PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Dwarfs, just starting

Kaldanesh
14-09-2011, 03:56
I should preface this with the fact that I am just starting this army and I splay with a semi-competitive crowd but not looking for tourney level strategy necessarily. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Lords

Rune lord
Anvil, MR Balance, 2 spelleater runes
Runic armor with MR adamant and rune of stone

Heroes
Thane
BSB, MR Gromril, Resistance

Core
19 Longbeards (full command)
great weapons
Standard with 2 runes of sanctuary

30 Dwarf Warriors (full command)
HW shield

14 Thunderers

14 thunderers

Special

30 Hammerers with full command
Standard with MR Grungni

16 slayers
1 Giant Slayer, musician, SB

Cannon with Engineer, rune of reloading

Cannon with Engineer

Any suggestions appreciated...

dwarfhold13
14-09-2011, 04:27
Love the anvil... yeah it blows up... yeah it can ruin your day... but that's the fun in it!
I just used a list like this at a GT and it worked really well:

Runelord w/ anvil mr balance, shield, scroll

thane- bsb 1+ rerollable armor save

thane of pain.. i'm not even going to put this guy in here, he was almost useless except to add some punch in the hammerer unit..

40 GW warriors - standard, mus (awesome!)

10 thunderers w/ shields

10 thunderers w/ shields

33ish hammerers w/ mus and banner... the stubborn in this unit combined with the bsb, it's a very very hard unit to get completely rid of

25 miners standard and mus. (has it's uses with the anvil, but hit or miss

grudge thrower 2 penetrate, 1 accuracy (must have!)

cannon - forging/burning

organ gun

without that thane, you can bring another war machine.. but the list worked pretty well.. horde formation is a must with the dwarfs, just bring 40 of them and they are tough as nails.. keep everything around your bsb and it tends to stick around... the 10 man units of hand gunners.. people tend to ignore them, or try to take them out with little units of skirmishers.. the shields make them stick a little more, but they aren't a huge loss if they run.. they are nice little units

dwarfhold13
14-09-2011, 04:30
oh.. and i wouldn't bother with the slayers.. they make a good tarpit, but you may as well bring them in packs of 10 and keep them for protection for war machines and redirecting units.. they are just expensive for what they do now

deploy everything on the back edge of your deployment zone with the anvil in the middle, grudge thrower and organ gun in front of it, hammerers on one side, warriors on the other then the cannon and thunderers on one flank... usually takes 3 turns for the enemy to get to you, then you charge... really easy to play

Morax
14-09-2011, 16:25
I should preface this with the fact that I am just starting this army and I splay with a semi-competitive crowd but not looking for tourney level strategy necessarily. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Lords

Rune lord
Anvil, MR Balance, 2 spelleater runes
Runic armor with MR adamant and rune of stone

Solid general, I'd take him every time. I do like Thorek for the reroll but that's just me.

Heroes
Thane
BSB, MR Gromril, Resistance

Again solid.

Core
19 Longbeards (full command)
great weapons
Standard with 2 runes of sanctuary

Problem. If you are going to take dwarves you are going to want to give them great weapons 9 times out of 10. If you take great weapons you are going to need the numbers to soak casualties or your unit is going to die quickly. This unit needs to be between 30-40 to be effective.

30 Dwarf Warriors (full command)
HW shield

This unit could stand to lose a few guys, maybe down to 20-25. You don't need much more then that as an anvil unit in a dwarven list.

14 Thunderers

14 thunderers

Thunderers with shields are amazing. Infact I'd say drop the HW Shield warriors and take 6 more thunderers in each unit and give them shields. You will be pleasently surprised how they preform in combat. If you don't beef them up, shrink them down to units of 10 but still give them shields. A thunderer is just a dwarf warrior with a gun and a dwarf warrior with a shield is a nice thing to have.

Special

30 Hammerers with full command
Standard with MR Grungni

One of the best choices in the book. Wouldn't mind seeing 10 more of them though.

16 slayers
1 Giant Slayer, musician, SB

Problem. Slayers are just not what they once were with the enemy always getting their attacks. A unit of 7 in a congo line as a speed bump is rather nice tho and consequently about the only way you will see them included in most lists.

Cannon with Engineer, rune of reloading

Cannon with Engineer

Cannons are nice but a grudge thrower with a rune of accuracy is better. One point lower in strength, both do d6 wounds, similar chances on landing on target, but the grudge thrower serves double duty by being able to put a hurting on units. A couple of runes of penetrating and that unit is going to take more then a hurting. Take a single cannon with rune of forging and rune of burning and a grudge thrower with a rune of penetrating and a rune of accuracy and you will come out ahead.

Any suggestions appreciated...

The dwarves can be a competitive and fun army to play. You do however have to compensate for a few of their weaknesses and keep it balanced.

Kaldanesh
14-09-2011, 23:38
thanks for the help guys. I was taking cannons because that is what I have models for currently. I agree a grudge thrower equipped as suggested sounds amazing.

Hammerers are stupid good. rearranged a few things and came up with:

Runelord, Anvil, MRoB, Spelleater rune x 2
Runic armor with MRoAdamant, Rune of Stone, GW

BSB
MRoGromril, Rune of resistance

28 Dwarf Warriors w/ full command
great weapons, shields

10 thunderers with shields

39 hammerers with shields
Standard with MRoGrungni

20 Miners with full command
prospector with steam drill

Cannon with forging, burning

Grudge thrower with 2 runes of penetration, rune of accuracy, engineer

Organ gun

2496 points

dwarfhold13
15-09-2011, 02:17

if you deploy like i recommended, the only way he will die is if he kills himself.. with mrobalance you really won't need both of those scrolls. even in games where i played a lev4 and 2 lev 2's i almost always had at least the same amount of dice the caster did. try this build for a few games and see what you think: MRoB, Spell breaking x1, stone, shield. he doesn't need any more than that (mine held up for 3 rounds against a unit of ogres, and two gorgers! he has a 2+ armor save w/ 4+ ward from shooting and i think a 6+ in hand to hand.. he is also toughness 10 when shooting at him! keep his points low in case he tried to blow himself up..

BSB
MRoGromril, Rune of resistance

keeper!!!

28 Dwarf Warriors w/ full command
great weapons, shields

can't use the shields with great weapons.. unfortunately it's either/or, but definitely take the great weapons and try to get more in the unit. also, in a pinch, the champ may or may not be useful for the cost.. i only bring champs if there is a character in the unit to divert challanges and use him as a sacrifice

a lot of people on here won't like these little units, but they are great.. they get ignored for most of the game because they are cheap units, but they are still effective enough to do what they need to do. plus if they die, you aren't just handing over gobs of points

39 hammerers with shields
Standard with MRoGrungni

very nice and also very hard to get rid of... i didn't use the banner, but i'm sure it will help

20 Miners with full command
prospector with steam drill

after using this without the steam drill for 5 games, i can say, if you plan on using him for surprise flank charges, keep the ranks, and definitely keep the rerolls for coming up.. also, that steam drill can save your butt if you wanna come on and hit something with high toughness right off the bat.

Cannon with forging, burning

probably the first thing people will want to take out.. so get ready :)

Grudge thrower with 2 runes of penetration, rune of accuracy, engineer

probably don't need the engineer.. i actually forget what he does, but i think it's just rerolling on the misfire chart... if he kept you from rolling on the chart he would be awesome, otherwise he is what? 15 points of an extra wound?

Organ gun

great for it's swivel and shoot ability, and after playing with one, i would almost recommend 2, but like all war machines, if it blows up, you are handing over points... still str. 5 -3 is a nice thing to have

2496 points

I've seen people drop miners to the old 7th edition sneakies.. the 5 miner warmachine wrecking crew.. still useful, but really only for that purpose.. maybe redirecting.
outside of that, it's a lot like what i ran, and it really is a fun list to play, and very hard to get rid of.. i hope in the new book, they have a better idea for slayers.. ya know, even just a 6+ ward like savage orcs would be great, but they are still very expensive. hopefully they make the gyrocopter fit the rest of the flame template rules, then i'd bring one again, but until then.. i'll pass on that guy.

donimator
30-09-2011, 13:31

Does this not go over the 150 points of runic items allowed to a Runelord? I'm counting 205 here.