PDA

View Full Version : Negative armour saves

TheMadMarquis
11-09-2011, 09:02
Can you get an armour save better than 1+? This is actually something I have a chance of doing regularly, since I run Empire Knights and a L4 with Lore of Metal for a chance of a -1+ save.

This 7th edition FAQ http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2220025_Warhammer_FAQ__PART2_Jan_2009.pdf seems to say you can, but when I first posted my army concept here a few months back the consensus seems to be that you can't. I can imagine that this might have been reconsidered somewhere with the release of 8th and the new Metal spell making it a likely outcome, but I can't find anything on google or in the BRB.

Thanks for any help!

Yrrdead
11-09-2011, 09:07
Well if you are playing 8th edition than a FAQ from a previous edition doesn't mean that much.

Take a look at the 3rd paragraph of pg 43(Of the 8th edition book). It states that you can't have an AS better than 1+.

EDIT - Also take a look at the current FAQ which addresses (and errata's) this very topic.

Matt.Wood88
11-09-2011, 09:08
I believe that in the BRB in the armour section regarding shields, it states that an armour save can never be better than a 1+.
could be wrong though, I would have to check...
Hope this helps!
Matt

LemonPotato
11-09-2011, 09:08
3rd paragraph on page 43 of the BRB.

In short, no.

sorberec
11-09-2011, 09:10
The 8th edition rulebooks explicitly states the best armour save you can have is a 1+.

The only exception to this is Warriors of Chaos who can get 0+ from the Eye of the Gods table (as Army Book overrides rulebook)

sorberec
11-09-2011, 09:11
Damn you people are fast...

TheMadMarquis
11-09-2011, 09:14
Wow, that was seriously impressive. Thanks longbeardy types!

I guess I'll stick with the Greatswords then.

Yrrdead
11-09-2011, 09:25
Edit - Removed my derp

Page 43 - Saving Throws
Change the third paragraph to "Note that a save of any kind can never be better than a 1+. This does not prevent a model having items or special rules that would take the save even lower, it simply caps the saving throw at 1+. Also, remember that a roll of 1 is always a failure."

Mr_Rose
11-09-2011, 09:44
How does that override the army book which specifies a new minimum for the gift?

All the errata does is insert that bit that says you are allowed to wear chaos armour, carry an enchanted shield and ride a juggernaut at the same time, despite this coming to a grand total save of -1+ without breaking the rules; the previous version implied that you simply weren't allowed to take wargear that would ordinarily make your save better than 1+ and so couldn't take any buffers against things that destroy bits of armour and such.

Yrrdead
11-09-2011, 09:52
Derp, missed the old to a 0+ maximum bit. I was wrong.

BEEGfrog
12-09-2011, 20:40
You can take items that will take you below 1+ AS but it will always be resolved as 1+ unless enough items/ridden monsters are destroyed to take you above 1+.

i.e. if you are 1+AS before you mount your ridden monster you will count as 1+ while on the monster but then still be 1+ when monster eats the cannonball and you are back on foot.

ashc
13-09-2011, 19:20
and note, that's not the same as the old system where dark elves could easy peasy have a character with a -2+ save.

Tregar
13-09-2011, 21:23
How was that?

ashc
13-09-2011, 21:54
I can't remember the combo offhand, but it was something mounted, seadragon cloak vs. Shooting with enchanted shield etc etc. . .

Meant you had to have hefty save modifiers to get them to save worse than failing on a 1.

Or of course whack em with something ignoring armour saves and laugh. Hur hur hur.