PDA

View Full Version : 2k ogres, gutstar, pointers appreciated :)

jack da greenskin
11-09-2011, 17:58
Hi all, thinking about running:

slaughtermaster, lvl 4, rockeye, gruts sickle, ironfist, dragonbane gem - 343
Bruiser BSB, ironfist, runemaw, HA, deathcheater - 218
butcher, ironfist, Hellheart. 153 (beasts? or death)

15 ironguts, command, dragon banner, 725
6 bulls, command - 210

4 leadbelchers, 172

Ironblaster - 170

-1996-

3 characters in the irongut unit, buffing them, +6 on the SM to cast as he needs to get higher castings on trollguts et al because runemaw will deflect them otherwise. Runemaw does protect me from uber spells and debuffs though, which is good.

Any help, strategies or pointers much appreciated :) Thanks in advance

CarlostheCraven
11-09-2011, 23:12
Hi

That deathstar will do really well most of the time, but you are still not protected from the spells that really hurt ogres - purple sun and pit of shades. Expect to autolose those games most of the time if they get that spell off. I ran a very similar unit with the old book and when it works, it's fantastic. The first time you get hit by a fully powered purple and lose 10 of the 15 ogres that get hit, your fun time is over. You just can't recover from losing 430 points to one spell (not to mention the fully recharged magic phase due to death's signature effect)

Deathstar-hammer works until your rock gets crushed by your opponent's paper.

On other notes, I find it awfully risky to run with the sickle on your slaughtermaster (who happens to be the general). I would rather put the butcher at risk with it and have two casters with +4 to cast.

Finally, there so many other great options in the new book that limiting your self to a deathstar and three small units seems like a waste. Why not take more of the cool stuff on offer? At the very least, try some of the vastly improved maneaters!

Cheers,
Nate

MAD MAN-A-TRON
13-09-2011, 02:18
Have to be honest, this really falls short for me, although in most playing environments players should have their lore picked out before the game, although with all the new ogre players around, it's not hard to foresee a bunch of death and shadow casters. My point being that unit, while being a beast, is likely to get everything thrown at it. I feel like you are limiting yourself.

rocdocta
13-09-2011, 03:52
i think alot of units will dance around it and magic/shoot it to death. sure you have a hellheart, but what if you roll badly for distance?

thesheriff
13-09-2011, 06:48
Man, with all of those GW ironguts, why aren't your running thundertusks to go with them? Two monsters with ASL aura next to, if not in, a combat with the ironguts seems like a pretty good shout.

Go with lore of beasts on the butcher. Wyssans is great on ogres (makes them more like treekin statwise then :evilgrin:).

I'm not sure about your build on the mages. How about;

Lv.4, Hellheart, Talismain of preservation, rock eye.
Lv.1, Dispel scroll, ironcurse icon.

Grits sickle is too risky on the lv4, and not really that useful on the lv1. And a scroll is always nice.

thesheriff

N1AK
13-09-2011, 09:56
Any help, strategies or pointers much appreciated :) Thanks in advance

Don't bother. Deathstars are about the easiest type of power gaming lists to produce (you won't get even grudging respect for it), they're boring to play and play against, they're susceptible to a number of tactics and if you do win don't expect anyone to give you the slightest bit of credit.

Lets assume you play somewhere that douche-hammer lists like this are acceptable:

DE Mindrazor
How will you handle 20+ re-roll to hit S8 Corsair attacks against your Slaughtermaster, another 12 against your BSB and another 12 against your Butcher?

Vampire
GW Graveguard + Drakenhoff + Crown
Forbidden Lore (Death): Purple Sun
Ethereal Coach or Wraiths

Wood Elves 70+ Glade Guard in units of 10. 3+ Eagles to stop you advancing.

Dwarves Unkillable Stubborn shieldbearer Lord-pedo

Skaven Slave tarpits and more shooting, after you got shot up on the way in.

Daemons Masque, Skulltaker, Flamers, Kairos (Death: Purple Sun)

Warriors of Chaos Good luck against 3+ Ward, 3 attack, stubborn S5 Chosen...

The list goes on and on. So to summarise: It's a deathstar which automatically makes your opponent dislike you. It's also susceptible to all the standard high powered warhammer army tactics so you'll only get lucky vs newbs or people with soft lists.

Deathbysoup
13-09-2011, 14:28
BSB has runemaw, 2+ save vs magic. That should stop any purple suns.

Mid'ean
13-09-2011, 14:45
BSB has runemaw, 2+ save vs magic. That should stop any purple suns.

Nope. As purple sun is not "targeted" at the unit. You cast it, it appears in front of the wizard and you point which way you want it to go. Can even cast it while in combat. Runemaw won't kick in. Will stop PoS though.

Lord Inquisitor
13-09-2011, 14:53
Doesn't work on purple sun since it doesn't target the unit.

3 characters in the irongut unit, buffing them, +6 on the SM to cast as he needs to get higher castings on trollguts et al because runemaw will deflect them otherwise.

Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh????????

I NEVER NOTICED THAT!

It doesn't specify enemy spells!!! :eek:

That could be an issue! Wonder if that'll get FAQed?

Are "target all units within range" spells really ignored by Rune Maw? They still "target" the unit?