PDA

View Full Version : To topple the Gates of Eternity

baphomael
10-09-2011, 22:01
"...On the Thirteenth of Secundus 014.M31 fire rained from the sky. The hated turncoats had finally reached Ancient Terra and brought pain, fear and death riding in their wake. Their fleets had crushed what hasty opposition could be mounted in response and made grim mockery of Sol's defences. For days and nights the guns never tired. Barrage cannon and torpedo salvo traced infernal lines of new suffering toward the surface of mankind's beleaguered homeworld. The seas boiled and the lands burned whilst men, women and children cried out to a broken sky. Despite the best efforts of Dorn and his allies, the Loyalists had little choice but to weather the storm in the hope that relief from Ultramar and Fenris would reach them in time.

Just as the full horror of what was being undertaken sapped at the defender's will the first Traitorous foot fell upon Terra's precious surface. The course of Mankind's history forever would be sealed..."
-Excerpt from Hieronymous D'Aquinas' proscribed work The History of Perfidious Treachery, volume the sixth.

Well folks, that introduction marks the beginning of my first plog here on Warseer, one that shall chart the development of my Sons of Horus army. A note, this plog might be slow to update though it is my hope to get enough units table-ready in time for Tempus Fugitive's campaign weekend at Maelstrom Games this October. With a bit of fortitude it should be possible (touch wood).

Either way, for the Warmaster, death to the false-Emperor!

baphomael
10-09-2011, 23:59
WIP of the big man himself, Ezekyle Abaddon, based somewhat on the armour style of Abaddon as shown in one of the Collected Visions pieces (chiefly, the one with Horus amongst some famous personalities such as Fulgrim, Ahriman, Maloghurst, etc).

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qsp7pu.jpg

- A rare, restricted, pict-capture of the traitor Ezekyle Abaddon, First Company captain of the Sons of Horus during the Siege of Terra. It is thought this pict was taken by the late Adrin Bresson, a much celebrated Imagist who turned his talents to recording the anarchy of the Siege as best he could. In a manner in keeping with the great artists' work, we see the traitor in a thought provoking moment of personal reverie as the First Captain spares a moment during the midst of combat to regard the helm of a slain Imperial Fist. The pict raises questions as to what thoughts run through the traitor's head - is it hate and contempt etched on Abaddon's face, or a flash of realisation at how far they have come or how deep they have delved? Perhaps, even, it displays a momentary pang of guilt. Ultimately, we may never know but the image remains one that, were it not for the dark subject matter, would be widely applauded.

Catferret
11-09-2011, 09:38
Looks like a good start. The replacement power fist looks very good on him, as do the shoulders.

Is the topknot on the armour, or on his head? I can't tell from the picture.

baphomael
11-09-2011, 14:21
Cheers. Yea, the topknot is on his head, removed the one that comes with Abaddon and added a smaller, less ostentatious one, more in keeping with the art.

Catferret
11-09-2011, 15:42
Ah, gotcha. Was wondering if it was a reference to the artwork with terminators having the topknots on the armour.

baphomael
11-09-2011, 16:07
Ah, gotcha. Was wondering if it was a reference to the artwork with terminators having the topknots on the armour.

Ah, yes, well on the top of his armour I'll be sculpting a fur pelt, along with turning the skull on his chest plate into an eye of Horus. His termi armoured mates from Justaerin *will* have topknots on their armour however.

baphomael
11-09-2011, 23:37
Some WIP shots of the next addition to the army, the Contemptor Dread. Still awaiting the skull and laurels on the chest, the stud rivets and the chains however.

http://i54.tinypic.com/wsocpx.jpghttp://i53.tinypic.com/2r290lg.jpghttp://i55.tinypic.com/1zcdeds.jpg

- Pict-capture of Bakhart Dreadnought, Sons of Horus. The origins of this pict-capture are unknown, but given Ancient Bakhart appears to be engaging Astartes clad in the livery of the Emperor's Children it was presumably taken prior to the flight of the Eisenstein or the Isstvan virus-bombing. Such an engagement would have occurred during the liquidation of loyalist elements within the Traitor Legions.

Shadow Fall
11-09-2011, 23:55
Aha a fellow sons of horus player...

good to know that there'll be three of us in october :D

looking forward to more updates, abby looks good :) planning to take horus?

Keep it up

SF

baphomael
12-09-2011, 00:19
Aha a fellow sons of horus player...

good to know that there'll be three of us in october :D

looking forward to more updates, abby looks good :) planning to take horus?

Keep it up

SF

Hehe, yea, assuming I get it all finished in time that is ;) I'd like to take Horus...but I'm not quite sure how to tackle the conversion yet. I'm unsure. I might use scibor's 'chaos master' as a base, adding the fur pelt from the Wolf Guard kit (as that wolf pelt looks pretty close to the adrian smith artwork. I reckon I'd use the mace from the Chaos Knights kit (as that looks pretty close to Horus mace) and, of course, I've got a spare Talon from the Abaddon conversion.

Not sure yet, as there would have to be plenty of greenstuff work and I'm not really that confident with greenstuff bar a few simple effects like mail or fur.

Mega Nutz
12-09-2011, 05:27
Some sweet looking builds both planned and executed. Looking forward to the next instalment! :yes:

MvS
12-09-2011, 08:29
You've actually rehabilitated that Abbadon model in my eyes. I thought it was showing its age in a bad way, but with a few changes you've made it too-cool-for-school, as it should be.

Keep up the good work!

Petay1985
12-09-2011, 10:11
Very nice work fella, your attention to detail will pay dividends i am sure.

baphomael
12-09-2011, 17:50
MvS: Cheers dude, I'm quite pleased with how Abby's turning out, was originally going to use a plastic termi model as a base, but noticed one of the collected visions pieces has his armour, pretty much, as it would later become, save for the weapons and some heresy era details and...well... I still rather like the Abaddon model. It does show its age, but I think he still has charm.

I've also been quietly impressed with the the quality of the finecast model of him. I've heard a lot of bad things about finecast but found not of the criticisms on this one. The casting was sharp (much sharper than an old metal Abaddon I'd cut up a long time ago). I also quite liked how, at least on mine, there is a thin, just perceptible, gap between the leg hydraulics and the thigh plate. Probably not an intentional part of the original sculpt but more a product of the material and casting process, but as luck would have it it gives an added element of detail quite by accident :p

Petay: thanks a lot, its nice to hear positive comments :) I'm trying to keep as close, as my modest skills will allow, to the artwork. I want everything to be as period accurate as possible. While the FW stuff is instant period-accurate, and quite luverly to boot, I doubt I will be able to afford a full 2500 army of FW goodness by then, so I'm gonna have to supplement my FW stuff with converted GW stuff. I'm also considering trying to source an RTB05 Land Raider (oh, how I wish I could still get a box of two for 9.99 ;)) though I know if I find one it'll cost a pretty penny :( still, it'd be nice to have that homage to the old days. (Incidently, brings to mind a lucky sod I chatted to, found a box of two land raiders in a charity shop...open box, but models still largely on sprues save for a few loose bits. Presumably the old dears had no idea how much these babies can go for on ebay and had labelled them up as if they were an opened airfix kit. Cheap as chips, the lucky sod :P)

I think next on the agenda shall be some footsloggers to follow Abaddon about. Its no good being a commander without some troops to command. Next up, I think, shall be Arghast Ravager Squad.

baphomael
18-09-2011, 01:04
Well, after a little distraction from tradesmen and insurance companies and loss adjusters and generally getting farted about a lot, I've been able to make a start on some more stuff. Changed my mind about the Mk. III squad (as I'm still deciding how to arm them ;)) so, went with assault marines instead.

Also, now that I've experimented with colour mixtures, I might just have settled on a green for my Sons, I'll be able to start getting some actual painting done ;)

http://i51.tinypic.com/not387.jpg

- Pict-Capture of unknown Sons of Horus assault veteran. It is presumed this individual was a member of the vaunted Katulan Reaver squad. He appears clad in the later Mark V power armour. This armour would go on to be known forever as the 'Heresy Suit', as the less sophisticated systems and components adapted from older marks would become increasingly common as the attrition of the Arch-Traitor's civil war took its toll.