PDA

View Full Version : Magic items

blackstork
14-09-2011, 07:08
Hello,
in 7th were restrictions in choosing magic items for characters, for example mage could not wear any armour or a normal hero could not take magical halberd if he could not take a 'normal' halberd. Are in 8th similar restrictions?

Yrrdead
14-09-2011, 07:21
There are restrictions, these can be found on pg 172 and 173 of the little rulebook.

The restrictions are very similar, though your halberd example is incorrect for either edition :) .

The biggest change I would say is that arcane items can't be repeated at all aside from a few army book only items. So basically only 1 Dispell scroll per army.

Althwen
14-09-2011, 09:29
I did notice something that has changed in the way GW regards wizards and armour.
In earlier editions of Warhammer it was said that Wizards can't wear armour because it would conflict with the flow of magic. Of course there were certain exceptions to this, like Chaos armour.
But in the 8th ed. I can't remember GW saying anything like this.

And with the new Ogre Kingdoms it seems that the current criteria for being able to take magic armour is solely based on whether the upgrades or standard equipment in the armybook unlock that option or not.
The Ogre's version of a wizard can now take magic armour (at least until FAQ'd) because they can take an Iron Fist upgrade.

Not really a question here, just an observation. And one that also confirms Yrrdead's statement that specific weaponry/armory does not need to be unlocked. If a magical weapon happens to be a halberd, anyone who can take a magical weapon can take the magical halberd. (unless stated otherwise ofcourse).

Yrrdead
14-09-2011, 09:42
I find the difference is pretty minimal Althwen.

Magic Armour
[...]A character that is not allowed to wear ordinary armour cannot be given magic armour/helms(unless differently specified in the Army book). A character that is not allowed to carry ordinary shields cannot be given magic shields (unless differently specified in the Army book). This includes many kinds of Wizard whose natural magical harmony would be seriously affected by armour.

Magical Interference
Wizards cannot choose magic armour unless they have an option for 'normal' armour. [...]

The only exception to this is when a Wizard has armour as part of his standard equipment or an option for 'normal armour, such as light armour, or a shield. [...]

Althwen
14-09-2011, 09:49
mm...Magical Interference should have been an obvious clue...

Thanks