PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Skaven List

ftayl5
11-09-2011, 01:56
So this is basically meant to be a list that I'm currently aiming for, I don't have half of these models now and want to get a solid list and then buy the models rather than buy the models and try to make some kind of army out of it.

So here it is:

Warlord @ 115pts
Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield

Chieftain @ 72pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Shield

Warlock @ 150pts
Level 2, Warp-Energy Condenser, Doom Rocket

40 Stormvermin @ 305pts
Full Command

31 Clanrats @ 220pts
Full Command, Shields, Poisoned Wind Mortar

21 Giant Rats @ 103pts
5 Packmasters

5 Giant Rats, 1 Packmaster @ 23pts

35 Slaves @ 70pts
35 Slaves @ 70pts

6 Gutter Runners @ 108pts
Slings, Poisoned Attacks

Doomwheel @ 150pts

Warp-Lightning Cannon @ 90pts

Total: 1499pts

Just to do some tactical explanation or such, the Warlord I like to keep economical, I don't see him beating any of the tougher characters whether he has 20pts of equipment or 100 so don't tend to bother trying to make him too deadly, better to spend the points on bodies. 4 S5 Attacks is quite nice anyway and a 3+ save 'aint bad. The Engineer's pretty self explanatory.
The list is supposed to be quite aggressive, with the horde of stormvermin and a doomwheel being the main hitty things. While the Clanrats can take on softer targets and the giant rats act as flankers/anti flankers.

Please don't suggest me getting a Grey Seer, I'm aware that I will be a little vulnerable in the magic phase but due to the theme of my army I must always have a Warlord so until about 2000pts, I'm not going to have a Grey Seer. End of story.

Other than that, all advice and criticism is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

russellmoo
11-09-2011, 15:52
I think you need some more hitting power- without the grey seer, and only a lvl 2 you won't have any magic buffs-

This means your army has one (sometimes 2) units that have Str 6- any mostly T4 army is going to shrug off your attempts to kill them in CC-

I would try getting some rat ogres on the table- if they flank charge the unit fighting the clanrats they should be able to take on and destroy a unit-

This is very useful if you run up against a WoC player with 2 units of warriors, dual great weapon dwarf hordes, O&G- pretty much any close combat oriented army with good CC core units-

KnightSeerValkia
11-09-2011, 21:44
In regards to hitting power, maybe consider a Plague Priest over the Engineer as the Plague spells would seem to help more with T4 armies especially with Bless of Filth on any of your units, but also Wither on opposing enemies it would help make your opponents into more managable morsels for your rats.

Also noticed your mistaken on the cost of your Warlord, the Enchanted Shield is 10 points not 5....which puts you over the points limit by 2 Slaves.

ftayl5
12-09-2011, 00:43
I'd like to get some Rat Ogres in there too but the points just aren't available. The only way to fit in a well sized unit (ie more than 2) is to drop the Doomwheel, which I certainly don't want to do, or some of the Stormvermin and all the Giant rats, which I don't want to do either. Expanding to 2000pts I'll definitely add in Rogres but until then I just don't think they're going to fit.

As to the plague priest, that's actually not a bad idea, but I really don't want to lose the doomrocket and it'd be a bit un-fluffy to have a plague priest in a list with no plague monks.

Anyway between the WLC, Doomwheel, Doomrocket, Magic and the Poisoned Wind Mortar, I think I should have enough to take on said really tough armies, especially since such armies usually have very low numbers.

Thanks for the input guys.

Bubbasan
12-09-2011, 04:57
Plague monks, at least 30, with the banner and you will have all the hitting power you need to back up your other units. If possible I would try to add another weapon team. PWM's and WFT's are both really deadly. I would also suggest the priest like someone else mentioned with the flail, lvl 2, and scroll. That should be enough magic defense for such a small point setup.

ftayl5
12-09-2011, 06:25
Thanks for the suggestion, but again it's a matter of a lack of points. There's no way I could have Plague Monks and the weapon teams.
If I got rid of the Clanrat unit, the 21 Giant Rats and the Warlock I'd have enough points to just fit in a unit of 35 Monks with Plague Banner and a pretty much naked plague priest... hmm...

Warlord @ 93pts
Halberd

Chieftain @ 72pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Shield

Plague Priest @ 164pts
Level 2, Flail, Dispel Scroll

40 Stormvermin @ 305pts
Full Command

43 Slaves @ 86pts
43 Slaves @ 86pts

35 Plague Monks @ 300pts
Full Command, Plague Banner

Slings, Poisoned Attacks

Doomwheel @ 150pts

Total: 1500pts

So that gives me two infantry units that can hit pretty hard in the monks and the stormvermin, okay shooting in the WLC (and doomwheel if you count that), 2 tarpits... average magic, deployment drops and some machine hunters. Though I do miss out on the doomrocket...
And I've no Clanrats...
What do you all think?

mistrmoon
12-09-2011, 18:07
Hmmm i feel like the warlord is a little TOO naked at this point and will just be giving away points. Also for the BSB off the top of my head his shield is 2 points? Give him the charmed shield for 5. It lets him ignore the first hit he takes in the game on a 2+. I cant even count the number of times its saved me. Also for one of your heroes hanging out in one of your large blocks try and squeeze the ironcurse icon in there somewhere, for 5 points you'll be glad you did the first time one of your units is hit by a stone thrower/mortar. Also looks like you haev no flaming attacks in the whole army, first time you run into a hydra/HPA or some other big nasty you will likely regret it.

Bubbasan
12-09-2011, 19:55
While I feel the cannon and doomwheel pose a big threat to HPA/hydra/etc, the 10 point flame banner could be very useful. Also the ironcurse icon would be a great addition to probably the stormvermin unit on one of your characters.

I love slaves, but I would drop one of slave units to grab a weapon team. Slaves are optimal when u hold up a unit and then throw a lot of shooting into the held up unit. Chances are your opponents will not be fielding that many units so holding up one with the slaves while u pepper it during ur shooting phase will probably be enough especially since your monks will be able to hold and destroy another unit on their own.

Consider taking the catapult as opposed to the cannon.

Finally, I would drop the warlord altogether and put the priest as ur general on a furnace or drop the priest and warlord and grab a seer with the scroll and a wardsave IF you can find the points. If not then o well. Or just drop the warlord and grab another team or bring back that unit of slaves. All are optimal choices.

KnightSeerValkia
12-09-2011, 20:39
I agree with mistrmoon that the Warlord is too naked, and with Bubbasan that you could do with the flame banner but to pay for them I would drop 2 Monks, the halberd and 6 Slaves from each unit which would give you 41 points to play with.

With those points I would say:
* Talisman of Protection + 10 point Magic Weapon for the Warlord
* Banner of Eternal Flame for the Storm Vermin
* Iron Curse Icon on either you BSB for the Vermin or the Priest for your Monks

ftayl5
13-09-2011, 02:06
Warlord @ 108pts
Halberd, Rival Hide Talisman

Chieftain @ 80pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Charmed Shield, Ironcurse Icon

Plague Priest @ 164pts
Level 2, Flail, Dispel Scroll
Core

40 Stormvermin @ 315pts
Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

36 Slaves @ 72pts
37 Slaves @ 74pts

34 Plague Monks @ 293pts
Full Command, Plague Banner

Slings, Poisoned Attacks

Doomwheel @ 150pts

Total: 1500pts

How about that?
I'm not a fan of 6+ Ward save on 3 wound characters personally. And I might get rid of the Rival Hide Talisman too, the only reason he's so naked is for the Plague priest to afford a scroll.
Any more feedback on the newest list?
Thanks for all your help guys.