What are base sizes for:
-hellcannon
-mammotha
-lammasu
-great taurus
-khaos spined beast
-exalted daemons
-(hippogryph, griffon)

And people complaining about weak Exalted Bloodthirster and not cost worthy. Just thinking how make it "cost worthy". Some say heroic cilling blow, but what you think?

Scalebug
12-09-2011, 18:24
Hellcannon is trickiest, it has never had a base... It fits nicely on an old 80*100 mm movement tray, and that is what a lot of people use. It was listed as such for the closest thing to an "official" base size chart since 2003, the French GT one.

Exalted Daemons, looking at Forge Worlds site, go on 100*100 mm bases, exept for the Keeper, which is on a Chariot base. Seems like the designers have gone strictly what it fits on, not considering the impact of fewer models attacking the keeper than the others, but...

Mammoth... no idea..

Spined Beast and Great Spawn go on Chariot bases, again from looking at the forgeworld site.

The others, Griffon, Lammasu, etc, are on 50mm bases, the default for monsters now. Source; GW's site.

Ignore the ****** yelling "But mine came on a 40mm base! Rules say use the one it came on!". The rules doesn't say that... :rolleyes:

In any case, you are not going to use them in hardcore competative games anyway, tournament style, so anything agreeable with your opponent should work.

Ravenar
13-09-2011, 15:24
Besides calling people *****... where exactly does it say that I must use a 50 mm base for my Bret hippogryph? I play with it on the base it came with, a base that I designed as I painted and have no plan to change... Everything my gaming group and I have seen says to play with the base the model comes with. So I am unsure of this hardcore ruling I have seen you sling about in the last few posts involving base sizes.

red_zebra_ve
13-09-2011, 15:35
My old Dark Pegasus came with a cavalry base, and I have 3 of them! should I use that? :confused:

Scalebug
13-09-2011, 16:15
Ask yourself; is it fair that I get an advantage I am not paying points for, by using a smaller base?

Yes? No?

And Ravenar, If you want to come into a thread and be insulted by something already said, that is not my fault, I didn't call you a *****.

Ravenar
13-09-2011, 18:21
I am not insulted, but it also is not very prudent to insult the other side of your argument by name-calling. Honestly it detracts from what could be a valid point.

With that aside, where are those rules listed at? I am without books during my deployment but I could swear I have read that the base size you bought the model with is the one you should use. Let's face it, using an older model with a different base size (my example being a Bret Lord on a hypogriff) than what the current model sports is situationally an advantage and disadvantage. Of course the same could be said for swapping base sizes. It is all situational. I do know until a ruling states otherwise, I will not swap my battle scene 40 mm base for a blank 50 mm one. I am following the rules and do not feel any sense of unease by doing so.

So yes, I am saying use the base it came on with a small change from your quote following the ***** statement. I do believe the rules state to do so...

Yrrdead
13-09-2011, 18:40
Scalebug - you are wrong by the way. You've been very declarative about this subject with zero proof. Because there is none. So don't come off like you are the final word on base size.

The people saying "Use the base it came on." Are saying that for a reason. Because that has been tournament legal for gw sanctioned events for well just about forever. And calling those people ****** and then turning around and telling people what base size to use based on according to you; "what it fits on, what people use, pictures from forge world, what they come on."

What?

On topic, GW has steadfastly ignored this issue and most likely will continue to do so. If you think it is going to be a problem at an official event , I recommend that you contact the event/Tournament organizer as soon as possible to resolve this. Otherwise for more casual games it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Scalebug
13-09-2011, 18:54
You are smarter than that, Yrrdead, there is a difference between looking at what it comes with (because that is the only thing we have to go on, since lamentably GW has not deemed it worthwhile to put out a base chart since 2003...) and claiming that this means you should be allowed the advantage of a smaller base because a model of a certain type was on that 15+ years ago, before 50mm bases was the standard for monster type-models (because, well, the 50mm base first appeared with the greater Daemons in the mid 90's).

If it was OK to put models on any base, why wouldn't everyone do it for any model?

The OP asked, I simply answered him with what we have to go on. I also put down the inevitable dumb answers, 97% of which tends to be based (pun unintended) on some lame "Waah! GW tries to force us to buy new models! I will have none of that, fight the power!" notion.

Yrrdead
13-09-2011, 18:59
That isn't what people are claiming, or at least it isn't what I'm claiming. The whole use what it came with camp means exactly that. Have a pewter dragon that is 10yrs old? It came on a 50mm base and is perfectly fine to use. Obviously putting a new Plastic Dragon (Black, HE) on a 50mm base is not fine.

I'm not sure though how you have misconstrued the "use what it came with" catch all to be a statement of basing to gain an advantage.

Scalebug
13-09-2011, 19:10
Because that is inevitably what it leads to. A monster on a 40mm base is better than one on a 50mm base. Not seeing what is wrong with that is just not too clever.

Hragnar Goreskull
13-09-2011, 19:22
Spined Beast and Great Spawn go on Chariot bases, again from looking at the forgeworld site.

I have both of these models and they do not fit on chariot bases, not without a foot hanging over the edge. The next size up base that they fit on comfortably is the screaming bell base which work just fine.:skull:

Yrrdead
13-09-2011, 19:24
Well suffice to say that the policy of "use what it came with" has been in use for at least the last 10yrs.

Surprise it hasn't "inevitably" lead to massive base cheating. Of course maybe that is just my experience. I'm sorry if you've had a bad experience with people trying to cheat you in this manner. But if you think this is a wide spread phenomenon , you are mistaken.

Also I appreciate you insulting me. I think the insults really help your "baseless" argument.