PDA

View Full Version : Screaming Bell - Yay or Nay?

Akkaryn
12-09-2011, 20:16
So, I took my Screaming Bell out for its debut yesterday against a joint Lizardman/H. Elf army.

Overall I was somewhat disheartened with it. For a 200 point model it didn't really do much.

The bell ringing particularly didn't do anything in any turn aside the last in which it turned the game for a draw to a win as I managed to roll 3 hits against every enemy unit, killing an eagle, skink priest, old blood and the remnants of a dragon prince unit (Double 1 armour roll was quite amusing to watch)

Despite it scraping me a win I just think the 200 points can be spent better elsewhere, Next game I will be trying out a Plague furnace instead which I hope will yield better results.

I had the bell in a 40 strong clan rat unit. I was just wondering what people generally think about the Bell and how do they play it.

russellmoo
12-09-2011, 20:26
This depends on the rest of your army?

wikear
12-09-2011, 20:29
It's good for horde armies closely packed together so they can all draw bonuses from it. That's what i think.

Sent from my iPager using Tapatalk '80s Edition!

Balerion
12-09-2011, 23:38
First off, it actually costs about 125 points, because it gives your Grey Seer the effects of two talismans that would cost a combined 75 points (and also be illegal to combine). ;)

Secondly, the ringing isn't where its true value lies -- the 18" ld bubble is. The ringing is just a happy bonus (that was powerful enough to win you the game on one beneficial result).

Zentdiam
13-09-2011, 03:08
Definitely try them both out, but I ended up taking the bell more. I started with the furnace and found with no save it dies really fast. Everyone tends to target it as much as possible since it is so scary. The bell tends to last far longer and provide more benefits in my experience as it has a nice save. Plus the 360 casting and leadership bubble is what it is for.

Razaan
13-09-2011, 03:45
I bring the bell, but I never make the Grey Seer my general. I find that when the bell also has my general, it eats a lot of cannonballs and stone throwers. A 4+ ward save can't protect both of them against all cannons, and they usually both die in the first shooting phase against my empire friend.

But, put your general on foot, bring the bell and throw in a couple HPA's and possibly a plague furnace and you'll end up with enough target saturation that they can't all be killed before they close.

BlackPawl
13-09-2011, 08:31
The bell is a good option, but it has a different task than a furnace, so they are two different options.

I will use a bell in my next tournament because I want my grey seer to stay alive. A few games before a single death mage killed my general, a plague priest (on foot) and a my BSB, and with a 2+ ward against most spells, S5 against dwellers and I5 against Ini test spells like purple sun you have a good chance that he survive till the end of game.
Only do not go into close combat with him (or only against weak troopps and than only if you have skalm, fencer blades and maybe rival hide).

The ringing is a nice effect, but I would not depend my strategy around it. Better is the MR2 for the whole unit, 18" leader ship and that the unit is unbreakable, so you have something that skaven did not have often: a unit you can depend on.

tarrym
13-09-2011, 19:42
I've also tried the bell and found that in most games it doesn't return it's points in a way that can be directly counted - which is not to say it wasn't worth it's points :)

Personally in games around 2000-2500pts I have found that I'm better off without either the Bell of the Furnace and the pts are better sunk into hordes of rats, in particular SV and PMs.

At larger points values I'd certainly like to think I would re-introduce both of these beautiful models.

wikear
13-09-2011, 21:28
Secondly, the ringing isn't where its true value lies -- the 18" ld bubble is.

Mate, could you point me in the right direction. Where in the rulebook or army book does it say Screaming Bell has 18" Ld bubble? I always thought it's 12". I'm not saying you are wrong, just want to see in with my own eyes :D

The bearded one
13-09-2011, 21:43
It's a large target. The inspiring presence rule (and the BSB rule too) have their range increased to 18" on a large target.

wikear
13-09-2011, 21:55
It's a large target. The inspiring presence rule (and the BSB rule too) have their range increased to 18" on a large target.

Thanks man!

Akkaryn
14-09-2011, 06:36
Interesting comments, I think I will give it another shot. I'm still learning Skaven so it might just be it starts to prove more useful once I play better with them.

I'm finding it very difficult to learn how to play them properly with my main army being Chaos, I'm struggling to get out of the charge and kill mentality. Although a block of slaves not only held up a unit of Saurus and an Old One for 4 combat phases actually managed to kill 15 out of the 20.

BlackPawl
14-09-2011, 07:49
[QUOTE=tarrym;5776599]I've also tried the bell and found that in most games it doesn't return it's points in a way that can be directly counted - which is not to say it wasn't worth it's points :)

QUOTE]

A Bell is not an offensive part of your army, but a defensive one for your grey seer. Don't expect that the ringing will kill anything, but if your enemy can't kill your general than this is good enough.

You also will not ask how many points your ward save talisman will "return it points" if the wearer is still alive at the end of the battle, or? ;)