PDA

View Full Version : Are Cold One Knights and still great cavalry?

Nagash333
11-09-2011, 16:34
Hi everyone, I used to play Dark Elves for the whole of 6th ed. I've been enticed back, in no small part as a result of reading the excellent Sundering series.

I used to love using a unit of CoK led by a bsb with Hydra Banner, is this still a worthwhile combo backed up with a +1 attack from a CoB?

I'l be mostly playing against Dwarfs and Chaos Warriors, it seems like 3 attacks each, hatred and str 6 striking first should be pretty decent! Not to mention that the cold ones can always chip in a couple of extra kills.

Also, as a sort of add on, I understand the love for Shadow magic but I can't resist Dark Magic, Black Horror was always a favourite in 6th, looks even better now!

Any comments much appreciated.

dwarfhold13
11-09-2011, 17:09
I haven't used them in 8th as I switched gears to other armies. but my favorite in 7th was running 6 of them with a banner and charging them up with the cauldron.. they hit harder than a fully loaded mack truck!
i've heard they work like this in 8th but you almost need 10 of them to get them to work like they need to...

decker_cky
11-09-2011, 17:41
Personally, I would favour a unit or two of 5 CoKs over a larger unit with a BSB. Great supporting unit, but you don't need to sink 400+ pts unit a unit of cavalry. 5 with the cauldron blessing still hits almost as hard as adding the hydra banner in there anyways, and it lets you put the BSB somewhere safer....like on the cauldron. :P

sulla
11-09-2011, 20:57
Yes they are still great, but...

...There are several armies out there who can field significant amounts of high strength troops, and now your cav can't fight it's way out of combat by going first, so you will have to weather all those attacks in return.

'Soft' knights are better off picking battles that they can win in a single phase, like using them as artillery hunters or hellcannon/other monster killers. In other words, generally better off in small disposable units.

They are also good for support charges into the flank of an ongoing combat because they won't concede as many casualties as infantry might doing the same job. Unfortunately, they are still not as good as a hydra for this purpose though due to the big guy's bargain basement price.

Chain
11-09-2011, 21:19
Well I 6 is pretty good

It's also pretty intersting that you can now pretty much spam magic items on your champion
something like Luckstone,Ironcurse Icon beg to be taken if not in use elsewhere

a18no
12-09-2011, 19:26
Hi everyone, I used to play Dark Elves for the whole of 6th ed. I've been enticed back, in no small part as a result of reading the excellent Sundering series.

I used to love using a unit of CoK led by a bsb with Hydra Banner, is this still a worthwhile combo backed up with a +1 attack from a CoB?

I'l be mostly playing against Dwarfs and Chaos Warriors, it seems like 3 attacks each, hatred and str 6 striking first should be pretty decent! Not to mention that the cold ones can always chip in a couple of extra kills.

Also, as a sort of add on, I understand the love for Shadow magic but I can't resist Dark Magic, Black Horror was always a favourite in 6th, looks even better now!

Any comments much appreciated.

I don't like to give Cauldron bonus to CoK cause you only buff the rider, not the cold one. I prefer witches or executionner, even warriors (KB) over knights.

I don't like Fighter BSB anymore. Since they die instantly when they break, they cost a lot. With dark elf, the cauldron BSB is my all time favorite!! You can make fun and just give them +1mvt, +1 ld, or naked.

Good luck!

Imperial Stormtrooper
12-09-2011, 20:34
Are cold one knights still great cavalry? Sure, in relation to other cavalry they are pretty strong. Are Cavalry anywhere near as powerful as they were in 6th and 7th edition? Not in the least. As said before, Cavalry are now best suited for war machine/monster hunting, or used solely as support, or need to be supported.

Gone are the days of 7th when a powerful unit of cavalry could roll over entire armies.

Questionable-Methods
13-09-2011, 22:10
I've been playing a couple games to lately to get up to speed with 8th edition. They still hit pretty hard but with the current rules a lot of their bite is gone.

I would maybe keep a unit of 5-7 around but don't go crazy spending points on them.

Instead put the points to pick up more Xbows or Corsairs. They seem to be doing pretty awesome in this edition.

popisdead
14-09-2011, 20:45
They are solid and scary. Any configureation of them is good. 5, 10, 14+. The banner of uh,.. i cannot remember, the +1A banner helps too.

EnternalVoid
15-09-2011, 05:15
Something to consider is that 5-6 of them are not bad as monster hunters with the Banner of Eternal Flames. While I have seen people use it on Witch Elves they don't quite have the speed of Cav. Also they might have meater targets.

I have found Cav in general are not bad at hunting monsters, and I doubt Cold one knights would be bad at it either. With S4 and Lances they will be wounding most monsters on 3+ or 4+, and monster monsters have 4+ to 5+ armor. On top of that most monsters are WS3 or 4, so they are hitting on 3+ with reroll from Hatred. Against those monsters with T5 even the cold ones bites can possible hurt and are also flaming attacks thanks to the banner.

In addition for protection the knights can not be thunderstomped *save by things in Storms of Magic*, have good leadership and high initative to insure they hit first and if necessary first the second turn. Also if I remember right their Stupidity might made the unit immune to Psychology. With just a bit of magic support or Cauldron support they should not have to much trouble with most monsters. Even some of the Toughest monsters with some Shadow magic can be brought down a few pegs.

They are also not bad at supporting the rest of your army against blocks with regeneration, as their I6 means they hit before alot of things in the dark elf army and can inflict a flaming wound or two to knock out that regen before the rest attack.