1 from the Warstore for free, so that helped a lot too. No real rules, but they've got a nice reference sheet that explains a lot of what you guys are saying. I'll probably go ahead and order the starter box at least. Does anyone know what the rulebook in the box is? Is it just Urban War #0?

erion
18-04-2006, 14:48
Yep. Urban war zero is what's in the starter. Basic Rules plus all the stats for the included models, and even some that aren't included.

Just avoid playing with the included "hexagon" terrain until after you've got the rules read and the models at least assembled. It can be somewhat addicitive.

Luke
18-04-2006, 14:54
Yeah the main rules as erion said are in "0" with issues 1 through 4 being additions to the force lists and scenarios/painting guides/bat reps etc etc.

If you want to collect vasa regulars or junker legionaries then you will need issue "4" as that is the issue with the basic force list in it.

Trust me, get as much scenery down as you can as only the biggest units get an armour save. This helps portray a more tactical and realistic game. I'm sure some real army vets here will tell you that if your hit in real life, you are out of the fight.

Unique1
18-04-2006, 18:28
Hi, I'm thinking of getting into either Urban War or Hordes, so I have a few questions too.

1) Are the rules similar in any ways to 40k? Is it like Kill Team?
2) Hom much does an average force cost?

erion
18-04-2006, 18:39
1) Not in the slightest. Even down to the dice used (d10 instead of d6). I should Clarify. You do actually roll dice, and Rolls to hit / wound are made against a chart, but that's where the similiarities end.
2) You can get a pretty solid 300-point force in a boxed deal for any of the original five factions for about $70 (less if you don't go direct). Adding a few options to give your force some flexibility will probably take you in the Neighborhood of $100-$150.

Luke
18-04-2006, 18:40
1: Kill team sucks, Its nothing like kill team. UW has real rules and real missions :D

2: My brother has just spent 35 quid on a 300 point force. That said, he did plump for lots of hyper elite troops :D. 300 points is the average. 12 models including one or two big battlesuits/saurians/walkers. Also, UW do 5 different "full force 300" sets for 35 each. Perfect. I have 400 points worth so I can mix and match. You should never have to spend more than 40 quid per army. the game box contains 2 seperate 170 point forces. one for Viridian, one for Syntha.

erion
18-04-2006, 18:42
Actually they have five sets at 300 points. Don't forget Koralon.

Supposedly Junker Legions and Vasa Regulars are also on the way.

Bardock
18-04-2006, 20:12
2: My brother has just spent 35 quid on a 300 point force. That said, he did plump for lots of hyper elite troops :D.

just ordered 300 points of vasa regulars, the models are ******* sweet they appeal alot to me i suggest people check them out if they havn't already.

black legion sergeant cal2 60 points
2 archangels cal1 72 points
sniper cal1 34 points
kv72 wolverine cal1 45 points
5 Suppressors with Gauss Rifle cal 0 95 points

Luke
18-04-2006, 21:11
Bwuhaha! This is why I love the Viridians, our Snipers go up to CAL 2 meaning we have more chance of hitting, and more chance of wounding with our marksman ability!

Luke
19-04-2006, 08:38
Hey ho. Nearly finishd the first of my two Saurian riders. All I have to do to this one is finish painting the marine and base him.

Saurian with Heavy Gauss Rifle
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC00690.jpg

If you are interested you can field an entire "army" of these guys as you can take the basic ones instead of your compulsory marines. Your close support comes in the form of the guy above, and your sergeant can be replaced by a Saurian sergeant.

Unique1
19-04-2006, 18:57
wow the models actually look a darn sight better sculpted that I though, I may just pick up the rulebook and a few viridians and see if I can start a following in my local club, also, how long does a 300pt battle take? As we are limited to 1hr 25mins but in reality its about 1hr 15mins. Also, Is 40k terrain compatible?

jazzdude78
19-04-2006, 20:53
You can play in about an hour and 15 min but probably not as you start out (probably some people learn real fast)
yes 40k terrain is perfectly fine

Luke
19-04-2006, 20:57
As said, it depends on how well you know the rules. The terrain issue is fine, of course a lot of 40k terrain is gothic "tat" but i suppose you could say you were fighting in some old cheesy monestary :D

I'll post some pictures of my terrain later.

Btw, you Boys should really get yourself an avatar :D

Unique1
20-04-2006, 06:33
Sorry to keep asking questions, but how nice are the model sculpts, and are they metal, and how do they go together, lots of filing, or do they fit well?

jazzdude78
20-04-2006, 07:22
alot o them are one piece and those with multiple parts tend to go together well exception being the dragonflies wings they sorely need to be pinned IMHO but they are improving the wing joins on the new models
Yes they are metal
From my experience with both I-kore stuff to Urban Mammoth they have some of the cleanest casts I have ever seen though that doesnt mean mistakes can happen

As for how nice the sculpts are thats a matter of taste really few dislike the majority of the UW Viridian line, some hated the old Void lines, and the new Junkers (the gladiators) have been sort of a hit or miss with most people

Luke
20-04-2006, 07:53
Agreed. Its personal taste. Though I find the Viridian range personally to be the best :D

The attention to detail is much higher than GW figures on the whole but the model ranges do have its dogs. Though to be fair I have grown to love 99% of the models. What you have to remember is that these guys do not have 30+ years of experience and a highly funded design team. And yet they still belt out GW quality models :D

The metal they use seems a little softer than GW if you ask me, its easier to work with and easier to clean. Not that the majority of models need that much cleaning, certainly not as much as your average GW figure.

edit-----------

cant remember if this has been mentioned or not, but I was told that come third quarter 2006, UW models will come with a stat card in the blister! How good is that!

erion
20-04-2006, 12:58
I hadn't heard about the start cards. Nice!

Do you know if we are going to be able to get the cards separately for figures we already own?

jazzdude78
20-04-2006, 20:09
the Urban MAMMOTH forum has a downloads section with the stat cards availible they were originally just a fan made tool

Luke
20-04-2006, 21:18
they do indeed but are so rife with typos I wouldn't trust them :D

I just write my roster up myself anyway. Helps me to find my way around my force better imho.

Luke
21-04-2006, 14:50
Finshed! Saurian rider 1 of 2 completed.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/saurianfinish.jpg

And here is the group shot of my force so far (- a veteran marine who does not figure in my new list) on one of my many many pieces of Urban terrain.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/Group2.jpg

jazzdude78
22-04-2006, 09:37
Looks great man!

Luke
23-04-2006, 06:55

Just brought a second pointman for my syntha and 2 androsynths with grape guns and battleshields. Also decided that my showcase army will be Gladiators and so I bought the excellent Myrmillo model shown here (http://www.wargamesworkshop.co.uk/Images%5CProductImages%5C13203.jpg)

Unique1
23-04-2006, 16:31
Another Question.

Can I purchase the rulebook seperately?
if so, where?

Luke
23-04-2006, 16:36
Issue "0"?

yes you can. you can get it here (http://www.urbanmammoth.com/acatalog/) in the urban war section (under magazines) but I do recomend the starter box as it has 2 good sized forces in it, some wicked scenery kit bits, dice and the rules. Plus some of the models are unique to the box only.

Oh, my mate found a copy of issue "0" at our local hobby shop.

Unique1
23-04-2006, 18:29
Thanks for the heads up, because I'm trying to get some intrest at me local school club, as quite a few people have been forced out of GW by prices.

so 40 for a good size army is very appealing to them

Luke
23-04-2006, 20:20
Good man. Always nice to hear growing support for this fantastic game. In under one month I have built 2 X 300pt armies with figures to spare and started a third.

:D

Unique1
24-04-2006, 06:38
Thanks, I'm prob/definately doing Viridians and maybe syntha.

Goq Gar
24-04-2006, 15:49
Sorry to but into your convo, but urban warfare has always been a favorite topic of mine, if you have a link I could follow to find out more about this apparently amazing game, please PM ME! Thx

Sleazy
24-04-2006, 17:53
Hey guys, if any of you have a Travelling Man store nearby they have reduced ALL Urban War blisters to 99p each!

I have bought a huge Triad force, a Koralon force and various other models (saurians, Synta heavy walkers, militia etc.

Will post a couple of pics of what I've painted.

Sleazy
24-04-2006, 17:59
heres some Triads, sorry about the flash obscuring the Dragonfly, will try to get a better one.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/Picture017.jpg

Luke
24-04-2006, 18:09
Nice! How do they play? i always thought they would be a bit vunerable seeing as most of them are close ranged.

Like the contrast wit the black.

Sleazy
24-04-2006, 19:01
No idea, I havent had a game yet. Just liked the look of the Triads, when I bought them i hadnt looked at the rules and just bought loads of minis.
My Triads consist of:

1 Gang leader
6 Dragonflies
2 Dradonfly Veterans
4 Retainers w/ rifles
4 Hatamoto w/ katanas
4 Hatamoto w/ naginata
1 Dragon launcher
1 Shogun Oni

As you see it turns out thats far too much but it means I can mix and match (though I cant see how I can ever use 8 Dragonflies!!).

Will get some pics of my Koralons up too.

Luke
24-04-2006, 19:09
well when "metropolis" comes out, you can field them as a unit I should imagine :D thats what I intend to do with all my viridians.

Can't wait to see your Koralons.

Sleazy
24-04-2006, 20:01
some Koralons, got more Brood to paint and a few hybrids but you can get the colour scheme I'm going for, again apologies for the poor picture,

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/Picture008.jpg

Luke
24-04-2006, 21:43
very nice indeed, love the glossy black, very giger-esque. I would love to play koralon, maybe after I finish my 300pt syntha and 300 point showcase gladiators :D

jazzdude78
26-04-2006, 08:22
Looks good man particularly like the Koralons as I see less and less of them as people pick up syntha and viridians

Sleazy
26-04-2006, 09:38
This thread has really revitalised my interest in painting the stack of UW stuff I bought. Have just done (probably gonna add further detail somewhere down the line)....

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/Picture011.jpg

Junkers Exosuit, slightly converted, will add a logo to the banner when I can think of one. Considering using this as an Inquisitor in 40k wearing and ancient suit of power armour.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/Picture012.jpg

Triad Dragon Launcher.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/Picture013.jpg

Triad Gang Leader and Retainer.

Luke
26-04-2006, 16:07
Nice work Sleazy. Especially like that retainer.

Out of interest, has anyone sent off for their FREE triad leader yet?

Unique1
26-04-2006, 17:07
Hey guys, managed to yoink somebody into playing Koralons. I am probably going to arrange a joint order (just to make sure he gets into it :)) and my army will be the Viridians or Syntha, but the new Vasa seem very tempting.

Luke
26-04-2006, 17:53
Tell me about it! My best mate AND my brother both have a lot of vasa Regular stuff :D

I might power play my Syntha and put these Soviet/Eldar wannabe's in their place ;)

jazzdude78
27-04-2006, 00:54
sadly Ive yet to get around to sending away for my free retainer
I really need to as well considering its practically the whole reason Im playing triads

Luke
27-04-2006, 07:37
Hmm, I think for me it's lack of stamps and time. I would have to go buy a stamp to send the coupon away and its just not something I remember to get everytime I am out of the house.

BTW, Bardock got his entire VASA force through the post yesterday. The wolverine is one huge chunk of metal and the sculpts are pretty frikkin sweet, especially on the archangels and the sniper.

I still have 2 special forces, 1 saurian, 2 androsynths, 1 pointman (my second!) and a Myrmillo to paint :D

Havent had the time though as when I havent been sloging my guts out at work I've been painting up some GW on commision for my local store.

ankellagung
29-04-2006, 02:34
What do you get the free retainer with?

jazzdude78
29-04-2006, 10:08
when you purchase issue "0" you can send away for one

Luke
29-04-2006, 12:30
Hey ho! Just started my third 300 point force. Here are the first 2 minis:
Brutus: A Cal 1 Myrmillo
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/brutus.jpg

Maximo: A Cal 1 Provocator with pole arm and Castigator flame thrower
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/maximo.jpg

Veru quick paintjobs here I'm afraid. I was going for masses of troops but instead just decided to make them look dirty and greasy.

jazzdude78
29-04-2006, 21:46
looks great
also helpful those are two of my favorite sculpts from the gladiators line

Luke
30-04-2006, 07:39
Cheers. I think the gladiator line has the most character. I havent played them yet but by the sounds of it they are very fun to play. With their self destructing flame throwers and plenty of grenades. Plus they are cheap in points so you can field loads too.
My list has 4 provocators in it :D

Brush your teeth
13-05-2006, 22:39
ok, ive recently bought a bunch of urban war minis
2 viridian marines blisters and 1 viridian marine veteran blister, they are planned for use with 40k mainly but i just thought i'd see how well they would work in the actual game and how many points it would be so if anyone can tell me it would be appreciated.

also as im not to familiar with the miniture range im just wondering if the viridians have any models that would pass for storm trooper special weapons.

cheers

Brush your teeth
15-05-2006, 18:39
ok, ive come up with a test model, painted quite basicly at the moment but the basic colours are all there. no points for guessing which PS2 game inspired me.
also its been put on a 40k base so it matches my guardsmen and so i can use it in games against rules laywers, still needs to be based though,ill probably go with urban rubble.

ive got plans to get about 750pts of these guys for use in 40k (inspired by lukes guard army :D) but i will take up urban war as well.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/1990ainslieDuncan/IMG_0901_edited.jpg

C&C appreciated

cheers

Luke
15-05-2006, 18:54
Hey not bad! Sorry I didnt see your earlier post. I'll get you those points later. I recomend for UW only taking your minimum amount of basic troops (your 4 compulsory colonial marines) and filling up on some extra tasty models such as the snipers or shock marines.

I don't play the ps2 (or any console tbh) so I couldnt say :D

Glad to hear my UW inspired IG army (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Imperial%20guard/) inspired you to start a similar army.

Brush your teeth
15-05-2006, 19:42
yeah, i really like that army of yours it looks great, also ive been planning to do a grenadeir army for ages, so when i saw the UW models at the falkirk convention i just went for it, also looking at your army have you got any pics of the special weapons? (i think i see meltaguns in there)

cheers

EDIT: also the game was killzone, the helghast troopers (pic in avatar) in it look pretty similar to these models

Luke
15-05-2006, 20:28
I do not have any close ups yet but i managed to convert 2 plasma guns, 2 melta guns and a flamer including fuel tank that are very passable.

I will get you some pics for later tonight maybe.

boogle
18-05-2006, 16:29
how does this game play out? is it similar to Necromunda?

Luke
18-05-2006, 16:36
Well........

the ruleset is totally different with not even the dice sharing a common trait. Model activation is order based rather than turn based so it plays a but more like =][=

But it is skirmish level and there are numerous modifiers in place which ensure a high level of tactica is employed. It is easy to kill a soldier....if he were standing in the open on his own, but the rules rewards logical tactical choices and sensible decisions rather than 40k style gung-ho charging into the breach style combat. Cover is a must. I doubt soldiers over in Irag run around like headless chickens out in the open so why should these guys?

Hope that has been some help.

boogle
18-05-2006, 16:40
Thanks, i love the Viridian Models.

I'm guessing Viridian and Syntha are primarilly Shooty, VASA a good mix of both, and Junkers and Koralon CC heavy?

Luke
18-05-2006, 17:23
You can tailor any faction towards a specific role but as you suggested, that is what the factions are geared towards. Though the Viridians probably have the best assault troops in the game in the form of the Shock marines which are rock solid in an assault. Plus the Viridian snipers are the most effective in the game with loads of ace rules.

Sleazy
19-05-2006, 20:15
hey Luke, liking the Viridian IG army

Thats kinds the (long term) idea I have with my Triads, i think loadsa rifle retainers as guardsmen led by hatamoto and dragon launchers would make an amazing oriental themed IG army (obv with some nicely painted chimeras etc).

What shall i do with my masses of Dragonflies? far too nice a model to leave out... Elysians?

oh, btw I bought some Viridian blisters for 99p each! so I'm planning to paint em up soon, will post pics.

Luke
19-05-2006, 21:45
99p a pop? nice one. I would love to see that Army come together. Its a shame more people dont do this kind of thing.

boogle
19-05-2006, 21:46
Sleazy, where did you get the 99p blisters?

Gen.Steiner
20-05-2006, 00:42
OK, just had a skim-read of this thread, as it is late and I am tired.

However, I'm (yet another) Viridian 'player' - I use the term loosely, as I am yet to get a game, despite having been buying since issue 0 came out (heh, actually bought it from the Urban Mammoth shop in Edinburgh). My mate, who lives in Edinburgh, does Syntha. We will, eventually, get a game...

Off the top of my head, this is what I have:

Officer (well, female sergeant with the pistol and greatcoat),
Vet. Sgt with rifle,
Sgt with pistol,
8 Marines (6 regular, 2 veteran),
3 Snipers (2 regular, one veteran);
4 Special Forces.

First off: Is this enough for a decent 'learn-the-rules' type game?
Secondly: Am I mad when I say I'd like an under-strength Marine Company reinforced with Shock Marines, Spec Ops, Saurian Riders, and Urban Interdicts? As it is what I have at the moment is barely a patrol! :D

Lots of great minis on show here, which is giving me a motive to actually paint what I have, as opposed to yet more Guardsmen. I especially like the Koralon done by Sleazy!

Sleazy
20-05-2006, 07:37
Sleazy, where did you get the 99p blisters?

Travelling Man in Newcastle, they had all UW blisters half price for ages then about a month ago reduced the remainder to 99p.

Last i looked they only had loads of Koralon left

boogle
20-05-2006, 07:46
hmm, although Koralon aren't my favourite, 10 for a decent sized force doesn'tsem too bad, have they still got stock of other stuff or was it a 'sell it all until it's gone' sale?

BTW does the game play like Void 1.1 or are there major differences (i have the Void 1.1 Gamebox and have read the rules, i just wondered if this is 'Necromunda' to 1.1's '40K'

Sleazy
20-05-2006, 08:15
you could describe it like that but it plays nicer than Void.

I think there're just clearing it all out. but at 99p for a Brood master you cant go wrong!

I've got a Koralon force and they paint up really nice in a Tyranid kinda way. plus seems quite dangerous in the game, they gave my Triads a right kicking.

boogle
20-05-2006, 08:31
Might just head up there today and see what, if anything they have left (wish i knew about it a few weeks ago, i woud have gotten myself some Junkers and Viridians)

Luke
21-05-2006, 16:22
Need some feedback on a possible mission guys.

OK so We now have three X 300 point forces ready to rock and roll. Syntha, Viridian and VASA regulars. We have a 3 by 4 urban table and enough urban-industrial scenery to prety much cover every last inch including a big frag off radar dish, some storage silos and numerous factory units.

I intend to get a three way battle going but the problem is I am stuck for ideas on the scenario we could use.

perhaps:

The VASA scum are trying to upload vital launch codes to a satellite in orbit which if succesful will launch a small nuclear warhead at an important Viridian Strategic site. The Viridians must attempt to stop the upload within 6 turns or they lose. Seeing an opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone, the Syntha attack in the hope of crippling the enemy forces by targetting key individuals within both factions.

The VASA must hold out for 6 turns. At least one model must occupy the sattelite uplink building by turn 6 in order to claim a victory (point)

The Syntha must assasinate both enemy leaders and at least one other highest CAL model from each side to claim a victory Point

The Viridians must atempt to capture the uplink site by turn 6. They do this by destroying all enemy forces within the uplink building.

*The uplink objective is the top tier of the Uplink building excluding the ramp. No more than 3 VASA models may occupy the objective tier at the start of the battle*

Ignore the models, this is the objective building.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/Group2.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sleazy
21-05-2006, 16:36
canny. Pity you dont have a Koralon force as they would work better than Syntha, as in both sides find their missions complicated by an infestation!

if I lived anywhere near you I'd be up for that!

Luke
21-05-2006, 16:54
Well my third (our combined 4th) force currently in WIP is Gladiators and after that I was going to go for a 100% Hybrid army becasue the hybrid models rock!

Luke
22-05-2006, 16:46
For your enjoyment, a small bat-rep. There are photographs but [lame excuse]I just brought a new laptop and I have lost my installation disc for my camera[/lame excuse] so as soon as I pull my finger out and find it, you will get piccies.

OBJECTIVE
A king of the hill scenario. The uppermost tier of the above mentioned radar dish was the objective to be secured by the end of the 6th turn. To claim the objective a player must be the sole captor of the tier or if there are enemy forces on the tier, he must outnumber his opponent by at least 2 to 1 (number of wounds counting for outnumbering purpouses) No break tests, no vp's.

VASA (Bardock)

CAL 2 Black guard sergeant
CAL 1 wolverine battlesuit
2 X CAL 1 archangels
CAL 1 sniper
5 X cal 0 suppresors

SYNTHA (Myself)

CAL 1 artemis class biomech
CAL 1 medusa class biomech
2 pointmen (such fantastic models, and great rules too!)
4 androsynths with pulse rifles
2 androsynths with grape guns and battleshields

I won the Initiative roll 6 times over the course of the battle so I got to choose whether I went first or second the whole game!

The game started slowly as each side moved into position, Bardock's wolverine lumbering around the outside of the radar station to try and batter my androsynths who were converging en-masses around the base of the tower, however I quickly shocked it with about 10 chain gun shots over 2 turns from my 2 (yes, 2!) pointmen before blowing both wounds away with one pointman (named BORT) who is now my hero :D
My two pointmen held brilliant firing postions that gave them a fire arc over prety much the entirety of the centre of the board.

Bardock's sniper took a shot each turn at one pointman (KURZE), succesfully boosting his own score with passed CD checks and hitting prety much every single one. Fortunately, Kurze's toughness and armour saved him, plus the fact he was hunkered in some good cover overlooking the gantry helped a lot.
Kurze's own performance on the whole was less than adequate however failing to actually kill anything, he did however score the shocking hit on the Wolverine.

All around the base of the tower, humans and synths dropped like flies as they dashed to get up the steps.

Unfortunately my medusa and artemis were the only units fast enough to make it to the radar upper tier early and this proved to be their own undoing.
The artemis took a gauss round in the face before she could make it up the steps.
My Medusa jump-packed up to the gantry shortly afterwards but I soon found myself out numbered by two of his three jump troops, a black guard sergeant and an archangel (two highly elite proffesional soldiers) who promptly battered the medusa into the ground before anyone else could get up there to help her out.
A few frantic turns of shooting at the gantry by my pointmen and remaining androsynths proved prety useless as they were at an innefective range and I suffered numerous negative modifiers because I was too hasty to actually bide my time and take aimed shots. Although I killed the archangel, the Black guard remained on the gantry to claim the objective.

RESULT:

With the Black legion sergeant on the tier at the end of turn 6, Bardock won the game.

For the future I would probably drop 2 of the androsynths and take a heavier walker or something, maybe a macrosynth heavy with macrocannon. The medusa was fine and lasted longer than the artemis. I am tempted to field another medusa as they are reletively cheap and look prety cool to boot.

Sleazy
22-05-2006, 21:13
i have a macrosyth heavy knocking about somewhere, i should really get round to painting it (like everything else).

I like some Hybrids but i think the Stingers look naff, I have 2 Reapers and a Breeder w/skull swarms to paint tho.

Sleazy
22-05-2006, 21:14
Oh and i dont like the Hydra either... thus I didnt even buy one at 99p!

Luke
23-05-2006, 20:43
LOL I just hammered Bardock and one of my mates in two games. King of the hill 3 way (Bardock and my mate just went after each other) I won with 200 pts of Syntha and a breakthrough mission (I think bardock forgot what the mission was :D) that I pwned with 300 pts of Viridians

I feel good. Breaks my losing streak wide open (:p to Bardock)

Bardock
23-05-2006, 20:52
the first loss was a moral victory i might add he suffered horrific casualties his shock marines were particuley ineffective so nuts to you luke :p . man of the match had to be my vasa sniper he was dropping marines left might and centre :D

Luke
23-05-2006, 20:59
No chance, man of the last match defo should have gone to KURZE (pointman) who wasted 2 guys. POintmen are absolutely fantastic. At close range you get 3 shots and dam 6 and at medium you get 2 at dam 5. PLus heavy armour 2 to boot.

I think I will always field 2 from now on.

Bardock
23-05-2006, 22:05
true i think youre pointmen live charmed lives they alays seem to survive win or lose

Luke
24-05-2006, 11:30
For a CAL 1 sniper without marksman ability, the VASA suppresor sniper performed consistantly throughout all three games it took part in.

Even my 65 point cal 2 sniper with marksman only managed one kill in its first outing (mind you, most of my first three turns were spent getting into position)

* considers a sniper heavy viridian force*

Imagine it. A cal 2 sniper with 2X cal 1 snipers backed up by some fast and cheap saurians and an urban interdict for some surprise assaults!

boogle
27-05-2006, 20:35
meh, they only had Phazons and Larvens left at Travelling Man, Simon, any idea where to get the Urban War stuff from now, apart from online?

Brush your teeth
27-05-2006, 20:44
hey luke just wondering if youd managed to get any pics of the special weapons for your UW guard force ?

cheers

Luke
27-05-2006, 21:51
Ah, sorry. I still havent found my installation disc for my camera for my new laptop :(

I havent got them yet I'm afraid.

Sleazy
30-05-2006, 03:30
meh, they only had Phazons and Larvens left at Travelling Man, Simon, any idea where to get the Urban War stuff from now, apart from online?

no idea, I spoke to the girl in TM today and she actually thought that UW had been discontinued, I put her right and told her about the new VASA stuff but it doesnt seem like they are gonna stock it, apparently the manager wasnt a fan.

Luke
30-05-2006, 09:45
If you are willing to travel, my local shop has UW stuff

Railway & Modellers Junction
7 Leicester Street
Bedworth
Warwickshire
CV12 8TT
Tel: +44 (02476) 316285

HOWEVER: If you go on the UM website here (http://www.urbanmammoth.com/) ->home button ->stockists ->United kingdom, It will tell you a list of stockists which I found quite helpful.

boogle
30-05-2006, 21:41
nah, i could go to the main placequicker than i could get to Leicester,wonder if exkex in Mackemland will stock it

that list is out of date,as the North Shields model shop (Gladstons), doesn't stock the stuff anymore and won'tdeal with Urban Mammoth at all (as the got very poor service from I-Kore and Urban Mammoth is basically the same people)

Dr. Doom
30-05-2006, 22:35
I am going to pick up a blister of Triad Retainers tomorrow , at least it gives Taron a reason to finish painting his Troops.
It's the first stuff i buy for UW , my plan is to paint 200-250points this June.

Luke
31-05-2006, 08:02
Retainers are fantastic models. my mate recntly painted a load up. Simple blood red armour straight over black (vallejo, covered in one coat!) And grave-earth fabrics.

I wish i could get pictures.

Dr. Doom
31-05-2006, 15:12
Retainers are fantastic models. my mate recntly painted a load up. Simple blood red armour straight over black (vallejo, covered in one coat!) And grave-earth fabrics.

I wish i could get pictures.
They and the Sumotori are the Main reason for me to start Vasa.
As for Painting , i am still undecided but at the Moment i like the idea of Painting the Armor parts Black(varnished) and the cloth parts either White or Bleached Bone. To show the elite status of some of the other Troops(Hatamoto , Kabuki Dolls etc) i wanted to Paint parts of them in Red Gore.
I'am still undecided on which "mon" to use , or if i should invent my own one.

Luke
31-05-2006, 21:07
Dont know what a "mon" is but I assume its a common unifying motif. The first one looks really good, the other two look like tudor roses.

Dr. Doom
31-05-2006, 21:50
Dont know what a "mon" is but I assume its a common unifying motif. The first one looks really good, the other two look like tudor roses.
A Mon is a crest or badge i've forgotten to write that.
A lot of the japanese crests looked like flowers.
If you are interested , this Site (http://www.sengoku-expo.net/design/E/crest/001-m01a.html) shows a lot of different familiy crests.

MIGHTYPanhead
03-06-2006, 02:26
sorry to but in, but I'm so getting into this. Love the viridian models.

might need to mail order the guys, but day-um! It's worth it! :)

.. back to your discussion.. ;)

Luke
03-06-2006, 07:52
Ah, the Viridians were the minis that got me hooked! It's only when you get into the game you realise how superb the rest of the ranges are.

Thoug in game, the Viridians are quite a challenge to use. Regard them as you would Eldar. That is they are *******' ace at what they do but pretty crap at everything else.

Max your CAL with snipers and dont bother with a sergeant unless he's mounted on a saurian. Take at least 2 shock marines as they are the most bad-ass combat troops in the game and will rampage through ANY combat with ease.

Dr. Doom
03-06-2006, 13:13
sorry to but in, but I'm so getting into this. Love the viridian models.

Viridians are my fovourites too , but as Taron's already got them I thought it would be boring to collect the same Army.
I think they are my favourites because they look like a mix of Jin-Roh Kerberos Panzercops and Colonial Marines.

Luke
03-06-2006, 14:18
just brought an Urban interdict and one of these bad boys!

http://www.wargamesworkshop.com/%5CImages%5CProductImages%5Cuw13140.jpg

MIGHTYPanhead
03-06-2006, 16:39
Max your CAL with snipers and dont bother with a sergeant unless he's mounted on a saurian. Take at least 2 shock marines as they are the most bad-ass combat troops in the game and will rampage through ANY combat with ease.

haven't gotten up on the rules yet :p I'll get some stuff first, then work out how it works ;)

But, I do know I'll get an interidct, and shock marines, and snipers.... and, well, almost everything..

boogle
03-06-2006, 23:04
looks like Online ordering is the only thing i can do nnow to get any Urban War stuffas both shopsin Sunderland have gone out of business and Travelling Man aren't stocking it either anymore

Luke
04-06-2006, 09:16
Dont worry too much. I get most of my UW from WargamesWorkshop anyway. Fast, cheap and no hassle.

WholeHazelNuts
18-06-2006, 22:55
You guys seen the new boxed sets?

http://www.urbanmammoth.com/um/html/urbanwar_170_series.htm

boogle
19-06-2006, 08:37
They look great, might get myself the Junkers, Triad and Viridian ones

when do they come out by the way?

warsmith si
19-06-2006, 22:03
Hi guys,

check out

http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/index.asp

they have 25% off Urban war while England are still in the world cup!

:D :D

Sleazy
20-06-2006, 10:01
wow, Cheers si! i get paid tomorrow, reckon i'll bolster my Triads even further.

i might even buy a load more retainers for use in my planned oriental-themed IG army.

Painted up a hybrid breeder and Brood leader for my Koralons last night, nearly done now.

boogle
20-06-2006, 10:07
i'm tempted, but i'll wait until i get some more money at the weekend, will get some Viridians and some Triad

Justicar_Freezer
20-06-2006, 21:22
Alright guys, so far Urban war is looking mighty interesting to me. I'm wondering if you could maybe tell me if it's Anything like Vor the Maelstrom or Dogs of War? Also my biggest question is on the 300 series box sets. Are all the miniatures in them covered in the main rules or would I need to also pick up the magizines to? Not that this would be a problem just sorta looking to get the main box set and the Viridian and Syntha 300 series box sets so a friend and I could try it out. Well thanks for any input guys.

WholeHazelNuts
20-06-2006, 22:02
Apparently they are in fact releasing all of the magazines as PDF downloads... so that's one thing anyway..:)

jazzdude78
21-06-2006, 05:34
the rules are in truth more to 40k than Vor (havent played DoW) though thats because as an offshoot of Void 1.1 it carries similarities to 40k

bigger differences are d10s being used, alternate activation, and in UW orders affecting who activates when, and CAL or calibre basically verteran models can possibly do more actions than normal (please note the "can")

boogle
21-06-2006, 09:32
good news about the magazines getting released as PDF's, that'll save me about £20

Luke
21-06-2006, 21:00
but hey, 20 beans is still cheaper than 40k.... Plus you dont have to spend 15 quid a pop on codexes and stuff.

the new 170 sets look ace. nothin new model wise but damn useful for noobs and expansion ready for Metropolis.

boogle
21-06-2006, 21:26
Metropolis, care to allude?

Luke
21-06-2006, 22:30
Big battles. The new Void if you will.

boogle
21-06-2006, 22:44
anymore info on it? (or is it top secret?)

Luke
21-06-2006, 23:09
Off the top of my head I cant remember much. Its not super-secret. Apparently it's due for a september release. Apparently taking a great deal of rules from old Void and introducing the Cal system from UW. A whole load of new minis planned/in development such as Jungle and poncho viridians and some new teratosynths. Plus we also have the UW gears thing coming out april which should see an introduction for large manned batlesuits to UW and Metropolis. All sounds very nice imho.

Cant remember if I posted her but they redsesigned Xiao-pi as "Neo-Pi" and she is probably the hottest female mini ever. Plus they re-did major Trask too. Its on their forums somewhere.

Sleazy
22-06-2006, 08:38
The Gears thing sounds great, i love stompy roboty things, knowing Urban Mammoth they'll be something special.

Now to whine constantly to Travelling Man and Forbidden Planet so they stock them! (actually i'm having a game of Warmachine with the TM manager today time to start the propaganda!).

boogle
22-06-2006, 09:56
Do you think they'll restock after selling off all of their UW stuff not a month ago?

A neutral shade of black.
22-06-2006, 13:00
the new 170 sets look ace. nothin new model wise but damn useful for noobs

You can say that again. I just picked the perfect time to get into UW - rules being released free-to-download and £12 to get a 170-point starting force. This is awesome.

Oh, yeah, new UW player here. Well, new; I'll be playing it in a month or two. Models are ace, rules are excellent from what I've seen - I just hope UM won't let support for UW die down once Metropolis is out like Rackham is doing with Confrontation.

Anyway, fanobyish enthusiasm, but I can't wait to get my hands on a starter set, download and print the rules and start playing. Oh, and I'll also be using those colonial marines as Panzer Corps in a pulp WWII setting - several birds with one stone.

Edit: it's a damn shame arcaneminis doesn't stock the 170 starter sets. Would have liked to get 25% of the Viridian one. :(

Edit²: marine vet + craft knife + splurge of GS = CAL2 special force model I need to handle the close-up protection of my CAL1 sniper (investing everything in a CAL2 sniper = you dead when whatever CC specialist the opponent has "accidentally runs into" your sniper). Result: only model not being used in the end from what I got in the starter set is the marine sergeant. Models being used: three CAL0 marines, one CAL1/2 SF (depending on whether it's 200/300 points) and one CAL1 sniper = most of what I need to get a full, decent Viridian force.

Someone tell me if the marine sarge has a saving grace?

(Yes, I've done my homework, by the way. :D)

boogle
22-06-2006, 15:40
stupid question time, but apart from the £30 boxed set,are the rules available elsewhere?

jazzdude78
22-06-2006, 18:06
issue 0 of the magazine it should still be in print
plus officially the "rulebook" in the boxset is just issue 0 iirc

A neutral shade of black.
22-06-2006, 18:34
plus officially the "rulebook" in the boxset is just issue 0 iirc

Yep, it is.

That said, two things: first of all, the Man Against Machine box is great value (you get a terrain piece and issue 0 for what, 2? 4? In any case, peanuts; and that's not counting your savings compared to buying blister by blister, but just counting the price of the 170 starter sets, since that's what you get); secondly, all the magazines (including issue 0) are being released for free in .pdf format in not too long, so you might want to wait a bit.

boogle
23-06-2006, 15:57
well the UW magazines are now available to download: http://urbanmammoth.com/news/download_urban_war/ not a bad system, will need to print it out as reading sideways hurts my neck

Sleazy
24-06-2006, 09:25
Have ordered a load of Retainers for my IG army. Gonna have Dragon launchers as missile teams and Hatamoto as Sergents.

What do you think of Sumatori as Ogryns?

Or a Kabuki Doll as a Callidus?

Any other ideas/conversions?

oh and these are gonna be my Chimeras, very Aliens but I think They'll look great painted white with a Japanese flag on them.

http://www.wargamesworkshop.com/Images/ProductImages/advtacasscar1.jpg

boogle
24-06-2006, 15:46
Good Idea Simon, maybe you could do a project log on them here so we can see how you get on with them

jazzdude78
24-06-2006, 21:56
Bikers make good roughriders and uh I suppose with the WH allies rules the dragonflies could be seraphim(I believe you can use em as allies my friend has the book)

DOnt forget to take a look at the fanzine
http://urbanmammoth.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=2830

Sleazy
27-06-2006, 10:49
well have made a start on the "chimera" ordered it from wargamesworkshop along with a dropship type thing and it arrived next morning!

looks nice, scale is good and is solid resin! (nice weighty feel)

The dropship is actually a lot nicer than the pics give it credit. when I've painted mine I'll post a pic.

Oriental Impy Guard! this is gonna be so cool.

Sleazy
27-06-2006, 10:52
just to add.... should i post these things on here or the 40k forum?

or the painty forum?

a 40k army with UW figs??

Dont wanna hijack your thread Luke

Luke
27-06-2006, 10:56
not at all. I myself own a 1500 point IG army that uses Viridian marines. Pictures here (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Imperial%20guard/)

feel free to take this post wherever, as long as it retains an UW twist.

boogle
27-06-2006, 10:57
Hmm rather than IG, i think with he Drop ships and Chimeras, a INQ task force is better suited as you've said a Kabuki Doll as either a Callidus or a Death Cultist or two, Retainters as INQ Stormtroopers, the Dragonflies as Seraphim, Shogun Battlesuits as Penitent Engines (with a little weapons modification), Sumatori as Arco-flagellents, Hatamoto's as Celestians maybe, Viperwings as Rough Riders (you may have to differentiate between inducted Ig and INQ ST for that one), the only thing i'm not too sure about is what to do with the Dragon Launchers

As an addemdum, i might just do the same sort of thing with Junkers/Gladiators, just to be a bit different

Sleazy
27-06-2006, 12:53
hmm, dont Inquisition get regular IG troops? if so then Retainers can be those and Dragon Launchers as the heavy weapons team.

sounds good L, but I'd rather have them as IG. I think of them as a planetary defence force from a Chi-Pan style world.

Wish I'd had this idea when TM had tons of the stuff half price!, as it is i've got tons of cool UW minis I'm not sure what to do with.

Anyone need a heavy Macrosynth?

boogle
28-06-2006, 07:50
nope, but if you have Junkers of Viridians you don't want , i might be interested (if so take it to PMs)

Sleazy
28-06-2006, 09:12
you know Void figs? do they scale the same? theres loadsa cheap ones on ebay right now, i notice the sculpts have altered a lot tho, how naff are the old Koralons!?

Didnt get a lot of Viridians/junkers have that exosuit i painted as an inquisitor and a few of the female junker guard things.

Painted up 3 viridian heavy weapons teams for my current Cadian army.

also got a Sauron i fancy converting into something (Exodite perhaps?).

Sorry dude, reckon i can use all them.

will have a butchers at what else i have about.

boogle
28-06-2006, 11:15
I had quite a bit of Void stuff, but i believe it went the way of the other 5000 worth of stuff the missus lobbed out

jazzdude78
29-06-2006, 02:50
Personally I love the old koralons but they are quite different from the sculpts we have
especially the haprikons and hydra
http://www.stronghold-online.de/Bildergalerie/Void/voidgal.htm
that site has some great pictures of many different ol void figs

side note here is some hybrid art that there are models of but were and may never be released (maybe)
http://www.stronghold-online.de/Spiele/Void/bild.koralon_05.jpg
http://www.stronghold-online.de/Spiele/Void/bild.koralon_06.jpg

Luke
29-06-2006, 07:29
Ahh, Adrian Smith. That guy can paint!

I quite like the old Koralon, the new ones are frikkin sweet though, especially the stinger hybrids

Sleazy
29-06-2006, 07:50
theres someone on ebay selling TONS of the old void stuff, all races, still boxed, just look under "void".

I cant stand the Stingers luke, godawful. I have the Breeder and some Reapers but thats as far as I went for hybrids.

'bout halfway through painting the dropship though I may change the landing gear on it, at the mo it just has VTOL jets but i reckon a set of Devilfish landing gear would look better.

Need to think of a name for my Triad-themed IG homeworld... Chi-Pan or is that too obvious?

boogle
29-06-2006, 07:59
may as well call it Pan-Fo :p

how about Zhang-Szi?

jazzdude78
29-06-2006, 22:22
btw the figure trader did have an "official" void dropship on its site
just in case anyone wanted to know

http://www.thefiguretrader.co.uk/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Urban_war

Grimtuff
30-06-2006, 13:35
Just got this in my inbox in case anyone's interested

http://urbanmammoth.com/news/download_urban_war/

Madfool2
03-07-2006, 23:40
I am considering starting Urban war with either, regular VASA, Triads, Viridians or Syntha.
Which is better for a beginner, i have the rules downloaded from the urban mammoth site.

jazzdude78
04-07-2006, 00:29
Syntha are pretty easy to start with with their tough basic units lack of higher cal and fairly simple curve at least IMHO
alternately you could use Vridians and yknow talk to the billion other viridian players for advice plus their also pretty easy ya got shooty basics a great cc unit and a shooty elite they also use cal well

Sleazy
04-07-2006, 07:50
Triads have the best models and fluff I reckon, also Koralon are very under-rated (but you gotta like gribbly Tyranid style things).

Sleazy
13-07-2006, 07:47
Been working away at loadsa Retainers/Guardsmen and almost have the APC done, trying to get them to look like a city defense force, somewhere between a Planetary Defence Force and a police/Arbites force (if that makes any sense... I know what I mean) will get some pics up soon, I think I'll start a thread in project logs.

BTW, ONI suit = Sentinel?

jazzdude78
13-07-2006, 08:25
They should work ok the only real problem is the lack of guns on the current models though something shoulder mounted shouldnt be too hard

Sleazy
13-07-2006, 09:24
thats what i was thinking, it has some kinda mouth gun but that doesnt look meaty enough so a shoulder mounted heavy flamer it is!

i havent got any Sumatori yet, do you think they'll be big enough for ogryns?

jazzdude78
14-07-2006, 06:16
yes they should be maybe not as tall but theyll work

Sleazy
14-07-2006, 11:21
just got a couple of bargains...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200004780723&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

and then from same seller

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190005582275&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

combined postage as well, thats a total of £7 for the pair!, reckon I can convert that Syntha tank up and the Celtos thing will just make some nice WFB scenery.

Sleazy
17-07-2006, 12:43
noticed that one of my triad blisters had no bases so i sent an email to UM and voila! sent straight out in post.

What nice people... everyone on best behavior mind, they've been reading this thread!

Luke
19-07-2006, 17:30
hey guys, sorry about my abscence as of late, I kind of rotate between 6 different game systems :D

Decided to start a new Viridian force so I painted this guy up as a test piece.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/HGR.jpg

Sleazy
20-07-2006, 10:38
canny, whay not do a force you havent got yet? like Koralon?

Luke
20-07-2006, 10:59
Good question. I have those gladiators (a few pages back) that I could try and expand. As for Koralon... I dunno. The models don't really appeal to me. The hybrids are pretty nice though, but I wouold have to paint a load of em though as they are incredibly cheap points-wise.

Sleazy
25-07-2006, 07:47
well I just bought 2 Sumatori and a veteran to use as ogryns and a Bone'ead. also got some Viperwing for rough riders.

REALLY gotta keep away from the pub for a bit and get some painted up.

Luke
25-07-2006, 08:32
Its a shame th IG stats and 40k rules blow as much as they do. It means your unique models are going to drop like flies and not be appreciated for the wonderful models they really are. Mine sure as hell did :(

BTW, home made UW carry case! £2.70 worth of materials. Using blister foam, cheap shop glue and box.

The tokens are my home made order tokens made form some thick-ass mount board. Have tokens for all 3 orders and for panic and shock.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/DSC00921.jpg

Sleazy
25-07-2006, 09:43
i cant decide what to use for a Leman Russ. So far there isnt any GW minis at all and i think adding a russ would look outta place.

any suggestions?

Sleazy
25-07-2006, 09:50
[QUOTE=Luke]Its a shame th IG stats and 40k rules blow as much as they do. It means your unique models are going to drop like flies and not be appreciated for the wonderful models they really are. Mine sure as hell did :(

QUOTE]

true, but they'll look great doing it. anyway, i rarely play, its the creative side of things i enjoy.

jazzdude78
26-07-2006, 04:42
You could try the TAV from old void days
or the tiger
korvus is a bit small IMHO

Sleazy
31-07-2006, 14:50
dunno the TAV, any pics?

Started on the Sumatori lats night, not much smaller than Ogryns but totally in keeping with the theme and it doesnt take a genius to figure what they are.

Should have looked more closely at the rulebook though, I need 5 models for rough riders?!? I bought 2 Viperwing thinking i only need one more, this is getting expensive, those buggers are 8 quid each (tho i got these on ebay for 4 each).

I built the Void Syntha Hades tank but havent a clue what i can do with it.

jazzdude78
31-07-2006, 18:35
http://www.voidgamers.com/channel/sci-fi/void/b.10.r.3784.html/ztav5.jpg

it came with 2 turrets
not my pic btw so apologise for that in advance
its probably a bit small though
the korvus might work better but its a walker so t could be confusing (tiger is too but has 4 legs)

Sleazy
31-07-2006, 20:34
ah that one.

nah, dont like it. the tiger walky tank was on ebay the other day, looked ok. reckon I may have to kit bash something here.

Darthvegeta800
06-08-2006, 16:08
I'm Flemmish (Belgium) and i used to play Void 1.1. I collected Junkers and had a rather nice force. I was going to play Urban War but the I-Kore bankrupcy had me doubting and well... it's VERY hard to get them over here.
So i switched to Warhammer 40K.
Still love the Junkers though. I'm a fan of the Roman Empire and i love to play the militarist ruthless autocrats. :D
I saw some pics of the new legionnaries and it simply made me drool.

jazzdude78
07-08-2006, 16:14
you can play urban war fairly easily right now actually as the rules and such are downloadable online now an your junkers are pretty much all availible in game

Brush your teeth
07-08-2006, 19:47
ok, ive got a quick question for urban war players. as i said earlier in the thread i'm currently working on a UW virigian force for 40k with guard rules, however i thought i'd see what i can do with them in the urban war game.

so heres the question: are veteran marines just cal2/3 marines? (and the same with snipers)

cheers.

also @ luke, sorry to pester you, but can you get pics of your viridian special weapons for 40k yet?

jazzdude78
07-08-2006, 21:46
Yes the vet models represent the higher cal versions of their normal selves though they dont have to game wise its mostly just a helpful visual thing

Madfool2
08-08-2006, 12:51
i've now got urban war models, i have 4 retainers with pole arms, and a boss.
I have planned to include some more retainers, gauss rifle armed, a hatamoto with pole arm a viper wing (The art work...i love it), and an oni class suit with pole arm (pattern comes up).
Would this do well, plus, what is normal size for a game?.

arcticblur
08-08-2006, 14:10
So I have to ask I just won one of the 170 series box's from the drawing they were haveing thru various websites. I was curious if anyone else won from the forums.

Luke
08-08-2006, 17:20
Congrats mate. Personally I do not know any of the winners though there are full lists on the UM homepage.

@ Brushyourteeth: Sorry mate, havent got round to it.

jazzdude78
10-08-2006, 00:34
Your average game runs about 300 points though 200/400 are good as well

SeaCaptain
17-08-2006, 05:59
How do the different fractions play? Which one's are shooty, fast, cc monsters? Best worst for noobs? Thanx!

Daemon king Mad Dog
19-08-2006, 10:50
I played that once at hammer head (Some of you may remember, me from there, i was the ginger kid who took an age drawing in hordes and heroes, i say it was my opponents fault they didn't die quick enough! humph!

Anyway back on subject. I got totaly slaughtered as the mariney guys.

jazzdude78
19-08-2006, 21:12
Easiest for noobs would probably be Viridians and Syntha
Hardest Junkers and Koralon (VASA/triads is sorta middle road)

Shooty factions are mostly Viridia and Syntha course VASA/triads can bring plenty to bear as well

CC monsters Koralon rule here, though everyone else has something that is a great CC beatstick

Fast goes to VASA/triads with their bikes and jumptroops though everyone else at least one mounted sort of troop

Luke
05-09-2006, 09:05
Ahhhhh, thought it was time to dust this thread off and re-kindle some interest in UW again!
Well I have been fairly busy these last few days re-painting my beloved Viridians!

Main force
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC01100.jpg

special forces
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/specialforces1.jpg
As you can see they now sport an entirely new colour scheme based on the US army's choc-chip (6 colour desert) camoflage scheme. So far I only have these 8 entirely finished but I have plenty more to do.

Oh, also 10 points to anyone who can spot the only conversion in this whole force.

Now the fun part! YOU choose what I will paint next!

The options:
1 Sniper (kneeling)
1 female veteran sniper
2 shock troops
1 special forces guy
1 regular saurian rider
1 urban interdict

out of the next 4 people to vote, the most requested mini will be painted next. Lets see how well this works.

Brush your teeth
05-09-2006, 15:37
my vote goes for the female veteran sniper.

so far the new paint scheme is looking pretty swish, good work!

Luke
05-09-2006, 21:52
excellent, thank you :)

I have this same "poll" going on on the official UM forum. So far we have a mighty total of 1 vote for the saurian :rolleyes:

Luke
06-09-2006, 18:23
On the UM forums, the saurian is winning with 2 votes. And 1 vote for the regular sniper.

Sleazy
07-09-2006, 07:43
Saurian Rider!

i have one a home I've been meaning to do something with for ages

jazzdude78
07-09-2006, 12:20
urban interdict
I swear no one paints those guys up

Luke
07-09-2006, 14:31
Well the Urban interdict is such a risk to field. When it hits the table it pretty much has to risk a turn of inactivity. My style of play is pretty much to roll up the centre of the battlefield and have each unit support each other. If I have one "loose cannon" runinga round, true the enemy is distracted maybe, but if it all goes pear shaped I've lost a load of points with absolutely no return.

I think the Saurian is winning, both forums totals add up to 3 for the saurian so it looks like that.

EDIT--------

Had a go at a head swap on my sniper guy

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/sniper1.jpg

Daemon king Mad Dog
09-09-2006, 21:15
Female trooper!

Luke
10-09-2006, 10:05
Lol, outvoted on the UM forums I'm afraid :p

Next up is the saurian rider. In the meantime here is the completed sniper with his mates:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC01128.jpg

Group shot:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/Urban%20War/DSC01124.jpg

Brush your teeth
11-10-2006, 12:55
just thoght i'd revive this thread with pics of my newly done sniper
ive tried a few new techniques on this mini, mianly the dirt on the boots and cloak, but the cammoflage is a new style to me too.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/1990ainslieDuncan/IMG_1112.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/1990ainslieDuncan/IMG_1111.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/1990ainslieDuncan/IMG_1110.jpg

theres a few bits that jump out at me that i need to work on since uploading the photo's so ill get those done as i work on the next two snipers.

hope you like it

EDIT: better pics and sniper no.2 are now showing

BYT

Luke
11-10-2006, 13:22
Very nice indeed! THat is one of my favourite miniatures. Nice to see I have inspired someone to try their hand at "choc-chip" style BDU ;)

One thing, any better pictures? Try moving the camera further back and setting the res to huge. Its a shame I cant really see the detail in the front of the model.

UPDATE on my guys:

On hold for the moment I'm afraid as action has dried up until METRO and compendium is released. Plus finaces are not too great atm.

Brush your teeth
11-10-2006, 13:24
One thing, any better pictures? Try moving the camera further back and setting the res to huge. Its a shame I cant really see the detail in the front of the model.

yeah, my camera skills arent the best, ill try and get some better shots posted up soon, take them outside if the weather clears up

EDIT: ok my previous post has the better pictures in now, sniper no.2 is also there

beardstache
25-10-2006, 00:10
This game looks pretty nice. Me and my friend might start soon. I've got my eyes on the Viridians.

Luke
25-10-2006, 12:04
There is a lot of rumblings at the moment what with metro and the UW book due for release, John even mentioned the new "CLAU's" coming soo. El guardian even commented on the syntha CLAU he is culpting saying it is bigger than the biggest warjack or dreadnaught.

Senbei
27-10-2006, 10:43
He lies... Haven't you seen the Resin Cryx Jack they do ? (ok, it's a differtent scale though :D )

beardstache
30-10-2006, 01:57
quick question: are the models plastic or metal?

jazzdude78
30-10-2006, 03:11
Metal, they're all metal, back in the day some of the vehicles were resin and there was some plastics for the boxset but the UW stuff is all metal thus far

baphomael
30-10-2006, 18:36
I have to say, although the miniatures are all *very* nice I was never that tempted to pic this game up...
...but looking back over those Junker miniatures I find myself being drawn to them. I've always had a soft spot for 'Roman Legions in Space'.

Well...I may get some of those Junker Exo-suits. They look perfect for pre-heresy terminator conversions. At least, thats what I'll tell myself to justify buying more toy soldiers :P

Luke
01-11-2006, 20:46
NEWS!

Metro cover and sneak peak at the Viridian CLAU

http://www.urbanmammoth.com/

Luke
02-11-2006, 09:07
teh update.

http://www.urbanmammoth.co.uk/um/images/v_clau_lg.jpg

Looks to me like a gigantic shockmarine with 2 vibroscythes.

Sleazy
02-11-2006, 11:54
oooh, i want! well not Viridians but but some great jap-mecha suit for my Triads.

will there be a big monster for the Koralons then?

Luke
02-11-2006, 20:51
Supposedly.
More sneak peaks to come during the week.

TCUTTER
04-11-2006, 22:29
the guy in that concept looks german/kreig death corps, do we have confirmation as to wether those suits are plastic or metal, i suppose they could be resin as well, anything?

Luke
04-11-2006, 23:16
Metal from what I can gather. I wonder why they are sculpting the pilots separately?

TCUTTER
05-11-2006, 01:24
god not metal, pinning like mad ahoy, the figures could be if it gets destoryed but annihilated, they can escape

Luke
05-11-2006, 14:10
Good thinking batman. BTW your avatar looks scarily like one of my old bodybuilding mates :D.

hegemon
10-11-2006, 16:43
Hopefully when i twist my mams arm, she'll let me use her card to buy the 178 viridian box set, these minis are well cool, i'm sorry to say this but they look better than most GW minis, like other peeps here have i would like to get an oriental squad for my guards and the colonial marines for guards as well, and the Viridians spec forces as hardened vets or scouts for my space marines,

hopefully i'll be among the legion of urban in two weeks, or after a hell of a lot of cups of tea!!

Luke
10-11-2006, 16:52
Hey up. I would go for the 300 box to start with. That will give you a wider range of minis that will help you decided on your style of play.

Welcome to the forums BTW.