PDA

View Full Version : Giant tactica in 2400 list

Nickthebear
12-09-2011, 12:49
Thought I'd start this see if any one has any tips on how best use a giant. Ive got a 2.4k list sorted which is as below and was wondering how i can use my giant in this. Obviously stay away from shooters, take out shooters with something else and let the giant go to town. anything else?

Black orc warboss + pig + talisman of protection + enchanted shield + crown of command 269

Savage orc shaman level 3 170

Goblin big boss + BSB + spider banner + short bow + shield 149

Night goblin shaman + level2 + dispell scroll + terrorfying mask of eee!! 135

33 orc big unz + command + shields + war banner + additional weapons 400

36 night goblins + 2 x fanatics + netters + short bows + musician 223

28 Black orcs + std + musician + shields + banner of swiftness 399

5 savage orc boar boyz + musician + additional hand weapons 110

2 speak chukkas + 1 extra bully for one of them 80

Mangler squigs 65

4 river trolls 180

Giant + war paint 220

My bsb will be with the short bow unit (along with the gobbo shaman) to give them poisned shots and alot of them, shoudl get few sneaky wounds from that unit and anyone who want to try charging them will have couple lunatics to go through then the unit has numbers, poison, nets and cause terror to equal things up abit. (would really look forward to someone charging that unit...few suprises...they will no doubt guess the fanatics but then the nets will hopefully make them weak, the terror make hardly any hits hit if they fail leadership hopefully and i will just poision them :)) The shaman if he gets the spell will boost the units poison as well so auto wound on 5+, thats going to be nearly 30 shots first turn so with auto wounds on 5 or even 6 should kill something surely

general with the black orcs just running round smashing things, variety of weapons means they are more versatile to destroy different types of units

Orc shaman in with the big unz. nowt sepacial there jsut zap and attack

boar boyz and trolls going for warmachines with quigs and giant going for whatever they can squish really

I should mention, units cant be more than 400 points or more than 40 models. these are the rules from the tourny im making this list for

Nickthebear
12-09-2011, 20:59
I do like this army list, and I'm hoping it will do well but surely someone can offer some advice

russellmoo
12-09-2011, 21:16
Some other options available for the units you have taken-

I've found river trolls can also be used as a sort of anti-tarpit- holding up large units of poor ws low strength troops- they are also good as BSB assassins-

The giant is also useful against most monsters-

Gooner
12-09-2011, 21:27
Giant is a monster hunter first and foremost. Aim for things with lower initiative than it and should be able to deal with it. Then free flank or rear charge units of low strength.

Nickthebear
12-09-2011, 21:56
Id never thought of using my giant to kill other monsters, seems like a good idea. and yeah trolls would be good at character killing as they could get two or three (or more if the characters massive) to vomit on them and then stomp them...very good points to keep in mind. cheers guys keep the tips coming

Coldblood666
12-09-2011, 23:33
Giants are also good for breaking huge units of troops with their Yell and Bawl attack.

Nickthebear
13-09-2011, 05:49
That's what I tend to use them for myself, cant complain when a 200 point model scares and chases down a 400 elite unit ay :)

Nickthebear
13-09-2011, 12:49
Is this as far as giants can be utilised then? suppose for 200 points (220 with the warpaint) it isnt bad i gueess

amysrevenge
13-09-2011, 20:47
To really use a giant, you need to have lots of other targets for the enemy to shoot at. Manglers, squig herds/hoppers. black orcs, boar boys - these are all prime shooting targets that can draw attention away from the giant (or the giant can draw attention away from them - either way it can be good).

Also, I've found that I get some nice mileage out of Hand of Gorking the giant out of the front arc of BS shooters in early turns.