PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Vampire

MOMUS
15-09-2011, 18:22
Im putting this list up for a friend who is tweaking his vampire list. Feedback would be very welcome.

Vamp Lord, ghoulkin, forbidden lore (undecided which lore yet), dark acolyte, armour of destiny, the book of arkhan
konrad von carstein,
wight lord, BSB, royal stadard of strigos
wight lord, sword of kings, the gem of blood
wight lord

40 ghouls, ghast
40 ghouls, ghast
20 ghouls, ghast
20 grave guard, full command, banner of the barrows.

Lord goes with gg middle of lines, the two ghoul hordes eithe side one with bsb other with tooled up wight lord and flank one side with the small ghouls, knorad and mono wight lord.

FrostTwig
05-10-2011, 19:50
I beleave that your GG unit is a litle too small, I would drop the group of 20 ghous in order to beef up the GG.

The 20 ghouls would not be able to outflack very well as they would get the inicial move of 8 inches then move slowly for a while as they canot march without a Vampire by there side.

The only problem with using Ghoul kin is that your ghouls get out ahead and that leaves your GG a bit behind when in fact they are what you want to hit the lines first, they are the most killy and most durable. I would also Run the GG with great weapons, but it is realy up to personal Preference.

As for the Lore on the vampire, Lore of the Vampires is always a Solid choice, as you can bring your guys back, move a key unit, or Curce of Years a key unit.

And if you can find the points give BSB and the random WK a great weapon, as the yare not outspeeding much to satrt with and are hard as a rock.

MOMUS
08-10-2011, 14:10
Hey Frosttwig, thanks for the feedback.

I think the GG would be okay at 25, what do you think?

The small 20 ghouls unit has konrad in it so it gets the vamp movement, although he can be stupid sometimes. Which is why he isnt in one of the larger units, as my friend didnt want to hamstring one of his main hitty units.

Good point about the Gweapons. I think plain wight lords are one of the best character choices around, esp for undead.

One thing i have found is, what do undead players use as 'utility' units? I can really mess up my undead opponents game by getting in his flanks with skinks, chameleon skinks, terradons and regular skinks.

Yme-Loc
09-10-2011, 01:01
I rather like the list
bit different than usual lists
i agree lore of vampire's is a great choice for any vampire player, saying so you wouldn't need the book of arkan as vampire knows the spell
beasts is also good choice bumping everyone up to toughness 5 is pretty painfull with the signiture spell
unsure if gem of blood on the wight king is a good idea as he rolls that 1 he dies as he only has 2 wounds and no ward
may be handy to run it on the vampire
4++ and would survive failing it should it happen

BigbyWolf
09-10-2011, 01:13
The small 20 ghouls unit has konrad in it so it gets the vamp movement, although he can be stupid sometimes.

As long as he's in a unit with a Wight King, stupidity should only be a minor issue.

MOMUS
09-10-2011, 04:56
As long as he's in a unit with a Wight King, stupidity should only be a minor issue.

Thats what the plain wight king is for, he essentially babysits konrad. In our last game he was stupid once. Unluckily right when he needed a charge. He is a beast in combat.

I rather like the list, bit different than usual lists

What is a usual undead list? Im not really sure what a traditional undead list 'should' look like so find it hard giving my friend advice.

Yme-Loc
09-10-2011, 10:05
I usual see just one wight king with bsb
another vampire with forbiddan lore to include more magical prowess
only 2 or 3 blocks of units
a couple of direwolves and a varghulf to protect flanks
flanks need protecting but if you block all approaches with the many units in the list it should be fine

MOMUS
09-10-2011, 14:39
I see, maybe lizardmen are just good against undead?

My friend tried a couple of varghulfs in a list but they die really easily to chameleon skinks or terradons turn 1.

Yme-Loc
09-10-2011, 17:17
Thats because skinks are awesome
they can drop most monsters without much effort
the vargulf does in turn need protecting from units such as those and shouldn't be just thrown out to be main priorty until its to late and charging a unit already engaged with an allied unit
gives a charge bonus, a flank bonus, some powerful attacks as the alliied unit provides the rank bonus and banner bonus
works well if you time it
its a personal tactic of mine

MOMUS
09-10-2011, 17:35
Lol yes skinks are awsome, i have a whole army of them.

I think banshees are quite good as a utility unit, im trying to think of a new list for my opponent to use that i would find hard to beat. Something like:

Vampire (death) on steed
Vampire (vampire)
Wight BSB banner strigos
Wight on steed

30 ghouls
30 ghouls
25 Grave guard

8 Skellie knights
vargulf
2 banshees

The idea would be for the vampire with death would move up quick and try to kill my slann and characters. The other vampire boosts the mainline with vampire lore, the banshees are to kill any chameleon skinks or terradons with thier scream ability.

Just a rough idea, but you can see where im going.

Yme-Loc
09-10-2011, 19:09
Banshee heroes are real nice against low and average ld
never played a fast hard hitting vampire army
could work well
need to work hard to stop getting swamped down
maybe give ghoulkin to vampire for scouting ghouls
let them keep up with the army

MOMUS
09-10-2011, 19:31
Ah yes, my regular opponent takes ghoulkin as standard. 25pts and his whole army gets to 'scout' move forward.

Yme-Loc
09-10-2011, 19:56
Ah great minds think alike
would like to see the list once its counted up
curious as to how well it would play

MOMUS
10-10-2011, 20:05
Gah! Writing a vampire list is more difficult than i thought, well heres what i came up with on the train ride in today. I know its not finished, just WIP so far:

Vampire lord w/ghoulkin, forbidden lore (vamp), helm of commandment
Vampire w/forbidden lore (death), nightmare
Wight BSB flag of blood keep

30 ghouls, ghast
30 ghouls ghast
20 graveguard, FC, banner of barrows

7 black knights FC

2 Wraiths, 1 banshee

black coach

...and i ran out of points. Im trying to write a list that will counter mine, my list is good against hordes, monsters and has good magic defence.

Yme-Loc
11-10-2011, 09:42
I personally wouldn't give the lore of death to the lv1 vamp as it has a larger casting value on average
even just switch the lores around
may just give that edge
where is the wight king going?
Unsure if he is worth the points cost for what he has to protect
i prefered the banshee hero idea to the unit
units get hit by the average 2d6 s4 and get wiped especially a unit of 3

MOMUS
12-10-2011, 14:48
I personally wouldn't give the lore of death to the lv1 vamp as it has a larger casting value on average
even just switch the lores around
may just give that edge
where is the wight king going?
Unsure if he is worth the points cost for what he has to protect
i prefered the banshee hero idea to the unit
units get hit by the average 2d6 s4 and get wiped especially a unit of 3

I wanted the death vamp a LVL2 and i didnt know how much the banshee heroes were at the time. The vampire goes in one ghoul horde the wight in the other. I could get rid of one horde to beef up the other and GG but i want to try and get some target saturation going on. The wight is to protect against my salamanders.

Vampire lord w/ghoulkin, forbidden lore (vamp), helm of commandment
Vampire w/forbidden lore (death), dark acolyte, nightmare
Wight BSB flag of blood keep
Banshee

30 ghouls, ghast
30 ghouls ghast
20 graveguard, FC, banner of barrows

7 black knights FC

black coach

~50pts spare

Yme-Loc
12-10-2011, 17:58
The vampire has to many points in vampiric powers 65/50
the banner of blood keep is good or protecting blood knights or even large units of graveguard but ghouls, i don't think so
you could just put in a lot more ghouls for that pricey banner
may even have more ghouls left once you reach combat
or maybe boost the graveguard as they are looking worrying small