PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Formation and Characters

havockrauser
14-09-2011, 04:30
I want to run a unit of basic ogres 3 wide by 4 deep with a full command. I then decide to deploy a character in the unit, say a Bruiser. According to the Rulebook he has to go to the second rank.

The rules state that the champion, musician, and standard MUST be in the front rank. It does not, however, say this about other characters joining units).

Does this mean that unless I reform to 4 wide (more attacks, but clumsy battlefield footprint) my character cannot be in the front rank with a full command in the unit?

If so, any suggestions from veteran Ogre players or users of Monstrous infantry?

Yrrdead
14-09-2011, 04:33
Per the regular rulebook , you may Make Way(pg100) into combat, displacing command models for this purpose.

Check the rulebook FAQ for some clarification on movement of characters in units.

havockrauser
14-09-2011, 04:45
This is a useful thing to remember. I guess it just feels cowardly when my Bruiser or Tyrant stands in the second rank of my unit on the way to the enemy.

I also feel that if I played a BSB or a caster such as a butcher, my opponent might see this as a cheesy attempt to protect him from direct attacks in close combat by forcing him to the second rank. Of course this can be easily delt with by killing my champion off, but still...

vstag
14-09-2011, 09:22
Yea whenver I whant to put a character in a unit thats 3 wide like that I will drop the musician or go 4 wide. You will lose you a rank but gain alot more attacks if you go 4 wide and I have not had issues with the bigger footprint. Also I have used full command to put my butcher in the second rank. I have never seen it as cheesy and non of the people I play against think its chessy and have said that a really good idea.