PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Points Lizardmen

GrandDukeJerot
13-09-2011, 14:21
Slann - 370
Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, Lore of Life

16 Temple Guard - 321
Full Command, Sun Standard of Chotek, Revered is holding Blood Statuette

25 Saurus Warriors - 330
Full Command, Spears

18 Skinks, 3 Kroxigor - 255

3 Salamanders - 225

Total - 1501

I'm planning on running this list against my friends who only play elves (one Dark one High one Wood each). The general idea is to hold fast with my Slann block and just output so much more magic than they can stop, using the Statuette to snipe an opposing caster. The Saurus and Skink blocks are there to go in and clean up after the Salamanders soften up any trouble units (assassin warriors, executioners, swordmasters, etc).

My main worries about the list are about the Skrox block. I've heard people don't like Skrox in 8th ed, haven't had the opportunity to play it out yet. Also I feel like the list has too few blocks at the points level and that my opponents will be walking circles around me. Any suggestions?

Battlehamster
13-09-2011, 15:54
This is not a legal list. Your Skroxigor unit does not have enough skinks in it. You must have at least 8 skinks per Kroxigor so to have 3 Kroxes you need 24 skinks minimum.

I would almost say drop the chotec standard unless your opponent has an ungodly amount of shooting. Your TG have an armor save of 3+ and a toughness of 4, they should be able to survive most shooting (especially with the regen buff cast by the slann).

Try to include at least one unit (5-6 models) of chameleon skinks into the army. Their scout ability is really good, especially in smaller games.

You also might get better results by splitting your salamanders into 2 units instead of one big one. With two units, you have the ability to hit both sides of his army and cause more potential panic tests.

Biggest thing about your Skrox unit is that it won't stand toe to toe with most opposing infantry. Usually it is used as a flanker while your saurus hit the front (to disrupt unit rank bonus and to reduce attacks against). Unless you buff it with the flesh to stone whereby your skinks get alittle more survivable (though a smart opponent will save dice and seek to dispel this when you cast it). I would almost suggest you go with another saurus unit than the skrox but go ahead and try it (but keep that flesh to stone on it if you can).

Don't worry about being flanked so much, it is easy to avoid and even if you do get a side charge into you, that just means more saurus getting their full complement of attacks!

GrandDukeJerot
13-09-2011, 16:21
Okay, thanks. I think I'll replace the Skrox with a block of Saurus. I honestly prefer them in CC anyways.

My main experience is with the Dark Elf player. We've been playing for eight years on and off, and he plays roughly the same list most of the time. Two blocks of warriors with assasins, nasty elite block which is usually is Executioners, a couple of sorcerers and two bolt throwers. I basically never win with Lizardmen because he can out-magic and out-shoot me, and by the time I get into CC with him, he can just wipe the floor with my guys. And with a WE player and a HE player running a good amount of Seaguard, it seems like it would be worth it.

I want to fit in some Chameleon skinks into the list, any good shooting is awesome. How does this sound as a new list?

Slann - 370
Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, Lore of Life

16 Temple Guard - 256
Full Command

25 Saurus Warriors - 270
Full Command, Spears

20 Saurus Warriors - 270
Full Command, Spears

7 Chameleon Skinks - 90
Stalker

3 Salamanders - 240
One extra handler each

Total - 1496

I'm also thinking of dropping the Cupped Hands on the Slann to get Cogitation (spelling?). My DE friend will be spamming the heck out of power of darkness, and making it harder for him to run away with the magic phase is very appealing. Or, should I drop ne of the Focuses for it?

Battlehamster
13-09-2011, 18:20
You really don't need extra handlers for your sallies. The reason for taking 3 of them together is that they share handlers and you won't need extra (9 handlers should be plenty, plus the monster reaction test doesn't really do anything bad for our sallies).

Don't take stalker with your chameleons, you'll be constantly forgetting about his increased ballistic skill anyway plus it is not needed for that unit to be effective. Your chameleons should be cheap and expendable, they are there to harass, march block and take out warmachines and lone characters if possible.

Take those 15 pts from handlers, 8 pts from stalker, plus the 45 you'll save from taking spears off your saurus and you'll have enough to add that third discipline to your slann. Remember that you need to have at least 3 intact ranks to have the spears do any good so especially on that 20 saurus unit, the spears are wasted points especially if you get shot up as much as you say (or if you charge, you don't get the extra rank anyway). I would say only take spears on units of 30 or greater.

Cogitation is a good ability and will let you control their magic phase easier, more valuable than maybe an extra rank of saurus attacks.

Keep cupped hands and try to get off the dwellers below with 6 dice. If you get a miscast great, you decimate one unit with dwellers and use the cupped to blow up one of his mages, increasing your stranglehold on his magic phase. Cogitation taking his 6s means he shouldn't get any irresistable casts off making it easier to dispel the bad stuff.

GrandDukeJerot
13-09-2011, 20:58
I can't have 3 disciplines and cupped hands. That would be 420 points which is well over the 25% allocation of points for lords. I can either have 2 disciplines and cupped hands or 3 disciplines and nothing.

Maybe its just me but that seems like a TERRIBLE idea to drop the spears. Without spears, I can't take advantage of their two attacks in the back rows.

Here's my third list, probably going to use it in a few hours so if anyone wants to weigh in the time is now.

Slann - 370

16 Temple Guard - 256
Full Command

25 Saurus Warriors - 270
Full Command, Spears

20 Saurus Warriors - 270
Full Command, Spears

9 Chameleon Skinks - 108

3 Salamanders - 225

Total - 1499

Grey Mage
14-09-2011, 10:19
Actually you get your full attacks in the second rank- so, yes, you did get the full benefit of their two attacks without needing spears.

And I would take cupped hands of the old ones and if you find becalming cogitation to be incredibly nessecairy drop focus of mystery for it.

Hrmm... other than that I like your list. The point about the spears is a good one- and you could use those points to have two smaller units of chameleon skinks, or get a magic banner on your temple gaurd, like the standard of discipline or the warbanner.

warplock
14-09-2011, 10:39
Maybe its just me but that seems like a TERRIBLE idea to drop the spears. Without spears, I can't take advantage of their two attacks in the back rows.

I may be misinterpreting you, but it sounds like you're saying you don't want the Saurus in the back to miss out on contributing their 2 attacks per model. But infantry can only ever make 1 supporting attack per model. I'd say leave the spears on the block of 25, but drop them from the block of 20, as once you've taken more than 5 casualties you start losing spear attacks.