PDA

View Full Version : If the new Bret book is balanced would you be tempted?

Sedge
13-09-2011, 13:32
With the Bret book strongly tipped to be the next army book I wonder if they will be seen as the new hot army similar to ogres at the moment. Many players seam to have come out of the shadows for Ogres with what at first glance looks like a good balanced book, the models were always cool but the original books weakness put many off.

Brets also are percieved as a weak book (I disagree) with limited play options; would a new balanced book tempt lots of players to jump onto the bandwagon?

BBWags
13-09-2011, 14:09
I said yes if a strong build is available not because I'm a power gamer, but because if they get an army wide shaft for some reason, I wouldn't put myself through the aggravation :-). I want to start them up as a sort of side project. I actually currently gave about 2k points of brets but I am going to sell them to help fund lizardmen, then whenever the new book comes out, if it's decent and ESPECIALLY if they get new knight models, I'll but a box, paint it, then move to the next, even if it's a super slow process. with other armies, lizardmen, o&g and the like, I just want to do paint washes and be done. But with brettonia, I would definitely take my time to do a superb job with making each knight unique and extra detailed.

Spiney Norman
13-09-2011, 14:46
Nope, nothing against Brets per se, but the cost of starting a new army is prohibitive for me right now. I've already had 2 of my existing fantasy armies and 2 of my existing 40K armies get new books in the last 12 months and with Dread fleet out next month and Necrons the month after my future is already looking very skint.

Kjata
13-09-2011, 16:54
Probably not. I like them now, but whenevr a new army book comes out i hate them. When i started Skaven and Grey Knights were my favorite, up until they got a new book.

Although, it would give me an excuse to rebuild my House Lannister army.

Malorian
13-09-2011, 19:12
They were my first army and so yes I will still play them :)

MLP
13-09-2011, 19:31
One of my first large sized armies too from when they came out along with lizardmen. I'm really Looking forward to seeing what they come up with in the new edition and will most definite keep them as my main army whatever the case.

tarrym
13-09-2011, 19:39
I've been interested in starting a Bret army for some time now - but got side tracked with a little rat-based project which quickly swamped my waking moments :)

A new book would certainly be hard to resist.

biggreengribbly
13-09-2011, 19:43
I'd be tempted, but they would have to make some impractical changes to pretty much the entire range of Knight models to drag me in :shifty:

Malorian
13-09-2011, 19:52
I'd be tempted, but they would have to make some impractical changes to pretty much the entire range of Knight models to drag me in :shifty:

If the knights don't do it for you than brets just aren't your army ;)

Kind of like how I would do a tomb king list if they weren't just a bunch of skeletons :p

drear
13-09-2011, 19:59
if they get a massive dragon, then ill be tempted. but looking at the men at arms , and how many horses id have to paint..
id maybe build 500 points to use as an allied contingent in bigger games.

for me they'd need a huige overhall to interest me.

Spyral
13-09-2011, 20:04
Thematically they are interesting but aren't 'good' enough.

cyberspite
13-09-2011, 20:15
Depends on the models not the rules for me, but I doubt they would get new kotr so probably not, unless I could convert some from any new knight kit that is. I could see them getting some stonking character models though.

Borzoni
13-09-2011, 20:31
I'd be keen, again provided that their are new knights. Given the current trend with the new books coming hand in hand with giant monster kits, i wonder if the Bretts will get anything?

dragonet111
13-09-2011, 20:44
I will stick with them. I'm waiting for the new armybook to see all the new shiny goodness I will be able to buy :)

sulla
13-09-2011, 22:02
Nighty-knights on colourful horsies aren't really my thing. Can't see myself playing them at this stage.

russellmoo
14-09-2011, 05:08
Where's the wood elf book?

They need one more-

Sedge
14-09-2011, 06:05
I agree that the wood elf book needs it most but I believe it's more about the model ranges that need redoing or require gaps filled. The beets could really do with some updating (though I like the current knights).

Ratbeast
14-09-2011, 08:58
I would bring my brets of of retirement, really want to paint them up in the red and white of the knights templer :) cant wait for the new book, hopefully the get a char the can go head to head with big monsters and pwn them

Alathir
14-09-2011, 09:02
They were my first army, although admittedly not my number 1 pick. Still, I love them to bits so I will definitely continuing them, without a shred of hesitation. My biggest fear is what they will do with them in the background...

Althwen
14-09-2011, 09:36
Thay'd have to give the army a seriously major overhaul. I'm talking a BIG change.
There's about 2 things that I like about the current Bretonnian fluff and models, and that's Grail knights and the Relic.

I find playing against Brets mostly boring. It's all just knights and a couple of men-at-arms loading rocks into a Trebuchet.
They systematically bore you to death with their inability to really reliably chomp through most units, and at the same time prevent you from killing them with their high armour and Dual-Hiding-Damsels who will just Regrow your efforts from last turn. Bweh.

Wesser
14-09-2011, 10:01
It was my first army. Picked it as 14-year old after watching Ivanhoe (the old version with Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor- no relation).

So yes ill get the book, no question.

How much use they'll get will depend on the feel of the army after the update.

Personally I believe that the author should be forced to watch the above-mentioned film at least 5 times as it conveys that spirit of knights that are:

Chivalrous, but ruthless
Arrogant, but honorable
Brave, but reckless

Also Robin Hood has a brief appearance which matches my wishes for foresters/rangers

Tempted? Yea
Excited? If the author is the kind of person who'd grow a beard in order to properly write the Dwarf book then ...heck yea... else myeah (fingesr crossed)

Korraz
14-09-2011, 10:03
Sure, I could play Brets.
Or I could do the smart thing and have cannons, and all magic lores, and other cool stuff on top of knights.
Not to mention that their fluff makes them one of the least sympathetic races out there. Even Skaven and Orcs have more appeal with their antics than the arrogant frenchmen with their false and empty concepts of so-called "honour" and "chivalry".

Sh4d0w
14-09-2011, 12:17
woah woah woah who says Brets are tipped to be the next book? As far as most of the rumours ive seen its actually dwarves, not only are they trying to compete with forgeworld and avatars anf flames of war in thw dwarf department, dwarves are also the oldest book that hasnt been updated.

Barring that i would like to see brets get updated, there not as unplayable as wood elves are but still need some update.

Mr_Foulscumm
14-09-2011, 12:20
Or I could do the smart thing and have cannons, and all magic lores, and other cool stuff on top of knights.
Not to mention that their fluff makes them one of the least sympathetic races out there. Even Skaven and Orcs have more appeal with their antics than the arrogant frenchmen with their false and empty concepts of so-called "honour" and "chivalry".

I want to like bretonnians, but I have to agree, their fluff is extremely unsympathetic.

Also, big beasty for Brets? Hyppogryph update?

Alathir
14-09-2011, 12:25
Not to mention that their fluff makes them one of the least sympathetic races

Yeah, because the Empire and the rest of the Old World is a bastion of culture, civilization, equality and tolerance... Oh wait...

And by 'cool stuff' you mean that awesome-and-not-totally-stupid necron horse right?

T10
14-09-2011, 12:27
Brets also are percieved as a weak book (I disagree) with limited play options; would a new balanced book tempt lots of players to jump onto the bandwagon?

Perhaps all players will cease to play Bretonnia. Or not. One of those.

-T10

Korraz
14-09-2011, 13:00
Yeah, because the Empire and the rest of the Old World is a bastion of culture, civilization, equality and tolerance... Oh wait...

And by 'cool stuff' you mean that awesome-and-not-totally-stupid necron horse right?

I, for one, like the horse.

And compared to the backwards Bretonnia, the Empire IS a bastion of culture, civilization and tolerance. The same goes für High Elves, Wood Elves and Dwarfs. Orks, Skaven and Ogres, while evil, are at least amusing. The other races don't even try to justify their actions. Bretonnia on the other hand... I can't respect a country where a genius gets three copper coins and a pig for an invention that has saved the whole country, and then gets send back to the shitholes, just because he can't possibly be actually do something else on account of being a peasant.

Alathir
14-09-2011, 13:52
I, for one, like the horse.

And compared to the backwards Bretonnia, the Empire IS a bastion of culture, civilization and tolerance. The same goes für High Elves, Wood Elves and Dwarfs. Orks, Skaven and Ogres, while evil, are at least amusing. The other races don't even try to justify their actions. Bretonnia on the other hand... I can't respect a country where a genius gets three copper coins and a pig for an invention that has saved the whole country, and then gets send back to the shitholes, just because he can't possibly be actually do something else on account of being a peasant.

Warhammer isn't asking you to respect it's factions, it's designed to be satirical in alot of ways! ;)

Bretonnia is brilliant because of it's hypocrises and dichotomies. You can find many lords who are corrupt and foul and then you can find those almost disney-esque paragons who slay dragons and defend the weak - and if you claim Bretonnia has none of those then you are choosing only to see the worst in it, which is admittedly easy to do. ;)

And even if the Empire does compare well, it still isn't saying much about them. Their lords are just as concerned with furthering their own power bases, their people live in utter fear of persecution from their own church's templars (note the Witch Hunter's manual which states one should carry around a knife with a retractable blade so you can at least make a good example of some innocent sod).

The High Elves are arrogant facists who think slavery is pretty much okay as long as you aren't enslaving other elves.

The Dwarfs are stubborn traditionalists so self indulged that they are a large factor in the decline of their own civilization.

But ...

The Empire has also a much greater idea of what it means for someone to be a 'citizen' and is much more willing to embrace the new and adapt. Their leaders are tempered, experienced generals and politicians who are worthy of respect.

The High Elves are also stalwart defenders of their way of life and (mostly) committed to the prevalence of order and peace in the world.

And the Dwarfs are tireless, dedicated guardians to whom the world owes far more than it will ever know.

... This is all by way of saying that each faction is as much 'good' and 'evil' as you choose to perceive and I definitely don't intend for this post to degrade the thread into one of those pathetic faction bashing arguments. I doubt this post has changed your mind but hey, worth a shot!

Korraz
14-09-2011, 14:19
I know very well that factions have their upsides and downsides.
But the downsides of the Brets weigh much heavier than the upsides, to me.

Alathir
14-09-2011, 14:22
I know very well that factions have their upsides and downsides.
But the downsides of the Brets weigh much heavier than the upsides, to me.

No trouble, if that's how you feel.

MLP
14-09-2011, 14:47
woah woah woah who says Brets are tipped to be the next book? As far as most of the rumours ive seen its actually dwarves, not only are they trying to compete with forgeworld and avatars anf flames of war in thw dwarf department, dwarves are also the oldest book that hasnt been updated.

I'm sure the bret book is the oldest being released in 2003. Then wood elf then dwarves.

Chain
14-09-2011, 15:45
unlikely, but who knows perhaps a model or 2 could be tempting

Still think it would have been quite nice with a Tomb Kings vs Bretonia starter set

raymon
14-09-2011, 15:58
*Looks at his Ogres, Dwarfs and Brettonian collection*

I have stumbled in some kind of golden age (if I do not count in my dogs of war...the poor sods who have to mimic empire).

Brettonians is my current project, cause I started out with Dogs of War for which i used Brettonians as cavalry and started to build from there to eventually end up with a 3000 points list.

So yeah I would play them. I have put myself to the trouble of making a 50 men at arms horde and i only need to paint a grail relique, 9 grail knights and 5pegasi. Want to finish that up before the new releases and to finally buy some ogre goodies.

Odin
14-09-2011, 16:20
And this thread is in the Tactics section why, exactly...?

arthurfallz
15-09-2011, 14:21
I will continue playing Brets because, well, I own a lot, and I like the fluff. I am hoping the new book will open up a few different strategies for me, maybe round the army out a bit, and fix some holes.

It may attract some new players, but really, what brings people to play armies has less to do with the book and lot more to do with the models, play-style and power level depending on the gamer, so it's a damned hard question to ask. I think as each new book comes out for 8th people will be curious and might grab some.

Okuto
15-09-2011, 14:29
I already play them so yeah I'd be happy to get them out of the case and ride my enemies down.

Would like to still see my hordes of colorful knights charging across the field.....yeah and those rabble peasants following them.....

Warhammer Madman
18-09-2011, 18:53
god yes I would drop my dark elves in a heartbeat for my brets...

MrCarbohydrate
18-09-2011, 18:59
I have been thinking about Brets for a while now, mostly because I really want to take the Knights of Dol Amroth models from LotR, stick them on some WH Cavalry bases, and use those for knights with many Pegusi. But I don't know what the general consensus is on using LotR models in WH Fantasy, which has prevented me from doing so.

And, yeah, Knights are awesome, even if Cavalry is probably the worst army option currently going in 8th ed.

v That is a fantastic point.

Harwammer
18-09-2011, 20:28
what brings people to play armies has ... more to do with ... the power
You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Spyral
19-09-2011, 12:23
If they were more 'noble' 'holy' 'good' or generally honourable then probably. The way their fluff is at the moment (plus largely so-so minis) I'd skip them. Empire cavalry is more noble esque

Fawful
19-09-2011, 12:32
I would play them if they make a cavalry force more viable to play and if they update some of the older (metal) models to the current standard. What I've read of the fluff makes them stand out, which is a good thing in my opinion. Also an army where you can paint every horse lord with it's own heraldry would be a nice challenge :)

JGoodlink
29-09-2011, 14:48
Thematically they are interesting but aren't 'good' enough.

There is something wrong about a knight on a dragon...

JGoodlink
29-09-2011, 14:49
There is something wrong about a knight on a dragon...

DOH! Quoted the wrong post. Technology thy name is bane!

Sh4d0w
29-09-2011, 14:52
How many times do the rest of us need to point out that Bretonnian's are not the "Next strongly tipped" book to be released. First of all you have wood elves that need more than any army an update and then you have dwarves that have alot of metal models and one of the biggest fan bases out.

On a lighter note i would think of playing my bret's more if we were more competitive hehe :)

Paull
29-09-2011, 15:22
I for one would love to see the Bretonnians brought up to date

and after seeing FW's Leitpold the Black sculpt cannot wait for GW to make a proper bash at sculpting new bretonnian knight models.

I also feel that Bretonnia needs to distance itself more from the Empire army (or more that the empire needs to lose a few aspects that are similar to bretonnia to keep them unique)

Bretonnia should be more spiritual with the knights worshipping the lady and such, where as teh Empire should be based around technology. Would mean Empire would lose Warrior priests and the knightly orders (which would upset most people) but would certainly make a clear distinction and playstyle between the 2 human armies

Sedge
30-09-2011, 12:12
:angel:
How many times do the rest of us need to point out that Bretonnian's are not the "Next strongly tipped" book to be released. First of all you have wood elves that need more than any army an update and then you have dwarves that have alot of metal models and one of the biggest fan bases out.

On a lighter note i would think of playing my bret's more if we were more competitive hehe :)

They were strongly tipped to me :angel: I guess we'll just have to wait and see.;)

Sh4d0w
30-09-2011, 12:16
:angel:

They were strongly tipped to me :angel: I guess we'll just have to wait and see.;)

We will have to see since nobody has any proof otherwise :D. We can assume all we want, GW work in weird and mysterious ways.

Fenrisulfr
30-09-2011, 14:53
I would definitely dust off my bret models and play if the new book works.

The problem for Bretonnia, as I see it, is the fact that the knights must win the battles, and right now they cost so much for units that are going to strike last against A LOT of armies and are only T3.

This is a problem for Bretonnia because of 8th edition rules, and I'm not sure how they could address this without simply saying "ignore these crappy rules."

Lantern
30-09-2011, 22:24
In all honesty, I have no trouble winning with my Bretonnians and I am able to bring varied lists to the table. By and large, I tend to use my superior movement to stay out of combat long enough to frustrate my opponent in to breaking his line, following this by picking off his units one at a time. Supporting my own units, whilst making sure my opponent can't do the same tend to be how I go about it (the 2 pegasus units dont hurt :) ). I am quite happy with my Bretonnians, and could live without them being "improved" for quite some time.

Gallandr
01-10-2011, 20:30
I play brets, so voted that I would go for it anyway. But I do hope they do something about charges and order of fighting (initiative values). Knights can get massacred, and lose all their meaning.

OldMaster
01-10-2011, 23:27
New Knight models will probably see 30 euros per five knigths in exchange for sculpted insignia which I would hate.

Always loved the concept of a true "medieval" army. Would buy a few bawkses if I had the money =)

Hicks
02-10-2011, 06:20
I would be tempted by a combination of a balanced book and new non-knight units.

One of the weakness of the army is really that pretty much everything is some kind of knight. It's just like with Dwarfs, someone looking at the army from afar will think your spamming, while all the units could be different. This can get a little boring, so for me, new units would do more than a super powerfull book.

Skarsnik, the Lord
02-10-2011, 18:37
I will start Brets if a full (or almost full) Peasant army will be useful. I love Peasants' fluff so it'd be great to have a full Peasant army! :D Otherwise maybe not, I don't have time/money to start a new project unless it's something I'm really motivated to do...

- Cheers, Skarsnik.

Awilla the Hun
03-10-2011, 12:36
If the knights don't do it for you than brets just aren't your army ;)

Kind of like how I would do a tomb king list if they weren't just a bunch of skeletons :p

WHAT IS THIS DEGENERACY, COUNTER REVOLUTIONARY PIG-DOG?

I definitely would, because the Revolution needs me, and I can't stomach building another army just now. On the other hand, I'm worried that they decide to 'balance out' superior cavalry by, say, making infantry a special choice. Or getting read of the Peasants' Duty, which was the reason why I didn't choose Empire.

Dreadlordpaul
26-10-2011, 14:49
No offence to the brets or owt but personally as a vampire counts player I believe the vamps need a new book more than the brets because at least you dont have to rely on the general as much plus the only real way for vampires to win anymore seems to be by taking the grave guard deathstar otherwise with them it is possible to win but its also extremely hard

GodlessM
26-10-2011, 14:51
And why is this in tactics?