PDA

View Full Version : Equipping great weapons

Questionable-Methods
13-09-2011, 22:36
When a model comes with a Hand Weapon + Shield, and then is upgraded to carry Great Weapons: is that meant to be 'in addtion to' or 'in replacement of' kind of thing.

I'm asking really to figure out if i can switch between the two. IE- have hand weapons and shields while advancing down the field, then switch to great weapons when they are charging in (using great weaposn for the remainder of that combat).

Scalebug
13-09-2011, 22:49
It says in the armylist entry if you swap something for, or take it in addition to other equipment.

Mostly it is in addition to.

You can use shields while approaching the enemy, including against stand and shoot charge reactions, and then use great weapons in close combat. Note that you in 8th ed no longer have the choice of weapon (like great weapons) or your handweapon (for shield bonus); unless you have a special rule allowing that (like black orcs), you have to use your "special weapon".

Yrrdead
13-09-2011, 22:49
Depends on the wording. In some cases the wording is replace in others it isn't.

In most cases it is moot due to pg 89. Which tells you that you must use a special weapon if you have one. (there are some rare exceptions to this.)

Edit - Ninja Owned

eron12
13-09-2011, 23:42
Regardless each model always has a hand weapon (or a natural weapon that functions as a hand weapon) even though as pointed out, in most cases a model has to use a special weapon if it has one.

Questionable-Methods
14-09-2011, 15:41
Thanks everyone! This was a huge help!

LiquidFlame
14-09-2011, 20:52
Was looking for an answer about this. Thanks.

IrishDelinquent
16-09-2011, 03:21
Also, remember that even if a model is required to exchange a weapon for something like a great weapon, it is still considered to be equipped with a hand weapon (in case the great weapon is destroyed). Handy for when you have a great weapon and shield, but then lose said great weapon to something.

Yrrdead
16-09-2011, 04:30
Also, remember that even if a model is required to exchange a weapon for something like a great weapon, it is still considered to be equipped with a hand weapon (in case the great weapon is destroyed). Handy for when you have a great weapon and shield, but then lose said great weapon to something.

What can make you "lose" a great weapon? Or destroy a great weapon?

Artinam
16-09-2011, 09:13
For magical Great Weapons there is Vauls Unmaking, for mundane weapons I'm not entirely sure.

Yrrdead
16-09-2011, 09:18
For magical Great Weapons there is Vauls Unmaking, for mundane weapons I'm not entirely sure.

The only "magical" great weapon around is a Runed GW from the Dwarf AB. I believe there are some other magical weapon/armor/item destruction things out there.

I asked because I don't know of any item/ability/spell/etc that can destroy mundane Great Weapons or any other mundane weapon for that matter.

Artinam
16-09-2011, 09:47
Sword of the Quest is also a Magical Great Weapon (which incidently can also be used as a handweapon).

Von Wibble
16-09-2011, 17:18
When a model comes with a Hand Weapon + Shield, and then is upgraded to carry Great Weapons: is that meant to be 'in addtion to' or 'in replacement of' kind of thing.

I'm asking really to figure out if i can switch between the two. IE- have hand weapons and shields while advancing down the field, then switch to great weapons when they are charging in (using great weaposn for the remainder of that combat).

Not only can you do that, but you have to.

The only benefit of shields and great weapons on the same model is the increased armour save against shooting. You have to fight hth with great weapons.

Gaargod
16-09-2011, 19:05
Sword of the Quest is also a Magical Great Weapon (which incidently can also be used as a handweapon).

Interesting, weird point comes to mind - the original rules for it state it can be used as either, pick at the start of combat, as far as I'm aware. As you're not breaking the "I'm using this one!" rule by still using your magic weapon, presumably this is about the only case where you can choose to use great weapon or hand weapon+shield in combat.